Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ZL1 vs. GT500 Insideline (Bittersweet)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still disappointed in their times for the ZL1 when C&D managed a 12.2@119 with the heavier CTS-V
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love how they say that the ZL1 has the gt500 covered in the handling department after this test lol... I'll wait until I see a video of them on a road course and not a parking lot with cones set up and going in a circle and slalom.

Both cars are awesome and I'm glad they are battling again like the old muscle car wars. The problem now days is that the mustang will always be better than the camaro as far as performance goes in the long run because GM cannot produce a pony car that is better than the vette. The mustang is the so to speak top of the line performance car for ford so they have endless possibilities they can go unlike gm and the camaro
Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You might need to race some more ricers, because I've definitely heard it.
Haha, now that I think about it, most dont want to stop and talk afterwards.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
Didnt GM say this car is ready for any road race circuit right off the showroom floor? I think they did figure out what they wanted to do and accomplished it... "the Camaro however has it covered in the handling department, NO CONTEST!"

As much as everyone here would like it to be (1/4 mile oriented), its not a one trick pony.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but Ive never heard a ricer say that they can smoke me through the twisties after I smoke them in a straight line...
I have heard it. I tell them to meet me at the road course.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by audacious nick
I have heard it. I tell them to meet me at the road course.
And how many times have they met you there?

Zero i assume...which goes back to the point that the ZL1 is faster on the road course it will probably never see, and the GT500 is faster everywhere else (where the cars will actually be).
Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beans

Zero i assume...which goes back to the point that the ZL1 is faster on the road course it will probably never see, and the GT500 is faster everywhere else (where the cars will actually be).
That goes both ways...
http://jalopnik.com/2013-shelby-gt500/

"But it's also crazy. Despite all the talk of the GT500's amazing all-around abilities, from track to dragstrip to road, the truth is only 7% of GT500 owners ever do anything remotely competitive with the car, and that 7% is just dragstrip use. Any other motorsport use or tracking is much less. So, all this capability, all this power will be at minimum 90% untapped. The Ford SVT engineers were very forthcoming about this, freely admitting most of the GT500s they sell will be garage queens that never do anything more than rev loudly at stoplights."

IMO (Warning: gross generalization below, dont take it to seriously)

Id be willing to bet that you will see more ZL1s gettting snotted on at the drag strip and road courses due to the fact that the people buying the ZL1 will be doing so because of their out of box capabilities (diff/trans/oil/power steering coolers standard, magnetic ride control, etc). The car is made to take extended amounts of abuse right off the showroom floor with standard running gear (no track packs required). People that like to drive the cars the way they are intended will be drawn more towards the ZL1.

On that same note, the people buying the GT500s are the ones that want to go to car shows to bench race/brag about their 662 horses. They would require a lot of options from Ford to really compete on the road course for more than a lap or two.

Not taking anything away from Ford, the new GT500 is just downright amazing. It just comes across as if they stuffed the biggest/most powerful engine they could in there, then built around it as an afterthought. While the ZL1 was/is set up as a great all around car that is capable holding its own anywhere you put it.

EDIT:
Just found the entire article (dont know if OP posted it, I cant see much at work).
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...ison-test.html

Last edited by zz4camaro1980; 06-12-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^ good points. I love how the ZL1 is being discredited now that there is proof that it handles better than the Shelby. I guess we should discredit the BMW M series, Audi's R8 other great handling cars. Everyone should get crotch rockets and only roll race on the hwy...
Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
That goes both ways...
http://jalopnik.com/2013-shelby-gt500/

"But it's also crazy. Despite all the talk of the GT500's amazing all-around abilities, from track to dragstrip to road, the truth is only 7% of GT500 owners ever do anything remotely competitive with the car, and that 7% is just dragstrip use. Any other motorsport use or tracking is much less. So, all this capability, all this power will be at minimum 90% untapped. The Ford SVT engineers were very forthcoming about this, freely admitting most of the GT500s they sell will be garage queens that never do anything more than rev loudly at stoplights."

IMO (Warning: gross generalization below, dont take it to seriously)

Id be willing to bet that you will see more ZL1s gettting snotted on at the drag strip and road courses due to the fact that the people buying the ZL1 will be doing so because of their out of box capabilities (diff/trans/oil/power steering coolers standard, magnetic ride control, etc). The car is made to take extended amounts of abuse right off the showroom floor with standard running gear (no track packs required). People that like to drive the cars the way they are intended will be drawn more towards the ZL1.

On that same note, the people buying the GT500s are the ones that want to go to car shows to bench race/brag about their 662 horses. They would require a lot of options from Ford to really compete on the road course for more than a lap or two.

Not taking anything away from Ford, the new GT500 is just downright amazing. It just comes across as if they stuffed the biggest/most powerful engine they could in there, then built around it as an afterthought. While the ZL1 was/is set up as a great all around car that is capable holding its own anywhere you put it.

EDIT:
Just found the entire article (dont know if OP posted it, I cant see much at work).
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...ison-test.html
Interesting stats on the GT500 uses. In a few years i might pick one up from one of the 93% that use them as talking points. I'd love to be $45K into a bolt-on and tune car that can trap 140 reliably.

I'm not saying the ZL1 is a bad car, i'm saying the vast majority of the times it crosses paths with the GT500, it's not going to be on the winning end.

You're probably right about more owners road racing the ZL1. That statistic will probably be similar to what Ford sees for the Boss. I'd bet it's still <5%.

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
I guess we should discredit the BMW M series, Audi's R8 other great handling cars. Everyone should get crotch rockets and only roll race on the hwy...
BMWs M cars have always been laughed at when it come to straight line performance for the dollar. They're great cars, and they do well at what they're expected to do, which is turn and stop. Camaros aren't expected to go around corners. It's cool that they built one that does, but it's not competitive in the arena it's expected to be strong in, acceleration.

As for the crotch rocket comment, i'm going to leave that one alone. You know nothing of my automotive background, which is primarily road course stuff. Got rid of my last BMW 3 years ago and haven't done much road racing since, but I have a track day on the bike in a week and really can't wait to get it out on the track...with corners.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Teching In

WTF?

Talk about being one sided.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Interesting stats on the GT500 uses. In a few years i might pick one up from one of the 93% that use them as talking points. I'd love to be $45K into a bolt-on and tune car that can trap 140 reliably.

I'm not saying the ZL1 is a bad car, i'm saying the vast majority of the times it crosses paths with the GT500, it's not going to be on the winning end.

You're probably right about more owners road racing the ZL1. That statistic will probably be similar to what Ford sees for the Boss. I'd bet it's still <5%.

BMWs M cars have always been laughed at when it come to straight line performance for the dollar. They're great cars, and they do well at what they're expected to do, which is turn and stop. Camaros aren't expected to go around corners. It's cool that they built one that does, but it's not competitive in the arena it's expected to be strong in, acceleration.

As for the crotch rocket comment, i'm going to leave that one alone. You know nothing of my automotive background, which is primarily road course stuff. Got rid of my last BMW 3 years ago and haven't done much road racing since, but I have a track day on the bike in a week and really can't wait to get it out on the track...with corners.
Despite your beliefs, not all pony cars were built solely for the purpose of drag racing. The Mustang Cobra "R" of 1993, '95 & '00 are a prime example of that. GM initially stated from the get, before the '13 GT500 was ever talked about, what their intentions were for the ZL1.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Thats actually my plan also (only im waiting for a Z06). The fact that the majority of the people that buy them dont really use them is great for folks that cant afford them brand new. We get cars that have been babied and already modded for a fraction of the original MSRP. Great time to be a car guy!

I think I interpreted your previous post the wrong way... I cant agrue with you there. On the street (not much corner carving in a street race, lol) or at the strip, the ZL1 is in trouble.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Glad I'm not the only one that disagrees w/ Ricky Bobby ^^

When I was a teen all I cared about was straight line performance. Now days I appreciate a well rounded total package vehicle with great accelaration, handling, stopping power, street manners and comfort aka z06/zr1
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

another little wrench in the system.... since when did pony cars setup for the road course get roots blowers? I think you may find that both the gt500 and zl1 will be one lap wonders and laps will get increasingly slower as they continue...
Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Coupe Dave
Despite your beliefs, not all pony cars were built solely for the purpose of drag racing. The Mustang Cobra "R" of 1993, '95 & '00 are a prime example of that. GM initially stated from the get, before the '13 GT500 was ever talked about, what their intentions were for the ZL1.
True, but it didnt help that the Al whatever ran his mouth about the ZL1 dominating its competition (aka GT500) in all areas.

Originally Posted by evangto87
another little wrench in the system.... since when did pony cars setup for the road course get roots blowers? I think you may find that both the gt500 and zl1 will be one lap wonders and laps will get increasingly slower as they continue...
Very, very true... Its already been shown that the ZL1 has issues keeping it cool.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Exactly.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by evolve
True, but it didnt help that the Al whatever ran his mouth about the ZL1 dominating its competition (aka GT500) in all areas.

Very, very true... Its already been shown that the ZL1 has issues keeping it cool.
Just curious where you heard this?

"Chevy officials are also clearly proud of the ZL1's "track-capable standard equipment," including engine oil, transmission and differential coolers, as well as a high-performance fuel system with additional pickups for continuous high-g corners during low-fuel conditions."

I doubt they would put a diff cooler in and neglect the supercharger.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

From SVT site, guy raced a ZL1 auto against his GT500...

Summary of races 60-140, with all factors equal:

GT500 vs CTS-v: Very close, drivers race, slight edge to the Caddy
Gt500 Vs ZL1: Winner goes to GT500
Zl1 vs SRT8: Drivers race again with a small edge to the ZL1

here is the full thread...http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...nger-srt8.html
Old 06-12-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
That is sweet...I love that it can outhandle the GT500 in the twisties. ZL1 owners can finally use the same excuse that ricers have been using for years after they get drug down the road.

Awesome.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
From SVT site, guy raced a ZL1 auto against his GT500...

Summary of races 60-140, with all factors equal:

GT500 vs CTS-v: Very close, drivers race, slight edge to the Caddy
Gt500 Vs ZL1: Winner goes to GT500
Zl1 vs SRT8: Drivers race again with a small edge to the ZL1

here is the full thread...http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...nger-srt8.html
It was a 2011 gt500?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

from his thread on SVT...

2011 gt500 SVTPP vert, lund tune, 2.59 vmp pulley, 170 stat (Has not been on a dyno yet).

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
It was a 2011 gt500?

Quick Reply: ZL1 vs. GT500 Insideline (Bittersweet)