Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.1 Stroker 2v Mustang, N20 Regal GS, 1JZ Supra, G8 GT, Fox, LS3 Vette, 3v GT, WRX

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heater
So would you have the same argument if someone swapped out a regular new 5.0 with a new Boss engine?
No not the same thing. A swap is a swap period
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Theblacknightls1
Swapping a LS1 to a LS6 is a swap.

Swapping a new 5.0 to a BOSS 5.0 is a swap.

But they are the same engine, with better power producing components, still same engine.

Not like swapping a LT1 out for a LS3.

Not like swapping a 2v for a 5.0.

Are these still swaps, yes. But not the same engine at all.

All I'm saying guys.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Swapping a LS1 to a LS6 is a swap.

Swapping a new 5.0 to a BOSS 5.0 is a swap.

But they are the same engine, with better power producing components, still same engine.

Not like swapping a LT1 out for a LS3.

Not like swapping a 2v for a 5.0.

Are these still swaps, yes. But not the same engine at all.

All I'm saying guys.
I agree with this but the ls6 is still superior than the ls1 maybe not as much as a ls2 or etc but still consider a swap but either way hio has a fast bolt on ls6 car that runs very well.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 432 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Every swap is a replacement (Jet engine for an I4 is a replacement because it REPLACED the engine that was in the car), but not every replacement is a swap (I blow my stock 2.0L I4 and replace it with an OEM 2.0 I4 with same stock components, I wouldn't consider it a swap because I didn't trade this part for that part and gain performance while doing so).

Ponder that for a while.

Yeah, you REPLACED your LS1 with an LS6. If you ever put something else under the hood that isn't the EXACT engine that came in it when you bought it, it's a replacement.
For simplicity, let's call an LS1 engine X and an LS6 engine Y.
LS1 = X
LS6 = Y
YOU swapped X engine for Y. If you swap engine X back into the car after the first engine X was fucked, then you didn't "swap" any major components, just put the SAME engine back into the car because the first one was old, fubar, got shifted from 5th to 1st at 6k rpms, etc. Engine Y (LS6) has different heads, cam, block (I think?), thus making it a different engine than X. You gained performance by using Y that you wouldn't have had with X.

Engine Y > Engine X. You took out X and put in Y.

I am using a motor from a 95 (302 SBF) in my 86 coupe. Now, even though 86's came stock with a 302 SBF, I still say I "swapped" the 95 motor in. See how it works? Downplaying your **** the way you do just makes you look shady.
How do I downplay it?????????????????????/ Have you looked at my sig???

Fact is it's a replacement. No changes needed. Bolts right in, all sensors/wires reach, runs on the stock tune. As a matter of fact I went a 12.1@118 on the stock tune and little to no w/r.....not even a dr.

It's really no different than replacing a old wore 305 in a pick-up truck with a 350.....probably easier really.

When I have to make mount changes/wiring changes/exhaust changes/cut on the car for fitment......or whatever is a swap. When I unbolt one and bolt the other in it's a replacement.

I say it like that to not offend someone that has worked really hard to a certain engine in a certain chassis. All swaps are not created equal. Here's a example

I made the mounts...I put the damn engine where I wanted it.

Here's another

trust me when I say they are not comparable to putting a ls6 in where a ls1 was.
I understand your point, it is a swap/replacement, whatever you say.

But a LS6 is the same damn thing as a LS1 with a baby *** cam and slightly better heads. Stock for stock puts down an extra 40ish whp.

Say what you want, but in the end Hios car is damn impressive for what it is. A bolt on LS6 F-bod.
Thanks. Actually there's about 60hp between them.
I agree completely! He speaks as if he has stock LS1 parts, though, which he doesn't. He can say "Oh they're barely better" but the point is they ARE better to some degree. If they weren't, I doubt GM wouldn't have given enough of a **** to create an LS6 in the first place. See what I mean?
Sure a ls6 is better...I've never denied that. But it's not like it's some huge difference.....60hp and another 1000 usable rpm.
I do remember there being some slight differences with it but they were so minor that well, its why I can't remember what they were lol

LS6 is to a LS1 like the LT4 was to the LT1. More power yes, but not much. Is it worth getting one? Not really when you can just throw a bigger cam/heads into a LT1/LS1 and have more power than the LT4/LS6.

He can't say he has a LS1, but in a sense. I see where he is coming from too. Hell, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think manufacturers even sell a milder aftermarket H/C setup when it comes to the LS6 H/C specs for a LS1 because the gains are so minimal, that should tell you something.

LS1/LS6 are almost the spittin image of each other. Its not like we are talking LS2/LS3/LS7 here.
Hell even ls2/ls3/ls7 are not a huge deal. I do consider them a swap do to wiring differences but they are not some epic swap either. Not like putting a termi engine in a notch.

Sure they're worth changing. Solid reliabilty (mine has 80k on it and keeps goin faster) great mpg. Done right it hurts alot of feelings......as you can tell Guys has been smack talking my ls6 since I put it in even on EFA. I out ran that smack talker. Even Hardtop mentioned that in one of my threads when the car went 11.1.
Originally Posted by Heater
So would you have the same argument if someone swapped out a regular new 5.0 with a new Boss engine?
Would be comparable to what I have imo. A upgraded replacement engine.
I agree with this but the ls6 is still superior than the ls1 maybe not as much as a ls2 or etc but still consider a swap but either way hio has a fast bolt on ls6 car that runs very well.
Thanks.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 06-25-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I do from time to time. I have 3 sets of wheels and tires.

I think it would be a good run too.

Your a joke. You have know idea what they did to get there. Hence why YOUR boosted 5.4 can't get out of the 12's.

I downplayed it because he downplayed his 2step slicked up car. To me there is a big difference between a car running in street trim vs one that isn't.

Besides.....apparently you and many others have a problem with my fp'd trans and stock engine........vs full built turbo stuff. I really don't know why.

Still on the 10bolt too. Apparently your misinformed. The only safety feature gone is the airbags. My wife is less than 90lbs.....******* things could kill her and we both wear our seatbelts. Not a big deal

Yea man....every stopsign. So tell me, how do think his car would perform w/o it since you don't think its a big deal for him?

Yes it is.
The right combo is what was done to it
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Banned

Ok you are right Hiho it's not a swap. It is a 29xxlb H/C/I ls1 that runs 11s
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You still don't fahkin' get it. Swapping a hamster that runs in a wheel that turns a chain that turns your rear tires is a swap just like swapping in an LS2 in an LS1 GTO is a swap, an LS6 into an LS1 car is a swap, and a Bugatti W16 into a Geo Metro is a swap. Are there different degrees of difficulty and interchangeability of parts regarding swaps? OF COURSE! It's STILL A SWAP.

and El oh Effing El at the "just 60 more hp and 1,000 more usable RPM" comment. I don't even know the realistic rwhp difference between an LS6 and LS1 but do you know how much time and money people spend for 30hp in their cars? You're gonna say "it's only..." like it's the difference in a CAI and a stock airbox...
Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Ok anyway, someone asked me what my car weighed. It weighed in at 3138 without me in it and about half a tank of gas.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Pretty damn light car. What they wieght stock 3500lbs?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
Pretty damn light car. What they wieght stock 3500lbs?
Nah I think somewhere around 3300.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sleeper Z
[/b]

So a $2200+ set of bare TFS heads plus ALL the supporting mods (cams, intake, bolt-ons, yada yada) plus porting all for a measly 380-400rwhp? Nothing "easy" about that. Hell I could throw just about any off the shelf cam in an LS1 plus bolt-ons and make that, plus do all the work in one afternoon in my garage. Now that's what I consider "easy" hp. Only way to make simple power with a 2v is with FI - period. Ask me how I know....
Nobody said it was cheap derp. If it was there would be h/c 2vs running around hurting ls feelings
Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Teching In

I still need to get my heads ported/worked. That will be next year.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sleeper Z
If only you weren't half way across the country I could slap you for saying that.
I would say it even if you weren't have way across the country
Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adamantium
Like ive said ive seen a bolt on ITR swapped CRX with full interior walk one of those *****. They are slow.

Hio is still on the 10 bolt and its still full interior from what i remember.
So a naturally aspirated SOHC 4.6L keeps up with a supercharged 5.4L because the Lightning is slow? There's some info missing from your logic.

Relative to those GTOs who install bolt-ons to get faster, that Lightning is fast at 12.8s
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 432 Likes on 339 Posts

You still don't fahkin' get it. Swapping a hamster that runs in a wheel that turns a chain that turns your rear tires is a swap just like swapping in an LS2 in an LS1 GTO is a swap, an LS6 into an LS1 car is a swap, and a Bugatti W16 into a Geo Metro is a swap. Are there different degrees of difficulty and interchangeability of parts regarding swaps? OF COURSE! It's STILL A SWAP.

and El oh Effing El at the "just 60 more hp and 1,000 more usable RPM" comment. I don't even know the realistic rwhp difference between an LS6 and LS1 but do you know how much time and money people spend for 30hp in their cars? You're gonna say "it's only..." like it's the difference in a CAI and a stock airbox...
Your a idiot. That's the reason one is swap and the other is a replacement.....degree of difficulty.

I told the difference between a ls6 and a ls1. What's the big deal? You have some on here saying the change is not worth it for that amount of power.....so it must not be a huge change.
Originally Posted by Turbo2vGT
Ok anyway, someone asked me what my car weighed. It weighed in at 3138 without me in it and about half a tank of gas.
Your not much heavier than me. I was at about 3040-3050 w/o me last time I ran. I thought you would be heavier with the turbo stuff. What have you done to lighten it?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evangto87
Good runs... FYI... my buddies 2v was a very simple... offroad x pipe, catback, s trim on 12lbs... trapped 118 pretty consistantly.

2Vs are just as easy to make fast as any other car... just requires money. What most people dont realize is a 2V cylinder head flows 145cfm... while a TFS cnc casting flows literally double that... for the same 2v motor. A heads/cam/intake 2v done right.. will not have a problem making 380whp-400whp... lets go boys... think outside the box!
No, we'd rather just keep repeating "2Vs are dog slow", "2Vs are never fast", "2Vs suck" over and over rather than discuss the details like you're doing
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

Your not much heavier than me. I was at about 3040-3050 w/o me last time I ran. I thought you would be heavier with the turbo stuff. What have you done to lighten it?
Not a whole lot honestly. Tubular K member, deleted the AC stuff, open downpipe (no catback or mid pipe), rear seat delete, no spare, jack, etc in the trunk. That's all I can think of.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If you swap a sti motor into a wrx
If you swap an lnf into a cobalt ls
If u throw a srt into an rt
If u throw an ls1 into an iroc

What do we call that?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hugger1975
If you swap a sti motor into a wrx
If you swap an lnf into a cobalt ls
If u throw a srt into an rt
If u throw an ls1 into an iroc

What do we call that?
An abortion to the 4th degree.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Teching In

QUESTION.

Is a 4.6L aluminum Romeo block in place of a 4.6L "nPI" block considered a swap or a replacement?

Quick Reply: 5.1 Stroker 2v Mustang, N20 Regal GS, 1JZ Supra, G8 GT, Fox, LS3 Vette, 3v GT, WRX