Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

rustang vs ls1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i bought that, i had my eye on an ltd2 wagon. i REALLY thought that'd be something neat. at that time though, i couldn't make myself do the wagon, and got this car for $400, with a running 250 in it. i sold the engine/tranny for a little more than the car cost me.
and thanks.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
when i bought that, i had my eye on an ltd2 wagon. i REALLY thought that'd be something neat. at that time though, i couldn't make myself do the wagon, and got this car for $400, with a running 250 in it. i sold the engine/tranny for a little more than the car cost me.
and thanks.
lol i got 150 out of engine and trans. ill put it toward gt40p exploder engine
Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Heater
LoL, that's just Hio grasping at straws to hate on the Fox Body's.
Heh... I don't live in that area, of course... Good thing or I'd be tempted to grab an old Fox body and build it to run 10's on motor, driver capable, just to get under his skin. I remember a guy who had a S/C'd 90ish coupe which ran 10.80's and still had all the stuff it came from the factory with, including the 302 itself. He refused a cage and was kicked off the track several times. I was simply stunned it stayed together.

If someone real big (heavy) drove one for extended period of time; it would push one corner of the floor down under the seat. That would cause the "gangsta lean" that was so common with the drivers seat. Several sub frame connectors have the design that has "arms" that bolt to the underside of the seat in that area to reinforce the floor so that you don't get the "gangsta lean".

I've only seen one with the torque boxes ripped out and it was during the mid 90's. The car I saw was a local guys car that ran Southside Machine bars on it and he launched it at 6000 RPM's on nitrous. This particular car at that time was probably one of the most raced cars in our area. I was told that torque boxes being torn out was blamed on the Southsides.
Just by not having a cage(or bar), these things can happen. My torque boxes both came loose the same day. I almost never used slicks and if I remember correctly, I'd had the car just over 4yrs at the time. It ran 11's on standard rubber and STILL tore out those boxes. I was on a 4-lane road at the time, going all of about 40mph. They'd just had enough.

The floor gave way as well, but I never realized it till I decided to pull them out for carpet removal and racing seat and roll bar installation. Donno when it happened, but "the lean" itself wasn't so bad. I just reinforced it with a steel plate after brazing the split back together. Incidentally, both front seat areas looked basically the same.

The plan was to get a 6pt and to do it 3wks after it got done... Since those boxes broke loose, I just had to do it sooner. Perhaps the best $250 I ever invested in that old Fox. I'd already installed SS bars... AND removed them! They just didn't seem to get it right for me, so I switched to double adjustable uppers and single adjustable lowers. With that, I removed the "quad" shock as well and the car could pull 1.8's just about any time at the track... with regular tires. My brother set the pinion angle and off I went.

No car is perfect, and when you push one to the point past what it was designed to do; you are going to find it's weakness's.
GM 10 bolt anyone?

Not to mention that when really pushed, just about everything will break in any car someone drag races with good power output. I broke so many parts on Mustangs I can't remember what DIDN'T... I even split my block in two. THAT was funny! Lost my engine but I won the race!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
if i ever get off of my lazy ***, and finish it, i'll post pics of this running......

it'll be fun watching kids try to figure out what the hell just hammered em into the weeds.
Btw, does/did that one have the "Futura" nameplate on it? I see you(or someone else) removed the Ford logo.

Get 'er done... That thing could be a real runner!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by It'llrun
GM 10 bolt anyone?
Shush, no one asked you
Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Shush, no one asked you
D'oh! Muh-bad... Won't happen again(in this thread about that item).
Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Btw, does/did that one have the "Futura" nameplate on it? I see you(or someone else) removed the Ford logo.

Get 'er done... That thing could be a real runner!
it had the futura plates on it, but i removed them for the 5.0 badges. the goofy little trim piece just behind the door fell off one day while i was working on the engine.

the "honk if parts fall off" sticker is staying no matter what i do to it.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

It'll run, a built 10 sec fox is not gonna scare me. Especially when I'm about to go out on a 25* morning and drive my car. The only thing keeping my stock ls6 out of the 10's is a good rearend.....and that is in the works. It takes me a little longer than most because I build this **** myself with friends helping from time to time.

Some of you Ford guys talk about how your gonna "build" something....that's all fine and a good combination is all it takes to make anything run. So far you have have to "build" your engine just to keep up with my stock 80,000 mile gm production engine. The worst part is that gm has other production engines that is better than mine, ls2,ls3 and the ls7 of which I have one. With that said, you better build a 9 sec fox.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Teching In

or just put a ls6 in a fox
Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85mustang351
ive tried to talk hios into this when he pulls it out for ls7 swap
Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I would never ever put a GM motor in a Ford. You can go fast with Ford motors etc...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by 85mustang351
That would be the easiest way to get one to run 10's. Your typical fox build will scrap the ac, tube k member, other weight removal w/o gettin to fancy could get you a 2850lb car +/-. That is 200-230lb less than my car weight w/o me when it ran my sig time. Decent traction and it's easily in the 10's.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Maybe you've been looking under some that have really been abused.

I see the floor being weak as probably the biggest problem; like I said I haven't seen that many with the torque boxes torn out of them.

Then again most people that I know that race theirs, have the torque boxes welded up before they do any damage to them.
I'm a little late but here's a picture of my driver side floor. Its has had kenny brown sub frames on it. Best 60' is 1.65-1.7s. No torque box issues and i had south side lift bars on it for years.
Attached Thumbnails rustang vs ls1-sprintphoto_bgticw.jpg  

Last edited by 03turbomach1; 01-30-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 AM
***Repost Police***

When I finally finish school, I'm going to build a Fox notch with either an LSx or 351W.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
When I finally finish school, I'm going to build a Fox notch with either an LSx or 351W.
Sounds slow
Old 01-30-2012, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It'll run, a built 10 sec fox is not gonna scare me. Especially when I'm about to go out on a 25* morning and drive my car. The only thing keeping my stock ls6 out of the 10's is a good rearend.....and that is in the works. It takes me a little longer than most because I build this **** myself with friends helping from time to time.

Some of you Ford guys talk about how your gonna "build" something....that's all fine and a good combination is all it takes to make anything run. So far you have have to "build" your engine just to keep up with my stock 80,000 mile gm production engine. The worst part is that gm has other production engines that is better than mine, ls2,ls3 and the ls7 of which I have one. With that said, you better build a 9 sec fox.
Your comparing the old 5.0 against ls1,ls6. The ford guys can easily put the cobra 2003 motor, new 5.0, or the aftermarket 5.0 to Keep up or demolish your 80,000 mile ride.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BurtReynolds
Your comparing the old 5.0 against ls1,ls6. The ford guys can easily put the cobra 2003 motor, new 5.0, or the aftermarket 5.0 to Keep up or demolish your 80,000 mile ride.
I have a 03 swap in my fox and i bet its close with him having the edge. good possibility he will out run me. we will run in the spring and post vids.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

Some of us like "building" motors.

Don't get me wrong, going fast on a stock motor is fine and dandy; but will only take you so fast.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Some of us like "building" motors.

Don't get me wrong, going fast on a stock motor is fine and dandy; but will only take you so fast.
some people would rather just bolt really good **** on it. it does take less time and doesnt require as much work. as making the stock stuff fast
Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
some people would rather just bolt really good **** on it. it does take less time and doesnt require as much work. as making the stock stuff fast
And some people prefer to talk **** when people take a different route to going fast.

Quick Reply: rustang vs ls1