Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on G8 vs Procharged GTO *vid*

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt on G8 vs Procharged GTO *vid*

By no means am I suggesting my Bolt on G8 GT is faster than a Procharged M6 Ls2 GTO. The outcome is these very short runs are not typical and the 50-100 run is just a third gear pull for me. If we ran to 130 I'm sure he would get me in the top end.

I believe the GTO was still running stock cats BTW.

G8 GT has Longtubes, Intake, Exhaust, ported intake manifold and runs consistent 12.6s-12.7s.

[youtube]7dQ_mbk2974[/youtube]

This is more a testament for how well my car runs from a roll than a knock on the GTO. It is a friends ride who swapped the procharger for a maggie. His car would destroy me now. I love the commentary lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff Ike! Suprised to see this but your car does run really well. From what I've seen LS2 GTO's are hit or miss with how they run. Before opening the thread I thought you were screwed!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Launching!

A Maggie is better than a Procharger? I thought it was the other way around.

Someone educate me cuz I'm about to drop the dime on a Procharger.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by No Hope
A Maggie is better than a Procharger? I thought it was the other way around.

Someone educate me cuz I'm about to drop the dime on a Procharger.
Guess it depends on supporting mods and who is tuning it. I believe prochargers are a stronger up top, but if the car can't breathe through the exhaust then well... Maggies do give you a lot of peak torque down low. However, this is just the experience I have with the cars around me.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GOod run!

between me and Yeti noone should doubt a G8's potential with minimal mods. im pretty sure id run 12.6's if i didnt have wheelspin on the launch and the 1-2 shift since i run zero TQ management and better DA. my DA was 680 when i ran. our tall gearing hurts us down low but makes for good roll cars
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Good run, but what the hell is wrong w/ that GTO? Running stock cats means no LTs...any other mods on it besides the Procharger?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Yeti
Guess it depends on supporting mods and who is tuning it. I believe prochargers are a stronger up top, but if the car can't breathe through the exhaust then well... Maggies do give you a lot of peak torque down low. However, this is just the experience I have with the cars around me.
I have ARH 1 7/8" headers with cats. Borla 3" exhaust, LS3 heads

The install on a Procharger has to be through the roof.

Does anybody know the price difference between the two on a install?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

You can sugar coat it all you want. G8=Impressive GTO=Pathetic

FWIW Id take a procharger anyday over a Maggy.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Procharger is on backwards.. turn it around and try again.
Good runs!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd sell my GTO if it had a blower on it and couldn't pull a high 12 second car from a roll.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
You can sugar coat it all you want. G8=Impressive GTO=Pathetic

Agree....
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Good races, it's always fun suprising cars that should beat you up!

On a side note, you start in 3rd gear at 50 mph?

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
For me it depends what kind of car it's going on and what I want to do with it. With the G8's being heavy with tall gearing, the cars with Magnason blowers seem to run stronger. Of course, there's no heat soak with a centri blower...
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
For me it depends what kind of car it's going on and what I want to do with it. With the G8's being heavy with tall gearing, the cars with Magnason blowers seem to run stronger. Of course, there's no heat soak with a centri blower...
I agree...the heavier cars like the G8s, GTOs, 5th gens, etc. benefit from the Maggies because they produce great low end torque to get 'em moving.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No Hope
I have ARH 1 7/8" headers with cats. Borla 3" exhaust, LS3 heads

The install on a Procharger has to be through the roof.

Does anybody know the price difference between the two on a install?
Far as I know, you cannot run a maggie or any other top mounted supercharger with your LS3 heads on a GTO. Ask me how I know.

The races in the vid where indicative of a very poor GTO driver and not a slow GTO. Watch very carefully and listen: the GTO doesn't even bother downshifting his auto car and just hits the gas. He also hits the gas AFTER the G8 (which is holding the proper gear). A procharger car has lag alot like a turbo car: if you dont get the rpms up and build the pressure properly it's not gonna run anywhere near its potential. Put me or another experienced driver in that seat and the G8 would be losing by multiple car lengths. Period.

Nice G8 btw: I still get that feeling of regret/desire every time I see a G8 GT rolling around. I went back and forth between one of those and a used GTO for at least 4 months of car shopping and still think the G8 is the best looking Pontiac ever made.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Far as I know, you cannot run a maggie or any other top mounted supercharger with your LS3 heads on a GTO. Ask me how I know.

The races in the vid where indicative of a very poor GTO driver and not a slow GTO. Watch very carefully and listen: the GTO doesn't even bother downshifting his auto car and just hits the gas. He also hits the gas AFTER the G8 (which is holding the proper gear). A procharger car has lag alot like a turbo car: if you dont get the rpms up and build the pressure properly it's not gonna run anywhere near its potential. Put me or another experienced driver in that seat and the G8 would be losing by multiple car lengths. Period.

Nice G8 btw: I still get that feeling of regret/desire every time I see a G8 GT rolling around. I went back and forth between one of those and a used GTO for at least 4 months of car shopping and still think the G8 is the best looking Pontiac ever made.
Thank you for the analysis. I do think a driver mod would help, but it wasnt the deciding factor. He was a manual car and was downshifting and holding the proper gear. It is a my friends car and we just left the track. We had our windows down and agreed to the roll. He could hear the horns. I see his car squating when he hits it about when i do.

With 150rwhp than me i would think that from 50 to 100ish he would pass me by. My car just holds her own really well at that speed. I have hung with a procharged srt8, a maggied G8 and a pro charged gto from those speeds. My car is not faster than anyy of them, it just runs really well at that speed.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good races, it's always fun suprising cars that should beat you up!

On a side note, you start in 3rd gear at 50 mph?

i start in 2nd at 50.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM

Gotcha, I was just confused by this lol

The outcome is these very short runs are not typical and the 50-100 run is just a third gear pull for me.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the analysis. I do think a driver mod would help, but it wasnt the deciding factor. He was a manual car and was downshifting and holding the proper gear. It is a my friends car and we just left the track. We had our windows down and agreed to the roll. He could hear the horns. I see his car squating when he hits it about when i do.

With 150rwhp than me i would think that from 50 to 100ish he would pass me by. My car just holds her own really well at that speed. I have hung with a procharged srt8, a maggied G8 and a pro charged gto from those speeds. My car is not faster than anyy of them, it just runs really well at that speed.
If I was driving that GTO you would have lost by about 38.5 lengths...
Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

Horrible, horrible, horrible GTO driver.
A P1 procharger on an otherwise stock LS1 car puts about 430rwhp. Which is more than enough to beat that G8. That's an LS2.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

what did he run/trap at the track?