Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Short Kill story + Qusetion

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Kill story + Qusetion

Hi guys I'm new here, just have had my about two months a 1998 Camaro Z28 A4, so I'm just really getting use to and enjoying it. My car is 100% stock, even stock muffler, but I'm starting on bolt-ons now and work to H/C/I. But for some reason everybody wants to run against my car, the other day my friend talked me into running a 1/4th mile against his 96 impala ss, with cold air intake, 3.73 gears, and lts. He was convinced if i gave him two cars he would beat me. I gave him the two car and was able to easily catch him and beat him bye 5+ cars, so we dis it again he got 3 cars and the go, similar result. So he was convinced mine was not stock, he then called his friend to bring his stock 99 z28 and we did a run head up and I won by about two cars, but he had a bad start. And yesterday he calls and want me to run against a stock 2007 Chrysler 300 c. I'm just wondering what kind of chance would I stand against a 300C? And also I'm going to the track soon and I'm trying to find the best way to launch my car. Right now I stall up to around1000rpm and walk of the line, the floor it, but I'm not sure if I should go with the ASR on or off? Any opinions are appreciated and I"m interested in hearing about other members cars.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

300c non SRT8, you got a good chance.
SRT8, you may be in over your head.

I wouldn't doubt you're stock. My friend has owned nothing but bubble chevys from the early mid 90s (caprices, impalas, etc) and they have all been turds. Not surprised you walked the Impala at all. At its best with a stock engine, it made 260hp I think? Most people think they have the 5.7 LT1 "Police package", when they have the 5.0 302ci chevy v8.

Try it out and see how it works with and without trac control on. Tires plays a big role in launch too, so if you're on all seasons, you might spin more then if you were on summers, and being on slicks, well, you should hook.

Good kills either way.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Yea Its a Hemi, but I just order LTs and ory, ill probably try him after they are installed and a tune, And yea 260hp rating and I'm pretty sure thats not at the wheels, preciate the reply, and the CTS is looking great, love that black
Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, unfortunately no longer looks like that, thanks to an acura who lost control. I'm in process of rebuilding though.

The C and the SRT8 are both Hemi engines, but the SRT8 is the higher performing one. The C isn't a slouch, but again, I think you should have him.

LT & ORY is where I'd start, then I'd go lid, intake mani, cam and then stall.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Teching In

dang that sucks!, and yea I'm bolt-on, then get cam, heads, and intake + rebuild the engine at the same time.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

You will take the 300c

Originally Posted by MaroBoyMike
dang that sucks!, and yea I'm bolt-on, then get cam, heads, and intake + rebuild the engine at the same time.
Why spend the extra cash for a rebuild unless its a worn out motor? Ive got 127k miles on my stock bottom end and lay rape all the time.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Teching In

its got 171,xxx on it, and the guy who is going to build it is going to do it for free because he owe me some flavors. just have to buy parts and I want the car to be A-1 and nice trans-am, I like that color
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude I raced a 300c in my tahoe and pulled like 3 cars on him..... that car should be the least of your worries.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Teching In

yea we will most likely end up racing this weekend sometime, but now I'm worried about my tires, they suck and won't for nothing! even with asr on its still trying to spin into 3rd and its slowing me down like crazy. I have some aurora h107 "radials", now I'm deciding between the Toyo Proxes TQ, or BFgoodrich G-force, any recommendations?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

I jus picked up toyos, they look sick, feel sticky, and are super wide. I'll let you know when they're mounted.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Alright, thats what I'm leaning to the toyos. And let me know how you like them, and how much rwhp you putting down?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Around 400. Hopefully I can get traction
Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had those Toyo's on my Mustang, and will getting them again for the Camaro when the 555R's are done. Awesome daily drag radial IMO!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Good kills man... You'll dust the hemi
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

You gotta have decent tires first and foremost. Any good summer only tire should give you enough traction that you can't spin if you wanted to. As for why your car is faster then others? Either your buddies friend with the '99 had a worn out engine, or you got a factory freak. I've seen a few LS1 Fbodies that were bone stock to slightly modded walking cars with much more mods. Shouldn't be possible, and guys love to argue it but it's true. I personally think that some LS1 cars got the C5 Z06 cam and that's why they are faster, only thing that really makes sense as it would be very easy for the techs putting the engines together to run out of LS1 cams from there bin so they reach over and grab a LS6 cam (most likely) or the manufacturer of the cams kept forgetting to switch over from LS6 grind to LS1 grind as he switched batches.

Both of which mean that there is gonna be some C5 Z06 owners out there with LS1 cams and wondering why there cars dont run as fast as they should.... lol
Old 04-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Thats where I wanna be 400+ club lol, hopefully soon. And my tires seem to hook when they want to,I been playing around with phone apps to time my 1/8th and 1/4th, when they don't hook I'm running 14.2-14.8 in the 1/4th and when they do 13.5-13.8 in the 1/4th. I know these aren't completely accurate, but i figure its about right. And with the 99 z28 I come to the conclusion it was the driver, he said he held the brake and didn't stall up any and just mashed the gas and spun like crazy lol. And I'm hoping I have a C5 cam lol.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
You gotta have decent tires first and foremost. Any good summer only tire should give you enough traction that you can't spin if you wanted to. As for why your car is faster then others? Either your buddies friend with the '99 had a worn out engine, or you got a factory freak. I've seen a few LS1 Fbodies that were bone stock to slightly modded walking cars with much more mods. Shouldn't be possible, and guys love to argue it but it's true. I personally think that some LS1 cars got the C5 Z06 cam and that's why they are faster, only thing that really makes sense as it would be very easy for the techs putting the engines together to run out of LS1 cams from there bin so they reach over and grab a LS6 cam (most likely) or the manufacturer of the cams kept forgetting to switch over from LS6 grind to LS1 grind as he switched batches.

Both of which mean that there is gonna be some C5 Z06 owners out there with LS1 cams and wondering why there cars dont run as fast as they should.... lol
Alcohol or weed? One of them has to be to blame for this post.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Alcohol or weed? One of them has to be to blame for this post.
42 yrs old, and have been around manufacturing and construction since I was 2 days old: trust me, my post has more truth in it then you know even if it's not exactly how it went down. Especially if the tech in question is a diehard GM fan who believes all LS1 cars should have actually had the LS6. Or the guy who just had his "random" sample taken out for testing so he decides to stick it to the man by manufacturing his next batch of pistons or rods .100" off to increase the compression ratio. Maybe the guy who is responsible for matching and balancing rotating assemblies for GM was bipolar and only sometimes did his job perfectly.

Whatever the reason, some LS1 fbodies ran a good 15+rwhp more then others with the exact same specs, miles, year, etc.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:48 AM
10 Second Club

tires are on. they have under 100 miles on them, and havent had any heat, plus its still pretty cold, and they still hook up pretty good. my sumitomos basically gave up anything under 40. 40 these hook, 30 they hook, 20 they only barely spun. but i havent done a burnout or anything. i can definitely feel them hooking. theyre very wide, and un balanced because the tire place couldnt fit them. oh well, ill bring it to my buddy who works at chevy.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
tires are on. they have under 100 miles on them, and havent had any heat, plus its still pretty cold, and they still hook up pretty good. my sumitomos basically gave up anything under 40. 40 these hook, 30 they hook, 20 they only barely spun. but i havent done a burnout or anything. i can definitely feel them hooking. theyre very wide, and un balanced because the tire place couldnt fit them. oh well, ill bring it to my buddy who works at chevy.

ok thanks man, I'm going to try the toyo's. And if they hook good with your car they should hook great with mine since I have less power than you.

Quick Reply: Short Kill story + Qusetion