Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

M6 Roll Race Techniques... what's yours?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1genCamaro
You're an *******, nuff said. Had you said something like "In my experience I found that your **** will break faster by dumping it" it would have been fine, it might have even sounded like constructive critisism but instead you just made yourself sound like an ***.And if those times were from 3 years ago why dont you just post up a more recent timeslip and let us all know how much better you are than us.

Way to back track.....dick

Jesus man, Seems like your the ******* man. You need to chill out a little. My friend(unbelievableLS1) comes in here, voices his opinion(a little too strongly he admitted and apologized), and you get on his *** like he's a ricer flaming your car or something. What he says is the truth...:for a average stock drivetrain, there is now way that you should do "clutch dumps" from a roll....that is, unless your Venkman...his car seems to be touched by the hand of god or something...Anyways, you need to chill out with your popping your top every tiume someone says something critical of you, or something you don't agree with...it's all in good fun. Unbelievable is just sorta like that; he is a little pushy sometimes in his posts, BUT if you knew him well enough, you'd undserstand that.....and anyways, he said eh came across as too strong and apologized, but I agree with him....you're asking for some serious problems with your car with all that drivetrain shock f dumping the clutch from a roll....

Then again, that's my opinion....i guess i'm a dumbass for having one of those!!!haha, J/K
Tim
Old 05-03-2004, 09:43 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Hey, let's get this thread back in line.
What method do you all use on a roll?
Old 05-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car in gear... foot on gas...

nuff said... seems to work for me...
Old 05-03-2004, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Is taching/ rev matching better than simply gunning it in gear?
Originally Posted by Venkman
I do what i call my 'upper deck launch' from a 45 roll basically at 2.25 honks, both feet go to the floor, at 2.95 honks, my left foot comes up rapidly. As you saw from the supra video, it usually results in about a 1 car jump right off the bat
The way that Venkman answers it would definitely work in your favor. Fine at 45mph, but if you tried this method in higher gears there is a greater chance that your clutch would not fully engage. But is this a rolling race? Never done a rolling race started with honking. Don't think I ever will if this is what you are working out to do. I go when we have waited long enough or when I hear WOT. I really don't care who goes first, 1/4 second advantage when rolling will not make much difference. If you want to take that extra 0.7 to store up extra reciprocating energy for a car length then be my guest, but I will be going as soon as I hear your WOT.

You should always be in a gear resulting in RPM's that is closest to your vehicles peak torque. Only reason I would WOT w/pop-clutch would be if I am in first gear at a speed that puts RPM's much lower then peak torque. Maybe 20mph in a 8500rpm Ferrari Modena 360 would benefit from this because the power curve is so high?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:39 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

By the way, I'm not too concerned about breaking my Moser 9", Heavy Duty Driveshaft or Spec III Clutch, I just want to know what jump method is more effective.
Haha OWNED by his ignorance.

Hmm... sounds almost like what you would do in a double clutch...
LOL

YEAH JUST LIKE THAT
Old 05-03-2004, 11:14 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

This is my car's powerband. Graph is up to date with my mods.

I'm fussing with all these questions 'cause I've been called out by an M6 LT-1 with intake, cutout and a 150 shot. It's gonna be a roll race, and I think it's gonna be close, so I need all the technique I can get,

Old 05-03-2004, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

I can give you a pretty close idea about the LT1, as I used to have one with a set-up VERY similar to that one. It was a 94'Z, A4 w/3.42's, CAI, 1LE elbow, ported MAF, FRA, all free mods, Borla ORY, 3" bullet muffler dumped under pass. side, MSD coil, Taylor wires, TR-6's, Spohn Tq. Arm w/-4* of pinion angle, stock intake, stock heads, stock cam, and stock manifolds. My best time was an 11.72 @117.xx on a 1.74 60'. That was done on ET Streets.

It should be quite the close race actually, especially considering he's a 6-speed, and if it's a wet shot. But, don't be surprised if you pull him, because he'll have to be on top of his game to get the most outta that car. My car was in pristine condition when I ran those times, and the weather was optimal. In normal conditions, my mpf was usually 115, and occsionally 116. My bottle pressure was always @950-1050 psi, thanks to my bottle heater. Oh yeah, that was with an NX kit.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Looks like you are making good power up to 6900rpms. I would start in the gear closest to 5000rpms (not higher if starting and slower MPH's). If racing with that 3 honk thing then you can WOT w/clutch-pop to add extra energy to the launch . . . That would give you everything you got. If you are doing a more spontaneous roll-on, just drop the hammer.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:55 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

You should take him. Your RWHP #'s should be close, and you have a HUGE gearing advantage.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turnin'LT4
Brian you are a moron. and go play with yourself.

WTF man??? Chill out George. You and I both know that you agree with what brian posted as far as "tech" goes.....you know you can't clutch dump a stock drivetrain car and expect it to continue to survive for long....what's with all the hostility? From what i can tell, this thread is pretty much finished...

South FL 02 SS- I say race him once from a regular roll, and if that isn't enough tot take him down, then i guess go for the "clutch dump" theory....I wouldn't reccommend it, but you have the buildup to handle it.

Tim
Old 05-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Damn George... Where did that come from?? Take it you don't care for Brian that much, but don't have to come in and ruin a thread...
Old 05-03-2004, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turnin'LT4
Brian you are a moron. and go play with yourself.

Still hangin from Daddy's nuts I can see!! Broke any **** lately with that killer, high-dollar set-up you got??
Old 05-03-2004, 01:07 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

It's a 150 dry shot.

Doing the math, his peak hp will be similar to mine, but I'm worried about the torque advantage from the spray.

Hey hey, start a new thread to air out your dirty laundry....
Old 05-03-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1genCamaro
You're an *******, nuff said.

Sick'em! NICE SIG.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
It's a 150 dry shot.

Doing the math, his peak hp will be similar to mine, but I'm worried about the torque advantage from the spray.

Hey hey, start a new thread to air out your dirty laundry....

If it's a 150 dry shot, it will probably yield around 120 or so at the wheels. Most every car we've had in the shop with a dry kit, on the 150 pills, that's around what they pick up on the jug, give or take a few. You are right though, he will defenitely have the torque advantage, and that will put him out front from the get-go, but whether or not he can stay out front really just depends on how much rwhp he's putting down, and how well he can drive. It's pretty much going to be a drivers race since you're going from a roll. Just don't be surprised if he jumps out on you at the very beginning. Like I said earlier though, you should squeeze back around him.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:16 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by UnbelievabLS1
99-LS1-SS......do you even have any clue what you're talking about? Reccommending to somebody that you think that's the way they should launch leads me to believe that you have the FnF box set collectors edition!
Mr. "F-in" street race expert. I would like for you to please point out where exactly I recommended ANYTHING other than you shutting the **** UP!

:edit: I am chilling out because he apologized. I didn't get that far before I posted. You just struck me wrong with your attitude.

[/end of rant]

Last edited by 99-LS1-SS; 05-03-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:25 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
WTF man??? Chill out George. You and I both know that you agree with what brian posted as far as "tech" goes.....you know you can't clutch dump a stock drivetrain car and expect it to continue to survive for long....what's with all the hostility? From what i can tell, this thread is pretty much finished...

South FL 02 SS- I say race him once from a regular roll, and if that isn't enough tot take him down, then i guess go for the "clutch dump" theory....I wouldn't reccommend it, but you have the buildup to handle it.

Tim
He didn't mysteriously change his sig after he asked the question. He doesn't have a stock drivetrain. Unblievable started talking **** without the facts. I know he apologized and it is cool but you need to chill too. You're getting upset because someone thinks your friend is an *******. So what. He is. I agree if Carlos had a stock drivetrain it would be harsh. I think all of us are aware of that.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:27 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Just don't be surprised if he jumps out on you at the very beginning. Like I said earlier though, you should squeeze back around him.
Gearing adavantage anyone?
Old 05-03-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Jesus man, Seems like your the ******* man. You need to chill out a little. My friend(unbelievableLS1) comes in here, voices his opinion(a little too strongly he admitted and apologized), and you get on his *** like he's a ricer flaming your car or something. What he says is the truth...:for a average stock drivetrain, there is now way that you should do "clutch dumps" from a roll....that is, unless your Venkman...his car seems to be touched by the hand of god or something...Anyways, you need to chill out with your popping your top every tiume someone says something critical of you, or something you don't agree with...it's all in good fun. Unbelievable is just sorta like that; he is a little pushy sometimes in his posts, BUT if you knew him well enough, you'd undserstand that.....and anyways, he said eh came across as too strong and apologized, but I agree with him....you're asking for some serious problems with your car with all that drivetrain shock f dumping the clutch from a roll....

Then again, that's my opinion....i guess i'm a dumbass for having one of those!!!haha, J/K
Tim
The problem was not with his opinion it was how he stated it, coming into the thread and calling us all amatuers for our "racing style" I guess you'd put it to which I pointed out here:
Had you said something like "In my experience I found that your **** will break faster by dumping it" it would have been fine, it might have even sounded like constructive critisism but instead you just made yourself sound like an ***.
I flamed him for apologizing simply because he was acting all high and mighty until many flamed him and then he recanted and backtracked apologizing.

And I have no problem with either of you other than his statement, mentioned above, but next time why dont you let big pappa stick up for himself
Old 05-03-2004, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club

damn guys,
Chill out a little. Everyone here seems to have their feathers ruffled a little too easily......it's like everyone is looking for a reason to bicker(sp?).....anyways, good luck either way South FL 02 SS......tell us what the outcome is!

Tim