Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Had A Blast Lining Up Against A Few Cars This Weekend! (Long Read)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Had A Blast Lining Up Against A Few Cars This Weekend! (Long Read)

I got a message yesterday that there was going to be a small money race between a 2002ish Mustang GT and a 2004 AMG E55. The GT was supposedly an all motor car, so I wanted to come out and watch this race. I know those E55's are no joke, so I figured the GT either had some nitrous that he was hiding, or it was going to be one of the only well built 2V's I've seen in person.

A bunch of us met up and they did whatever negotiations they were doing. The GT was a 5-speed, with Trickflow heads, cams, bolt-ons, and Mickey Thompson drag radials. The E55 is 100% stock.

I followed them out, but I was far enough back that it was hard to see the race. The race was heads up, from a dig to a marked 1/4 mile. From talking to a bunch of people afterwards it sounds like the GT launched hard and got out in front, holding the lead for a bit before the E55 picked up steam and cranked by him. They said it was a good race, with the E55 getting the solid win.

I talked to both afterwards, both nice guys, and the guy with the GT says he doesn't know what it makes for power and hasn't taken it to the track yet, but I'm curious to see how it would do.

We all bs'd a bit and then the guy with the E55 asked me if I'd like to run him. I was definitely down for a race, and heated the bottle up. The race was going to be from a dig to a marked 1/4 and he asked me if I'd give him the hit since I was on drag radials and he was on the stock tires. I gave him a little crap about it, just to bust his *****, but it's all in good fun, so I told him no problem.

My car is a 2009 G8 GT – Vararam Intake, ARH Long Tube Headers w/Catted X-Pipe, Solo Performance Axle Back Exhaust, SLP Underdrive Pulley, Tune, 17” Wheels w/295 Mickey Thompson Drag Radials, nitrous.

I had the same jetting in that gained me exactly 100 rwhp on the dyno, and I had a passenger. He was alone in the E55.

We went out and I heated up the tires quick, then we lined up. I honked once to let him know I was ready and when he went, I jumped on it as fast as I could. He probably pulled out a car and a half or so before I stopped his pull. I started coming back and got to his rear bumper, and then it felt like the nitrous was shutting off and turning on again a few times. He crept back out to a little over a car and held there as we crossed the line. Right after the race my SES light started flashing, but turned off about a 1/2 mile later.

We went back and shook hands, and gave each other props on a great race. I didn't mention my car having any issues since you run what you brung and he beat me fair and square.

I didn't race anymore last night, but the car seemed to be driving fine. This morning I pulled the plugs to check them and found that one of them was totally smoked. 100% my fault for leaving the stock plugs in it after installing the nitrous. I swapped in a set of NGK TR6's and it seemed to be running good.

I ended up meeting up with a few friends this afternoon and we lined up a few races (all motor races). First up was my buddy in his 2006 GTO. The car is an M6 and is stock except for a cold air intake. He had a passenger and I was alone.

We headed out and lined up at about 40 mph, with both of us in 2nd gear. 3 honks later and we were off, with me slowly walking out. I probably got a little over a car on him by 100ish, where we let out due to some traffic up ahead.

With no one behind us we slowed to about 20 mph, with both of us in 1st gear. 3 honks and we hit it, with me walking out again, this time getting him by about 2 cars up to 120 mph.

Next up, I lined up with a 2009 370Z, M6. His car has intake pipes, high flow cats, and a catback exhaust.

We did a 40 mph roll, both in 2nd. 3 honks and we were off, with him hanging for a second before I started to walk away. He probably let out at about 110 mph, with me 3 cars or so in the lead.

That was the first 370 that I've taken a good look at in person and it was a really nice ride. The stock wheels are badass and it moves out much better than my friend's 2003 350Z did back in the day, but I guess 45 extra hp will do that

The last race of the weekend was with my friend in his 2001 Camaro SS, M6. His car is stock except for a lid and off road Y-pipe and dynoed 324/341.

We did a 45 mph roll, both in 2nd gear, and he honked it off. We hit it at the same time and I walked out about 3/4 of a car through 2nd and 3rd gear, and then slowly continued to creep away through 4th. I probably got him by a little over a car up to 125 or so.

Overall, a great weekend! I got a bunch of races in, avoided a potential disaster with my car, and it seems to be running as strong as it ever has
Old 03-11-2012, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice races, any chance of a rematch with that AMG?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like good times.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:15 PM

I don't think there will be any trouble getting a rematch with the AMG. He's always out running someone.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

You should have filmed this!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 PM

I've gotten bored with filming races. Gonna post some the old fashion way
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Banned

But watching races is a lot more thrilling than reading bout them. There are some details that you must see, not read.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^yes!
its nice to read some good runs once in a while
Old 03-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
But watching races is a lot more thrilling than reading bout them. There are some details that you must see, not read.
There are plenty of threads with videos. I put right in the title that it's a race story, not video.

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
^^yes!
its nice to read some good runs once in a while
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kills and honorable death. That G8 sounds like it is pretty stout.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great runs. Glad that you seem to have the power issue figured out with the G8. Curious to see how it does with the nitrous now, especially against a certain 5.0 you've run before.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by crazboy99
Good kills and honorable death. That G8 sounds like it is pretty stout.
Thanks! It seems to be running pretty good. Hopefully next month I can get it back up to the track and try out the spray.

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Great runs. Glad that you seem to have the power issue figured out with the G8. Curious to see how it does with the nitrous now, especially against a certain 5.0 you've run before.
We were supposed to line up yesterday morning, but the WRX modded up and now his tune is off or something, and the S4 is broken again I think. I told them to wait until everyone got their issues sorted out as we can line them all up at once.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't swap to a colder plug? What a rookie!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Didn't swap to a colder plug? What a rookie!
Lol, that's what happens when I rush to finish and then get lazy
Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Sounds like fun.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's a nice change of pace to see you post a written kill instead of a video since your posts are always vids. Good kills in the G8. Surprised you pulled the GTO motor to motor.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks! I think the passenger in the GTO might have been the deciding factor. Also, in the second race it sounded like the GTO was chattering the tires through first gear. Not blowing them off, but not dead hooking either. Hopefully we can line up again soon with equal passengers and try some different speeds.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Launching!

write up...vids get boreingNice
Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 AM

I'm thinking that for the rematch with the AMG I might run him on a 75 shot, but with an even start and no passenger. Should be interesting.

Quick Reply: Had A Blast Lining Up Against A Few Cars This Weekend! (Long Read)