Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a Rear mount Turbo Z28 with my 03 cobra... He a member of these boards?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VA Speed has taken LS2 blocks to 1,800hp before. The reason, at least from what I've found, that most people go to iron blocks is because they think the aluminum can't take it, when really it's the internals that 95% of people should worry about. The block can hold 1,000+, but most people aren't making that kind of power. Pistons, rods, rings, bearings, etc. is where you get into trouble. Not to mention, the truck motors have lower compression than an actual LSX motor, so that's always a plus.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
^^^ LOLOL...Heater was totally being sarcastic with that comment about them being overrated. He OWNS one haha.

I know i saw the picture before i posted. Just the perfect time to bring the sarcasms to life. As i write this though i must admit. I probally get more excited when i see that 03 body style with cobra written across the back than when a I see a gtr or z51 ls3 vette. It has an amazeing road prescence for a sub 40k car. This is somthing only americans are able to do. What sub 40k foreighn car gets you as pumped as a cobra? Ford actually did somthing right
Old 10-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

anyone doubting that an LS1 can hold boost reliably needs to take a look at my car..it's had a procharger on it running between 6-7 psi since 2003!!!! so yeah like 9 years and it's still going strong..not to meantion had the stock 10 bolt beaten on by myself with over 100 passes all in the 1.6 60ft range with stock 3.23 gears as well as the previous owner before me (who was the one who added the procharger) he beat the **** out of my car as well...i have replaced the 10 bolt with a Moser 12 but only because i needed gears and it made no since to put money into a 10 bolt at my power level..point being..LS1 F bodies are very stout cars in nearly every way..with a good tune 10 psi on a stock LS1 should'nt be a problem
Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Killemall
I know i saw the picture before i posted. Just the perfect time to bring the sarcasms to life. As i write this though i must admit. I probally get more excited when i see that 03 body style with cobra written across the back than when a I see a gtr or z51 ls3 vette. It has an amazeing road prescence for a sub 40k car. This is somthing only americans are able to do. What sub 40k foreighn car gets you as pumped as a cobra? Ford actually did somthing right

If you rolled up on me on the street; you would surely think that Cobra's are over rated.
I roll on the street with Sumitomo's on the back of my car (my car is a true DD), and most slow cars would pwn me on the street with those hard *** tires on it.

As far as being around me in person; I have a dry sense of humor and some like it, and some don't (say that I come across arrogant).
Old 10-20-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
Very true, however, I believe that a mediocre front mount setup is probably better than most off the shelf STS kits out there. Zombie is an exception to that generalization. Isn't zombies setup a stalled auto? It's not common for guys to keep a 6 speed for a turbo setup. Most guys will switch out to a TH400 or built 4l80e/4l65e. Procharger setups seem to be the route most 6speed guys go.
STS piping blows dick, the turbo that comes with the kit is quite nice however.

STS is cheap however.. I have seen complete kits sell for 2,000-2,500$ on here.. Granted you will put another grand in it, 3,500$ is not bad for a FI turbo setup that will be able to do very good in the right hands.

6 speeds should stay away from snails, they need to go blowers. Stalled a4s dominate with a snail.

Yes, he switched from a 6 speed to a stalled auto, dropped ET and raised MPH.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lemons12
Ls1 blocks can hold a nice bit of power.

Properly set up rear mount lag is extremely small. Set it up with pacesetter LTs/6 speed/etcetc and sure, it will take 5 seconds to spool.. Build something like Zombies, you won't be able to hardly tell a difference between his and a front mount.
I know the LS1 block can hold power...I was talking about stock bottom ends though.

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
anyone doubting that an LS1 can hold boost reliably needs to take a look at my car..it's had a procharger on it running between 6-7 psi since 2003!!!! so yeah like 9 years and it's still going strong..not to meantion had the stock 10 bolt beaten on by myself with over 100 passes all in the 1.6 60ft range with stock 3.23 gears as well as the previous owner before me (who was the one who added the procharger) he beat the **** out of my car as well...i have replaced the 10 bolt with a Moser 12 but only because i needed gears and it made no since to put money into a 10 bolt at my power level..point being..LS1 F bodies are very stout cars in nearly every way..with a good tune 10 psi on a stock LS1 should'nt be a problem
You may have gotten lucky or it may just be a spot on tune. It is something you hear about quite often though....guys blowing stock bottom end LS1's at a very small boost level. Theres a list in the FI part of this site and it seems like half the boosted LS1's blew up less than 2-3 years after they were built at very low boost levels. Why, I don't know. I'm sure like I said before that it has a lot to do with the tune, but an LS1 is also a high revving, high compression motor, and with crap stock rod bolts and boost...you have a combo for dissaster if your not careful.

STS is cheap however.. I have seen complete kits sell for 2,000-2,500$ on here.. Granted you will put another grand in it, 3,500$ is not bad for a FI turbo setup that will be able to do very good in the right hands.

6 speeds should stay away from snails, they need to go blowers. Stalled a4s dominate with a snail.

Hey, I have a snail and a 6 speed! But I can't build a car thats an auto...boosted or not. Mine is a pure street car and whether it performs better or not, I could never drive an auto around and have the same kind of fun and driving experience.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Op, are you the same intervention from MF? This is Stone. If so, you should post it up over there as well.

Awesome run. Both cars look like they move out pretty good!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the sts kits can be had pretty cheap. I don't like that they package them with inferior oil cooling so you'd need to go aftermarket as that seems to be a piece that isn't up to snuff. Also I think they come with a T67 turbo readily IIRC. If I had a 6 speed to start with, I would have went with an F1 for sure.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

It makes no sense to me why anyone would buy a turbo kit when it can easily be fabbed/put together for less than half the price.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GtoSpd
It makes no sense to me why anyone would buy a turbo kit when it can easily be fabbed/put together for less than half the price.
Right on! Built mine from the ground up for probably less than $2200 and thats with a Tial BOV and wastegate, and a turbonetcs turbo (turbo was used).
Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree to a extent. STS pipes on the exhaust side suck. the cold side is ok with some mods. I hacked up my 3700 dollar kit to make it better back in the day. I was a six speed car with a rearmount. street wise autos couldent hold me track was a differant story. I raced a 4000 stall trex 402 on a 150 shot, I was on 8 psi first go around and he put a fender on me. Second I up to 14 psi and I put a fender on him. We both had tires aswell. We race from 30mph on the street and Id walk him bad. If I where a track only racer Id do a auto all day but i do both so id stay with a six speed.

Oh and to the op. 520whp on 4psi is complete bull, that car had no pull what so ever. good kill on sombody that just spent money on somthing he dosent know **** about lol.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some people would spend twice to learn once, rather than learn first and spend less, I guess. I still wouldn't go with a rear mount with all the options available out there these days.

Just my opinion. But I always thought a good rule of thumb is to keep **** close together, when it comes to snails. Not way the hell out back like that...

Quick Reply: Raced a Rear mount Turbo Z28 with my 03 cobra... He a member of these boards?