Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2014 C7 Corvette vs 2014 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by "MAC"
So you dont think power has anything to do with what class its in?
Here...^
Old 11-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003Cobro
Here...^
last I checked thats a question not me making a statement on how power classes are legit. but do i believe that power is involved in making classes yes i do but do i believe thats the only reason for making classes NO. the only time a power class is legit is when you are comparing two or more cars for that very reason only and if thats the case then thats the ONLY time the GT500 would be considered to compete with the Viper, Vette, Lambo etc.... (any production car with 600hp to 699 hp)
Old 11-10-2013, 11:59 PM
***Repost Police***

I could care less about power how i compare two cars is this the purpose of what the car is built for from FACTORY.

Track cars from factory (except cobra jet and copo)

Zr1, 1LE, Boss 302/Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Viper ACR/ACR-X/TA

Show me where the makers of the gt500 have said that the gt500 is a purpose built track car and ill gladly say i have been an idoit and im wrong until then opinions are like ******** everyone has one
Jesus Christ, the CHIEF ENGINEER of the ZL1 said that it was designed to compete against the GT500. Would you like to tell Al Oppenheiser that he was wrong?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:00 AM
***Repost Police***

last I checked thats a question not me making a statement on how power classes are legit. but do i believe that power is involved in making classes yes i do but do i believe thats the only reason for making classes NO. the only time a power class is legit is when you are comparing two or more cars for that very reason only and if thats the case then thats the ONLY time the GT500 would be considered to compete with the Viper, Vette, Lambo etc.... (any production car with 600hp to 699 hp)
This isn't Forza
Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Jesus Christ, the CHIEF ENGINEER of the ZL1 said that it was designed to compete against the GT500. Would you like to tell Al Oppenheiser that he was wrong?
You clearly cant read and your as bad as auto and snake95 and BTW he also said the ZL1 is a purpose built track car dumbass

This isn't Forza
no **** sherlock who said it was? oh thats right not me. you clearly cant read or just cant understand English and yet you try to be funny and yet your not
Old 11-11-2013, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 159 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by OVA1
Well, in all honesty the Z is presently back under the knife.

But Lloyd has the heads ready and is presently working out the Valve train. Should be back in house in a couple of weeks… Can't WAIT!

Tons of new stuff goin' on in the suspension dep't… .

Golly… As a Z28, I suppose that puts me in the same class as the Ford 5.0.

ROFLMNAO!~

I can't even finish that. Too funny.
you need a lot more airflow to take advantage of those cubes.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:13 AM
***Repost Police***

You clearly cant read and your as bad as auto and snake95 and BTW he also said the ZL1 is a purpose built track car dumbass

no **** sherlock who said it was? oh thats right not me. you clearly cant read or just cant understand English and yet you try to be funny and yet your not
You clearly forget the thread where you argued with me for 7 pages about the GT500 not being assembled at the Ford factory with Ford parts just like the other Mustangs. And when it all came down to it, you were mistakenly posting information about the Shelby GT (different car) that you read on Wikipedia. And this was after I told you at the very beginning of the discussion that I didn't even want to have it because I knew what would inevitably happen. This is the same scenario.

Edit: And there are some things where "IMO" doesn't matter. Certain things do not come down to opinion. Just like before, you are simply wrong. There is no reason to carry this discussion any further.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why do you still bother?
Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
ovas car runs fine.

I almost lost my coffee when I read this

396 stalled automatic built cars going mid 7s is

"Just fine " Only on LS1tech
Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

I never got a solid answer on my '98 Mustang/Camaro question. Just the usual long, drawn-out response from OVA that doubled back on itself and went nowhere. The V6 Mustang and F-body were in the same class '96-'98, and the F-body kicked its ***. The GT was in the same class as the Z28 and T/A, and also got its *** kicked. The Cobra was in the same class as the SS and WS6, and against the LT1s was only a little behind. In '98 it was even further behind. That is just a fact. Why these two people can't accept that the same is true with the Camaro now is beyond me.
Ya did get an answer. It was in depth and detailed.

It was the one that explained that GM introduced a new engine design in '98.

A design which dramatically improved the engine's means to breath, therefore to produce more power.

This being distinct from what Ford did in the new 500, wherein it opened up the cylinders on the same-old engine and slapped on a bigger blower.

Ford was phoning it in throughout the 90s and as a result, got their *** consistently handed to them.

The new Ford GT500 is, I believe, a sign that Ford… in 2013, (someone call NASA and find out how long its been since '96-98) has FINALLY decided to get back in the game.

It hasn't done anything particularly new YET! But I believe that the signs indicate that they've got something cookin'… and let me be the first to say: "WELCOME BACK! Better late let than Never and WHAT TOOK SO LONG?".

Also… just to rub it in, The GT500 is a fast car. Proving once again that anything can be fast if ya slap a big enough blower on it.

On a side note… Did anyone see the video of that GT500 beating the new base C7 (LT1) Vette? It took all day, but by goodness! It finally got there!

Good on ya Blue Oval!

That's one fine blower ya got there!

(Who makes it?)

Last edited by OVA1; 11-11-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawhead
I almost lost my coffee when I read this

396 stalled automatic built cars going mid 7s is

"Just fine " Only on LS1tech
how wild of a valvetrain did he have on those cubes? the cubes are meaningless if you don't let it breathe.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

you need a lot more airflow to take advantage of those cubes.
(Well… Truth is, I agree. And as a result I've ordered up "A Lot More Airflow"… It's great stuff and I think it's going to go great with the PA.

PLUS!

And this, I feel, is key…

By actually tightening down the intake this time. We should see some marginal improvement in fuel economy, particularly under power.

Maybe even make power…

While I will likely still seal up the intake with a nice bead of silicon, I intend to tie a ribbon around my finger, this time, to remind me to finish torquing down the intake.

And that'll be nice.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

lol right on.

you going with the full sausage LE package?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM
7 Second Club

Received 315 Likes on 244 Posts

Well said sir… The same is true for the ZL1. Much more car than the 500. And, what's more, it can be made to be faster… and this is key… it can be made faster than the GT500 can be made to go.

And that's just because: IT'S A BETTER CAR!
Actually the ZL1 is as fast as a stock long block, no nitrous 2013+ GT500.

Fastest ZL1 currently in captivity, was accomplished by building the entire engine (sans block and maybe crank), porting the 1.9L blower and over spinning it with the maximum pulley combination that is currently available and a 100+hp shot of nitrous.

Talking about larger blowers for the ZL1:
a dude in the middle east slapped a 4.0L whipple on his and made 984whp until the engine blew up. (all supporting mods)

Another dude went to the ZR1 2.3L TVS and made 807rwhp until the engine blew up. (all supporting mods)

KB makes a 3.6L kit for the ZL1 but I haven't seen anyone use it...yet.

Moral of this story is that you are correct about making the ZL1 fast, in fact, just as fast as a stock long block, no nitrous 2013+ GT500.

History shows that the ZL1 won't survive at those elevated levels for very long though, even with a nearly maximum effort engine build.

I must be butthurt with such a long reply.....LOL
Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

I maintain that gm effed up by not putting the ls9 in the gt500. the zl1 historically is supposed to get the best engine that gm made at the time, and the lsa is not that.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Ya did get an answer. It was in depth and detailed.

It was the one that explained that GM introduced a new engine design in '98.

A design which dramatically improved the engine's means to breath, therefore to produce more power.

This being distinct from what Ford did in the new 500, wherein it opened up the cylinders on the same-old engine and slapped on a bigger blower.

Ford was phoning it in throughout the 90s and as a result, got their *** consistently handed to them.

The new Ford GT500 is, I believe, a sign that Ford… in 2013, (someone call NASA and find out how long its been since '96-98) has FINALLY decided to get back in the game.

It hasn't done anything particularly new YET! But I believe that the signs indicate that they've got something cookin'… and let me be the first to say: "WELCOME BACK! Better late let than Never and WHAT TOOK SO LONG?".

Also… just to rub it in, The GT500 is a fast car. Proving once again that anything can be fast if ya slap a big enough blower on it.

On a side note… Did anyone see the video of that GT500 beating the new base C7 (LT1) Vette? It took all day, but by goodness! It finally got there!

Good on ya Blue Oval!

That's one fine blower ya got there!

(Who makes it?)

Actually Ford was kicking GMs *** in ragards to the pony cars in the 90s in the most important part. SALES. You could build a badass Mustang using factory parts as well(FMS,Ford Motorsport). The fastest pony car you could buy from a dealership with a warranty was a Mustang(ie Steeda,Saleen).

GT500 and ZL1 are competitors. PERIOD. Doesn't matter if one has 800HP and the other 300. They are the top of the line pony cars.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I maintain that gm effed up by not putting the ls9 in the gt500. the zl1 historically is supposed to get the best engine that gm made at the time, and the lsa is not that.
Pic of said GM GT500?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

[/B][/CENTER]
I was thinking the same thing when the 2010 Camaros came back! What took so long? Why did it fall off the face of the Earth? Why didn't the LS1 f-body sell enough to keep it available? All I read on this site is how it's the best car made to never sell (whoever said that, I liked it, I can't remember which user it was).

We, on this site, are the minority (car enthusiasts, can appreciate the entire car), but GM and Ford give precisely 0 ***** about a bunch of gear heads bickering on a site (as you so eloquently said before.)

Dey want da money, honey, and if it ain't sellin', give it a rest...and so the Camaro did...it took a 7 year nap and returned in the form of a tank.

The GT500 is atop the ZL1 right now. Competition is good, it breeds progress. In no time, I predict the Camaro will be back on top, and back and forth and back and forth.

(...aaaaaand bighammer with the Mustang 2 in 3....2....1....)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

lol right on.

you going with the full sausage LE package?
Oh Dude… I didn't want to get into this until it was done, BUT…

Brand new AFR210 base castings which were sent directly to LE for his signature wiz-kid magic. He's setting up the valve train now and, just to be sure… spec'd us up a nice little cam, to top it off.

You should have seen the plugs on that thing when I pulled the heads. SOAKED in Fuel. We knew it was dumping fuel…, just couldn't figure out why.

So, when I was yanking the top end to send the old heads off to the buyer, every single one of the bolts on the intake were finger tight.

Yeah… that's a little trick I did all by myself!

I had taken an enormous amount of time to manicure the intake gasket. Using my camera probe to look into each runner to be sure that, NO WHERE, was there any sign of overhanging gasket which might interrupt airflow.

It was, if I do say so myself… and rest assured: I DO, PERFECTION! Within the scope of human capability.

Then, I carefully applied the silicone 360* around the outside of the intake and set it on the engine, double checking with the camera that everything had remained still and that each runner was spot on, finger tightened the bolts and left to dry over night.

At which time THE CELEBRATION BEGAN!

Oh the Beer was a flowin' and the shots they were a slidin' down SMOoothe as BUTTERMILK.

The MOTOR: SHE WAS DONE!

When I recovered, I apparently never got back around to actually torquing those bolts down and I can only assume that under load the intake was leakin' like a sieve.

So… I expect to see some marked improvement in AF, if nothin' else.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

that's correct s95. the mustang took a hiatus in the 70's, and it definitely should have taken one from 96-2010.

Quick Reply: 2014 C7 Corvette vs 2014 GT500