Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 Cam Only LS1 T/A vs Almost stock '11 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Are you just typing to type or what? You don't even make sense. You said the rest of the bolt-ons wich would include a maf. I agree only a dumbass would think you would see gains with one on a bolt-on car... You said with the rest of the bolt-ons it would run like a car with a 224 cam. So basicly you are saying a pulley and a ported throttle body should gain you 3mph in the 1/4? The d/a is worth 2mph... You can't even make it out of the dumbass category to make it to being an *******.
You stated you went 12.3@110 in 2400 or so ft. DA with a not so good 60', Mail tune, stock TB (which is going to hold back a cammed car), and stock pulley. So with a *dyno* tune, ported TB, U/D pulley, better air and 60' no I would not be surprised to see 115mph traps. I may be a tad generous with the mph but you should be darn close.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well got damn I think it's settled
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

good vids. looks like the truth of the matter is the cars are very close when they take an even hit. i wouldn't expect the big cammed car to do much work given its setup. not revving and using an ls1 intake is like a double whammy. neither are good for rolling out and prob hurt the result exponentially.

i feel your pain on an ls1 intake. they suck. i hate spending the money on an ls6 intake, but i'd rather spend any other cash on some tuning software. i've been dealing with these cars 10 years and still don't have software. that changes today as i am picking up hptuners in about 3 hours. i already know how to use it, which is a plus.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
good vids. looks like the truth of the matter is the cars are very close when they take an even hit. i wouldn't expect the big cammed car to do much work given its setup. not revving and using an ls1 intake is like a double whammy. neither are good for rolling out and prob hurt the result exponentially.

i feel your pain on an ls1 intake. they suck. i hate spending the money on an ls6 intake, but i'd rather spend any other cash on some tuning software. i've been dealing with these cars 10 years and still don't have software. that changes today as i am picking up hptuners in about 3 hours. i already know how to use it, which is a plus.
Agreed that is the point I've been making through the whole thread that people are not getting lol.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man a the fastest 224 cam in a m6 ran 11.10 120 look it up one of my good friends at thunder racing ran that 8 years ok
Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wildside
Man a the fastest 224 cam in a m6 ran 11.10 120 look it up one of my good friends at thunder racing ran that 8 years ok
Isn't the cam only record in the 9's now, T-Rex I think?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

People.... a cam is a cam. Cams dont break records... the setup does. No matter what cam you get, your car has to be setup properly for it to perform.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by evangto87
People.... a cam is a cam. Cams dont break records... the setup does. No matter what cam you get, your car has to be setup properly for it to perform.

Good vid OP. Dug it.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
We are in SR&K... lol
True. I forgot that this is where we throw logic and reasoning out the window...lol.

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
I see you're getting back to your old self after the mauling in the lounge.

Just joking. But seriously, I bet my MS4 car would put a beating on your 224 cam car on the street from a roll or a dig. Those cams make more power - period. They run the quickest et's and traps. Why is that so hard to grasp?
Lol. Yup, and the mauling would have been less painful had more like you backed me up. But everyone's afraid of those topics apparently, at least I am not. . I'd love to see that, oh wait you don't have an ms4 car anymore? I'll run the German heap then? lol. My car isn't a 224 cam either

They also require you to change springs every 10k lol. The ms4 has almost .650 lift.
This is the worst part, I run a cam that can get a away with pac/comp 915/918 beehives. I could get away with the yellows too. But I wasn't really shooting for max NA power at the top of my tach. I need to get some other bits installed to compliment my stock exhaust manifolds . In the meantime it's a sleeper , love that.
Ugh that would be twice a year for me.
I only put on 3000 miles/year so that's not a concern for me, but I can see how it could be .
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
There are some slow *** cammed ls1's in this thread. Come on guys work on your combo. There are bolt-on ls1 that are out running you. example 1.... I went 12.6 @ 112.8 with some pretty minor bolt-ons. example 2...... We got my buddies ws6 to go 12.9@110 with just free mods and with baby seats in the back. Both cars on normal tires, no dr's. These #'s are from all the way back in 01.
Lol. Go Hio...
We can't all be winners.
Ahhh, but for those that can't, they can still be whiners, no?
I did 12.3@110 with not even fulll bolt-ons. That was with stock tb, maf, pulley and mailorder tune and a 1.8 60ft not to mention full weight. I think with the rest of the bolt-ons I have now and a better 60ft I could have went for 11's. Would have been easy 11 sec pass if I would have with with a 4k stall and some mt's.
Yeah stall her up good with some nice rubber. That sounds pretty good man

holy christ... that car only traps 109... how??? Is that in like 8500 da?

And the MS4 cam does perform great....in a stick car. I had it in my stalled auto. I had a 3500 converter...too small. Car fell on its face every shift and i reved it 7100. The circle D 4000 i put in on the other hand... made it be a WOT monster. Driveability suffered. I hated the spongeyness of the converter. If i had a stick car, I wouldnt be affraid to get aggressive with it because of the extra under drive gear allowing you to close up the shift extensions without use of a spongey converter. If i had an MS4 cam only setup. Id be spinning it 7100-7200 with 4.30s in the back. That setup works. An ms4 cammed car reving 6700-6800 with 3.42s in the back... is usually the car that gets upset by the smalled cammed guys. If youre affraid to turn the stock bottom end over 7k.... dont buy a big cam. However mine was forged so i was rev happy
Good post!

ARP rod bolts are your friend.
True.
Originally Posted by adamantium
No ****. Go back and read my statement. Again, Obviously an unproper setup is not going to run to its potential, that goes for ANY setup.

A friend of mine is a member on here with a hardtop stripper formula with heads and a small cam stalled auto and nitrous. On motor he traps 90mph in the 1/8th.

Heres a pic of his car.

No internet hype, just results and facts. The top 20 list or whatever is all big cam cars. Again, No hype just facts. I dont think you know what hype is.

What are you trying to get across? Your agrument literally has nothing to do with what i previously stated. No one is talking about optimal 1320 cars.... I was first arguing about getting my car to the 119mph trap and was thinking about getting a cam. I was using the cam only thread as a reference, since that is what i want a fast cam only car... For now.

You haven't specifically said that large cams don't work but you are arguing how in your opinion a smaller cam is more efficient.

All im saying is show me one small cam car in the cam only thread, that's all.
That is because the cam only thread boasts dyno numbers, that's all. As far as the top twenty list, my only comment is that they are primarily stalled autos... I guess you think the same cam is optimal no matter drivetrain?
I have no desire to "go back and read your post" lol...at all! Once is more than enough. I don't mean a smaller cam is "more efficient", I simply stated that compared to the amount of donkey dick cams I see on the street running like ****, there are a TON of well setup small cammed cars running like they should. Again, it's in the setup...why is that hard for you?
Possibly the best post in the thread! x2
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Launching!

LOL Wut? All camshafts aren't equal. Some make more power than others (I know huh, duh!). A properly setup larger cam will outperform the smaller duration camshafts majority of the time. Tons of examples on this very site, they even have a "Top 10 Fastest List".
Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Funny how its always the baby dick cam guys that bitch and moan yet most of the time have no times/traps to back their claims.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL Wut? All camshafts aren't equal. Some make more power than others (I know huh, duh!). A properly setup larger cam will outperform the smaller duration camshafts majority of the time. Tons of examples on this very site, they even have a "Top 10 Fastest List".
Lol, I don't think that's exactly what he meant.

Funny how its always the baby dick cam guys that bitch and moan yet most of the time have no times/traps to back their claims.
Well because first off the baby cams are mostly great for daily driver cams, and daily driver cams aren't dominant or most popular at the track. However, a well setup one can break a lot of hearts vs. just throwing in a large cam and thinking that's that. I know you know the difference, but so many on here don't. So the point is, a large cam doesn't ensure victory, and in fact may just give someone a poor running turd that doesn't perform, if they don't understand that it's all in the setup.

edit: be direct if you have something to say...I'm not the one living in the past, on a GM site still after selling all my GM cars only to boast about my "oh so superior AMG!! All hail Don't assume to know my mods, my friends around here don't even know, and don't assume to know my times or my past. It's funny how guys like you and Crashemall still come here to show off your less than stellar timeslips, while running a so-called superior platform.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
True. I forgot that this is where we throw logic and reasoning out the window...lol.

Lol. Yup, and the mauling would have been less painful had more like you backed me up. But everyone's afraid of those topics apparently, at least I am not. . I'd love to see that, oh wait you don't have an ms4 car anymore? I'll run the German heap then? lol. My car isn't a 224 cam either

This is the worst part, I run a cam that can get a away with pac/comp 915/918 beehives. I could get away with the yellows too. But I wasn't really shooting for max NA power at the top of my tach. I need to get some other bits installed to compliment my stock exhaust manifolds . In the meantime it's a sleeper , love that.

I only put on 3000 miles/year so that's not a concern for me, but I can see how it could be .

Lol. Go Hio...

Ahhh, but for those that can't, they can still be whiners, no?
Yeah stall her up good with some nice rubber. That sounds pretty good man

Good post!

True.
That is because the cam only thread boasts dyno numbers, that's all. As far as the top twenty list, my only comment is that they are primarily stalled autos... I guess you think the same cam is optimal no matter drivetrain?
I have no desire to "go back and read your post" lol...at all! Once is more than enough. I don't mean a smaller cam is "more efficient", I simply stated that compared to the amount of donkey dick cams I see on the street running like ****, there are a TON of well setup small cammed cars running like they should. Again, it's in the setup...why is that hard for you?

Possibly the best post in the thread! x2
First off, I'm speaking on the Cam only list that posts et's/mph along with main specs of the setup including vehicle weight, stall, gear, etc.

Secondly, my "heap" is a 5000lb, 5-seater grocery getter that probably runs high 12s with a tire at best. Trust me, drag racing was the furthest thing on my mind when I made the purchase. I have a Busa I will gladly run you with though, I'll even spot you 15 cars.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Lol, I don't think that's exactly what he meant.

Well because first off the baby cams are mostly great for daily driver cams, and daily driver cams aren't dominant or most popular at the track. However, a well setup one can break a lot of hearts vs. just throwing in a large cam and thinking that's that. I know you know the difference, but so many on here don't. So the point is, a large cam doesn't ensure victory, and in fact may just give someone a poor running turd that doesn't perform, if they don't understand that it's all in the setup.
We've already covered that it takes a proper setup on any cam no matter big or small. Now its just you small cam guys holding on for dear life.

Originally Posted by Oddwraith
edit: be direct if you have something to say...I'm not the one living in the past, on a GM site still after selling all my GM cars only to boast about my "oh so superior AMG!! All hail Don't assume to know my mods, my friends around here don't even know, and don't assume to know my times or my past. It's funny how guys like you and Crashemall still come here to show off your less than stellar timeslips in a superior platform.
LOL. My AMG eh.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah and my brother in law has an '11 Zx10r for that, and likely to put you to shame, so what? We're talking ballz to de wallz here aint we? That's what I thought you were implying...since nowhere did I say I bought my car for the 1320 here either, did I? So I guess since your car is so slow, maybe you don't know what you are talking about. It's funny how all the slow *** import guys are the ones to claim to know so much... See what I'm saying? Don't be so damn naive lol jk.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Redfire 03;16706965][QUOTE=oddwraith;16706926]Lol, I don't think that's exactly what he meant.

We've already covered that it takes a proper setup on any cam no matter big or small. Now its just you small cam guys holding on
or dear life.

LOL. My AMG eh.

Hey it's a cool car and all, don't be so hard on yourself...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Yeah and my brother in law has an '11 Zx10r for that, and likely to put you to shame, so what? We're talking ballz to de wallz here aint we? That's what I thought you were implying...since nowhere did I say I bought my car for the 1320 here either, did I? So I guess since your car is so slow, maybe you don't know what you are talking about. It's funny how all the slow *** import guys are the ones to claim to know so much... See what I'm saying? Don't be so damn naive lol jk.
I guarantee I am more educated in the LS world than you are.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

**** everytime I post something up you're jumping in talking **** about how "it's only the baby cammed cars with no slips or races that complain", or "it's funny how...." blah blah blah. Keep in mind you don't know me from a hole in the ground, and that you aren't exactly the "cookie monster" around here... I'm not the one calling you a punk, like you are pretty much calling me.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guarantee I am more educated in the LS world than you are.
I doubt you are as educated as well as I in ANY world lol...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

did i say all cams are equal? No... way to put words in my mouth and change around what i said just to continue arguing... I sometimes wonder if you even read what i type or just fill in the blanks.

Setup>particular cam

Quick Reply: 99 Cam Only LS1 T/A vs Almost stock '11 5.0