Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.0 vs ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by odthetruth
LOL GM is spending too much time masturbating at the Nurburgring.

I'm all for handling, but a Camaro isn't about handling... its about straight line. Thats what its always been about in my book. The ZL1 owners will soon sound like the import owners of yesteryear with the "I'll take you in the turns" after getting smoked on the straights.

I don't get it. The ZL1 should be faster? The 2nd gen CTS-Vs do better then this. Meh
Camaro has always been about straight line?...Trans am series?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same can be said about mustang's....shelby's and boss 302's from the 60's and 70's were all about road racing

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

so wait... a stock auto 5.0 drug a stock auto zl1.... wow.... now thats sad... like vomit sad. Even if the 5.0 gets out... the zl1 should atleast chase it down..
Old 08-22-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
Camaros and Mustangs are synonymous with drag racing. Just because there's a series with them road coursing doesn't mean thats what they are known for. Thats the reputations they have in the car community, regardless of their roots.

I look at a Camaro and think red light drag races, high horsepower. I don't think carving corners in a mountainside. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone with that one. There are plenty of other platforms GM could have focused for road coursing (ala CTS-V). Not saying the Camaro does BAD at road coursing, since the ZL1 is obviously fast at the Nurburgring... but... there are no nurburgrings at the drag strip, and most people who buy cars in general will end up drag racing them (be it legal or illegal) before they end up on a road course.

I'm not the only person who sees a Camaro or Mustang as a V8 muscle car for drag racing... but its sad when you see a 580hp supercharged car get spanked by a 414hp NA car. Driver mod needed? Yeah, I'm pretty sure of it... but the ZL1 is too heavy for its own good because of trying to make it plush. No one sees Camaro and thinks 'oooo luxury!'
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Launching!

I read this entire thread and all I have to say is. People who hit their hazard lights after a race are *******. So retarded. Also, Z28-corner carver. ZL1-drag racer.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

So if someone posts a video of a stock Camaro SS beating a GT500, that means the GT500 is a piece of **** too right?

Because honestly, it's a very plausible scenario.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't get it? Whats camaro5 logic? All i said was basically bring the
correct vehicle to race... i wouldn't race a GT500 in a cobalt... i would go home
and bring out the Vette...

Originally Posted by Heater
Camero5 logic in effect
Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
I just can't wait to buy a Z28.... 5000lbs and 100K... I know you have it in you GM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
The ONLY thing keeping the gt500 in the hunt on a road coarse is it's extra power. If you can't tell that by the vids that has been posted you should sell your car and take up knitting, because you don't have a clue.
it don't matter what is keeping it in the hunt and winning. Specially with the ZL1 having this super suspension. And the GT500 still using the solid axle. Winning is winning. And the ZL1 isn't doing it.

And if just the power how come we keep seeing them lose to cars making way less power.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweetC5
The 1le has stronger axles and a 3.91 gear set, how is that not beefed up? The stock diff is fine in this car, and you cant expect to buy a factory car that needs nothing as far as mods, I mean come on! The 1LE is just what they needed to do with the camaro in the first place, they took care of the weak axles, added some much needed rear gear, better.. lighter.. wider.. wheels and tires, better suspension all for not much more money! So how did that not hit the mark. Its a perfect SS, its what they should have done with the SS right off the start. Allot of people are looking to buy these factory parts to swap on there 10s and 11s for much less then aftermarket. Sounds like a win to me.
It's not lighter, it's probably heavier. They did nothing for weight reduction. It has the same aluminum junk diff, same garbage clutch and the same brakes as the SS. They were close with this one. It should have had some weight reduction, a ZL1 diff and ZL1 brakes. For 7K you still need to do a lot to make it a serious track car. They cheaped out on the ZL1 too. If it had a forged bottom end, like every forged induction mustang since 2003, it could be made in to a beast. GM doesn't give a **** about matching the mustangs performance as long as they sell. The 5th gen crowd just eats this **** up as the rest of the car world laughs at them.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Build a road course/handling car and bring back a classic nameplate that was used on legendary drag race cars. Brilliant GM. The 5th gen is so full of fail. The 1LE was close but missed the mark too buy not beefing up the rear end and adding a dry sump LS3.

Wow have you done a 180. You used to get into with people who bashed 5th gens when you had one

Nice vid. Zl1 is a disappointment in the straights. Id take one over a Boss or 5.0 any day(of course its more money). Gt500 is a better buy to me. Guy couple streets down just got his with temp tags to go low 12s at 124MPH. Not bad being a terrible driver and in the heat if you ask me
Old 08-22-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

I just don't get some people, you expect a performance car under 40 grand to be built just how you want it. The stock brakes don't need to be upgraded with the exception of some braided lines, the factory clutch holds up great, and after 2 years and 40k my car is holding up just fine. You guys expect ******* super cars out of mid priced american cars, when they don't run 10s out of the box and have everything you ever wanted it's a piece of ****. LMAO
Old 08-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Quick Question: How are those new Camaro's selling?

Exactly.

I doubt GM gives two flying ***** what anyone here has to say, as long as their pony car keeps selling like hot cakes. Those guys must be doing something right.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Wow have you done a 180. You used to get into with people who bashed 5th gens when you had one

Nice vid. Zl1 is a disappointment in the straights. Id take one over a Boss or 5.0 any day(of course its more money). Gt500 is a better buy to me. Guy couple streets down just got his with temp tags to go low 12s at 124MPH. Not bad being a terrible driver and in the heat if you ask me
Yeah, I lived it so I know what pieces of crap GM gave us. I drank the Kool-Aid for a while till I came to my senses.

Originally Posted by sweetC5
I just don't get some people, you expect a performance car under 40 grand to be built just how you want it. The stock brakes don't need to be upgraded with the exception of some braided lines, the factory clutch holds up great, and after 2 years and 40k my car is holding up just fine. You guys expect ******* super cars out of mid priced american cars, when they don't run 10s out of the box and have everything you ever wanted it's a piece of ****. LMAO
No, I expect a 40K car to at least hold up to the abuse that my other Camaros took. Read reviews on the 1LE and you will see the biggest complaint is the brakes. Also the ZL1 is 60K car, not 40. My factory clutch had to be replaced at 10K miles, my drive shaft axle and axles seals were replaces too. The axle came out of my pocket after GM told me I broke the car too many times and denied my warranty. And I thought 10 bolts were bad.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

My factory clutch had to be replaced at 10K miles, my drive shaft axle and axles seals were replaces too. The axle came out of my pocket after GM told me I broke the car too many times and denied my warranty. And I thought 10 bolts were bad.
At least it didn't **** a transmission at 5k miles.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I lived it so I know what pieces of crap GM gave us. I drank the Kool-Aid for a while till I came to my senses.

No, I expect a 40K car to at least hold up to the abuse that my other Camaros took. Read reviews on the 1LE and you will see the biggest complaint is the brakes. Also the ZL1 is 60K car, not 40. My factory clutch had to be replaced at 10K miles, my drive shaft axle and axles seals were replaces too. The axle came out of my pocket after GM told me I broke the car too many times and denied my warranty. And I thought 10 bolts were bad.
Ya but all that is your problem, you had a lemon... it happens! My car has over a 100 passes on it, been wheel hopped to hell, I drive the **** out of mine and its held up to everything. So what you went though is pretty shitty, I would have been pissed too, but you can see not everyone has those problems. I would have drove it through GMs window but I dont see how you can say all this crap knowing you just got stuck with a **** car. I owned a C5 vette and I personally dont see it as any better built then this car. The way this car has treated me I feel like I got everything I paid for!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
it don't matter what is keeping it in the hunt and winning. Specially with the ZL1 having this super suspension. And the GT500 still using the solid axle. Winning is winning. And the ZL1 isn't doing it.
]
Not always. One good flying lap don't get it done in the road race world. If they were at the same power levels it would be seconds difference in favor of the ZL. I can also find that 80hp difference easier than you can make the Gt500 handle with the ZL.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
One good flying lap don't get it done in the road race world.
I don't agree with Hio often but this statement is very true and is especially true when comparing these 2 cars.

Every single review I've read about them say the ZL1 is more precise and refined so that it is consistent as opposed to the untamed GT500 (which also gets complaints on braking). In a multi-lap race on most tracks I would put my money on the ZL1 taking the win by a considerable margin. And depending on which version of the GT500 in question, it might not even be capable of running the whole race before overheating different components of the car.

Of course none of it means jack to the people who only care about straight lines. If you don't appreciate corners you're missing out on the real performance of the car IMO. I personally love corners and my car is set up more for them than drag.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This is turning into such a gay thread.

A ZL1 WILL MURDER A 5.0.

Stop being ******* gay *** fanboys. Jesus Christ.

(this coming from me, who hates every ******* 5th gen and especially thinks the ZL1 is one big gay *** failure).
Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
I like the look of the ZL1 but if i had to get one that TVS1900 would be swapped for the TVS2300 before the first oil change...lol
Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Yes it's a bone stock auto so can't blame driver error with the exception of reaction time. I could be wrong but to me it looked like the 5.0 shut down early as the ZL1 was about to come around him. I've been out there plenty of times and know exactly where the finish line is. Without a finish line view it's hard to really tell. Regardless GM desperately needs to shave weight off of that damn thing. I haven't seen that 5.0 on street tires except the first time he brought it out when it was brand new. You guys know how the word "street tires" is used down here so let's not forget that.

Oh and running that GT500 would have been really stupid since we all know it's not stock

Either way the ZL1 is a great looking car that needs P90X. I look forward to what changes the new chassis will have. I'm still a fan of the newer mustangs and glad we have new life to the rivalry but let's try not to lose perspective.

I agree with everything you said but what does the GT500 have? Tune, exhaust, and maybe tires. Yea that would have just made the ZL1 get raped with a bigger dick. Stock or not the ZL1 was gettin raped.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs ZL1