Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2000 Firebird Trans Am WS.6 vs. 2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Here you go with that fanboy nonsense again. There is very little "new technology" in the new 5.0 that helps it make more power, it's just a different motor than what was used before. The LS3 isn't "new tech," it's just bigger than the LS1 and uses better parts. And I've always been one to praise the LSx motors. The new 5.0 doesn't use magic or some brand new super-technological processes to make more power than the old 4.6, just better parts and more displacement. So saying, "but it's newer technology!" is just whining. It's no different than complaining about larger displacement. If people want to race their fourth gens against newer cars, that's fine...just don't complain when you get beaten.
I'm talking LS1 dude. Go back and read. Automobiles evolve throughout the years. That's a fact.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
It irritates me when I see this crap. Stock foxes never ran 13's.
I heard this a lot back then, stock always included bumped timing, missing belts, missing sway bars, missing interior and on more than 1 occasion sticky tires.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Smile

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
I heard this a lot back then, stock always included bumped timing, missing belts, missing sway bars, missing interior and on more than 1 occasion sticky tires.
Exactly! "Stock" for Mustang enthusiasts has always been different than anything else.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
lx's were hitting 13.9's. 14.0s for the average driver. camaros were mid/low 15's for good drivers, high 15's for average drivers.

remember...the gt's were heavy and slow. the lx was where performance was at for mustangs back ythen.
I'll just put this out there for ya.....your full of ****. I've known plenty of guys with old 5.0's. Bone stock a mid 14 is about it, most not that fast. A auto 5.0 is mid 15. Funny how some of you think those cars were faster then they were. I never lost to one one in my old 305 Monza that ran a 15.1. When I put a rebuilt stock 350 in it with some minor tinkering it ran a 13.8 it wod flat obliterate 5.0's. With that said my dads 85 tpi Iroc could out run that car when it had the 305.....you can figure what it did to 5.0 foxes.

There were alot of irocs and z28's back then that were not tpi cars. Big difference in performance.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

Funny how those guys forget that. I was around then, I know how they ran. I watched them faid away in my rearview.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go with that fanboy nonsense again. There is very little "new technology" in the new 5.0 that helps it make more power, it's just a different motor than what was used before. The LS3 isn't "new tech," it's just bigger than the LS1 and uses better parts. And I've always been one to praise the LSx motors. The new 5.0 doesn't use magic or some brand new super-technological processes to make more power than the old 4.6, just better parts and more displacement. So saying, "but it's newer technology!" is just whining. It's no different than complaining about larger displacement. If people want to race their fourth gens against newer cars, that's fine...just don't complain when you get beaten.
I'm talking LS1 dude. Go back and read. Automobiles evolve throughout the years. That's a fact.
Agreed. How are better parts made? From technological advancements. To say that an ls3 is just an ls1 with more displacement is ignorant. Do they use the same camshaft design, cylinder heads and intake? No, that's all from technology moving forward in the past 15 years. Same with the 5.0, saying it's a 4.6 with better parts doesn't quite fit the bill. The 4.6 didn't have the same intake and exhaust setup as the new 5.0, and it didn't have independent cam timing etc. So a 15 year old ls1 running with a 3 year old 5.0 is impressive as hell.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by MACH32V
All cars run different...generalizing does not mean that what is considered the norm will always be the case. When my MACH was basically stock, I raced quite a few LS1s and in some cases I won and some I lost. It usually came down to had that one "extra" mod. Regardless, they were never run away races for either side.....BTW, I owned both cars...my MACH and an 01 Z28, so I am well aware of the capabilites of both.
Machs had one gear/tranny combo that made them competitive...it all depends on the gear/tranny combo of the competing car.

Originally Posted by why87
Agreed. How are better parts made? From technological advancements. To say that an ls3 is just an ls1 with more displacement is ignorant. Do they use the same camshaft design, cylinder heads and intake? No, that's all from technology moving forward in the past 15 years. Same with the 5.0, saying it's a 4.6 with better parts doesn't quite fit the bill. The 4.6 didn't have the same intake and exhaust setup as the new 5.0, and it didn't have independent cam timing etc. So a 15 year old ls1 running with a 3 year old 5.0 is impressive as hell.
Independent cam timing does not make a car faster...it allows it to keep better street manners. When I say "better parts," what else would I be talking about besides better cams, heads, and intake manifolds? Did some technological breakthrough happen that made these things possible? No. They just did things better and bigger. Like the LS3 vs. LS1. Both good motors, one with more displacement, and better parts. Is one "newer tech?" Not in my opinion.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:18 AM
***Repost Police***

Exactly! "Stock" for Mustang enthusiasts has always been different than anything else.
Just to dip to your level for a while, if you weren't so busy sucking the LSx owners' dicks on this forum, maybe you wouldn't be such an *******. Nobody gives a **** what you own now or had in the past. And I definitely don't care what you say now. I say what I say, with no regard to manufacturer. You say I'm a "Ford fanboy," but you go way out of your way to diss Fords and defend GMs. Are you trying that hard to impress people? Try posting in the tech sections then... Those of us who aren't trying to impress anybody will keep doing what they've been doing for six and a half years...
Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 AM
On The Tree

Maybe that goes along the same lines as "Cam Only"
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 AM
TECH Regular

Machs had one gear/tranny combo that made them competitive...it all depends on the gear/tranny combo of the competing car.

Independent cam timing does not make a car faster...it allows it to keep better street manners. When I say "better parts," what else would I be talking about besides better cams, heads, and intake manifolds? Did some technological breakthrough happen that made these things possible? No. They just did things better and bigger. Like the LS3 vs. LS1. Both good motors, one with more displacement, and better parts. Is one "newer tech?" Not in my opinion.
Does that not corelate with being able to run more aggressive cam profiles? And not just tech advancements in the engine itself, but the design and manufacturing processes over the years have made it possible for the engineers to build stronger, lighter and more powerful engines.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:33 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by why87
Does that not corelate with being able to run more aggressive cam profiles? And not just tech advancements in the engine itself, but the design and manufacturing processes over the years have made it possible for the engineers to build stronger, lighter and more powerful engines.
It can, yes. But VTEC doesn't make cars faster (yes I know that's the wrong company)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
Lol. I wasn't trying to imply only ford guys simplify things or fib a little.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

i did plenty of that in real life.

5 liter fox's were hitting 13's....barley, but they were......while the same era camaros were lucky to hit 14.9's.

No way. Only Fox that might run 13s stock in great air was a 93 Cobra. 87-88 Coupes with no options might run low 14s in great air as well

lx's were hitting 13.9's. 14.0s for the average driver. camaros were mid/low 15's for good drivers, high 15's for average drivers.

remember...the gt's were heavy and slow. the lx was where performance was at for mustangs back ythen.

I disagree with that. Some 350TPI Camaros especially the later model Z28s with dual cats and 323s could run low 14s. My 350 Formula did and was an 89 which is not the fastest(non MAF 90 and up were). Some dual cat 305TPIs M5s could run mid 14s as well. Most v8 Camaros from that era were TBI,LG4 or 305 TPI automatics with the peanut cam(TBI cam) hence the bad rap for being slow.
A Gt with the same option vs an LX was about a 40 pound difference. Thats a big time myth.

If you knew what you were doing you could get a fast third gen-you just needed to know what engine,trans combo to get. If you were going to mod the car the Mustang was the better choice by far. Way more parts,cheaper and you could run a real tire on the car just beefing up the 8.8. The fbody rears were terrible.

It irritates me when I see this crap. Stock foxes never ran 13's.
Agree.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Just to dip to your level for a while, if you weren't so busy sucking the LSx owners' dicks on this forum, maybe you wouldn't be such an *******. Nobody gives a **** what you own now or had in the past. And I definitely don't care what you say now. I say what I say, with no regard to manufacturer. You say I'm a "Ford fanboy," but you go way out of your way to diss Fords and defend GMs. Are you trying that hard to impress people? Try posting in the tech sections then... Those of us who aren't trying to impress anybody will keep doing what they've been doing for six and a half years...
You sound like a hater dude. Chill out.

Besides, people actually agree with me. The same cant be said for you.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Heater
If you don't understand what the term "Cam-only" means in the LT/LS world by now then you'll just never get it...
Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

It can, yes. But VTEC doesn't make cars faster (yes I know that's the wrong company)
That's not even a car manufacturer
Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 PM
***Repost Police***

You sound like a hater dude. Chill out.

Besides, people actually agree with me. The same cant be said for you.
Yeah man, I'm the hater...
Old 03-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Yeah man, I'm the hater...
You obviously are to allow your soft side to show like that. Not to mention talk about cars that *I* own. Pathetic loser is more like it.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I dont want to sound like a dick, but L92 heads are new tech to me. Cathedral VS Rectangular is new tech, so is the intake. For the rest, it might be considered bigger and better..
Old 03-25-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Well first the ws6 wasn't stock. Also hard to compare an auto to manual. Specially on a roll where the auto takes for ever to drop down. 95% of people here has already stated they are not close stock.
this vid hurts you so much!!

Quick Reply: 2000 Firebird Trans Am WS.6 vs. 2011 Mustang GT 5.0