Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Dont race modded bikes! I repeat DONT RACE MODDED BIKES! (my dyno #: 483rwhp 588rwtq)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James1
Here is a video of a 600rwhp Trans Am versus an R1:

http://www.public.asu.edu/~nicolasd/.../brycetroy.wmv
HOLYSHIT!! I know that stretch of road. Thats Pecos Rd. in Phx. Been there many times
Old 04-25-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

If I'm not mistaken, that is an old FZ1000, before the R1s.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Blah blah blah bikes are better stock blah blah blah
Old 04-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
600rwhp? NO WAY. Just listen to how long it takes the TA to shift! Seriously! Play the vid again and listen carefully.

James1, not trying to start crap here but you gotta be mistaken man..
If not please let us know more about this race.. Was the R1 HIGHLY modded? I am interested to know more about this..

Very confused now. Im not even making 500rwhp and I was a couple of car lengths behind a CAMMED GSXR 1000 . 1 Thing for sure is that a GSXR 1000 kills an R1 anyday which makes everything much more confusing.

what the hell is going on here?

Is the TA owner on board? Would like to talk to him about that race.. his car didnt sound like a 600rwhp car.

Not trying to bash but I would of prolly thought this TA was stock if I knew nothing about this vid...It didnt even sound like it has headers on there.

The T/A ran a 10.70 in the 1/4mile. Btw, most guys don't mess with the motors on their bikes. The guy probably changed is running way rich or lean from messing with the motor. Sax has a GSXR 1000 with a different sprocket and a slip on and he raced a Trans Am that was cammed with nitrous. There were many witnesses who all claim that the Tram Am lost by about ~100 -200 yards. A properly ridden liter bike will destroy your car, hands down!
Old 04-26-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A properly ridden liter bike will destroy your car, hands down!

You mean where he hits it while an old, heavy 1997 Yamaha YZF ThunderRace is doing a wheelie? C'mon...half of that "race", the bike was stunting (doing a wheelie). You guys are too funny. If he raced that GSXR 1000 he would have gotten OWNED!
chill fool, i was defending bikes the past few pages.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

the long explanation about how drag slows bikes at higher speed is just ignored becuase most people here are trying to convert the 9sec 140mph time slips into street performance figure.. and ur not doing it right...

a stock bike does 0-100 mph in almost 5 seconds in an 1/8 and the same bike end the quarter with a 135 at 10 seconds flat.. what does this mean? 5 seconds from 100-135... 5 seconds from 100-135 is not very impressive guys.. a bike is quick from a dig becuase it will jump you by a 5 or 6 car differnece by the time the car hits 80mph(and would be at 110-120) and pulling hard.. thats why from a dig ur dead with a bike i dont care how much power ur making! now take away the 6 car advantage and differnece in mph by the end of the 1/8 and you will find that the car is faster on the top end...

ANOTHER EXAMPLE
most bikes run sub 6 1/8 times.. and 9sec ETs
most cars that run sub 6 1/8 times are 8 sec cars
Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002Z06yellow
the long explanation about how drag slows bikes at higher speed is just ignored becuase most people here are trying to convert the 9sec 140mph time slips into street performance figure.. and ur not doing it right...

a stock bike does 0-100 mph in almost 5 seconds in an 1/8 and the same bike end the quarter with a 135 at 10 seconds flat.. what does this mean? 5 seconds from 100-135... 5 seconds from 100-135 is not very impressive guys.. a bike is quick from a dig becuase it will jump you by a 5 or 6 car differnece by the time the car hits 80mph(and would be at 110-120) and pulling hard.. thats why from a dig ur dead with a bike i dont care how much power ur making! now take away the 6 car advantage and differnece in mph by the end of the 1/8 and you will find that the car is faster on the top end...

ANOTHER EXAMPLE
most bikes run sub 6 1/8 times.. and 9sec ETs
most cars that run sub 6 1/8 times are 8 sec cars
Everyone understands what you are saying...but you are flat out overrating the bike's initial launch! Just FYI, the GSXR 1000 will do 0-60 in about 3.3-3.5 seconds. Guess what...it does 60-120 in just about 3.3-3.5 seconds. Guess what else...I have seen a GSXR 1000 do a 0-167MPH run in just over 11 seconds. One more thing, it traps 145mph in the 1/4 mile, not 135. My GSXR 750 traps 138mph. LOL
Old 04-26-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

sometimes you just shouldnt open your mouth.....
Old 04-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Restricted User

Our bike goes 0 - 185mph in 7.83 seconds...

Some people are trying to explain coefficient of drag ( the ratio of the drag on a body moving through air to the product of the velocity and the surface area of the body)and you're going about it all wrong...at least that's what I'm getting from reading it.

The drag coefficient Cd is equal to the drag D divided by the quantity: density r times half the velocity V squared times the reference area A (wing area, frontal area, surface area).

Cd = D / (A * .5 * r * V^2)

A car has WAY more frontal area than a bike. It takes more HP for a car to maintain 60 mph versus a bike due to the car weighing more, having more frontal area.

A prime example is airplanes, it takes a larger plane MORE power to maintain
cruise velocity vs. a smaller plane. Anyone remember the test piloting Chuck Yeager has done? They weren't in a 747...they were small, slippery Cd (coefficient of drag) styled airplanes.

A bike has a great Cd, I can remember riding home from the track and it would start to rain. I would tuck down and not even get wet - believe it!

...great conversation/topic so far!
Old 04-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000TransAm24
I never have understood why people wanna race bikes, they're so damn fast. If I had a bike wanna race me I'd tell him to get lost and go race another bike. A bike and a car racing just doesn't seem right to me, we just don't compare.
I agree with you 100%, it's like taking a top fuel against a bike or having a pull contest with a 4x4 and a car, all these vehicles have there special uses, not one vehicle is made for everthing, if a guy on a bike ask me to race that would be as stupid as me saying well let me go home and get my chevy 4x4 truck and hook up to the back of your bike and we will have a pull contest, how stupid would that be!
Old 04-26-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by White2000Z28
I agree with you 100%, it's like taking a top fuel against a bike or having a pull contest with a 4x4 and a car, all these vehicles have there special uses, not one vehicle is made for everthing, if a guy on a bike ask me to race that would be as stupid as me saying well let me go home and get my chevy 4x4 truck and hook up to the back of your bike and we will have a pull contest, how stupid would that be!

The reason why guys race bikes is for the thrill to beat a HIGHLY competitive Vehicle. We know how hard it is to defeat the bike, and there are so many things that go into the race of the two. The driver HAS to be good to get the best times and riging out of it, as well as mods on it, or the bike period. For years the GSXR 1000 was better then the R1 but this year, the new 04 is KILLER!

Cliffnotes - we race bikes because maybe if your car is a quicker street car, you might want more comp, or just a friendly race. No harm done right?!?!

Gray
Old 04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
I walked a GSXR 1000 with my Z06, but she aint quite stock. The bike owner told me it had 160rwhp, I really do not know if that is alot for this bike or not? Needless to say he was a bit suprised.
Just thought i'd skip some pages and reply to this....

Just for you guys to know, 160rwhp on a bike that weighs roughly 450-650lbs (estimate for most bikes) is quite a bit. If you do a power to weight ratio and compare them to cars, you'll see the difference.

Honestly, i'd love to race a couple of cars. Some people fail to realize it's not just a bike you're racing. If you have a capable car...something with some serious rwhp, you're meeting your match. It all comes down to power/weight.

There are beginning to be quite a few people out there hittin 500rwhp with not too many problems. How many you can encounter on a day off and cruisin for races....who knows. Why not take a crack at bikes?

I myself own a 2000 CBR 929RR. Granted it's no Gixxer 1k, or an R1, but still a bigger than your 600 type bike. My best pass (1st time ever at a track on a bike) was a 10.90/130mph. There are PLENTY of cars that can run those times. I've since then had some more experience and I am confident, based on other's comments who ride the same bike, 10.50's or lower around 137 or so with the mods I have, are capable.

I just feel I have to defend some bikers when I hear some car owners saying "oh jesus, it's a bike....what the hell is he thinking?" When in fact, i'd love to hear, "sure buddy...lets make a run..." and after the race is over either:
"Damn, you have a fast bike, congrats <shake hands>"
or
"Holy Christ of almighty, your car is insane <shake hands>"

Roughly what I am tryin to say is, bike aren't all that much different when it comes to roll races or stop races. Just cheaper, lighter, and less safe.

Last edited by 929; 04-27-2004 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

thats why from a dig ur dead with a bike i dont care how much power ur making!
Really? I bet there are more street driven 9 sec cars around than 9 second bikes.

Or if that's not good enough, I'm sure there are more 8 sec street driven cars around than bikes.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Restricted User

I agree with 929...it's all a matter of preference. Have fun and don't get hurt.

Care to wager on how many 9 second bikes there are? Think of this: the Suzuki Hayabusa is a high 9 second bike (roughly 9.8@136)from the factory, any guess on production numbers? The '95 and up GSXR1100 is a low 10, high 9 bike from factory with a pipe, race gas and timing advance...oh and the right driver. Again, production numbers?

I can't even begin to recall the number of street driven bikes at Rockingham Dragway that are into the 8's with turbo, nitrous, big bore kits. I go to Atco, Lebanon Valley, Englishtown, Rockingham and I don't see ANY 8 second street cars.

Well, okay I lied, my good friend Jack Cotton has an 8 second "pumpkin" Turbo Buick that he runs up and down the street a few times. Oh, and Bill Anderson has another single turbo "race car" that runs high 7's and he drives it around the parking lot.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:08 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Our bike goes 0 - 185mph in 7.83 seconds...

Some people are trying to explain coefficient of drag ( the ratio of the drag on a body moving through air to the product of the velocity and the surface area of the body)and you're going about it all wrong...at least that's what I'm getting from reading it.

The drag coefficient Cd is equal to the drag D divided by the quantity: density r times half the velocity V squared times the reference area A (wing area, frontal area, surface area).

Cd = D / (A * .5 * r * V^2)

A car has WAY more frontal area than a bike. It takes more HP for a car to maintain 60 mph versus a bike due to the car weighing more, having more frontal area.

A prime example is airplanes, it takes a larger plane MORE power to maintain
cruise velocity vs. a smaller plane. Anyone remember the test piloting Chuck Yeager has done? They weren't in a 747...they were small, slippery Cd (coefficient of drag) styled airplanes.

A bike has a great Cd, I can remember riding home from the track and it would start to rain. I would tuck down and not even get wet - believe it!

...great conversation/topic so far!
Is that all you got? j/k
Old 04-26-2004, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

there is a turbo busa in town here 6 inch extended swing arm suspension air shifted and runs 8.8 8.9 at 160+ (it didnt look like it was all it had) and the night i saw him run it was windy as **** and he rides it all the time i see him on the street 2 or more times a week
Old 04-26-2004, 01:12 PM
7 Second Club

Received 321 Likes on 216 Posts

600rwhp? NO WAY. Just listen to how long it takes the TA to shift! Seriously! Play the vid again and listen carefully..
No, it was not 600 rwhp on that run, he was only spraying a 100 shot on that race so it was closer to 500 rwhp. I should know, I was filming and that was my roommate.

James1, not trying to start crap here but you gotta be mistaken man..
If not please let us know more about this race.. Was the R1 HIGHLY modded? I am interested to know more about this....
No, not highly modded. The R1 is pretty typical and could run right with any of the new 04 liter bikes.

Very confused now. Im not even making 500rwhp and I was a couple of car lengths behind a CAMMED GSXR 1000 . ....
Then the guy obviously couldn't ride.

Is the TA owner on board? Would like to talk to him about that race.. his car didnt sound like a 600rwhp car.
Not trying to bash but I would of prolly thought this TA was stock if I knew nothing about this vid...It didnt even sound like it has headers on there.
Here are some of his other videos. I pretty much do all the work to it and tune it and it sits in the same garage right next to my camaro. And it put down around 560 rwhp.
http://www.public.asu.edu/~nicolasd/...ycevssteve.wmv
He even let off on the launch on this run. He is spraying a 150 at the track.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:13 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Extinct SS
HOLYSHIT!! I know that stretch of road. Thats Pecos Rd. in Phx. Been there many times
Shhhh!
Old 04-26-2004, 01:15 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by enisguy
Somebody should post up Harlan's vid...
Sorry, that bike is nothing like a newer liter bike.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:16 PM
7 Second Club

Good bikes vs cars page. I can vouch for every one of these videos as I am filming most of them and know the cars and bikes.
http://www.azmustangs.com/videos/bikesvscars.html

Last edited by Nic00Z28M6; 04-26-2004 at 01:23 PM.