Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GT500 vs ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember who did it but they compared the zr1 and z06 at a road course. The zr1 heat soaked after 2 laps and the z06 ran faster laps after that.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JesseWS6
I don't remember who did it but they compared the zr1 and z06 at a road course. The zr1 heat soaked after 2 laps and the z06 ran faster laps after that.
good point bro... zo6 still walks em both. no blower required
Old 07-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JesseWS6
Where'd you read that at? I'd love to see the article tho I doubt it truly exists. Btw, the ZR1 was 3 seconds faster around the 'Ring.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...eife_lap_times

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
good point bro... zo6 still walks em both. no blower required
Stock vs Stock Z06 isn't "walking" anything, around a corner or in a straight line. Even the most honest C6 Z owners will tell you that. For the record I've owned a DSOM '06 & AOM '09 Z06.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

pretty good IMO. The 13 Gt500 is quicker. But the reality is it only out performs the ZL in 1 performance category. Sure this is the place for that. They are performance cars........NOT drag only cars.

The Z28 is gonna be nasty for sure. Probably still not a drag queen. But I think we will be looking at world class performance in general.
^^^Only gives a **** about handling and other aspects when it's the only thing the Camaro is better at than the GT500. Your emphasis was always "racing on the street" to the point that you said this is the street racing section not the 1/4 mile strip section, or something to that effect. Now you can't suck on the Camaro's nuts with straight line speed, so you dash to other categories of performance.

That's pretty damn sad. BRB, counting the "race in the twisties" kills posted on here.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

At the end of the day people are gonna buy what they wont. The ZL1 is slower at the drag or the GT500 could of been slower. You think its gonna stop a person buying the car they wont nope. Its not like these cars are drag racing every day
Old 07-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLWNV10
Where'd you read that at? I'd love to see the article tho I doubt it truly exists. Btw, the ZR1 was 3 seconds faster around the 'Ring.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...eife_lap_times

Stock vs Stock Z06 isn't "walking" anything, around a corner or in a straight line. Even the most honest C6 Z owners will tell you that. For the record I've owned a DSOM '06 & AOM '09 Z06.
road and track or motor trend sometimes compares the production car to its race car and the C6Z06 with Z07 package was putting faster lap times than the Zr1 was and it was the only vette able to stay with in like 10-30 sec away from the C6R lol i forgot exactly how far away. but once i find the thread ill post back in here.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
At the end of the day people are gonna buy what they wont. The ZL1 is slower at the drag or the GT500 could of been slower. You think its gonna stop a person buying the car they wont nope. Its not like these cars are drag racing every day
I agree with you. It just humors me to see people who have never shown an interest in handling characteristics before try to gloat on how the ZL1 is ONLY worse in ONE category and better in categories they seemingly never gave a **** about. That's grasping.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Banned

It was road and track and the C6Z06 was only 6 seconds behind the C6R on THAT track his the video its a little over 5 minutes long.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...corvette-fever

heres the link to the article as well
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 438 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
^^^Only gives a **** about handling and other aspects when it's the only thing the Camaro is better at than the GT500. Your emphasis was always "racing on the street" to the point that you said this is the street racing section not the 1/4 mile strip section, or something to that effect. Now you can't suck on the Camaro's nuts with straight line speed, so you dash to other categories of performance.

That's pretty damn sad. BRB, counting the "race in the twisties" kills posted on here.
Why don't go run a 1/4.....turn around and go back the other 2/3's a mile or so then do the 1/4 again. Report back on how long it takes to get groceries.

I like a good handling car.
I agree with you. It just humors me to see people who have never shown an interest in handling characteristics before try to gloat on how the ZL1 is ONLY worse in ONE category and better in categories they seemingly never gave a **** about. That's grasping.
I worked for a road race team for 17yrs.........long before srk was around.

It humors me how many of you ford guys come outta the wood work to try and grasp your manhood.

I'm not gonna buy either so I really don't care. But I assure you the power issue of the ZL1 is much easier to cure than the handling issue of the GT500.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

My car is in pieces now, or else I would!

Funny I have a hard time finding any posts of yours regarding the importance of a car's ability to be a great autocross vehicle. It's always been about roll racing on the street and how much you stomp your feet if a car so much as launches at too high of an RPM at the start of a race.

If the ZL1 was faster in a straight line than the GT500 you would not give a quarter of a **** about the handling characteristics. Congrats on working for the road race team? I have a goldfish.

The ZL1 is a good match for the Boss, though.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Banned

Why don't go run a 1/4.....turn around and go back the other 2/3's a mile or so then do the 1/4 again. Report back on how long it takes to get groceries.

It humors me how many of you ford guys come outta the wood work to try and grasp your manhood.

I'm not gonna buy either so I really don't care. But I assure you the power issue of the ZL1 is much easier to cure than the handling issue of the GT500.
bro you can't argue with that guy hes almost as bad as automach
Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I clicked View Post to see what you had to contribute this one time.
Go back to asking willizm why his car is running 12.1's, champ.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no handling issue with the GT500... it will pull 1.0g on a skidpad.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

My car is in pieces now, or else I would!

Funny I have a hard time finding any posts of yours regarding the importance of a car's ability to be a great autocross vehicle. It's always been about roll racing on the street and how much you stomp your feet if a car so much as launches at too high of an RPM at the start of a race.

If the ZL1 was faster in a straight line than the GT500 you would not give a quarter of a **** about the handling characteristics. Congrats on working for the road race team? I have a goldfish.

The ZL1 is a good match for the Boss, though.
I hate roll racing. Where did you come up with that ****? With that said I don't like drag much either, but it's the most inexpensive and most accessible thing a guy can do in racing. There are no autox's in my area and the car would not survive lap after lap road course ****. Being it's my dd.....that is it's most important job.

And yes if your trying to compare 1/4 numbers and one guy launch's off a 2 step on a slick how is that comparable to someone leaving at 2000rpm on a street tire. The comparison don't work unless your trying to scew the results.
Originally Posted by "MAC"
bro you can't argue with that guy hes almost as bad as automach
For real.......I'm just to dumb to leave them alone.....
Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
There are when a car with 226 less hp(1LE) is within a few tenths of it at VIR. Slice how you want but that's the facts.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Banned

thats true but it gets a little more tail happy then the Zl1 only because of the tires tho. Either way its a stout car and it probably would run better with wider tires around the track.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GT500 is the fastest car on the planet.
Nice.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM
***Repost Police***

Just because the ZL1 handles better than the GT500 doesn't mean the GT500 has handling problems. It and the Boss are probably the best-handling live axle cars to ever come from the factory. And IRS is coming with the next generation. The ZL1 is stronger than the current Ford offerings in the handling category because, ceteris paribus, a well-designed IRS will perform better 10/10 times. The fact that the GT500 is as close as it is is a testament to how much work was put into upgrading an 8 year old chassis.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

I want a stage 3 camero zl1 with nos

Quick Reply: GT500 vs ZL1