Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My Bolton lt1 vs stock ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turtle93
I will say the lt1 is a great motor tho and I have no regret in buying this car, well mabe a little the opti dose suck.
I 100% agree, I flog the **** out of my old *** lt1 and it never misses a beat. 140k~ when I got it and atleast 1 WOT first and second gear pull daily for almost 2 years and 20k miles sense I bought it.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by z99ls1
In stock form the LS1 puts out like 60rwhp more than the lt1. A few bolt-ons is simply not going to make it run with an LS. And alot of this is us just playing around man
lolwut.

Maybe a 50k miles LS1 M6 may dyno 60rwhp more then a 175k neglected stock auto LT1, but at least compare the same drivetrains .

It's more like 35-40 rwhp, and it responds better to mods as well.

It's surely an uphill battle for an LT1 to hang with a similar LS, but don't make it sound like its a B16 vs LS3. A mild bolt-on LT1 can EASILY beat a stock LS1.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Puck
lolwut.

Maybe a 50k miles LS1 M6 may dyno 60rwhp more then a 175k neglected stock auto LT1, but at least compare the same drivetrains .

It's more like 35-40 rwhp, and it responds better to mods as well.

It's surely an uphill battle for an LT1 to hang with a similar LS, but don't make it sound like its a B16 vs LS3. A mild bolt-on LT1 can EASILY beat a stock LS1.
No an LS1 easily puts 50 hp on an lt1. I have owned/ran both bone stock. With my 93 z28 I ran a best of 14.3@97 with k&n, 275 tires, and an ss hood on a 2.02 60ft. After than I did hot cam, small stall, and few bolt-ons and ran mid-low 13's. When I bought my LS BONE STOCK down to paper filter, and shitty 245 tires I ran a 13.5@103.5 on a 2.08 60ft. D/A was about 2500 both runs from lt1 to ls1. I've also raced my friends full bolt-on cammed 97 transam when I only had tune and a few bolt-ons and I would pull him a good amount. I have worked on many lt1 cars and I've seen what they run and I have raced many many lt1's. **** 3 of my good friends have had lt1's for years and I used to be the one in the bolt-on lt1 car running stock ls1's getting pulled. Yes lt1's can keep up to about 50mhp and than the LS goes bye bye fast. A MILD BOLT-ON LT1 SHOULD NOT BEAT A STOCK LS1. SORRY THATS THE FACTS. Coming from someone who has owned both and is really not biased. Just putting it how it is. Even when I owned my LT1 I knew how it was. Me and my lt1 buddies were getting pulled by ls1's everywhere. Except everynow and than you would find a dumbass that couldn't drive and you would hang with them tell the top end
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

With my 93 z28 I ran a best of 14.3@97 with k&n, 275 tires, and an ss hood on a 2.02 60ft.
That's pretty slow unless it's a 2.73 auto car.

My full weight auto (3.23) LT1 vert weighed 3800 lbs with 1/6 of a tank at a transfer station (with me in it). Not sure how accurate that is but picture a full weight car + 150 lb me.

Has run a best of 13.78 @ 100 mph on a 2.03 60' with a +700 DA on 10 year old Continental tires, spinning while shifting. Mods are in sig. Still on stock manifolds and many year old opti. Spark plugs haven't been replaced in 8+ years.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Seen many LT1s when new run 13s stock. Seen many with stock cams runs high 12s n/a with bolt ons. They can run well.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

No an LS1 easily puts 50 hp on an lt1. I have owned/ran both bone stock. With my 93 z28 I ran a best of 14.3@97 with k&n, 275 tires, and an ss hood on a 2.02 60ft. After than I did hot cam, small stall, and few bolt-ons and ran mid-low 13's. When I bought my LS BONE STOCK down to paper filter, and shitty 245 tires I ran a 13.5@103.5 on a 2.08 60ft. D/A was about 2500 both runs from lt1 to ls1. I've also raced my friends full bolt-on cammed 97 transam when I only had tune and a few bolt-ons and I would pull him a good amount. I have worked on many lt1 cars and I've seen what they run and I have raced many many lt1's. **** 3 of my good friends have had lt1's for years and I used to be the one in the bolt-on lt1 car running stock ls1's getting pulled. Yes lt1's can keep up to about 50mhp and than the LS goes bye bye fast. A MILD BOLT-ON LT1 SHOULD NOT BEAT A STOCK LS1. SORRY THATS THE FACTS. Coming from someone who has owned both and is really not biased. Just putting it how it is. Even when I owned my LT1 I knew how it was. Me and my lt1 buddies were getting pulled by ls1's everywhere. Except everynow and than you would find a dumbass that couldn't drive and you would hang with them tell the top end
Looks like your personal bad experience with a lemon has clouded your judgement. FWIW my 93 auto ran 13.9 with stock with 140k on the clock, and I considered that average...if not on the slow side. Never ran it with "mild" bolt-ons, but it was more then half a second faster then your cammed LT1 with "most" bolt-ons.

Not sure what was going on there, but if I had a cammed LT1 run a mid 13 I would burn it right there at the end of the track. Nevermind a cammed/full bolt on LT get pulled by a mild bolt-on/tune LS1 .

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Seen many LT1s when new run 13s stock. Seen many with stock cams runs high 12s n/a with bolt ons. They can run well.
Originally Posted by MuscleCarNut711
That's pretty slow unless it's a 2.73 auto car.

My full weight auto (3.23) LT1 vert weighed 3800 lbs with 1/6 of a tank at a transfer station (with me in it). Not sure how accurate that is but picture a full weight car + 150 lb me.

Has run a best of 13.78 @ 100 mph on a 2.03 60' with a +700 DA on 10 year old Continental tires, spinning while shifting. Mods are in sig. Still on stock manifolds and many year old opti. Spark plugs haven't been replaced in 8+ years.
I guess LT1s just get slower every year while LS1 times stay the same.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Puck
Looks like your personal bad experience with a lemon has clouded your judgement. FWIW my 93 auto ran 13.9 with stock with 140k on the clock, and I considered that average...if not on the slow side. Never ran it with "mild" bolt-ons, but it was more then half a second faster then your cammed LT1 with "most" bolt-ons.

Not sure what was going on there, but if I had a cammed LT1 run a mid 13 I would burn it right there at the end of the track. Nevermind a cammed/full bolt on LT get pulled by a mild bolt-on/tune LS1 .

I guess LT1s just get slower every year while LS1 times stay the same.
Maybe lt1's around here are just shitty lol idk. My car has always ran very well. No one over here thinks it is bolt-on only. The d/a over is high though. Wich is why my lt1 ran 14.3. Im sure it would have ran .4 tenths faster at a track at sea level. Plus my LS runs very healthy. I'm sure if I would have ran it at sea level stock it would have been a very low 13 sec car. Guess it's hard for me to like a motor that quits running when you drive through a puddle of water . I had to replace opti's on that car 3 times and the 700r4 sucked nuts. Not to mention half the lt1's I see don't run right when it's really cold and ****. I spent half the time driving the car and half the time fixing it. Than I got the ls1 and I spend all my time driving the car or modding it . Scene my friends go through the same **** with the damn lt1's and I'm just not a fan of them. They are ok motors. They are strong as long as you don't get any water on them. **** my dads old 96 collectors edition vette never missed a beat, but that also had the lt1 with alot of the opti upgrades and ****. I would say the 95-97 LT1's arent horrible and stay away from the older ones. Not to mention the weak 2 bolt main. I'm happy with my 6 bolt main on my LS1
Old 10-06-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Maybe lt1's around here are just shitty lol idk. My car has always ran very well. No one over here thinks it is bolt-on only. The d/a over is high though. Wich is why my lt1 ran 14.3. Im sure it would have ran .4 tenths faster at a track at sea level. Plus my LS runs very healthy. I'm sure if I would have ran it at sea level stock it would have been a very low 13 sec car. Guess it's hard for me to like a motor that quits running when you drive through a puddle of water . I had to replace opti's on that car 3 times and the 700r4 sucked nuts. Not to mention half the lt1's I see don't run right when it's really cold and ****. I spent half the time driving the car and half the time fixing it. Than I got the ls1 and I spend all my time driving the car or modding it . Scene my friends go through the same **** with the damn lt1's and I'm just not a fan of them. They are ok motors. They are strong as long as you don't get any water on them. **** my dads old 96 collectors edition vette never missed a beat, but that also had the lt1 with alot of the opti upgrades and ****. I would say the 95-97 LT1's arent horrible and stay away from the older ones. Not to mention the weak 2 bolt main. I'm happy with my 6 bolt main on my LS1
Fair enough...50-50 driving:fixing ratio sounds about right .

One of the first things I did to my LT1 was drill the cap and run a vent line into the intake. It hadn't given me any problems, but I was always worried about it. Its a horrible design...I was very happy when MSD released their vented conversion cap, since it allowed the 92-94 guys to get a vented opti without needing a new cam dowel, timing cover, and opti for the conversion.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Driver error=LS1 owners excuse for a loss everytime.

Because they can't handle the truth.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Driver error=LS1 owners excuse for a loss everytime.

Because they can't handle the truth.
You couldn't beat an ls1 running on 7 cylinders

Quick Reply: My Bolton lt1 vs stock ls1?