Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Bolt on and cammed LS1 vs Turboed VW GTI

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolt on and cammed LS1 vs Turboed VW GTI

I was on my way home from work one night a couple weeks ago, when all of a sudden I heard a turbo spoiling up. I look over into the lane next to me, and I see a silver VW GTI right before it does a little fly by. There was a car in front of the GTI so he didn't do much of a fly by. After I got done laughing, I down shifted into second and goosed it a little bit, to let him know that I wouldn't mind showing him what my tail lights looked like.. At that point, the GTI got behind me and stayed there until traffic cleared.

Once traffic cleared, things worked out quite well. We got to line up at a stoplight which was located in the perfect place for racing. The stoplight leads down a 1 mile long straight away. Their is also nowhere for cars to turn onto the road. Anyway, while we were at the stoplight, the GTI reved his little engine a few times. I didn't want to scare him, so I kept my SLP long tube headers, , SLP LOUDmouth, and TR 220 cam quiet. When the light turned green, I dumped the clutch at about 2100 RPM, and gave it 1/2 throttle until I caught traction. I quickly put a car length on him by the middle of first gear. After that, I pulled on him quite hard. By the time I shut down at 90 mph, I was more then 12 car lengths ahead of him. At the next stoplight, the guy in the GTI said "holy crap that things fast, what do you have done to it"? I told him I had intake and exhaust bolt ons, and a little cam. To which he replyed "Thats a nice car man". Before I had a chance to ask him what he had done, the light turned green and he made a U turn and went back the other way. I was quite impressed with how nice he was, espcially for his age. He looked like he was a little younger then me, maybe 18 or 19. Plus he didn't do a fly by either.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:36 PM
STF Veteran

*waits for incomming comments by kevin*
Old 04-19-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

those little GTI hatchback thingies are pretty fast, my friend has one that I only beat by about 8 carlengths
Old 04-19-2004, 07:48 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my good buddies has a GTI hatch ... the regular 4 cyl tho, not the V6 .... What I find odd is that I have been in the car with him when we raced a 6 cylinder one, and he actually beat it by a half car or so. Odd the "performance model" is slower then the regular one???

Btw, what type of numbers did you put down with that cam? When I had it (TSP version, same basic idea tho), stock LS1 intake, lid MAC midlengths and my magnaflow catback I only put down around 350 to the wheels .... was wondering what gains having the longtubes and loudmouth provided.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:02 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK from now on I'm listing all my mods when telling a story. (j/k)

Nice kill. There's a poor kid in a Turbo Gti that I torment on the way to work whenever I run into him. Kid won't play anymore. Just waves hello... he learned the hard way.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

haha yeah man, show them the way!! Good kill! Its really nice to see people actually being nice when they lose. I dont like it when ricers get all pissed n just run off
Old 04-19-2004, 09:11 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
*waits for incomming comments by kevin*
I bet it starts like this....

Originally Posted by Southie
Nice kill. There's a poor kid in a Turbo Gti that I torment on the way to work whenever I run into him. Kid won't play anymore. Just waves hello... he learned the hard way.

Nice kill
Old 04-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Good Kill!
Old 04-19-2004, 10:18 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

nice kill
Old 04-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

nice kill...
Old 04-20-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice kill...but the GTI 1.8t only runs about a 15.7 stock.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:16 PM
STF Veteran

Damn Kevin! You are slipping. Not only do you get a chance to ***** but you get to talk about VW's. I guess you really are the slowest member of STF!!!!

:edit: Sorry, I almost forgot. Good kill!
Old 04-20-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Ahhh... ****... can't believe I missed this... sorry guys.

Ok, so I can't do the little thing, becuase stupid Phoenix beat me to it. See... VW guys are different(in general) than your typical jap car driving ricers... Nice kill

The 1.8T and VR6 are the only engines available currently for the GTI right now. Phantom, what year is your friend's car? Because if he has a 2002+ 1.8T, he has 180HP... the older ones had 150... I forget what year, but it was around 2002(I think) when they bumped up the VR6... the older ones had 174HP... so, if your friend has a really new model 1.8T, and beat a slightly older model VR6, that is understandable, as he has more power, and less weight(not counting passengers, etc)

Again, I am sorry. I have been really busy lately, with this big community wide competition that my school is having...