Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Finally ran a new 5.0 ......and lost !

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably will get it checked out soon , cost's so much to get a damn dyno tune and if it doesn't make more power it's gonna be a shitty day ! My car has only got 50,000 miles on it so i really doubt it's got any serious issues with the drivetrain, transmission,etc. Started modding at 28,000 miles had the headers and gears installed about a year or so ago. All work and tune was done at Synergy ! He charges a pretty penny to say the least and it kinda makes you not want to go unless you really need to ! Like I said b4 was on shitty tires with a weak *** launch (stock 10 bolt) when i ran that 112 trap . I'm sure it has more in it just dont want to blow up the rear and get towed from the track !
Old 04-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
Probably will get it checked out soon , cost's so much to get a damn dyno tune and if it doesn't make more power it's gonna be a shitty day ! My car has only got 50,000 miles on it so i really doubt it's got any serious issues with the drivetrain, transmission,etc. Started modding at 28,000 miles had the headers and gears installed about a year or so ago. All work and tune was done at Synergy ! He charges a pretty penny to say the least and it kinda makes you not want to go unless you really need to ! Like I said b4 was on shitty tires with a weak *** launch (stock 10 bolt) when i ran that 112 trap . I'm sure it has more in it just dont want to blow up the rear and get towed from the track !
What do you mean weak launch? babying it out of the hole? Trap speeds aren't affected much by babying it out. Maybe by a 1-2 mph? An efficient H/C should be in the 120s.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

U don't need to have him run it on the dyno just have him do a diagnostic on it. Just call and say you think somethings up with it and u want him to look over it. U should of smoked Rob, that's why I think there's an issue
Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
U don't need to have him run it on the dyno just have him do a diagnostic on it. Just call and say you think somethings up with it and u want him to look over it. U should of smoked Rob, that's why I think there's an issue
This. I doubt a shop wants a car they put there hands on to run shitty and make them look bad.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Diagnostic check huh ,not a bad idea ! ^^^ I Don't think he is too worried about his rep being tarnished because of one car that doesn't perform to the expectations of others (or myself) ! I'll try to get him to look at it before this month is up and see if I am down on power or something .
Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

If you have the small skills it takes you can do a compression check and leak down test in your driveway
Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BayArea ws6
So I finally ran a new 5.0 this Sunday . Needless to say it didn't go my way ! Even though I lost I'm just glad I finally got a run with one so it's all good !

Took forever to get a descent race with him , I tried to get a 50 roll but he slows to 30 mph and jumps the gun or traffic got in the way the first 2 attempts, finally get a clear spot to run and he wants to practically come to a dead stop rollin at like 5/10 mph and I don't go for it ,way dangerous on a highway so I stay at 20 (still dangerous !) and motion for him to come up and get even , he does and I honk it off . He get's the initial hit ,but I'm not saying he jumped the gun and I get a little bit of wheelspin ,nothing major and kept my front bumper right at his rear fender till 125 where I let off. He kept on the gas and put's his hazard's on ,lol !

Got to the spot where everyone was meeting and found out from a mutual friend that it had a tune , Boss intake and manifold and factory headers . Figured it had something when I saw the Livernois Motorsports plate on it !

He had no passenger I had one that couldn't be more than 140 so it doesn't really matter and I'm guessing it had 3.73s as well because he seemed to shift exactly when I would but neither of us would fall back or lose pace after shifting !

Long story I know , Sorry !
Get a bigger cam to go with those heads! Pretty much a waste of $ to run them with a 224. LOL
Might as well went with production castings.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with you but when I first got the cam and heads I was trying to stay smog legal , after two years I said **** it and put the longtubes on. If i wasn't worried about it when I first started modding I would have gone with a much more aggressive cam in the first place ! Eventually I think I will put a bigger cam in the car .
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

I'm sure he will be able to figure it out and get it running good
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

We'll see what happens , my fingers are crossed!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Not trying to be a jerk or put you on blast man but I would take it back to Rick and have it checked out you only beat LS1Robs Headers/Lid untuned WS6 by a Car from a roll something is up. No harm in going back Rick might find a crap load more HP and your car could be a beast after. Worth a shot though man
^This.
Yeah Rob is a good driver for sure, but when you have a 50rwhp advantage and roughly the same weight, you should have walked him even if you were an average driver at best. Hopefully you get it figured out.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
^This.
Yeah Rob is a good driver for sure, but when you have a 50rwhp advantage and roughly the same weight, you should have walked him even if you were an average driver at best. Hopefully you get it figured out.
in all honesty, if they're within 50 hp of each other, that's pretty much when it's gonna become a drivers race.