Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

pdv25 GTR and EVO vs shelby

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Not really because a 4.0 whipple torque curve will be much different from a turbo setup.
I thought we were comparing 1,000 hp cars...not the tq curves of them, I will stand by my statement that its easier to hook a drag radial car from a 60 roll vs street tire car from a dig even on a prepped surface.

Im sure I could find more big power cars hooking on 19's from a roll but obviously unless I find a GT500 with 1,000 whp with a pd blower OTHER than the car in this video getting traction from a 60 roll it wont matter, even then there would be a color variance in the two cars and that would make the difference in traction.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep grasping man...

The guy with the GT500 just backed up my point...

Ill bet any day of any week that the same car on a street tire will get better traction on a prepped surface then the same car with a drag radial on concrete..

Also... as far as the positive displacement thing and trying to make it sound like im being picky. I referenced that in my original post. Better idea... go find a GT500 with a tire swap and tune only... shouldnt be too hard to find. Makes around 500 whp. Let me know how hard it is to plant that power on the street from any speed. Then imagine adding another 500whp...

When i drove my buddies 500whp 08 GT500 with mickey thompsons on 18s... it was an absolute joke at how much wheel spin there was... with stock 3.31 gears... second gear was useless. All the weight in the nose, none in the back. Instant tq from positive displacement blower.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys also got to realize his passenger was sitting in the back seat, which helps for weight transfer/traction etc...
Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2StepsAhead
I thought we were comparing 1,000 hp cars...not the tq curves of them, I will stand by my statement that its easier to hook a drag radial car from a 60 roll vs street tire car from a dig even on a prepped surface.

Im sure I could find more big power cars hooking on 19's from a roll but obviously unless I find a GT500 with 1,000 whp with a pd blower OTHER than the car in this video getting traction from a 60 roll it wont matter, even then there would be a color variance in the two cars and that would make the difference in traction.
If you are saying a drag radial will hook better than a street tire? Yeah, I agree.
What I am saying is the GT500 with the 4.0l blower will spin whatever tires he has on his car much easier than say a turbo setup, or automatic setup.

Stick shift + 100% torque from pedal mash + street = spin. If that 500 would have dead hooked in the proper gear, he would not have flown by the gtr, he would have walked it from the start. Evo would have been a little tougher, but again.. I think he would have been much closer if not door to door with it.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Teching In

I'm grasping, you made the asinine comment of not being able to hook 1,000 whp from a roll on 19in drag radials so I posted a car on 20in street tires doing it and now you're going to break it down to technicality of weight transfer, drag radial compound vs street tire compound, roll vs dig, pd blower vs turbo...maybe you should be more specific before you drop blanket statements.

Does the gt500 who posted have 1,000 whp? Does your buddies gt500 that you drove have a 305 19 in mt? Apples to oranges on both parts, point still remains you called bs that it could be done...and when someone shows you otherwise you break down the minute details of why it shouldn't. Someone posted a dyno video of the car and that still wasn't enough, the butt hurt is strong with you. Maybe if we throw enough coulda shoulda wouldas in this thread it'll change the outcome of the race.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Teching In

If you are saying a drag radial will hook better than a street tire? Yeah, I agree.
What I am saying is the GT500 with the 4.0l blower will spin whatever tires he has on his car much easier than say a turbo setup, or automatic setup.
I can agree with the pd blower vs turbo for sure, but unfortunately there isnt going to be a perfect direct comparison here...is the viper on 20in street tires a comparison to a car on 19in drag radials? Not exactly. Is a pd blower car a comparison for a turbo car? Not exactly...all I was trying to do is say its not TOO far fetched for a 1,000 hp car to be able to get traction from a 60 roll on drag radials.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm grasping, you made the asinine comment of not being able to hook 1,000 whp from a roll on 19in drag radials so I posted a car on 20in street tires doing it and now you're going to break it down to technicality of weight transfer, drag radial compound vs street tire compound, roll vs dig, pd blower vs turbo...maybe you should be more specific before you drop blanket statements.

Does the gt500 who posted have 1,000 whp? Does your buddies gt500 that you drove have a 305 19 in mt? Apples to oranges on both parts, point still remains you called bs that it could be done...and when someone shows you otherwise you break down the minute details of why it shouldn't. Someone posted a dyno video of the car and that still wasn't enough, the butt hurt is strong with you. Maybe if we throw enough coulda shoulda wouldas in this thread it'll change the outcome of the race.
Rather then argue.... just go back and read the conversation where you werent involved. We are talking about a positive displacement GT500 here....and i referanced that... and you generalize it with all sorts of different setups on different cars.

But to answer your question... he has 305 mickey thompsons on 18s... and doesnt hook. But im sure 500 more hp will be a bit more managable...

Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

will you 2 shut up already..

my GT500 hooks second fine at 580ish whp on a 18" 305/45/18 555R on the street, first is a different story.. although, it is a little warm in AZ

Last edited by Camper; 07-04-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camper
will you 2 shut up already..
No... my ***** is too small... therefore i must make up for it VIA interweb
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by evangto87
Keep grasping man...

The guy with the GT500 just backed up my point...

Ill bet any day of any week that the same car on a street tire will get better traction on a prepped surface then the same car with a drag radial on concrete..

Also... as far as the positive displacement thing and trying to make it sound like im being picky. I referenced that in my original post. Better idea... go find a GT500 with a tire swap and tune only... shouldnt be too hard to find. Makes around 500 whp. Let me know how hard it is to plant that power on the street from any speed. Then imagine adding another 500whp...

When i drove my buddies 500whp 08 GT500 with mickey thompsons on 18s... it was an absolute joke at how much wheel spin there was... with stock 3.31 gears... second gear was useless. All the weight in the nose, none in the back. Instant tq from positive displacement blower.
I can give some insight into this. My car when it was pulley/tune(umm... yeah... still pulley...tune....yes it has a pulley and a tune..... ) with 20" 305/35-20 555r drag radials, if I were to roll into 1st gear, it would spin instantly.. then shifting to 2nd gear, I would have to feather the throttle most of 2nd.. 3rd gear hooked pretty decent, maybe a nice small spin/bark.

If I did a 40mph 2nd gear roll, depending on the temps, I would get wheelspin and have to feather the throttle. On hot days and now new 555r's it hooked alot better.
I was at 558rwhp sae with that setup. I have 3.73 SVTPP package

Now DOUBLE that power and torque on the street... thats why the GT500 in the video fell back..

Here is a couple vids of me messing with my incar gopro cam mount I made.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evangto87
No... my ***** is too small... therefore i must make up for it VIA interweb
Says the guy who deletes his threads when someone says his car isn't as fast as he claims it is and then resposts the thread a week later and asks everyone to be nice. You're always here to stroke your ego and if someone doesn't go along with it you say it's my bat and my ball and I'm leaving.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

People get too serious on dee' interwebz.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

^uh oh... hes getting personal now and left the subject at hand....

How does it go? Oh yea

"He mad"
Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Teching In

I'm terribly mad that's why I come into every thread with a mustang in it and defend their honor when they lose and throw my own car into every comparison even when there are no mustangs or gtos involved. Noooo, argghh.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

My personal experience VS your youtube experience... Yes today... you are the victor.

Anyway... Happy fourth LS1TECH. Im going out now.

Once again... Nice Evo!

Second fav AWD car next to the lambos.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

2011 Mustang GT Twin Turbo 9.37@154 on 19s - World's Quickest Turbocharged Coyote 5.0 - YouTube

Is this a good car to compare? I guess the prepped surface is going to be the excuse and we'll just disregard dig vs roll.
That car has an a auto, lots suspension work and is launched easy. Compare it to 5.0's with same power that has went 8.7's. And yes its a very very prepped surface. It also is setup to leave soft in the tune.

I used have invo's on my car. And at a regular test and tune best 60 I got was 2.0 on them walking it out in my auto. A wheel swap dropped my 60 to 1.4 and dropped ET from 11.8 to 10.4. That was with 650whp. A 1000whp would have been near impossible.

Last edited by ohioborn80; 07-04-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

I've got a bit of a Ford FI NEWB question here...

Can you get 1000rwhp (equates to at least 1200hp flywheel, probably more as parasitic losses get larger into higher hp setups) without a cog belt on a 4.0L Whipple?

Either way, Dyno queen tune by the look of it.

Lastly, LOL @ Evo is 1/2 the weight. Right, so Evo's weigh 2100 lbs now? Such a ricer comment. Yes it's lighter. No, it's not even close to 1/2 the weight!!

Sorry to derail the back and forth here...
Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stick shift + 100% torque from pedal mash + street = spin. If that 500 would have dead hooked in the proper gear, he would not have flown by the gtr, he would have walked it from the start. Evo would have been a little tougher, but again.. I think he would have been much closer if not door to door with it.
No matter what gear the GT500 was in it was not catching that evo. That GT500 has only gone low to mid 140s in the 1/4. As opposed to the evo that has gone 151 mph...
Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I've got a bit of a Ford FI NEWB question here...

Can you get 1000rwhp (equates to at least 1200hp flywheel, probably more as parasitic losses get larger into higher hp setups) without a cog belt on a 4.0L Whipple?

Either way, Dyno queen tune by the look of it.

Lastly, LOL @ Evo is 1/2 the weight. Right, so Evo's weigh 2100 lbs now? Such a ricer comment. Yes it's lighter. No, it's not even close to 1/2 the weight!!

Sorry to derail the back and forth here...
With a 4.0 whipple it is possible yes. But not easy. Being a bigger blower and being able to make more power without having to spin the rotors as fast, you can run more pulley... more pulley equals more belt wrap. Of course you can still always get belt slip. But to me, this car is in no way setup to be efficient... just make the number on the dyno. Almost like a kit car.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamantium
No matter what gear the GT500 was in it was not catching that evo. That GT500 has only gone low to mid 140s in the 1/4. As opposed to the evo that has gone 151 mph...
But you have to ask yourself... WHY does it go low to mid 140s...

Im willing to bet it has a lot to do with the same reason its able to hook on the street with a 19 inch drag radial

Quick Reply: pdv25 GTR and EVO vs shelby