Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

who's killed the gt 500 what did it take

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon331
dont judge me this is merica and till i am the proclaimed king off the streets i shall never sleep

but on a more serious note just b/c u spend more money on the car doesnt make it the better car...what makes it the better car is the car you saw when you were a little kid dreamed off having one worked day in and day out for and you finally get it and you spend countless nights working on it in the cold and hot days too make it how you want it in the end you wont have a pro outlaw car but a car that is perfection in your eyes no one else's that my friend is what makes a car a better car..to you no one else
Couldn't say it better myself....
Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Raced a pulley, intake, tune 08 gt500 from multiple rolls a year ago. I walked him each time pretty good. We stopped and talked afterwards, and wow what a cool guy. Gt500's are sexy as hell. Hopefully I can run into a newer one soon.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't matter if you can beat one or not, it's all about what car gets more *****.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

If you need a car to get you ***** well that's just sad
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

"but on a more serious note just b/c u spend more money on the car doesnt make it the better car...what makes it the better car is the car you saw when you were a little kid dreamed off having one worked day in and day out for and you finally get it and you spend countless nights working on it in the cold and hot days too make it how you want it in the end you wont have a pro outlaw car but a car that is perfection in your eyes no one else's that my friend is what makes a car a better car..to you no one else"

One of the best posts ever made on this forum! This thread should be over after that!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Raced a 2010 in my then 160,000 mile, unopened-motor Grand National. I had all the bolt-ons, a PT6152 hair dryer, Alky Control 100% methanol and 24 lbs of boost. I also had some suspension...LCAs, pinion snubber, GNX bracing, etc. I absolutely murdered him up to about a buck-ten. At that point, we both backed off, and I probably 4-5 cars on him, but I wasn't pulling anymore up-top.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turtle93
If you need a car to get you ***** well that's just sad
This, I've been able to rely on my personality and physical appeal over the years. I know, so lame right?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Sadly all I got is my personality now damn you cupcakes
Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Agreed for sure. Great post!

I'd love another F-body but I'm not sure if I could bring myself to do it because there are just so damn many of them around

Upper level Cadillacs, BMW, Mercedes, etc. etc. A lot of it is paying for a name which generally appeals to class

I see where you are coming from, but in no way is the Camaro of your dreams superior to lets say a BMW M3 or Lamborghini. Maybe in the mind of the gear head who took his car apart piece by piece and has a lot of sweat, blood, and tears into it - but reality eventually overcomes personal feelings

Edit: Missed the "to you" part. Good post
I agree on the Lambo, but an M3 ?? I would not pay 55k for a M3, now the new ones with a v8 Might be worth more, if they perform, but stock I havent seen a fast one to date. keep in mind I havent ran the new v8 before you flame my post.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by stockz
I agree on the Lambo, but an M3 ?? I would not pay 55k for a M3, now the new ones with a v8 Might be worth more, if they perform, but stock I havent seen a fast one to date. keep in mind I havent ran the new v8 before you flame my post.
an m3 is more about curves than it is about straight line acceleration. What is overrated by some due to it's price and what it lacks in a straightline is seen as a performance bargain by how well balanced it is in handling, acceleration, comfort and consistent performance. To value a car solely on one dimension is a not good means to judge IMO. Fbodies are made to do one thing and one thing well. Go straight rapidly. M3's are made to be much more than a one trick pony.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by willizm
an m3 is more about curves than it is about straight line acceleration. What is overrated by some due to it's price and what it lacks in a straightline is seen as a performance bargain by how well balanced it is in handling, acceleration, comfort and consistent performance. To value a car solely on one dimension is a not good means to judge IMO. Fbodies are made to do one thing and one thing well. Go straight rapidly. M3's are made to be much more than a one trick pony.
I can agree to that !
Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Raced a 2010 in my then 160,000 mile, unopened-motor Grand National.

That's a feat in itself right there.

One of my best friends has a nasty GN and a stock 9,000 mile GNX. When he was running the stock motor, it was hard as hell to keep a head from lifting. We changed I don't know how many head gaskets on that thing.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

dont judge me this is merica and till i am the proclaimed king off the streets i shall never sleep

but on a more serious note just b/c u spend more money on the car doesnt make it the better car...what makes it the better car is the car you saw when you were a little kid dreamed off having one worked day in and day out for and you finally get it and you spend countless nights working on it in the cold and hot days too make it how you want it in the end you wont have a pro outlaw car but a car that is perfection in your eyes no one else's that my friend is what makes a car a better car..to you no one else
And when you beat a 55k dollar car with 10k, blood/sweat, it makes it even sweeter.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This, I've been able to rely on my personality and physical appeal over the years. I know, so lame right?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive ran the new V8 and must admit i was expecting it to hand me my a**. They sound great and pull very well. I was amazed that i was able to pull on it. True i was a full bolt on car and his was stock 2011 M3 DSG i think is the tranny. When i use to sell them i wouldnt look at it as a fast car but a car that does everything well not excellent but just is a good well rounded car that to me looks bueatiful. I myself am so tired of seeing 2 doors around were i live i would for sure pick a 4 door M3 if i was interested in buying one.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Old 07-06-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

2012s start at $60,100 brand new msrp. They definitely aren't the quickest of the bunch, but still a nice *** car
This
Originally Posted by karpetcm
Ive ran the new V8 and must admit i was expecting it to hand me my a**. They sound great and pull very well. I was amazed that i was able to pull on it. True i was a full bolt on car and his was stock 2011 M3 DSG i think is the tranny. When i use to sell them i wouldnt look at it as a fast car but a car that does everything well not excellent but just is a good well rounded car that to me looks bueatiful. I myself am so tired of seeing 2 doors around were i live i would for sure pick a 4 door M3 if i was interested in buying one.
They are kind of a disappointed now that everyone has figured out how potent the N54s can be with a tune, meth, and some bolt-ons while still retaining reliability and BMW comfort
Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
And when you beat a 55k dollar car with 10k, blood/sweat, it makes it even sweeter.
Nope, sure doesn't. Because that guys dream car could be a 55K car that doesn't look/ride/feel/drive like a pos 10K foxbody. Moreover, if you dream of 10K cars, you need to start over with life.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 38394Z28
Moreover, if you dream of 10K cars, you need to start over with life.

That had me going. So true - thanks for that.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 38394Z28
Nope, sure doesn't. Because that guys dream car could be a 55K car that doesn't look/ride/feel/drive like a pos 10K foxbody. Moreover, if you dream of 10K cars, you need to start over with life.
I disagree they did cost more than that new and if you restore a f-body correctly and put a built motor new paint job aftermarket rear end the prices do stack up I have 10k in my little street motor not including 2500 for my 12 bolt around 4k in all brand new suspension new paint job was around 3500 plus converting it too a ss with a vfn hood 3500 in Ccw's plus brand new tires 4k+ for a tr6060 so that's close too 30k not including after makeret gauges my nitrous set up ect it does add up