Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Slow SRT8 Jeep vs TBSS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the thread revival(flame suit on) but I just happened across it. I am the TBSS from the videos and a lot has been discovered and changed since these races. I have since moved back to Florida, installed a couple of different nitrous setups, and been tuned a couple of times by a much more reputable tuner. I found out after my first retune after moving that the highly recommended shop in Utah that had originally tuned my truck had the timing all screwed up. The truck was ridden with knock when they were tuning on the dyno so they had pulled virtually all of the timing out of the tune (17*-18*) and I was still seeing a lot of knock (8*+) so I took it back and they street tuned it and found that it was burst knock. They turned off all burst knock and sent me on my way and did not adjust anything else in the tune and I was just happy to have the knock issue taken care of and really didn't know any better. Then I got to Florida and I began noticing a dead spot where the truck was falling on it's face around 4500-5000rpm but I went ahead and installed my dry nitrous setup. When I finally had it tuned down here, the tuner pulled the old tuned off the ECM and began going through it to see what needed to be changed. I told him about the dead spot issue and he found that at 4400rpm the timing was set to 2* and the went back to 18* at 4800rpm. So that and the generally low timing all together had a lot if not everything to do with me getting my *** handed to me by Justin every time we raced. My truck immediately felt significantly faster once the new tune was done. Now I'm running a 100 shot through a Nitrous Outlet wet plate setup and this thing is a beast (to me at least). I have yet to get it to a track since I lived in Utah but it ran 14.3 @ 96 on the bad tune out there with a 6500'+ DA. I expect to see a low 13 or high 12 on motor and low 12 on spray when I do go. Again sorry for the thread revival, I wish I had posted in here a long time ago.

And to Justin, I wish I still lived out there so we do some more runs because we would be much closer run now motor to motor than ever before. It's amazing the difference a good tune makes!

Last edited by NattyLight; 05-06-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Hey man, it's good to hear from you and I'm glad to hear that you finally got your tune squared away. It's too bad that we won't get another run because I'm sure it would be fun. And I bet it is a monster on the spray! Have fun in Florida, Utah still sucks. lol
Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

Talking

Glad to hear you got your tune straightened out.

And....Looks like I was right all along. People don't realize how much a bad tune can hurt power.

Feels good to be right....
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Man I grew up here and after living out there for 3 years I hate it here. I will be moving back to Utah or one of the surrounding mountain states at some point. The only down fall I found to living out there is how much slower my truck feels there. I guess it was one of those 'the grass is always greener' situations. Haha

But yes she pulls like a freight train from a dig on the spray!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71
Glad to hear you got your tune straightened out.

And....Looks like I was right all along. People don't realize how much a bad tune can hurt power.

Feels good to be right....
Yep I'm definitely glad that I now live someplace where there's a really good tuner that I can trust without having to drive a considerable distance from home.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Nice races and great videos.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Thats a slow TBSS for its mods.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
Thats a slow TBSS for its mods.
Sure was but it's no where near that slow anymore. The tune was garbage but that has been taken care of and it's sprayed now too.

Quick Reply: Slow SRT8 Jeep vs TBSS