Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'96Z 396 LTx Stroker beats back Cammed/Header 5th Gen SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013 | 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snake95
It's disappointing that this is how you have to validate yourself and feel like a winner. You're very aware of the PD blowers losing power when hot-lapped, and just because you're going to be in a naturally aspirated car, you throw in the "do this or forfeit!" card. When this whole shitstorm started, I figured you'd be a man about it.

...and to who said neither is set up for 1/8th? Yep, the stalled auto running 5.13 gears isn't more 1/8th mile ready than a damn M6. Get real.
It was more of a bash towards the OP for having that deep of an unnecessary gear and thinking its helping his times. I race 1/8th mile and have been 6.30's in a street car with just a bit over 400hp. Trust me the Camaro hasn't been set up for any type of racing except for seeing who's car shifts the most.
Old 08-19-2013 | 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I was just saying 3.73 geared M6 or 3600 stalled (maybe higher?) A4 running 5.13s, we all know which one is easier to pilot to a personal best in the 1/8th.
Old 08-19-2013 | 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3.55s btw
Old 08-19-2013 | 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Don't make excuses for termi's when they're hot lapped. Fact is if they're not iced down/forever cool downs they would not put up the times they do. That's the **** the ford guys like to leave out.......they love to talk about their glory runs. Just like how I learned they don't like to say much about belt squeak.....lol....they don't talk about any of the issues of their cars.

The old 5.0 **** liked iced down glory run **** too. They would usually run their fastes pass right off the trailer. Then you spend the rest of the day wondering why it slowed down .2
I tend to agree, but there are practical reasons why the race was defined as it was.

I gave the Scout the link to the Track Schedule… and his choice for the date, because he's the one traveling. He picked Saturday, the 7th… That's is Bracket Racing Night. Which is fine with me, as it has the advantage of better track prep. Now the Brackets are sanctioned, with points being central and those guys don't give a dam' about our little contest, they're running for position. Therefore on Saturday night, the track does not cater to grudge matches.

The only way to get our race done, is to get it in before the sanctioned event, during warmups, or in between the qualifiers and the race. So, it has to be hot-laps. They're not going to alter the schedule to accommodate our race and it's as simple as that.

All the drama aside, it's a very simple deal.
Old 08-19-2013 | 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

Then come up Sunday to Orlando where its a grudge / TnT event all day ? 10-6 you'd be saving money not having to pony up for a hotel and its a full track you can even shut her down half track and its only 22 to run ! of course I'm sure that 5.13 spooled A4 is really street friendly should knock down some MPGs

You're setting all sorts of rules now and I'm just really done with the BS. Next you'll want me to run on foot or for me to go buy my formula back and race that like you originally thought you were gonna race...
Old 08-19-2013 | 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
It was more of a bash towards the OP for having that deep of an unnecessary gear and thinking its helping his times. I race 1/8th mile and have been 6.30's in a street car with just a bit over 400hp. Trust me the Camaro hasn't been set up for any type of racing except for seeing who's car shifts the most.
The OP has never claimed that the 5.13s were good for his times. He said they're a gas to drive and are essential to staying out front… on the street. Which is where the car is driven, 95% of the time.

You don't have to believe me… do your own research and slap a set onto something with some torque behind it and you'll figure it out, almost instantly.

A "Bad Gear" becomes MUCH harder to find… . Let's say you're cruising along in traffic and you need to get over, but there's some knot-head hanging out on your bumper. Just push the gas down a little and slip it on in… with PLENTY of room.

Say you're trying to get out and the light up the street just went green… wait for 3 cars lengths where traffic is going 55mph and pull on out… and either blend in instantly or blast out into a hole that opens up leaving the guy that was halfway to the brake pedal before you started pulling, who then couldn't resist gassing it to try and get some satisfaction, but who couldn't get anywhere near ya.

It's a blast. It may not be your thing, but I enjoy it, very much.
Old 08-19-2013 | 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Then come up Sunday to Orlando where its a grudge / TnT event all day ? 10-6 you'd be saving money not having to pony up for a hotel and its a full track you can even shut her down half track and its only 22 to run ! of course I'm sure that 5.13 spooled A4 is really street friendly should knock down some MPGs

Hmm… interesting. But I told ya that the Mrs. has some family stuff I'm committed to that weekend and I paid a heavy price already for this race, having carved out her Saturday evening 'delights'.

But let me see if I can swing it. I'll try… (By god you're a pain in the ***, Scout.)

And yes, the Gas Mileage on the Z is the envy of every cabin cruiser… I beat those guys by at LEAST 5%. Of course I don't have as much deck space and we all know how the opti and water mix… but at the end of the day, mile for mile, I still got 'em.

You're setting all sorts of rules now and I'm just really done with the BS. Next you'll want me to run on foot or for me to go buy my formula back and race that like you originally thought you were gonna race...
N'yeah… RULES? It's run whatcha Brung, three laps, back to back to back… Ya can't GET fewer rules than that!

I swear it's like talking to a woman! Let me ask ya: What color is the sky in your world? When you flush the toilet… Clockwise or Counter-CW?

I mean the very PREMISE that you're offering axiomatically sets up a slew of rules… 30 minute cool down… what happens during those cool downs? Can ya retune from the last log? Can ya rejet the nitrous? Can ya change bottles? Pullies? Swapped or not? It's ENDLESS… and yet there ya are accusing me of 'setting all sorts of rules'… it's TWO RULES:

1: Show up.
2: Stage up and race three passes back to back.

ANYTHING gettin' through here?

Last edited by OVA1; 08-19-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2013 | 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

No offense there Ova but Jon needs 0 advice coming from You ,think he has it figured out....
Old 08-19-2013 | 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

No offense there Ova but Jon needs 0 advice coming from You ,think he has it figured out....
I tell ya what Sprout, you handle the hysterically irrelevant, over the top, panic rationalizations and let me handle my own responses.

Since YOU have never driven a set of 5.13s with some *** behind 'em, as is typical of your history in this thread, you would be well advised to take your own advice.

If Jon has, then he knows what I'm talking about and if he hasn't, then he should; as I noted above, give 'em a try.
Old 08-19-2013 | 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

I've taken plenty advice from Jon

I'm sure 5.13s are nothing he'd ever tell me to use ...
Old 08-19-2013 | 06:32 PM
On The Tree

This is why I would just rather race my friends versus the grudge crap with people that I don't know.

Too much drama sucks the fun out of it.
Old 08-19-2013 | 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heater
This is why I would just rather race my friends versus the grudge crap with people that I don't know.

Too much drama sucks the fun out of it.
Well, one does the best one can with what one has to work with…

"Ya go to war with the Air Force ya got, not the one ya wish ya had… those guys are dead now and they ain't comin' back. So we're stuck with their snot nosed, mamby-pamby, metro-sexual, cry-baby grand kids…" High Ranking Pentagon Official speaking on the chances that Airman Lawhead will live up to his obligations and stop crying about how sensitive his Shiny Blue Super-Ford is…
Old 08-19-2013 | 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure what you're feeling is more of a seat of the pants and sound thing. My street car with 4.10's trapped 106-107 in the 1/8th on motor. With a 5200 stall on the street passing people wasn't an issue. I had a cam only 302sbf that ran 7.60's with 4.88's, it was fun rowing the gears so I do have an understanding.
Old 08-19-2013 | 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

I've taken plenty advice from Jon

I'm sure 5.13s are nothing he'd ever tell me to use ...
Is Jon the one that advised ya to post time slips and video then go into forums and smack talk cars running faster than your own posted numbers, then desperately try to paint yourself as the victim, after touting the superior nature of your car, which can't hot-lap 3 1/8th mile passes, proving yourself to be the total tool package: Emotional desperation and a car well suited for every Princess?

LOL!

Jon… you're one cruel son of a gun.
Truly, the treachery is exquisite…

Last edited by OVA1; 08-19-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2013 | 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
I'm sure what you're feeling is more of a seat of the pants and sound thing. My street car with 4.10's trapped 106-107 in the 1/8th on motor. With a 5200 stall on the street passing people wasn't an issue. I had a cam only 302sbf that ran 7.60's with 4.88's, it was fun rowing the gears so I do have an understanding.
I hear ya brother…

My old 350 build was quick… not as quick as your car, but it pulled 96-97 in the 1/8 on a 75 shot.

But in most circumstances; for the 'unwanted merge', for instance, I'd needed to stall it up, by downshifting… which sets the revs way up and charges up an assload of momentum, which has to be bled off once ya slide it in.

The 5.13s do not require downshifting…. You can be doing 55 or 60 in OD, and just torque it on over, RIGHT NOW. And if ya DO downshift, ya don't need anywhere NEAR the revs to gather up a quick 10-15 feet and push it over before Dude can even get a signal to his foot to press the accelerator… the torque is right there, all the time.

Totally different thing… Some car comes out of no where, catches ya at the bottom of OD, no big deal… just pull it down to 3rd and start pullin' it back in.

I'm not bustin' your ***** at all here. Driver to driver, it's a bitch to get around.

I'll grantcha that it's unconventional, and everything but optimal for dealing with the clock, but on the street, it's a blast.
Old 08-19-2013 | 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

You claimed you went faster in the quarter mile and that's what I posted where is that proof there mister one and done with the Corp I've only posted my first time out with cars time slip info but in your world you're right and know everything no need me wasting my breathe
Old 08-19-2013 | 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

You claimed you went faster in the quarter mile and that's what I posted where is that proof there mister one and done with the Corp
No sir… I never made any such claim and what's more, you dam' well KNOW that I never made the claim.

Here's the best recap posted so far:

Originally Posted by 1fastpickup
Lawhead is the one looking like the fool here... You got in this thread on page one and told him he should "push is car off a cliff" because it "only went 90mph in the 1/8th". Then said his "ET and MPH sucked" "compared to anything". But your car went:

60 1.797
330 5.116
1/8th 7.838
mph 90.38

That's slower to the 60', slower to the 330', and slower to the 1/8th with the exact same mph as a car that "needs to be pushed off a cliff" ...and his numbers were normally aspirated!
So, your "stock" 465wph car with intake, exhaust, heat exchanger and pullied to twice the factory boost on ET Streets ran slower than the car who you said "sucked".

Then he calls you out and you immediately try to change it to a 1/4 mile race (knowing he's setup for the 1/8th) even though it was his 1/8th mile numbers you were busting on. You then change your entire setup and add a second power adder...coincidentally making these "planned changes" before this race.

So, if you go out and beat him now...big deal. The car you were making fun of has already outrun your current setup...and you're the guy that had to have two power adders in order to beat him.

On the other hand, he has said he doesn't care that you're adding nitrous to it. Given his combo, auto vs manual, his low 7 second passes with the old setup (75 shot), and the fact he has already out 60' and 330' you. In 660 feet, you might very well be looking at the "W" in the other lane AFTER your changes.

...either way you come out looking like troll that got owned.
Old 08-19-2013 | 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OVA1
Not sure how it happened, but I missed this post.

LOL! Look Scout, if you don't understand air density, despite driving a setup built around the principle that high pressure is mo' betta… then I can't see any reason to spend the time to explain it to you hear.

Suffice it to say that cooler air is more dense air, more dense the air, the more efficient the combustion… (Mo' POWUH!)

So, let's be clear what you're asking above.

Are you seriously doubting that my car could not beat 12.1 in the 1/4 mile? 'Cause, I did that Friday night. So, I mean if it's just the bench racin' you're looking for, using the data in evidence, you've already lost that one.

Or are you needing my car to trap higher than 118? Not sure what the relevance of that is… but if you can produce a valid argument showing relevance of the measured speed, I'll give ya the courtesy of hearing you out and giving it objective consideration.

My position is he who crosses the trap first wins the race and with ABSOLUTELY NO (NONE, NADA, ZIP) consideration for how fast one is going, be they first or second.

There was a guy in an old Firebird, think it was a 98, that used to run 7.50s trapping 88-90 mph almost every time.

That guy would beat your 12.1 by nearly half a second.

There was another guy that ran a bad *** Z28, on a 75 shot, trapped 7.2s 94-96 mph. He would have crushed your 12.1 like the proverbial Mustank BUG. Pulling no three cars on you… LOL! You'd have to delete the pulley ALL TOGETHER and just rap it around the shaft.

He never ran it on the 1/4, but most of those who offered an opinion felt that car would clock out at 11.3ish… trapping better than 120-122 or 3.

Born and raised in Florida… Was racing here long before you were a twinkle in Momma's eye. And it is ALWAYS about how badass my 396 Stroker is.

Now quit cryin' and pick a date and let's get this thing setup.

Ohrly you never said your car went faster than mine in the quarter? It's clear as day you said you beat a 12.1

Based on your ricer math and 1/8th mile times

Last edited by Lawhead; 08-19-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2013 | 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Here's the best recap posted so far:

Originally Posted by 1fastpickup
Lawhead is the one looking like the fool here... You got in this thread on page one and told him he should "push is car off a cliff" because it "only went 90mph in the 1/8th". Then said his "ET and MPH sucked" "compared to anything". But your car went:

60 1.797
330 5.116
1/8th 7.838
mph 90.38

That's slower to the 60', slower to the 330', and slower to the 1/8th with the exact same mph as a car that "needs to be pushed off a cliff" ...and his numbers were normally aspirated!
So, your "stock" 465wph car with intake, exhaust, heat exchanger and pullied to twice the factory boost on ET Streets ran slower than the car who you said "sucked".

Then he calls you out and you immediately try to change it to a 1/4 mile race (knowing he's setup for the 1/8th) even though it was his 1/8th mile numbers you were busting on. You then change your entire setup and add a second power adder...coincidentally making these "planned changes" before this race.

So, if you go out and beat him now...big deal. The car you were making fun of has already outrun your current setup...and you're the guy that had to have two power adders in order to beat him.

On the other hand, he has said he doesn't care that you're adding nitrous to it. Given his combo, auto vs manual, his low 7 second passes with the old setup (75 shot), and the fact he has already out 60' and 330' you. In 660 feet, you might very well be looking at the "W" in the other lane AFTER your changes.

...either way you come out looking like troll that got owned.
Old 08-19-2013 | 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Keep dodging what you've said class act

I need some home theater your work looks great.....or someone's does

Quick Reply: '96Z 396 LTx Stroker beats back Cammed/Header 5th Gen SS