Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

H/c Ta vs bolt on 5.0 and C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderkyss
Ok, I missed that. The 150 shot explains the vette. I thought it was all on motor. My mistake.

The car with way-better gears, which brings us to where we are now. You'd have to believe car1 is making slightly more power. Car2 has been measured at 417rwhp how much power is car1 making on roughly the same mods?

If I told you you could make 482 rwhp with a head, cam, & intake, would you believe me? RWHP? That's basically what he's saying with his 302. If he's making 420 rwhp with his 302, that's 1.39hp/ci which is extremely efficient.

& way better gears, what are we talking about a 3.73 vs 3.42? better, but not way better. are you running 2.73? I could buy that if that's the case.

Exactly, so the HP gain isn't 145 rwhp from his mods, it's less. The same would hold true imo for "car1" there's only so much power you're going to get from heads/cam right? how much do you thin "car1" is putting out? rough estimate? 420? 440?

Now look how he pulled away from that TA, that looks like at least 50 hp difference, at the wheels. if the numbers for the TA is right, 417 rwhp, car1 has got to be at 465 rwhp. from heads, cam, & intake.

If they got it like that, I'm just saying wow. That's 1.53 rwhp per cubic inch & that's a technological marvel.
Your basing this simply off dyno numbers. How about everything else? How about they way they put down power? Average hp? Gearing? These are what win races..The 5.0 i guarentee is putting the power down the best of the three. I dont have to say why because i have said it a million times in the past.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by evangto87
Your basing this simply off dyno numbers. How about everything else? How about they way they put down power? Average hp? Gearing? These are what win races..The 5.0 i guarentee is putting the power down the best of the three. I dont have to say why because i have said it a million times in the past.
Well, I'll go look through your posts to find your explanation. Yes, I believe there is going to be more to it than just the dyno numbers, but the dyno numbers are a big part of it.

If we're talking about "average hp" to me, that could be the "something's wrong" with the TA. I'm under the impression that both cars are M6s & the "average hp" is off because he's shifting too early.

Even gearing. If he's running a 2.73, that could be the "something's wrong"

Is the gearing that much better in the Mustang six speed?

Is it the suspension? what about the suspension make the power transfer that much more efficient in the mustang? what can he do to the TA to improve?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 92cobranotch
no show me some high eleven machs on manifolds and full interior.

Oh ok hiho jr. I will gladly post simiar raceweight machs with similar mods as you .
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

thunder - I'm not sure what your trying to say. we are not arguing mod for mod. They are saying something is wrong with my car, based on a bolt on 5.0 beat me. My point is this...

5.0 makes more power and better gears. same weight. shouldn't the 5.0 win? I think so...

I don't have the best setup, I know that. But for what it is, I think it runs good. Not the worst as Mike thinks (I can think of 4-5 around here that all make around 440 that I would give a good run), but obvious not the fastest.

Last edited by 00silverGTP; 10-26-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by automach1
Oh ok hiho jr. I will gladly post simiar raceweight machs with similar mods as you .
Please tell us more about your 5 yr mach build that isn't ready yet.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00silverGTP
thunder - I'm not sure what your trying to say. we are not arguing mod for mod. They are saying something is wrong with my car, based on a bolt on 5.0 beat me. My point is this...

5.0 makes more power and better gears. same weight. shouldn't the 5.0 win? I think so...

I don't have the best setup, I know that. But for what it is, I think it runs good. Not the worst as Mike thinks (I can think of 4-5 around here that all make around 440 that I would give a good run), but obvious not the fastest.
Well, this is a long thread & I got kinda crossed up anyway. I was thinking the 5.0 had a h/c as well, but it's just a bolt on including intake.

Explain to me how a bolt-on 5.0 is making more power than you. You said you're making 417 rwhp. evangto87 is making 417 rwhp, but he's got a cam. So the bolt on 5.0 with the Boss intake is making more power than evangto87?

It's just a little hard to believe is all. If that's true, evangto87 should have saved his money & just got a GT.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, this is a long thread & I got kinda crossed up anyway. I was thinking the 5.0 had a h/c as well, but it's just a bolt on including intake.

Explain to me how a bolt-on 5.0 is making more power than you. You said you're making 417 rwhp. evangto87 is making 417 rwhp, but he's got a cam. So the bolt on 5.0 with the Boss intake is making more power than evangto87?

It's just a little hard to believe is all. If that's true, evangto87 should have saved his money & just got a GT.
what? How do i have a cam? I think you need clarification on some of the new 5.0 motors. My car is so far from full potential its not even funny. And again with dyno numbers. All dynos are different. My car made 417whp on Dez racings dyno jet. The same dyno that a full bolt on including boss 302 intake has made 410whp. And a 2.76 pullied, catless x pipe, air intake, catback 03 cobra made 416whp on. My buddies boss 302 made 447whp on this dyno with longtubes and high flow cats and a lesser exhaust then mine.

The roadrunner motor will make 25-30whp more mod for mod over a coyote.

You cant keep comparing dyno numbers from different dynos across the country. It doesnt work like that.

Also the gearing advantage comes from the transmission, NOT the ring and pinion. First gear is 3.66.. fifth gear is 1:1. From 0-165mph, my car makes peak power.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

So what does a full bolt on boss 302 make on a normal dynojet
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

what? How do i have a cam?
Sorry, your sig says CO & I've obviously misunderstood that for Cam Only.

You cant keep comparing dyno numbers from different dynos across the country. It doesnt work like that.
I understand that, but it should give us a ball park, I would think. So you've got a Boss 302. What's the difference between a Boss 302 & a GT?

Do you think they would make the same power if you put the Boss intake on the GT? Close?

If I read the rest of your sig correctly & you dynoed 417 rwhp, that's impressive as f@# from a 5 liter motor.
Also the gearing advantage comes from the transmission, NOT the ring and pinion. First gear is 3.66.. fifth gear is 1:1. From 0-165mph, my car makes peak power.
THis makes sense, I'll have to look into that.

Last edited by Thunderkyss; 10-26-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont know evans setup. Numbers r what they are. We both dynoed on same dyno. I cant explain dyno numbers....lol. hes got e85 too.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, your sig says CO & I've obviously misunderstood that for Cam Only.

I understand that, but it should give us a ball park, I would think. So you've got a Boss 302. What's the difference between a Boss 302 & a GT?

Do you think they would make the same power if you put the Boss intake on the GT? Close?

If I read the rest of your sig correctly & you dynoed 417 rwhp, that's impressive as f@# from a 5 liter motor.
The entire motor is different. I have a forged bottom end, the GTs have cast pistons. My motor is clearanced a lot more for rpm then the GTs. I have factory CNC heads, the GTs have cast heads. My intake and exhaust cams have more lift (same duration) then the GT cams. I also have a better oiling system for high RPM as well. The Boss intake is only 1 piece of the entire motor. Swapping the intake does not equalize the motors... it will however extend the revs quite a bit. My car made 417whp through the stock cats and stock drivetrain. I expect another 25-30whp out of longtubes with high flow cats and another 10-15whp out of pulling 75-100lbs out of the drivetrain.

Like i said, my car made a bit more power as it sits then a full bolt on GT on the same dyno and his car included the Boss intake.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00silverGTP
I dont know evans setup. Numbers r what they are. We both dynoed on same dyno. I cant explain dyno numbers....lol. hes got e85 too.
All I can say to that is wow.... you think the 5.0 was making more power than you right?

You & evangto dyno'd your cars on the same dyno right?

So that bolt on 5.0 with Boss intake is making more power than evans car?

Sorry, just having a hard time wrapping my head around that.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
So what does a full bolt on boss 302 make on a normal dynojet
No clue honestly. Ive "seen" on the interwebs... numbers as high as 475whp. But I dont go by anything other then what i experience. Guy i knows boss made 447whp and so far... ive made more power then him mod for mod (under 5whp difference). I do have a higher flowing catback and a TB on him though. That could be the slight difference.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I can say to that is wow.... you think the 5.0 was making more power than you right?

Where are you getting your info from??? lol I live in RI. Im no wheres near these guys. Our cars HAVE NOT been on the same dyno.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

My motor is clearanced a lot more for rpm then the GTs.
What does yours redline at?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

evan is a sandbagger. he has a completely built ls engine in his boss and he down plays it as a normal boss engine.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Where are you getting your info from??? lol I live in RI. Im no wheres near these guys. Our cars HAVE NOT been on the same dyno.
I quoted him word for word.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
evan is a sandbagger. he has a completely built ls engine in his boss and he down plays it as a normal boss engine.
lmao..
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

no, no. the 5.0 I raced made 420 on the same dyno I made 415. I don't know evan...lol. I know the owner of the 5.0 I raced pretty well. We raced once before this and I beat him. That didn't go so well, so he went and bought the boss intake, added e85, and bought some racestars...lol and this race was the result.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

What does yours redline at?
it hasnt "redlined" yet. Rev limiter right now is at 7800. Curve hasnt dropped yet. I suspect it will hold steady for another 300-400rpm. Its literally straight as an arrow. I dont rev it anymore because ive already covered my entire in gear power range with flat power. No point in reving higher.

Quick Reply: H/c Ta vs bolt on 5.0 and C6