Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Trans Am Vs. The Lancer

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WestsideWRX
I guess what stuck in my craw was the "***" comments. Can't we all just appreciate the good things about each others' cars without calling each other names? I am NOT a ricer. I have no fart can on my wagon...nor do I have even one tiny strip of vinyl. No neon. No wing. No spinning 20" wheel covers, or twin 18" woofers in the back seat. No NOS. No aftermarket, loud-*** BOV. No CAI. Hell, it looks pretty much like your Mom's station wagon. But, I put down 235 AWHP with less than $1500 in mods. Driving a Subaru doesn't make me anything other than a consumer...same as you.

At least you agree is is an old ladies car.

Let's look at the ladies car with forced air and the LS1 with forced air on a dyno:

I do not think I have to explain which is the ***'s (I mean old ladies car dyno).
Old 05-07-2004, 03:53 PM
STF Veteran

I'm not "a WRX guy". I'm a "car guy" who just happens to drive a WRX at the moment.

I guess what stuck in my craw was the "***" comments. Can't we all just appreciate the good things about each others' cars without calling each other names?
I totally agree, and appologize for my sarcastic comments. We've just been a little over-run lately with people who drive turbo 4s and think they are god's gift to the automobile (usually after switching from a n/a 4).

i won't say that this forum is immune from people who think anything without 8 cylinders (or even anything without a GM branded nameplate) is inferior, but on the whole this place is filled with car guys as well. it's why i stuck around here even when i was driving a ford. hell two of our moderators drive fords. heh

welcome to the forum.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:56 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by ActionJack
At least you agree is is an old ladies car.

Let's look at the ladies car with forced air and the LS1 with forced air on a dyno:
why'd you choose that dyno pic? i think they eventually got that engine up to about 780hp or so didn't they? or is that the new engine that did 780...

QMP really makes me want an 387ci (all-bore) ls1 with that big turbo of theirs. if they can get 780rwhp on 93 octane (?) with a 346 before they've finished tuning, i would imagine thay a 387 could get up to around 900rwhp or so. 900rwhp ls1....
Old 05-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MillaTK
umm... rice is more of a state of mind, and a car that has been changed... I dont think any real stock car should be called rice straight from the factory.

I understand what you are saying westside... Not everybody can launch them all that well though, and I have heard that people sometimes get a lot of wheel hop and stuff trying to launch hard. Also, an LS1 can, with good driving have pretty comparable 60' times. Plus, the guy didnt give details, so we dont know how long the race was, so all we know was in the end he won, thats it.
true enough. i wasn't trying to be an ***. i just know how hard these new AWDs launch.

peace...
Old 05-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
I totally agree, and appologize for my sarcastic comments. We've just been a little over-run lately with people who drive turbo 4s and think they are god's gift to the automobile (usually after switching from a n/a 4).

i won't say that this forum is immune from people who think anything without 8 cylinders (or even anything without a GM branded nameplate) is inferior, but on the whole this place is filled with car guys as well. it's why i stuck around here even when i was driving a ford. hell two of our moderators drive fords. heh

welcome to the forum.
Thanks. I appreciate, and accept your apology. I'll admit, I'm a bit sensitive to the ricer thing. I hate rice as much as anyone. Maybe more, since it affects how people view ME. I'll double up on my meds tomorrow, and maybe I won't let myself get pulled into the argueing again.

Richard
Old 05-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

You're comparing apples and oranges, my friend. 350 cubic inches of forced-induction V8 damn sure better beat the numbers from a FI 4-banger with half the displacement. But, don't go bragging on that dyno run to the guys in the Supra forums. They make that much HP in reverse.

And, where on earth did you find such a poor example of an EVO dyno chart? That's undoubtably from a mildly modded EVO...perhaps just an exhaust. I know for a fact there are WRX's in Houston putting down over 400 AWHP, and I'd think there would be some EVOs making more than that. Of course, their trannies are tagged for disposal, or else they're double-clutching dogboxes.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

true enough. i wasn't trying to be an ***. i just know how hard these new AWDs launch.

peace...
Cool... I dont think your an ***, you seem like a pretty cool car guy, actually. You just seem to get a bit offended by the term rice, probably because of the import you drive. Don't let it get to you though... most of us wont ever call your car rice. I have even been called a ricer before as well!!!

Welcome to the board man
Old 05-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Just for ***** 'n grins, here's a better example of a modded EVO's capabilities...

http://home.columbus.rr.com/majorblues/imgs/New.jpg

And a modded '03 WRX...

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...59_53_full.jpg
Old 05-07-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

And, where on earth did you find such a poor example of an EVO dyno chart? That's undoubtably from a mildly modded EVO...perhaps just an exhaust. I know for a fact there are WRX's in Houston putting down over 400 AWHP, and I'd think there would be some EVOs making more than that. Of course, their trannies are tagged for disposal, or else they're double-clutching dogboxes.
The chart is to show that the EVO is not "all that". You put forced air on an LS1 and the EVO is a little 4 banger screamer to catch up but cannot. There is more potential in the LS1, I hope point taken.

Can I be the first to call BS on this one? You didn't race an Evo. You raced a Lancer OZ Edition. My mother's Buick Regal will kick an OZ's ***.

But an Evo, with its little *** blower, and its little *** 4, would hand you your *** from a stop.

2nd, coming on the forum saying a guy in an LS1 cannot beat an EVO off the line on stock tires is crap unless you were there. I understand questioning a guy to try and find some BS but just because the EVO is doing 0 to 60 in 4.7 stock does not mean a stock or relatively stock cannot beat. Look at my sig, I have almost nothing in mods and when I went to the track I was on balding BFG KDWs and still did like a 4.7 for a 0 to 60. Sometimes it is the driver or road. Either way the guy beat a Lancer and if he says it is a EVO then cool.

I would love to race an EVO or a WRX but the guys in my area are all pussies driving those cars.

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
why'd you choose that dyno pic? i think they eventually got that engine up to about 780hp or so didn't they? or is that the new engine that did 780...

QMP really makes me want an 387ci (all-bore) ls1 with that big turbo of theirs. if they can get 780rwhp on 93 octane (?) with a 346 before they've finished tuning, i would imagine thay a 387 could get up to around 900rwhp or so. 900rwhp ls1....
Yeah, I took it from your link on the previous page for "project Formula" and that car is Bad A$$. The dyno for the EVO is the better one from: http://www.ktrperformance.com/servic...graph_main.htm

Pretty cool.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Man you guys are rough. I drive an Evo now and came from an LS1 for practicality reasons. Stock for stock drivers race from a stop, roll, all LS1, anything requiring handling by by LS1, Evo will kill it. Like it or not these cars do respond to mods very well, few thousand and you are at low 12's all day. Stock turbo, some guys are running 11.5's between 115-121 mph. Yes the Ls1 is the ---- we all know that but please realize these cars are different in every way. Yes the LS1 is definately in its element at the drag track, Evo is much more suited for autocross but I like most Americans love the 1/4 mile, And we have to adjust our cars to this. My best time with turbo back exhaust, very mild fuel tuning, and 19psi held to redline is 1.81 60, 1/8 at 84.96 mph, and a 12.9 @ 106.93 mph. not bad for $1300. That was my first trip to the strip in my life so I know another tenth or two is there. I also ran 2 13.0's that day. Evos in Japan run 8 and 9's. Check out www.shepracing.com, it should enlighten a few as to what these"tiny" 4g63 motors are capable of. To each his own we should all enjoy racing and cars and not act like 5th graders saying mine is better than yours. I am not biased, like cars for what they are even if they take different approaches.

Shane

Last edited by 99badta; 05-08-2004 at 01:14 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-08-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99badta
Man you guys are rough. I drive an Evo now and came from an LS1 for practicality reasons. Stock for stock drivers race from a stop, roll, all LS1, anything requiring handling by by LS1, Evo will kill it. Like it or not these cars do respond to mods very well, few thousand and you are at low 12's all day. Stock turbo, some guys are running 11.5's between 115-121 mph. Yes the Ls1 is the ---- we all know that but please realize these cars are different in every way. Yes the LS1 is definately in its element at the drag track, Evo is much more suited for autocross but I like most Americans love the 1/4 mile, And we have to adjust our cars to this. My best time with turbo back exhaust, very mild fuel tuning, and 19psi held to redline is 1.81 60, 1/8 at 84.96 mph, and a 12.9 @ 106.93 mph. not bad for $1300. That was my first trip to the strip in my life so I know another tenth or two is there. I also ran 2 13.0's that day. Evos in Japan run 8 and 9's. Check out www.shepracing.com, it should enlighten a few as to what these"tiny" 4g63 motors are capable of. To each his own we should all enjoy racing and cars and not act like 5th graders saying mine is better than yours. I am not biased, like cars for what they are even if they take different approaches.

Shane
Nice post. I do know that Evo's can be made fast for little money. Im just curious though. You said it takes like 2k to run like mid 12's or so, how much to get it into say the low 11's to high 10's? Does it go up a lot more, or does the cost stay relatively low, like an LS1? Thats something I have wondered. I think most of the guys here know what the Evo is capable of, just don't want to admit it. I personally don't like the idea of trying to make a 4 banger really quick, but the evo is turbocharged from the factory, so that helps. It is just disheartening when the LS1 guys can get lik 60-80HP out of a cam, and well, if I were to invest in a cam, I would get like 10HP How sad is that?
Old 05-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Teching In

$2500-$3000 low 12's', high 11's. Alot depends on how high end the parts are that you want. Kinda like Pacesetters vs. QTP or Kooks. Those prices are pertaining to higher quality. As far as cost to go low 11's anywhere from $5500-$8000 again depending on what path you want to take and how deep your pockets are. Again those are for hight quality parts. I have a few buddies with LS1's, And honestly we have compared costs on mods. If you are talking similar quality per vehicle they aren't that far off. Meaning A good turbo compared to a good set of stage II head and cam package. Example you can go with turbo kit which includes new Manifold, New fittings, wastgates, etc., that may run you anywhere from $3500-$6000, depending on how far you want to take it. Or you could just by the turbo for $1300 forget the rest of it and still gain a ton of HP. When it all comes down to it its what you want in the car and how high end you want to go.

Shane