Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2013 ZL1 vs 2013 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by evangto87
I cant fully agree with this statement. Id love to own a G8. In my opinion they are one of the most practical cars to mod and still drive around town. At the end of the day, are they the fastest car..no... but that wouldnt stop me from owning one in a heart beat. Look at Screamins car. He has FAR from a lot of money in that car. He has a full exhaust, ud pulley, and a small cam. It traps 114 through the auto. That thing will suck up 95% of the cars it runs into on the street and it will do it with one finger on the wheel while sipping a coffee in the other hand. I love both chevy and fords line ups. I just think they dropped the ball with the 5th gen. They could very easily fix this issue for the enthusiast by making a very light weight, big powered NA car. I still vote the z28 should be a 3500lb ls7 NA car. Now THATS a fifth gen i would buy.
I owned a G8 with the full exhaust, cold air, udp, and nitrous that trapped 117. Why good car and surprised a lot of people I was still to heavy. Plus had some bad luck.with it. People hitting it.

If the would make a 5th Gen out the gate that weighed 3500lbs or less like a base 5.0 I would have bought one. If they come with one then might be next. Least it has to.make 450hp n/a to start as well. Till then no thanks. Next for me seems to be a grandspor or GTR.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not comparing the coyote. I'm comparing the road runner. It makes more power out of he box...its a forged motor. Piston cooling jets. Clearanced for very high rpm. Bottom line is it is designed to handle higher power at a higher rpm for long periods of time.

That's like saying a standard ls3 is better then a built ls3 with cnc heads with all the bells and whissles.

The coyote and ls3 to me are equal motors. One will make the power from spinning rpm.. the other will do it at a lower rpm through bogger cubes. Its pretty common sense in that aspect
The Coyote has the piston cooling jets. And actually they didn't put them in the Boss. Cause of the high rpms. They deleted them in the 13's as well. Do a search and you will find that out. Boss never had they. And had some late 12's with them deleted also.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
The Coyote has the piston cooling jets. If I remember right they actually didn't put them in the Boss. Cause of the high rpms. They deleted them in the 13's as well. And had some late 12's with them deleted also.
I know thwy have them in the coyote too. I swore i read they were in the roadrunner as well. But then again... you never know. And i don't understand deleting them. Especially for the reasons of high rpm
Old 11-22-2012, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Boss no cooling

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...squirters.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-good-bad.html

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...ling-jets.html
Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

I know thwy have them in the coyote too. I swore i read they were in the roadrunner as well. But then again... you never know. And i don't understand deleting them. Especially for the reasons of high rpm
They put the forged pistons in. Therefore didn't need them. People that have in turn built the coyote engines have done the delete for the squirters as well.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Running forged internals defeats the purpose of running oil squirters. plus deleting that, i guess would bump up the oil pressure a good amount. which IMO is more important in a high reving motor. Honda guys do this with the b18c/b18cR blocks.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OEM
6.2l vs 5.8l... wonder who wins that race...

Oh wait.
4 valves per cylinder versus 2
Old 11-22-2012, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I like alot of the new Ford stuff myself. But the **** they made after the introduction of the 2v til the 5.0 was crap.....all of it. G'8's are pretty bangin cars, if Gm would've brought it over as a Chevy initially they may have avoided bankrupsy...well that and some other dumb **** they did like the SSr, bringing the GTO over as a Pontiac, stop making the Camaro.
Not saying the old f150's was great trucks. But simply out sold the completion. If I was to buy a new truck today though it would be the eco boost f150. Then again I could get better deal on a silverado.

G8's was ni e cars just cost to much really. That why didn't sell great. If would been Chevy might been able to charge the 34k they was for a GT and 40k for a gxp. I bought mine new in early 09 and was able to get it for 28k instead of 34k cause they just wasn't selling. Sad part is I knew lots people who paid 34k in 08 for theirs when first came out. 6 months later people was buying new still for 4-6k less.

I just seen a SSr the other day. **** they are still ugly.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

find me an article where they removed the oil squirters from the 2013 and give a reason for it. Or was that what they used to make the extra hp in the coyotes from the roadrunner? Seems a stupid idea to me

Last edited by evangto87; 11-22-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mini_me
4 valves per cylinder versus 2

So that makes up for cubic inches?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
So that makes up for cubic inches?
Nope. I would love for them to build a 6.0L+ modular as a base engine though. At least make it an option.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

I don't understand that argument.

People act like more valves per cylinder equate cubic inches.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Banned

Cubes aint **** if you don't have the proper flowing heads and nice cam/cams to back it up. Im willing to bet the 5.0 being that its modular has some nice healthy sized cams from factory and again since its modular you don't have to sacrifice drivability to run bigger cams in OEM form.

The 5.0s make the power they make at like 7500+ RPMs (because of lack of cubes) while most LSx cars are making that power 1000+ RPMs sooner.

In terms of pushing the edge of OEM performance modular motors sure do get it done easier.

Why else do you think ford optioned them with a 3.73 gear? lol.

Edit: In terms of tech and the way of the future Modular VVT is the way to go, it is going to push the envelope of OEM performance and drivability farther than a pushrod can. That's common sense. What GM has done to the pushrod layout with the LSx platform is INSANE, and still giving the new ford modulars a run for there money, IMO.

Last edited by adamantium; 11-22-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

find me an article where they removed the oil squirters from the 2013 and give a reason for it. Or was that what they used to make the extra hp in the coyotes from the roadrunner? Seems a stupid idea to me
The extra HP came from the tune. The 13's got the squirters deleted along with different pistons and rings.

As you know the extra power in the roadrunner come from the cams, heads and intake. Seems to be more the intake then anything. Least in upper rpm range as on the Coyote is where the boss intake shines. But the intake also causes a tq loss down low. That why you see a boss rated at less tq but more HP.

Shops like jpc have swapped ecu's now to spin the coyote to 8500 rpms. Like on their n/a car that ran 9's. Doing same on a boss I think you could run it to 9000. The n/a 5.0 CobrA jet uses boss heads but more aggressive cams and different Ecu to spin it to crazy rpm. Its been in the low 10's so far during testing.

Last edited by ohioborn80; 11-22-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do obviously. How do you think those little N/A 281 & 302 cubic inch motors can make the power they do? Try to do that with a pushrod motor that size. lol There is a reason Ford went that route...
Old 11-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

I love how no one acknowledged my opinion on the matter lol.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
[/b]
They do obviously. How do you think those little N/A 281 & 302 cubic inch motors can make the power they do? Try to do that with a pushrod motor that size. lol There is a reason Ford went that route...
So you think they are more impressive than a LS engine of similar size?

Ford uses the 4 valves per cylinder due to the small bore and not being able to fit 2 big valves.

A big bore small stroke engine would probably make more power with 2 valves per cylinder than Ford's current mod motor with it's 4 valve arrangement.

I hope this isn't over your head.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ford uses the 4 valves per cylinder due to the small bore and not being able to fit 2 big valves.

A big bore small stroke engine would probably make more power with 2 valves per cylinder than Ford's current mod motor with it's 4 valve arrangement.

Heres what happens when you add extra valves to an ls motor.

http://araoengineering.com/LSX.htm

Now do I think they are worth the price, obviously not, but dont think that those extra valves dont make almost all the difference. But remember, you are comparing a new motor to a motor thats be relatively unchanged since 1997. The lt1 is going to eat the coyote alive.....with pushrods.

EDIT: also how the hell do you figure to similar engines (big bore small stroke) would make more power taking in less air. Thats probably the stupidestest **** Ive ever heard. There is a reason pretty much ever engine of the same bore and stroke will make more power with 4 valves (even with a smaller cam).....because its pulling in MORE air. I hope that isnt over your head, but by your post I would guess so.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss1129
Heres what happens when you add extra valves to an ls motor.

http://araoengineering.com/LSX.htm

Now do I think they are worth the price, obviously not, but dont think that those extra valves dont make almost all the difference. But remember, you are comparing a new motor to a motor thats be relatively unchanged since 1997. The lt1 is going to eat the coyote alive.....with pushrods.

EDIT: also how the hell do you figure to similar engines (big bore small stroke) would make more power taking in less air. Thats probably the stupidestest **** Ive ever heard. There is a reason pretty much ever engine of the same bore and stroke will make more power with 4 valves (even with a smaller cam).....because its pulling in MORE air. I hope that isnt over your head, but by your post I would guess so.

If that is the stupidest **** you've ever heard, then you must be a smart motherfocker.

Look at Pro Stock engines, Nascar engines, they have big bores small strokes.
I understand that 4 small valves will move more air than 2 valves in the same area, but that wasn't what I was saying. I was saying more valves doesn't make up for additional cubic inches.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If that is the stupidest **** you've ever heard, then you must be a smart motherfocker.

Look at Pro Stock engines, Nascar engines, they have big bores small strokes.
I understand that 4 small valves will move more air than 2 valves in the same area, but that wasn't what I was saying. I was saying more valves doesn't make up for additional cubic inches.
Yes it does. Hence the reason why the 5.0 runs with a 6.2. The valves are a BIG part of it. Running the exact same two engines one with 2 valves and one with 4. The 4 valve is always capable of making more power. Nascar doesnt run 4 valves because its prohibitited not because they dont want to do it.

Quick Reply: 2013 ZL1 vs 2013 GT500