Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock ZL1 vs Bolt on 5.0 (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Nope, not in a rush to either. Being that its completely stock as a rock (will probably stay that way for a while too) I'm in no rush really. Its a high 10 to mid 11sec car @ between 128-133mph "depending" the way it sits. Now when the modding starts that's a different story.

I've butt fucked a few Poopstangs on the highway with it tho
So you honestly think your car will trap no less than 128? As it sits?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camper
sweet details to back up your claim that mopar isnt trash
Our very own NiteRider running away from the turd. In a sedan that weighs 400lbs more to boot.

Also. Whats the best most bad ***(street legal) 5th gen GM offers right now. The ZL1. A car that costs MORE than a 392. Weighs about the same. Make 110 MORE hp BUT runs about the same times AND mph (which is pathetic).

What about most bad *** car period? ZR1? Well Mopar also has something for that as well.

So to say Mopar is the king of turds is ignorance at its finest.

Cant wait to see what you & Hio will be saying when the Cuda is released and *** raping the best camaro gm has to offer.

5th gens are turds period. There are always exceptions and from the sounds of it your car is one of them. Dont think for a second tho that your car is a representation of all 5th gens itself. It isnt.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotHemi?
So you honestly think your car will trap no less than 128? As it sits?
Why not?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Why not?
Cause ive seen plenty of stock ZR1's trap less than 128 and no where near 133...

Like these...

I know theyre CAPABLE of 128mph traps but to say it will without doubt trap no less, especially on your first trip to the track with the car is a bit of a stretch imo. Good luck tho hitting your expectations.

Last edited by GotHemi?; 03-06-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Cause ive seen plenty of stock ZR1's trap less than 128 and no where near 133...
And I've seen several trap right in that range including a couple local guys on this board. Your point?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Our very own NiteRider running away from the turd. In a sedan that weighs 400lbs more to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWvs0yiWczo

Also. Whats the best most bad ***(street legal) 5th gen GM offers right now. The ZL1. A car that costs MORE than a 392. Weighs about the same. Make 110 MORE hp BUT runs about the same times AND mph (which is pathetic).

What about most bad *** car period? ZR1? Well Mopar also has something for that as well.

Cant wait to see what you & Hio will be saying when the Cuda is released and *** raping the best camaro gm has to offer.

5th gens are turds period. There are always exceptions and from the sounds of it your car is one of them. Dont think for a second tho that your car is a representation of all 5th gens itself. It isnt.
You have little room to talk sir. $45k car + full boltons + 125 shot = mid 11s.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

I wont comment on the ZL1 and 392 or the comments regarding my car because you are correct.

and for whatever reason, I completely spaced the Viper platform. So at this time, I would like to retract my head from my ***. Thanks

my biggest gripe with mopar is the locked ECU's. its a complete BS move by mopar.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

The ZL1 is the fatser car. A little extra in TX for the ZL1. SRT8 will run you 47-52K at most dealers in TX. You can snag a ZL1 for 55-68 depnding what options get. Hell Her ein GA they wanted 49k for a SRT8 Chally and 59k for a optioned ZL1. 63K for a convertible.

The ZL1 hands better, and has ran into the high 11's bone stock. No Chally has done that stock. Don't kid your self. The SRT8 and the 5.0 are a great drivers race. I have seen the SRT8 chally claim 12.2 stock but then heard it had DR's. And the 5.0 has went 12.2 for manual and 12.3 for auto bone stock. And recently 12.07 with just DR's.

And they compared the ZR1 and the new Viper. It wasn't great for the viper.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it is a piece of ****.

and why would that be pure comedy?

im sorry that I believe a $60k car should have an easier time cracking sub 12's and not suffer from major heat soak
I agree Camper. You can add some bolt ons to an 5th GEN SS and most likely keep up or beat the ZL1. Or add a procharger...turbo to the SS and totally *** rape the ZL1 for $20K less. Just saying, but I'm not too impressed with these ZL1's either. Especially after how much the owners spend on 'em.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

When are you guys gonna get over that the zl1 is more than a straight line car?? It's a very well rounded bottem 12sec car that will out handle 99% of cars and ANYTHING ford has ever made. Not to mention goes into the 10's with just bolt-ons. pretty damn impressive if you ask me.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wont comment on the ZL1 and 392 or the comments regarding my car because you are correct.

and for whatever reason, I completely spaced the Viper platform. So at this time, I would like to retract my head from my ***. Thanks

my biggest gripe with mopar is the locked ECU's. its a complete BS move by mopar.
Why would I need to go into detail? You pretty much said it yourself.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
When are you guys gonna get over that the zl1 is more than a straight line car?? It's a very well rounded bottem 12sec car that will out handle 99% of cars and ANYTHING ford has ever made. Not to mention goes into the 10's with just bolt-ons. pretty damn impressive if you ask me.
Word...with the exception of the Ford GT. But thats not on the same playing field....and I wouldn't be surprised if the ZL1 out handled that too haha.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Not when its competition fgoes 9's with bolt ons. Its also funny when people talk about the ZL1 getting *** handed to it you say well it can handle. No one gives a **** if these cars can handle. People want it to edrag race,
Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71
Word...with the exception of the Ford GT. But thats not on the same playing field....and I wouldn't be surprised if the ZL1 out handled that too haha.
Actually the ZL1 out performed the ford GT by over 7 seconds at VIR.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

When are you going to get over the fact that the majority of the people in the street racing and kills section don't give a rats *** that the car can turn? This section is used to post kill stories which 99% of time involves a STRAIGHT line race and we are currently discussing the poor performance of a ZL1 that ran at an eighth mile track. The only turn they have to worry about is at the end of the shutdown lanes. I guess it's cool that the ZL1 can make the turn at 30 mph instead of 25.

And after a ZL1 loses a street race it can flip a u turn faster than the other car? That's great! WGAF?

If you want to jack off to the ZL1's ability to turn fast, maybe you can try posting it here... https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-racing-35/Maybe someone there will give a ****.

ZL1's are not impressive drag racing cars for how much horsepower they have stock. /end of story
Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Actually the ZL1 out performed the ford GT by over 7 seconds at VIR.
Yep, not surprised by that.

people don't get it that the ZL1 wasn't designed to be a drag racer. I think it was a dumb move by GM to think people would grasp that. Magazines and fanboys just look at 1/4 mile times.

I totally get why people would scoff at that considering the forum I'm posting in....

But if any of these people actually had any automotive engineering experience it would make perfect sense.

Last edited by loudblack97z71; 03-06-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Forgot what forum I was in...lol
Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

we are still comparing ZL1s to GT500s? There different cars better at different things. That simple... end of story... case closed... move on. The great thing about cars... is you have a CHOICE in whatever you want to buy.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Not when its competition fgoes 9's with bolt ons. Its also funny when people talk about the ZL1 getting *** handed to it you say well it can handle. No one gives a **** if these cars can handle. People want it to edrag race,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxEUA0W7nQ
I give a **** that these cars handle. I like a solid handleing car. We know you don't....maybe you don't have enough talent for a good handling car....that's probably why you went auto.
Originally Posted by Jay z28
When are you going to get over the fact that the majority of the people in the street racing and kills section don't give a rats *** that the car can turn? This section is used to post kill stories which 99% of time involves a STRAIGHT line race and we are currently discussing the poor performance of a ZL1 that ran at an eighth mile track. The only turn they have to worry about is at the end of the shutdown lanes. I guess it's cool that the ZL1 can make the turn at 30 mph instead of 25.

And after a ZL1 loses a street race it can flip a u turn faster than the other car? That's great! WGAF?

If you want to jack off to the ZL1's ability to turn fast, maybe you can try posting it here... https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-racing-35/Maybe someone there will give a ****.

ZL1's are not impressive drag racing cars for how much horsepower they have stock. /end of story
They were never meant to be drag racing cars....get over that. Before the 13 Gt500 they handed all previous gt500's their ***.
Originally Posted by loudblack97z71
Yep, not surprised by that.

people don't get it that the ZL1 wasn't designed to be a drag racer. I think it was a dumb move by GM to think people would grasp that. Magazines and fanboys just look at 1/4 mile times.

I totally get why people would scoff at that considering the forum I'm posting in....

But if any of these people actually had any automotive engineering experience it would make perfect sense.
Very true. It's pretty easy to get a car down the 1/4.
Originally Posted by evangto87
we are still comparing ZL1s to GT500s? There different cars better at different things. That simple... end of story... case closed... move on. The great thing about cars... is you have a CHOICE in whatever you want to buy.
I agree. But when mods start the Zl1 really starts to show it's superiority. Can you imagine a 400+ci ZL1 with a bigger blower and just a little weight reduction?? My god what a monster that thing would be....power with control!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I give a **** that these cars handle. I like a solid handleing car.

They were never meant to be drag racing cars....get over that. Before the 13 Gt500 they handed all previous gt500's their ***.

Very true. It's pretty easy to get a car down the 1/4.

I agree. But when mods start the Zl1 really starts to show it's superiority. Can you imagine a 400+ci ZL1 with a bigger blower and just a little weight reduction?? My god what a monster that thing would be....power with control!!!
While i agree that would be a monster... you can argue the same point that the GT500 can stroke it, port heads, cam..etc. And when you get there... youre no longer arguing which car is faster, your arguing who has more money and intellect. What the provided cars from the factory can do goes right out the window.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by evangto87
While i agree that would be a monster... you can argue the same point that the GT500 can stroke it, port heads, cam..etc. And when you get there... youre no longer arguing which car is faster, your arguing who has more money and intellect. What the provided cars from the factory can do goes right out the window.
The GT500 would not keep up in a all out street car build like that, me assuming a street car build is just that. A super unleaded street car build like 99+% of us run. The factory stuff does not really go out the window at all. The chassis is much better on the ZL and far more capable of handleing the extra power....from watching these cars in vids it is asking for more power as where the gt500 is already taxed by it's power.

Quick Reply: Stock ZL1 vs Bolt on 5.0 (Video)