Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Hyundai vs Acura

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
He asked if heads would make more power. Your recommendation to make more power is to do suspension and weight savings?
before this goes to far, im not going further into this conversation with you. Its a dead end road, my apologies for engaging on your opinions unprovoked.

SSARME, unless you are going with a new casting head (PRC,Mast) I wouldnt bother even thinking about it.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what is the answer to the sti vs supra question? I think it's a trick question because the sti (04-06) with stock 7000rpm rev limit and gear set has to be in 5th gear to hit 103mph which is an extra shift than most other cars including the supra would not have to do so it hurts it's over all time and et. Roll race with an unknown MPH starting and finishing at may yield different results and make the race closer, but by how much I'm uncertain of.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by willizm
So what is the answer to the sti vs supra question? I think it's a trick question because the sti (04-06) with stock 7000rpm rev limit and gear set has to be in 5th gear to hit 103mph which is an extra shift than most other cars including the supra would not have to do so it hurts it's over all time and et. Roll race with an unknown MPH starting and finishing at may yield different results and make the race closer, but by how much I'm uncertain of.
The answer is based on how you define what is fast. It's a great question to ask when forum members are bitching about roll racing vs drag racing and how one is better than the other. It's all an opinion and people don't ever seem to grasp that.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

The answer is based on how you define what is fast. It's a great question to ask when forum members are bitching about roll racing vs drag racing and how one is better than the other. It's all an opinion and people don't ever seem to grasp that.
So what is your definition of fast then? I've always seen it as fast is what your trap is and quick is what your et is.

Which of the two cars is faster in a roll race? The STI is an odd ball for drag racing with the stock gearing and redline. The top of forth is only good to 100mph so if you are trapping 103mph or more you are going into 5th which is going to play a factor in your et and trap given the extra shift.

If it's subjective and acceptable on what the individual thinks is fast then how are you ever to be satisfied by an individuals answer?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:30 PM

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fast

I tend to use this definition!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Teching In

IMO the Supra is faster. But it clearly loses the race. So one could argue that the STI is faster. And then you have a 40 page shitfest because people don't understand that their opinions are just that, opinions.

I found it relevant because earlier in this thread people were bitching about roll races lol
Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

Muscle car tradition wasn't built around roll racing. Roll racing became popular with the rice crowd first and now its very common. Hell even I have gotten where roll racing is easier than swapping wheels etc, but my heart is w dig racing.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
True. But even with a mani upgrade, tvs plate upgrades etc he could only get 17psi out of it on his stroker
A bigger motor will make it harder to make more boost.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

And the last time out, I ran a z06 that ran 11.3x to my 11.3x. I went 121.xx he went 126.xx. I won't the race at the tree. Which car is faster?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Muscle car tradition wasn't built around roll racing. Roll racing became popular with the rice crowd first and now its very common. Hell even I have gotten where roll racing is easier than swapping wheels etc, but my heart is w dig racing.
roll racing became popular for those that dont spend $ on suspension/tire setups but still want to win races, or those with just absurd power!

I actually like both even though im setup for a dig.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rhino79
I completely agree on liking dig racing more than roll racing. I wouldn't go blaming the rice crowd completely though. It's a combination of many variables. It used to be that if you made 300whp you were pretty damn fast, then that moved to 400whp, then 500whp, and so on. Now adays if you don't have 500+whp then you are the minority. More power on shitty streets means far more spinning too. Now you can prep streets, but the threat of getting busted with more severe consequences plays a huge part in why it's easier to just line them up from a roll, honk it off, and get the hell out of there. Also as you mentioned it's easier to do roll racing. Alot of us guys are older, have families and work obligations. Don't have time to prep the **** out of a car, find a stretch of road, prep the road, get some runs in all while avoiding detection. I take it to the track, it's just easier to plan for than staying out to 4 in the morning to get some runs in.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:06 PM
9 Second Club

Oh yeah I agree. 14s used ro be fast. And it has gotten faster and faster. But the drag radials have evolved too. By far the best place to dig is the track but you see me turn down a dig or roll on the street.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camper
roll racing became popular for those that dont spend $ on suspension/tire setups but still want to win races, or those with just absurd power!

I actually like both even though im setup for a dig.
I believe 2ss has full suspension
Old 12-26-2012, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
I completely agree on liking dig racing more than roll racing. I wouldn't go blaming the rice crowd completely though. It's a combination of many variables. It used to be that if you made 300whp you were pretty damn fast, then that moved to 400whp, then 500whp, and so on. Now adays if you don't have 500+whp then you are the minority. More power on shitty streets means far more spinning too. Now you can prep streets, but the threat of getting busted with more severe consequences plays a huge part in why it's easier to just line them up from a roll, honk it off, and get the hell out of there. Also as you mentioned it's easier to do roll racing. Alot of us guys are older, have families and work obligations. Don't have time to prep the **** out of a car, find a stretch of road, prep the road, get some runs in all while avoiding detection. I take it to the track, it's just easier to plan for than staying out to 4 in the morning to get some runs in.

This^

Many races are impromptu.
Hell, i have a few guys in town but its not like we can drag the hugger out and go galevant town. So many races are random encounters.

I lobe dig and hugger is set up for it.....but many races jst happen.

Then there is the cobalt.
Sure i will do a dig for laughs but if u wana see what power the lil DD puts out, we need to roll. Doesnt make me one of thise guys set up wrong,, ifs jst my fun DD and its fun as hell to freught train around people 2nd-4th
Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Camper
fine... stop making recommendations on a platform you clearly dont have an educated knowledge about.

I would throw in my .02 if ssarme posted what he already has complete. All I see is a bunch of sarcasm in his signature.

but i'd recommend suspension/drivetrain/unsprung weight before adding more power. Those are far weaker points than the factory ls3 heads.
lol...

Here's my real mod list... Enjoy it because it's the only time you will see it:

TVS2300
ZL1 Fuel pump
ZR1 spark plugs
ZR1 map sensor
Dynamic injectors 1025cc / 96lbs hr
3.6" pulley right now (have a 3.2" and 8 rib conversion going in on Monday/tuesday)
Digital boost and wideband gauges
Snow stage 2 water meth
JRE Super Tensioner
Cold Air Inductions TVS specific CAI
Full kooks exhaust from headers to tips, with home made off road pipes
LS3 Conversion
JRE cam 223/239 114lsa
Welds RT-S with Skinnys and Slicks
21" OEM black on black with pirelli streets
JRE differential..posi mod..energy suspension.
Sway bar
Subframe connector
Driveshaft tunnel brace
Bushing Front Suspension
Bushing Kit
End link kit sway bar
End link mounting brace
Driveshaft safety loop
Axle 4340 Chrome
Lower control arm adjustable
Toe Rod Adjustable
Trailing arm rear
Rear cradle bushing kit
Bushing rear trailing arm
Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

IMO the Supra is faster. But it clearly loses the race. So one could argue that the STI is faster. And then you have a 40 page shitfest because people don't understand that their opinions are just that, opinions.

I found it relevant because earlier in this thread people were bitching about roll races lol
Supra is quicker and faster, it just lacks traction and/or driver mod.

Spinning ain't winning, but trapping 10mph over someone else clearly shows you're faster but you just require either some practice or some suspension.

Then again I suffered from this before I upgraded suspension. My one track pass before it got shut down on street tires, 5psi, detuned, no meth stock suspension, shitty 3rd world asphalt track was like a 13.2@125-126 lol.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Teching In

Back on topic. The 6-speed TL's in general are a good bit quicker than the Auto's. 4th and 5th gear on the Auto's are overdrive gears. They try to go from 110-150 in 4th gear like a Corvette would without the corvette power. There is a gap in gearing between 110-130 on the auto's, hence why you probably came back. A 6-speed, even NON-Type S would have smoked your Sonata. Also, 0-110 with an auto (base or type S) you probably would lose as well.

Nice runs though and good luck with your new ride.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Launching!

2ss, lift specs on that cam? maybe a slightly different grind may help ya out too in the power department...but i'm sure JRE did their homework and didn't just give you an "off the shelf" blower cam
Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 8ty8 LS1
2ss, lift specs on that cam? maybe a slightly different grind may help ya out too in the power department...but i'm sure JRE did their homework and didn't just give you an "off the shelf" blower cam
.610 / .623

It's a specific grind comp cam
Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
.610 / .623

It's a specific grind comp cam
ok that's what i was getting at. lol nice lift numbers

Quick Reply: Hyundai vs Acura