Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 Cobra vs. Viper, 03 Cobra & cam only Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by adamantium
You know an SRA swap drops around 100lbs from what ive been told right?
Yep that is correct, and then he dropped roughly another 100 lbs on top of that
Old 12-14-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car on the title says 3380 IIRC...
Most ls1 cars are also ttop cars leather ect. I do understand some lighter hard roof fbodys but 3200?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol don't do it, i have that exact same setup, with the same exact muffler. The muffler is awesome but with a TSP ORY, way to raspy, the 3 inch ORY is to small. You need atleast a 4" a 4" is around the same as having 3" true duals, 3" ORY is too small even for my bolt on setup, i can only imagine your H/C car.
Lol you are exactly right about the raspy part. It's friggin rediculous at normal part throttle driving lol. I never thought about the 3" ORY being the issue actually...i'll definitely look into that as well thanks
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I never even considered that a modded F-body could be a tad lighter than stock. That's a very interesting point! The reason the Cobra has 3.73's is because it has a solid axle swap from a gt, so he had the gears laying around as well, and figured what the hell
An fbody will drop considerable amount of weight with normal modding.
Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Most? How is that Without weight reduction to drop that much weight?
My 02 Ws6 100% full weight + a few #s weighed in at 3470#. EGR, cast manifolds, cats, etc etc add up pretty quickly and that car would be in the 33XX range with ZERO weight reduction and stock 17X9.5 Ws6 rims.

My 2000 full weight with nothing but pro stars weighed 3265.

Once you start weighing Fbody cars, you would be surprised at how lite they are and how quickly they drop weight when adding mods.

You can get to high 31XX easily with a few bucks for lite weight suspension pieces while buying suspension, and a set of drag rims.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12

My 02 Ws6 100% full weight + a few #s weighed in at 3470#. EGR, cast manifolds, cats, etc etc add up pretty quickly and that car would be in the 33XX range with ZERO weight reduction and stock 17X9.5 Ws6 rims.

Once you start weighing Fbody cars, you would be surprised at how lite they are and how quickly they drop weight when adding mods.

You can get to high 31XX easily with a few bucks for lite weight suspension pieces while buying suspension, and a set of drag rims.

Never looked at it that way.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think either most people are ignorant of that fact or just plain choose to ignore it.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep that is correct, and then he dropped roughly another 100 lbs on top of that
Wow your car is def a strong runner then. I thought it was quick thinking the cobra was full weight, but damn with that much weight out your car even seems more impressive.

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Most ls1 cars are also ttop cars leather ect. I do understand some lighter hard roof fbodys but 3200?
My car is a cloth, power everything with t-top car. I can imagine a hardtop cloth car weighing less.
Lol you are exactly right about the raspy part. It's friggin rediculous at normal part throttle driving lol. I never thought about the 3" ORY being the issue actually...i'll definitely look into that as well thanks
DUDE omg, i hate it. I cannot cruise with the windows down. Part throttle is so ******* annoying, Check it out this guy actually had the same rasp issue and he went to a 4" flowmaster ORY check out the sound, its clear and clean. Basically RASP itself is always cause by some sort of restriction in the exhaust which is usually the Y in an ORY setup. Ive done a **** load of research lol. Here is the link of what it sounds like with a 4inch Flowmaster ORY.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...view-vids.html
Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 478 Likes on 375 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Here is the Cobra I was talking about. Remember it's about 200 lbs lighter than stock and has 3.73's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPV_D...6KhIRQ&index=5
You need to get rid of those 4.10's too. At that speed you should be starting in 2nd...but you can't really with the 4.10s. With 3.90 or 3.73 you could start in 2nd yielding a better gear ratio at that speed and a better hit.
lol don't do it, i have that exact same setup, with the same exact muffler. The muffler is awesome but with a TSP ORY, way to raspy, the 3 inch ORY is to small. You need atleast a 4" a 4" is around the same as having 3" true duals, 3" ORY is too small even for my bolt on setup, i can only imagine your H/C car.
I have a kooks 3"y into a 3.5" collector I made and 3.5" single exhaust. done right it flows better and drops about 25lb over my SLP dual dual that came on my car. That also allowed for the rear pan....mods begot mods
Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Heater
I think either most people are ignorant of that fact or just plain choose to ignore it.
Riggghhht
Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

I have a kooks 3"y into a 3.5" collector I made and 3.5" single exhaust. done right it flows better and drops about 25lb over my SLP dual dual that came on my car. That also allowed for the rear pan....mods begot mods
I as really dissapointed with mine, the TSP ORY is a 3.5" merge at the top and tapers down to a 3" I cut it too high so i had to reduce it to 3" anyways. Sounds like ****. im just going to go with a 4inch setup.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yep...you can drop 200# easily, so easy it happens just like you said. My SS weighed 3430 with almost a 1/2 tank of gas stock.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I as really dissapointed with mine, the TSP ORY is a 3.5" merge at the top and tapers down to a 3" I cut it too high so i had to reduce it to 3" anyways. Sounds like ****. im just going to go with a 4inch setup.
Most cat-backs and y's have that neck down. I've always got rid of it. It's the little things like that will add up on these cars. Alot of guys don't bother doin that little ****. Those are the guys that gets pissed at me when I say there **** is'nt right....lol
Old 12-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned

Most cat-backs and y's have that neck down. I've always got rid of it. It's the little things like that will add up on these cars. Alot of guys don't bother doin that little ****. Those are the guys that gets pissed at me when I say there **** is'nt right....lol
Oh believe me i know lol
Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 92Vette
The sound of two Cobras racing is one of the greatest car sounds IMO, gotta love that whine.
I was thinking the same thing, but I was thinking more exhaust tone.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

hardtop cars weigh about 90lbs less than ttop cars, by default. my 00 all opt z28 weighed 3480 while my buddy's 00 b4c weighed 3380. both cars bone stock on snowflakes, clean, and weighed same day same scale. ta weighed 3540 same scale same day. had a lid and weld in 80 series.

I did exhaust, removed front swaybar, air/egr and bumper supports. the z28 went down to 3280.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 90# might be a little high..
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

WOW....you guys like that whiny *** sound?? It gets on my nerves.

Good runs op!
Couldn't agree more....hate that sound. I love the sound of centri's and turbos, but those eatons are annoying.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Teching In

WOW....you guys like that whiny *** sound?? It gets on my nerves.

Good runs op!
Plus 1 man.I much prefer all motor.....well I like the turbo spool too.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroboiss
Plus 1 man.I much prefer all motor.....well I like the turbo spool too.
+1, All motor WOT through a cut out is the way to go... Ear plugs required
Old 12-15-2012, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow your car is def a strong runner then. I thought it was quick thinking the cobra was full weight, but damn with that much weight out your car even seems more impressive.

My car is a cloth, power everything with t-top car. I can imagine a hardtop cloth car weighing less.

DUDE omg, i hate it. I cannot cruise with the windows down. Part throttle is so ******* annoying, Check it out this guy actually had the same rasp issue and he went to a 4" flowmaster ORY check out the sound, its clear and clean. Basically RASP itself is always cause by some sort of restriction in the exhaust which is usually the Y in an ORY setup. Ive done a **** load of research lol. Here is the link of what it sounds like with a 4inch Flowmaster ORY.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...view-vids.html
Thanks man! What going to be real interesting is when I get my car tuned for nitrous and run a 125 shot, because he will be running a 75 shot too, so i'm hoping the tables will turn at that point lol

Haha yeah you definitely know what it's like to have this exhaust setup then The car in the clips sounds friggin awesome!! I definitely need to look into this! Let me ask this though: I'm also lowering the car soon (either Stranos or BMR's) and with a 4" ORY will my ground clearance be a lot worse? Because right now the lowest point on my exhaust seems to to be where my ORY sort of snakes out towards the driver side door if you know what I mean

Quick Reply: 01 Cobra vs. Viper, 03 Cobra & cam only Camaro