Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First race kill story/ newer M3 question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default First race kill story/ newer M3 question...

Hey everyone!

Well I am still kind of new to the LS1Tech community (joined a couple months ago) and this is actually my first time starting a new thread. Not sure what section to post in because it's a kill story and kind of a hypothetical race story... So sorry if I post this in the wrong section..

So I finally bought my dream car, 2002 Camaro SS, since I was 16 and have been modding it over the past year. (mods in sig) I recently had it tuned at Straightline Performance and left with making 332 rwhp and 354 rwtq out of an A4. I was really happy with the number, especially coming from my previous car, which was a '95 3.4L Camaro. Damn thing couldn't get out of its own way! (first car)

Anyways, so I was driving to the gym last weekend and on the way there I found myself lining up at a light with a 2010 Mustang GT. (20 yr old kid??) I chatted with the kid at the light and decided to do a quick run. He was actually pretty cool, def not your "typical" mustang owner. The light turned green and we both punched it. His nose was in my peripheral up to about 30mph and then he was gone. hahah I let off at about 85ish and he was ~ 2-3 car lengths back! I know the GT's aren't really any comp (GT only CAI and catback) but this was my first race since the mods. It put a big smile on my face!

On the way home from the gym I found myself a human magnet. It was some 20-22 yr old kid driving next to me in what looked to be a '10-'11 M3 (smurf blue). I tried to line up with him but he wouldn't run. If I slowed down, he would...If I sped up, he would...but he would not run. Like I said human magnet!! I tried getting his attention but he wouldn't even look over. So after doing this stupid dance for 3-4 miles with him I said forget it. I jumped on it a little, just enough to get in front of him so that I can make the left turn lane.....as soon as I got in the left turning lane I looked over at him one last time. As he began to pass me, down goes his window...out comes a middle finger which was then followed by a thumbs down!!!!! That really pissed me off! Damn kid wouldn't run, but had the ***** to do that.

So here is where my question comes in... I know everyone hates hypothetical races, but would I have stood a chance?? From what I could tell, he was stock. Sounded stock too.

Has anyone with similar mods (mods in sig) raced a newer stock M3? If so, did you win or lose and by how much??

Thanks everyone! (Sorry for the long post!)

Last edited by Camarokid327; 07-19-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an F-body, but judging power to weight ratios he might have a SLIGHT edge over you. But since he was most likely driving his daddy's car I'd say the driver mod in your car is much better. I think you should find him and beat him! The new M3 supposedly runs a 12.4 quarter, but that's with a good driver
Old 07-19-2012, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

ushould of chased him and shoowed him some manors...thats what i did a few weeks ago then they put assult charges...:/
dont matter i felt real good
Old 07-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends what type of M3. The DCT coupes are considerably faster than the coupe manuals or sedans. They REALLY open up in 3rd and 4th gear.

I raced a DCT M3 with bolt ons (around your power level) and he DESTROYED me. I then came back with cam and destroyed him.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Launching!

1_MeanZ28...I wanted to jump back out and chase him down but he was heading into an area where cops love to hang out so I just let him go. His plate was "JDM LOL" so if I see another smurf blue M3, I'll know if its him or not.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Would a 224r or a 228r cam (w/ stock heads) do the trick??
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
I know the GT's aren't really any comp (GT only CAI and catback) but this was my first race since the mods. It put a big smile on my face!

Has anyone with similar mods (mods in sig) raced a newer stock M3? If so, did you win or lose and by how much??

not starting **** with you man but gt's "arent really any comp" is wrong. i think the gt is a plenty fair competitor to the f body. especially the new 5.0s. theres a large difference in hp and tq between the 4.6 and the 5.0. but to answer your m3 question im not sure based on your driving but ill share my run with a newer m3 before i sold my ls1.

cruising at prob 50 maybe 45 and my mods worth listing were long tubes, cutouts after collectors, lid, bbk ssi intake manifold, p/p tb, SSRA and full suspension. wasnt tuned and power wasnt probably anything special. so this guy weaves around and gets next to me and honks it off, we both hit it and he got a jump but i quickly reeled him back in, and we shut it down at about 100 if i remember right with his front bumber at my door. reason i remember him was at the next light this dude rolls down his window and yells over, "and that was with traction control off" with this im better than you face on. so my reply was "yup and and my car cost me only 5 grand." smile went away as he realized he spent over 30k for a car that just kept even with a 10 year old ls1 beater. i swear bmw guys are just as bad as most mustang drivers. and i say this as a mustang driver lol.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

A 3 valve with a tune is a decent runner. Its a good car to get to 300-310whp and run high 12's. My 05 ran a 12.9@107 with intake/tune/xpipe and gears with street tires. Anything after that, the return gets pretty awful. Sounds like you raced an untuned one. Stock they run 18* of timing (87 octane) so a 93 octane tune on them is worth 20+whp.

I have a GTO with mods in sig and I raced a 2011 M3 manual and beat it pretty bad but I don't think the guy could drive very well. So I don't know how fast it should be.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Launching!

usnfenix- No worries man...What I meant by that was a stock GT is not really comp, or in this case is a CAI & catback GT for a bolt-on w/ tune SS. I walked my younger sister's stock '07 GT (dad driving it) when my SS was stock down to the filter. (both autos) I wasn't saying that all gt's, modded or not, are no competition. We all know there are too many factors that can change the out come of a race. Now after hearing your story I really want to run that guy! If I lost it would be even more motivation to pull the trigger on a cam and maybe even some ported 243 heads! haha
Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Not trying to be rude here but if I don't show interest or say no I don't want to run then you hover play the punch coast punch coast for a few miles I wouldnt be happy with you either good kill on the stang thow
Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled the same whp at straightline with bolt ons as you did. As for the m3, I'd ask if you are stalled. If not you'd probably lose. If yes then it would be close.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive raced at the time new 2011 DCT M3 2door or coupe you wanna say and didnt really have issues pulling it. The only 2 races he was able to get on video i have. We had a couple of other races that went higher in speed and outcome was about the same me pulling. With those cars and not that you are or even have the opportunity to do so since there will be traffic and safety reasons they really do well at higher speeds in my experience 130+mph due to there gearing, especially if you go into 5th gear they will make up ground if they are behind you. Here is one of the vidz i had full bolt ons with 4.10's, i actually spun going from 3rd to 4th had crappy sumitumo tires at the time, will kinda give you an idea.

Last edited by karpetcm; 07-19-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turtle93
Not trying to be rude here but if I don't show interest or say no I don't want to run then you hover play the punch coast punch coast for a few miles I wouldnt be happy with you either good kill on the stang thow
I think you misunderstood my post. I never "punch, coast, punch coasted" down the street with him. When he pulled up next to me for the first time I dropped down to 40mph from 45, he did too. If you did that to someone, wouldn't that indicate that you were down to run? Since he never looked over to give me a sign that he was down I said forget it and went back up to the speed limit...but so did he. (ok fine) I cruised up to 10 over and so did he. He would mock whatever I did. So clearly he was being the aggressor/ annoying one.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by willizm
I pulled the same whp at straightline with bolt ons as you did. As for the m3, I'd ask if you are stalled. If not you'd probably lose. If yes then it would be close.
As for right now, no...but I am looking into getting a 3200 stall and a 224r or 228r cam.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by karpetcm
Ive raced at the time new 2011 DCT M3 2door or coupe you wanna say and didnt really have issues pulling it. The only 2 races he was able to get on video i have. We had a couple of other races that went higher in speed and outcome was about the same me pulling. With those cars and not that you are or even have the opportunity to do so since there will be traffic and safety reasons they really do well at higher speeds in my experience 130+mph due to there gearing, especially if you go into 5th gear they will make up ground if they are behind you. Here is one of the vidz i had full bolt ons with 4.10's, i actually spun going from 3rd to 4th had crappy sumitumo tires at the time, will kinda give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xqUmhrBs9Q
Nice vid and kill! Did you guys race from a dig at all?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice vid and kill! Did you guys race from a dig at all?
No dig, i would've for sure lost a dig race and would've been hard to make up the difference and pass him unless we really went high speeds. Honestly driving his car i really felt i would've lost since it pulls really well, i was really shocked that i didnt. The other race on vid, he got a good hit on me and was still able to pull. Just couldnt go any higher in speeds due to traffic.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As for right now, no...but I am looking into getting a 3200 stall and a 224r or 228r cam.
Don't be scared to go with a 3600 or more stall. A little looser, but for daily driving it's not bad at all. Once your converter locks, it locks so MPG is back to where it was. It's more fun when it's unlocked though
Old 07-19-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

usnfenix- No worries man...What I meant by that was a stock GT is not really comp, or in this case is a CAI & catback GT for a bolt-on w/ tune SS. I walked my younger sister's stock '07 GT (dad driving it) when my SS was stock down to the filter. (both autos) I wasn't saying that all gt's, modded or not, are no competition. We all know there are too many factors that can change the out come of a race. Now after hearing your story I really want to run that guy! If I lost it would be even more motivation to pull the trigger on a cam and maybe even some ported 243 heads! haha
thats the good thing about losing, gives you an excuse to mod. my wife doesnt seem to understand that lol
Old 07-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Teching In

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=924306

It was a 2001 M3 (e46). That color LSB (Laguna Seca Blue) was a color made for this body style m3. You would have destroyed it lol.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by willizm
Don't be scared to go with a 3600 or more stall. A little looser, but for daily driving it's not bad at all. Once your converter locks, it locks so MPG is back to where it was. It's more fun when it's unlocked though
I have been looking at 3600's but thought it would be a little too much since my car is a DD. Well, dd as in drive to the train and back for work.