Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Not reliable? Really. Plenty guys running them well into the 9's for over a year now. This car now has a f1 and has gone low 9's.
Just telling you what I found when I started researching the aluminator. I was goin to do the shortblock until I saw there were several that had problems. I figured I would be better of redoin the one I had at that point.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Just telling you what I found when I started researching the aluminator. I was goin to do the shortblock until I saw there were several that had problems. I figured I would be better of redoin the one I had at that point.
This will be the engine I do. Lots guys running it with no issues. 6800 shipped from Tousley for a turn key. 9.5:1 compression with forged internals. I then will do billet oil pump gears before it goes in. Run about 20lbs boost. And most likely be on e85 and have a regular 93 tune as well.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motors not strong at all. My termi crank was bent .014. It just got done at the machine shop. One of the most over rated heaps I've ever seen. Needs a cooling mod when new, can't do 5th gear pulls and don't stay together well....more myth than legend. Alot of guys would've liked a SA but thought the IRS was cool, and apparently the alot of Mach guys do too. It seems if a car don't come with irs they want it, if it does come with irs they don't want it. Any one else notice this?

Why did you even buy that car?

All you have done since buying it, is talk trash about the engine and how much of a failure it is.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Motors not strong at all. My termi crank was bent .014. It just got done at the machine shop. One of the most over rated heaps I've ever seen. Needs a cooling mod when new, can't do 5th gear pulls and don't stay together well....more myth than legend. Alot of guys would've liked a SA but thought the IRS was cool, and apparently the alot of Mach guys do too. It seems if a car don't come with irs they want it, if it does come with irs they don't want it. Any one else notice this?
I've noticed that too. I feel like some people would rather have the IRS for reasons that maybe they don't go to the track everyday and would like the IRS for handling reasons. Me personally, whatever it comes with I'll keep that.

How are the motors not strong though? I have always wanted one and will own one, someday but I think a Mach is my next car. I've seen more than a few Terminator's put down over 700whp on the stock motor and be fine? So I don't know.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heater
Why did you even buy that car?

All you have done since buying it, is talk trash about the engine and how much of a failure it is.
It is what it is. Doesn't mean I don't like it. Mod motors are not very strong in general. This was suppose to be a better one.....oooppppsss

I saw an opportunity to have a little fun with it and should make some money when I go to sell it. Ford guys will pay threw the nose for a notch with a termi motor. This car has alot of good parts and other than the swap it's self I have did alot of work to it.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is what it is. Doesn't mean I don't like it. Mod motors are not very strong in general. This was suppose to be a better one.....oooppppsss

I saw an opportunity to have a little fun with it and should make some money when I go to sell it. Ford guys will pay threw the nose for a notch with a termi motor. This car has alot of good parts and other than the swap it's self I have did alot of work to it.
A mod motor is not strong compared to what?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

so why is a mod motor not strong? Curious. What makes them weak in comparison to say a push rod motor. Pretty sure push rod designs are much more prone to valve train failure then modular over head cam designs.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
A mod motor is not strong compared to what?
Ls stuff.
Originally Posted by evangto87
so why is a mod motor not strong? Curious. What makes them weak in comparison to say a push rod motor. Pretty sure push rod designs are much more prone to valve train failure then modular over head cam designs.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Up until the new 5.0 everyone knew not to go over 450 whp with a modular or it would show you it's guts on stock bottoms. There has been 2 local guys that never even made home from the dyno before they broke rods. Needless to say they don't make very good power n/a. The thing you could do with a mod motor is turn it hard with it's ohc design. But the heads sucked to much to let that happen and make power while doin it..

The ls stuff biggest draw back is the pushrod design. Although the motor is simple and light and it has no problem holding 600+ whp on stock bottoms that come out of pick up trucks even. The one that holds more power wins this on strength.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Ls stuff.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Up until the new 5.0 everyone knew not to go over 450 whp with a modular or it would show you it's guts on stock bottoms. There has been 2 local guys that never even made home from the dyno before they broke rods. Needless to say they don't make very good power n/a. The thing you could do with a mod motor is turn it hard with it's ohc design. But the heads sucked to much to let that happen and make power while doin it..

The ls stuff biggest draw back is the pushrod design. Although the motor is simple and light and it has no problem holding 600+ whp on stock bottoms that come out of pick up trucks even. The one that holds more power wins this on strength.
Man you say some crazy stupid **** bro. One things obvious, you love attention.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:18 PM
wbt
Teching In

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
That's his MO. Spew a load of **** and Ford sucks.

I wonder why he left out the 5.4 in the GT500. Seems the stock bottom is good to 700+RWHP.

An engine's strength isn't measured by how far you can take hypereutectic pistons or powdered rods.

Like I said before, any dumbass can blow a motor by being stupid and HioSSilver is no exception.

Regarding the 4.6 sucking N/A...tell that to these guys:
Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wbt
That's his MO. Spew a load of **** and Ford sucks.

I wonder why he left out the 5.4 in the GT500. Seems the stock bottom is good to 700+RWHP.

An engine's strength isn't measured by how far you can take hypereutectic pistons or powdered rods.

Like I said before, any dumbass can blow a motor by being stupid and HioSSilver is no exception.
]
It sure is, I don't buy aftermarket rods and pistons to keep my **** together and I did'nt blow up my termi motor. There you go spouting off at the mouth about something you know nothing about. I bet that don't happen to often to you does it?????///////////////sarcasm

.....let me know when they start making k-members to put a mod motor in my camaro.......nuff said

Not everyone wants/can afford to replace internals to have a decent hotrod.

Actually the older gt500 had problems with their crank snout cracking. That's why there is a update for them. Local ford machinist guru done did one.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 08-26-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
wbt
Teching In

It sure is, I don't buy aftermarket rods and pistons to keep my **** together and I did'nt blow up my termi motor. There you go spouting off at the mouth about something you know nothing about. I bet that don't happen to often to you does it?????///////////////sarcasm

.....let me know when they start making k-members to put a mod motor in my camaro.......nuff said

Not everyone wants/can afford to replace internals to have a decent hotrod.
You are a buffoon. I guess you didn't put the key in and start that motor. I guess it also wasn't tuned. I guess it didn't detonate. It is not hard to see through your load of ****.

You are also a fool if you think upgrading the internals on an engine costs an arm and a leg. There are plenty of good quality used parts available. All it takes is spending a little time researching and knowing what you are looking for. I think this is beyond your capacity however.

You have shown once again how little knowledge you really possess and the attitude you sport will continue to contribute to that shortcoming.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for showing your ignorance once again. You are a buffoon.

What people don't realize is all makers and builds have an upper limit. Ford just happens to have a much higher limit than many competitors. Go add some power to various models and let us know how it works out

Last edited by kewlv8; 08-26-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ls stuff.

Strength of a motor is not rooted in how much hp is makes compared to a smaller or large motor. If thats the case a 2jz/vq30/1.8t/2.7tt/2.0/etc can make nearly double or triple their stock bhp all day, on a stock block. So would those be considered stronger motors?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
LOL Id have to agree...

He's too active here to be a troll but man he sure does make some trollish comments...

Maybe he's a downlow or undercover troll...lol

Just bustin ya ***** Hio
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetC5
I agree... that was sad! I think the zl1 is a hell of a package and makes a great road racer... but as far as 1/4 mile performance its just crap! Regular SS with headers and a tune will run door to door with them in most cases. Personally I think the new 1LE SS is the way to go, you get a SS with upgraded axles, suspension, better tires and better 3.91 gears. Now add a cam and boltons to that car like I did mine, and its gonna be that much better, without the ZL1 price tage or the 4100lbs.
Word the 1LE is the 5th gen to get if you must buy one.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wbt
You are a buffoon. I guess you didn't put the key in and start that motor. I guess it also wasn't tuned. I guess it didn't detonate. It is not hard to see through your load of ****.

You are also a fool if you think upgrading the internals on an engine costs an arm and a leg. There are plenty of good quality used parts available. All it takes is spending a little time researching and knowing what you are looking for. I think this is beyond your capacity however.

You have shown once again how little knowledge you really possess and the attitude you sport will continue to contribute to that shortcoming.
You don't get it dude. All you wanna do is throw a few specialty motors and say how great ford is. That don't cut it with me. Which I will admit their new stuff is really good. There older stuff was poop. To me if a engine can't do it w/o a bunch of aftermarket stuff to hold it together then it can do it. Like I said let me know when those engines are good enough for companies to start making k-members to swap ford motors into gm stuff.
Originally Posted by kewlv8

What people don't realize is all makers and builds have an upper limit. Ford just happens to have a much higher limit than many competitors. Go add some power to various models and let us know how it works out
Your on crack. Fords limit has been greatly lower other than a few specialty engines that kinda under perform.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
LOL Id have to agree...

He's too active here to be a troll but man he sure does make some trollish comments...

Maybe he's a downlow or undercover troll...lol

Just bustin ya ***** Hio
Yea man I'm no troll. I post all over the board. Get quite a few pm's from guys asking about my mods....or I did till I changed my sig. Even sent one guy my old ls6 intake tune . This ford nutswinging **** gets out of control. These guys act like it's not apparent after years of production we don't know what the average guy builds out of them. Sure there are a few guys that spend alot of money to make stuff go but that can be done with anything.

Take wtb for instance. So one sided it's insane. Post a link in his sig about me. ...about recalculating our times. But he faliled to calculate me spinning to a 1.78 60 vs his 1.5?. Hey dumbass, if you don't utilize the whole track d/a don't mean much..... especially when you let out of the gas like I did on that run to pedal the half sideways spin. This is the same guy that wants to replace internals with stronger ones and then tell me how strong a production motor is. That don't work for me.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Wink

The reason why you don't see anyone making k-members to put a SBF in a 4th gen is the 4th gen is heavier than a Fox body, parts are more expensive for the F-body, 10 bolt will have to be replaced, and the cowl sits over half of the engine (big pain in the ***).
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wbt

Originally Posted by kewlv8

whats up with these new members calling you buffoon? is it the same guy with two accounts? cuz nobody says buffoon anymore.

hio usually has pretty good info/knowledge on this stuff.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs ZL1