Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

H/c Ta vs bolt on 5.0 and C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilmiller74
AWD- I have a motor and nitrous tune in the car now, but that was a 40 roll from second gear which isnt a good roll for me. But i was still supprised i didnt start pulling sooner, the 5.0 is fast!
Oh gotcha so you got a more optimal tune for motor/spray cuz i remember awhile ago u said it wasnt good on motor since u tuned it for spray.

Ya thats not a good spot lol
Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Oh gotcha so you got a more optimal tune for motor/spray cuz i remember awhile ago u said it wasnt good on motor since u tuned it for spray.

Ya thats not a good spot lol
Yea before I just had timing pulled all the time and it was a compleat dog on motor, now I have a switch that when I arm the nitrous kit it pulls 6* of timing.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=BayAreaSS;16843541]This is an entertaining thread.

I think all the cars in this vid run how they should. Nothing spectacular but def not turds.
But the TA can't "hang" with ANY h/c car. That's a bold statement for a car with that set up. But then again I'm sure everyone has different definitions of what hanging is.

Well stated. And to make blanket statements of that nature is just plain foolish.

It's difficult not to be impressed by the new 5.0s, though. I'm pleased to see that Ford has unleashed a mod motor that can kick serious tail in N/A form, and on pump gas, in a user friendly, daily driven package. It was a long time coming, but worth waiting for.

Now, if Mopar and Chevrolet would just hook their cars up with Jenny Craig......
Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
This is an entertaining thread.

I think all the cars in this vid run how they should. Nothing spectacular but def not turds.
But the TA can't "hang" with ANY h/c car. That's a bold statement for a car with that set up. But then again I'm sure everyone has different definitions of what hanging is.

I do know those 5.0s are good cars that can be made fast easily. I hope to run into one at the track that has a good amount of mods.
I dont think he meant it like that man...he is just annoyed that every video we post you guys bash his car. I mean he has a mildy ported ls6 heads ( just the exhaust side) still has an ls6 intake and stock 342s it makes 415 rwhp.... his car would gain tremendously from some 390-410 gears and a fast intake. We are saying for his mods it runs very well. And its conpletely irrelevant comparing track times and trao speeds clear across america.....and i know your car is fast and we have been talking for years but ill tell you the same i put my kidney on the line your car will not go that fast here....
Old 10-26-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corysmach1
I dont think he meant it like that man...he is just annoyed that every video we post you guys bash his car. I mean he has a mildy ported ls6 heads ( just the exhaust side) still has an ls6 intake and stock 342s it makes 415 rwhp.... his car would gain tremendously from some 390-410 gears and a fast intake. We are saying for his mods it runs very well. And its conpletely irrelevant comparing track times and trao speeds clear across america.....and i know your car is fast and we have been talking for years but ill tell you the same i put my kidney on the line your car will not go that fast here....
I've never bashed his car but I know what you mean. Our track is at sea level but I've never raced in negative DA before. And even if the car won't go that fast out there it would still be faster then most the other ls1 cars around so the times aren't that important
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by adamantium
If he's beat a car with similar mods to the one in this vid AND gutted to **** why isn't he entitled to his opinion? He's obviously had experience in this situation. From what I see in this section Mike doesn't make comments like this without having a reason for it. Now my opinion is this, the 5.0 is a low 120mph car as is the c6 and your car is sub 120mph car. That c6 put the same amount of cars the 5.0 did on you in a matter of 2 gears lol.
Has he raced one from a roll? His opinion is based on the track in his geared, stalled, auto. we are talking about roll racing. Im not impressed with his 117 trapped speed at the fastest track in america. Oh well....he can talk all the crap he wants.

and the c6 only pulled a few feet before he missed the gear???
Old 10-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by automach1
My car was in the 12s on stock manifolds too bud don't kid yourself. Just stating guy acts like a cocky ***** and it shows.
big difference between high 12 and botom 12.........and i may be wrong but it might make a 11 sec pass on manifolds within 3 weeks
Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Banned

12.6 is not high 12s and that was with a crap 60ft heavier weight stock intak mani etc..
Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
Your cocky about low 13 second mach 1 s
Just ignore him. He is cocky and doesn't have a running car. In the three years he has run his mouth three of my cars are in the 10s. Gues those mod motors are not easy or fast enough to make impressive.

Originally Posted by adamantium
If he's beat a car with similar mods to the one in this vid AND gutted to **** why isn't he entitled to his opinion? He's obviously had experience in this situation. From what I see in this section Mike doesn't make comments like this without having a reason for it. Now my opinion is this, the 5.0 is a low 120mph car as is the c6 and your car is sub 120mph car. That c6 put the same amount of cars the 5.0 did on you in a matter of 2 gears lol.
Bingo. Some people need to read my threads again. I have raced them on rolls and from a dig from SVT forums. I workout with three 5.0 owners. I bounce on weekend with two others. I got flamed to hell warning LS1 owners about what they can run on here years ago. I have no problem with them. My dispute states the Trans Am is on the extreme slow end for a heads cam car and his claim he runs on par with heads cam car-no way. So is my heads cam car(not fast) but it would waste the operators roll or not. Hell there are three here that run low 10s and trap 128-130MPH.

Originally Posted by corysmach1
Omg of course were still going off track times with an stalled auto car at the fastest track in america....this thread is amazing!!!!

Learn how to read my threads and get some experience with a stalled car. On a 30MPH roll my 10.00 139MPH Stang can't shake it till 50MPH. I would read up on what a torque converter can do especially at low speeds. My converter with heads is now 4200(my times posted are with a 3800). With full time MTs and 373s a 30MPH roll is like being shot from a rubber band. I went 11.55 116MPH with stock heads at 75/80 which is the slowest track in the east. Wait this is even better.....here is the car with bolt ons full weight,sway bars on,stock gears,jack and spare in the car at 7580 in August with STOCK CAM...gee with a Fast,some lighter wheels,K member,more stall and 373s who knows how fast it might have gone. And again my car is not that fast compared to many on here. I run my car hot and in full street trim so yes the times suck. I don't care and I don't do it to impress. I have other cars for that. Its a daily driver weekend car.

Want to challenge a stalled A4 car then challenge them on a 50MPH roll not a 30. BIG MISTAKE.

My point is a average heads cam car(not mine or the Trans Am) should have not got pulled by that stang which I have plenty of experience running against that type of car at or near full weight on rolls or from a stop. Not a bash but stating. My car is not fast for a heads cam car. But its faster than the OPs for sure even on a 30 kick. My car is lighter probably about 200 pounds,has a better cam,has more gear and has better heads. And tomorrow a better intake with a tune. Don't get butt hurt about it and call my car names or cry you live in a different area or that you can hang with other heads cammed cars. Improve the car. If you can't take a different opinion then don't post or read threads.

Last edited by Mike Morris; 10-26-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Teching In

12.6 is not high 12s and that was with a crap 60ft heavier weight stock intak mani etc..
12.6 is a mid. And you already stated before you had gears to get there. I didnt. But i do now thats whats gonna help send it in the 11s
Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Just ignore him. He is cocky and doesn't have a running car. In the three years he has run his mouth three of my cars are in the 10s. Gues those mod motors are not easy or fast enough to make impressive.

Bingo. Some people need to read my threads again. I have raced them on rolls and from a dig from SVT forums. I workout with three 5.0 owners. I bounce on weekend with two others. I got flamed to hell warning LS1 owners about what they can run on here years ago. I have no problem with them. My dispute states the Trans Am is on the extreme slow end for a heads cam car and his claim he runs on par with heads cam car-no way. So is my heads cam car(not fast) but it would waste the operators roll or not. Hell there are three here that run low 10s and trap 128-130MPH.

Learn how to read my threads and get some experience with a stalled car. On a 30MPH roll my 10.00 139MPH Stang can't shake it till 50MPH. I would read up on what a torque converter can do especially at low speeds. My converter with heads is now 4200(my times posted are with a 3800). With full time MTs and 373s a 30MPH roll is like being shot from a rubber band. I went 11.55 116MPH with stock heads at 75/80 which is the slowest track in the east. Wait this is even better.....here is the car with bolt ons full weight,sway bars on,stock gears,jack and spare in the car at 7580 in August with STOCK CAM...gee with a Fast,some lighter wheels,K member,more stall and 373s who knows how fast it might have gone. And again my car is not that fast compared to many on here. I run my car hot and in full street trim so yes the times suck. I don't care and I don't do it to impress. I have other cars for that. Its a daily driver weekend car.

Want to challenge a stalled A4 car then challenge them on a 50MPH roll not a 30. BIG MISTAKE.

My point is a average heads cam car(not mine or the Trans Am) should have not got pulled by that stang which I have plenty of experience running against that type of car at or near full weight on rolls or from a stop. Not a bash but stating. My car is not fast for a heads cam car. But its faster than the OPs for sure even on a 30 kick. My car is lighter probably about 200 pounds,has a better cam,has more gear and has better heads. And tomorrow a better intake with a tune. Don't get butt hurt about it and call my car names or cry you live in a different area or that you can hang with other heads cammed cars. Improve the car. If you can't take a different opinion then don't post or read threads.
Lol ok....talk all you want man. Untill you have raced these cars and beat them dont say what you " THINK YOU KNOW"
Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lilmiller74
Omg you guys are rediculous. Why come in here and hate on people cars? The 5.0 runs really well and is driven really well. They can be fast, get over it. 00silverGTP's car runs just as strong as a car that made 433/398, there is nothing wrong with his car.

AWD- I have a motor and nitrous tune in the car now, but that was a 40 roll from second gear which isnt a good roll for me. But i was still supprised i didnt start pulling sooner, the 5.0 is fast!
When did the Trans Am pull up? Was the race over once he saw taillights? Or when the other car put the brakes on?

Let's think about this. The stock LS1 was rated at 320 net hp, if we figure a conservative 15% drive train loss, that puts his baseline at 272 rwhp. He's quoting 417 rwhp from h/c.

The Mustang is 412 net hp, with the same 15% loss, he's got 350 rwhp plus the h/c/i. The TA picked up 145 hp from his h/c if the mustang picked up the same, then the mustang should be putting down 495 rwhp.

The Corvette's 400 net hp = 340 rwhp + 145 hp = 485 rwhp

So y'all have a 70 - 80 hp advantage on him.

However, if that Mustang is putting out 1.6 rwhp per cubic inch.... damn!!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

did juice change his screen name?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Thunderkyss
When did the Trans Am pull up? Was the race over once he saw taillights? Or when the other car put the brakes on?

Let's think about this. The stock LS1 was rated at 320 net hp, if we figure a conservative 15% drive train loss, that puts his baseline at 272 rwhp. He's quoting 417 rwhp from h/c.

The Mustang is 412 net hp, with the same 15% loss, he's got 350 rwhp plus the h/c/i. The TA picked up 145 hp from his h/c if the mustang picked up the same, then the mustang should be putting down 495 rwhp.

Ummn what? Lol
Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, we'll start with this. If the TA was "trying" to race all the way until the Mustang or the Vette hit their brakes, then something simply isn't right.

From what we've been told about all three cars, they shouldn't have pulled away from the TA like that.

Now if the TA gave up when the Mustang or the Vette was 1/2 to 3/4 ahead, then yeah, nothing's wrong with the TA.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, we'll start with this. If the TA was "trying" to race all the way until the Mustang or the Vette hit their brakes, then something simply isn't right.

From what we've been told about all three cars, they shouldn't have pulled away from the TA like that.

Now if the TA gave up when the Mustang or the Vette was 1/2 to 3/4 ahead, then yeah, nothing's wrong with the TA.
the race with the stang was clean. the race with the vet was short and I got a late hit but it wouldnt have mattered. that race was on spray. he has a 150 shot to my 100 shot, i was giving up 75+ wheel and he has 400 lbs on me. lol.

heres my question. you have two cars, forget the make or model. car 1. makes slightly more power than car 2. both weight about the same. car 1 has way better gears. who should win? just based on that info....
Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
12.6 is a mid. And you already stated before you had gears to get there. I didnt. But i do now thats whats gonna help send it in the 11s
Like I said before put some geasrs and longtubes in it run some high 11s and I can show you a handful of machs that have done the same.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

You may be one of three people left in the known universe who still think the stock ls1 camaro actually made 305-320hp.

Ive also literally never read math like this before.

Last edited by evangto87; 10-26-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Like I said before put some geasrs and longtubes in it run some high 11s and I can show you a handful of machs that have done the same.
no show me some high eleven machs on manifolds and full interior.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00silverGTP
the race with the stang was clean. the race with the vet was short and I got a late hit but it wouldnt have mattered. that race was on spray. he has a 150 shot to my 100 shot, i was giving up 75+ wheel and he has 400 lbs on me. lol.
Ok, I missed that. The 150 shot explains the vette. I thought it was all on motor. My mistake.

Originally Posted by 00silverGTP
heres my question. you have two cars, forget the make or model. car 1. makes slightly more power than car 2. both weight about the same. car 1 has way better gears. who should win? just based on that info....
The car with way-better gears, which brings us to where we are now. You'd have to believe car1 is making slightly more power. Car2 has been measured at 417rwhp how much power is car1 making on roughly the same mods?

If I told you you could make 482 rwhp with a head, cam, & intake, would you believe me? RWHP? That's basically what he's saying with his 302. If he's making 420 rwhp with his 302, that's 1.39rwhp/ci which is extremely efficient.

& way better gears, what are we talking about a 3.73 vs 3.42? better, but not way better. are you running 2.73? I could buy that if that's the case.

Originally Posted by evangto87
You may be one of three people left in the known universe who still think the stock ls1 camaro actually made 305-320hp.
Exactly, so the HP gain isn't 145 rwhp from his mods, it's less. The same would hold true imo for "car1" there's only so much power you're going to get from heads/cam right? how much do you thin "car1" is putting out? rough estimate? 420? 440?

Now look how he pulled away from that TA, that looks like at least 50 hp difference, at the wheels. if the numbers for the TA is right, 417 rwhp, car1 has got to be at 465 rwhp. from heads, cam, & intake.

If they got it like that, I'm just saying wow. That's 1.53 rwhp per cubic inch & that's a technological marvel. Unless something is wrong with car2.

Quick Reply: H/c Ta vs bolt on 5.0 and C6