Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Yamaha R6 Crotch Rocket vs. Modded C6 Z51 6-speed Vette Vert'

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha R6 Crotch Rocket vs. Modded C6 Z51 6-speed Vette Vert'

Got out of work a little early and I was cruising along, when I see this white on red crotch rocket zipping through traffic behind me. He comes up on me and the highway was starting to open up. For the 1st time I can remember, I instigated a run. I began to follow him onto an entrance ramp to another highway that was wide open. He was riding pretty free spirited, looking around in a cocky way as he ripped around other cars. So I'm behind him at 80 mph, and then suddenly see him dip down close to his gas tank in race mode. He guns it, and I immediately shift down from 4th to 3rd and gun it too. We are even in 3rd, shift to 4th and continue close but I'm starting to gain on him. At 120 mph, I switch lanes to pass him. He is still ducked down full throttle, and I start passing him at 125-130 mph. Before I knew it, Im a few car lengths on him and I hit the rev limiter in 4th at 150mph. I shifted to 5th and let off at 160mph. I slow down immediately as we start approaching some cars. He stays behind me for a bit but I wanted him to pull alongside so I could see what type of bike he had. Sure enough, he comes up on my left side looking closely at my car. He nods his head like 3 or 4 times as he looks at me. I give him a thumbs up as Im checking to see the branding on the bike. It had "R6" written on the side in Red. Very impressed with how my Vette pulls now with the headers/x-pipe/tune/and light-weight wheels. Its a monster on the top end (with the convertible top UP of course). Certainly one of my proudest kills to date. Thanks for reading guys.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In before "He couldn't ride, was in the wrong gear, no way you won if he was racing blah blah blah"

Good kill! Sounds like you have a strong running C6. LS2 or LS3? Any pics of it?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice kill .

Silly for the rider to instigate an 80mph roll against a C6 on a 600!! ~45 Would have been much better for him - then he could let off before you passed him and claimed the W .
Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Launching!

yep at 80 he made a bad choice. good kill
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could been an older r6...headers tune. Your c6 should be 380ish if it's an ls2. What size headers are you running and you should do a varram. I had a k/n Set up and noticed a huge difference switching to the varram.. I was h/c with all supporting bolts on. Just don't get cocky and go try to run bikes.. Its useally about the rider but with the newer bikes it useally takes a 600ish rwhp car to beat a 600
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imstock2
Could been an older r6...headers tune. Your c6 should be 380ish if it's an ls2. What size headers are you running and you should do a varram. I had a k/n Set up and noticed a huge difference switching to the varram.. I was h/c with all supporting bolts on. Just don't get cocky and go try to run bikes.. Its useally about the rider but with the newer bikes it useally takes a 600ish rwhp car to beat a 600
This. Good kill though OP.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Good kill man. I ran a 636 when I had my trans am and got him. He sold it and got a R1 and we had a brief run when I first put the blower on this car but not a full run. I'm sure he will get me until I turn the boost up a little
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From an 80mph roll you won't need nearly 600rwhp to beat a 600, its a terrible spot for them and they will start to run out of steam not long after starting. When my car was still just a H/C stock cube build I pulled a cbr600 from an ~85 roll (rofl, was just cruising home late night from a trip and not trying to race) and it was only a 117 mph trap car in good air. From a slow roll I would have been murdered by the same bike, but its his fault for instigating the race from such a high start lol.

On my bolt-on/geared zx6 I liked keeping it under 50mph, so I can start in first gear at a decent RPM and get the jump on most cars. Then made sure to cut it off around 125 before they pass me on the top end . Keep in mind 600s don't really make much of anything under 10k, and are done by ~15-16k, so it's a narrow power band and a lot more rider dependent then a bigger bike that actually has torque.

Again though, good kill and perfectly believable...unlike the slow 12 second turds that claim to pull literbikes from 40mph rolls .
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Puck
From an 80mph roll you won't need nearly 600rwhp to beat a 600, its a terrible spot for them and they will start to run out of steam not long after starting. When my car was still just a H/C stock cube build I pulled a cbr600 from an ~85 roll (rofl, was just cruising home late night from a trip and not trying to race) and it was only a 117 mph trap car in good air. From a slow roll I would have been murdered by the same bike, but its his fault for instigating the race from such a high start lol.

On my bolt-on/geared zx6 I liked keeping it under 50mph, so I can start in first gear at a decent RPM and get the jump on most cars. Then made sure to cut it off around 125 before they pass me on the top end . Keep in mind 600s don't really make much of anything under 10k, and are done by ~15-16k, so it's a narrow power band and a lot more rider dependent then a bigger bike that actually has torque.

Again though, good kill and perfectly believable...unlike the slow 12 second turds that claim to pull literbikes from 40mph rolls .
Thanks man. The story is 100% the truth. So funny, I took my GoPro Hero3 Black I just got out of the suction cup mounted on my windshield to charge it this AM. Crazy how things work out. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and something I wont forget! I won't let it get to my head though.....

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
In before "He couldn't ride, was in the wrong gear, no way you won if he was racing blah blah blah"

Good kill! Sounds like you have a strong running C6. LS2 or LS3? Any pics of it?
Thanks. I appreciate it. It's an LS2 Z51 6-speed. It's not the fastest thing around, but I've enjoyed modding it over the past 4 yrs or so. It recently put down a bit over 400 whp and almost that in torque at the corvette specialty shop. The tuner even said I have a strong C6. That felt pretty good to hear. But to be honest, I think im done wasting money on it. I might do a small cam, but I'm looking to pick up some more cars in the next 6 months. Anyway, this is how she looks:

How she sounds: Love hearing this sound too much with the top down to get rid of the thing. Instantaneous stress relief.....

Last edited by callmedoc; 01-12-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

What Puck said...good kill OP!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
What Puck said...good kill OP!
Thanks. I agree, the guy on the R6 was a little cocky thinking he could overtake my bolt-on C6 6-speed in the triple digits on a 600cc bike. It made for some good memories though, and I thank him.

Quick Reply: Yamaha R6 Crotch Rocket vs. Modded C6 Z51 6-speed Vette Vert'