Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2014 C7 Corvette vs 2014 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 159 Likes on 109 Posts

wanna have a good time? trying launching a stock geared cobra with street tires.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:27 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe he can't drive either lol
Old 11-13-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by OVA1
Huh… I never had any trouble with 96 Cobras… when my car was stock.
I never lost to a LT1 one with a 96-98 Cobra so we are even(stock to stock). Like I said its a very difficult car to drive stock. I listened to some of the racers of those cars(Bob Cosby,Mike Smith,David T.Modfather back in the late 90s) on how to launch and where to shift. I ran mid 13s at 102-103 MPH in 12 different ones on radials since 1998. I saw Mike Smith run low 13s at 104 MPH at Cecil many times against LS1.com members. No LT1 stock is going to match that. Does that mean a stock LT1 will always lose to one on the street? Nope. Easier car to launch and drive.

Originally Posted by big hammer
you have to take those cobras like 3-400 rpm past redline to make them do anything.

and the ss lt1 did have a hp advantage over the base model.
BINGO

I disagree. The induction is not ideal unlike the WS6 LT1. In fact in my experience adding a SLP CAI/K&N CAI was worth more power. Plus the SS was heavier than a Z28 with same options(wheels and rear wing were culprit).

I am not a nut swinger. I have experience with both. I have ran high 13s in a stock LT1 single cat M6 many times as well. Only thing I hate about LT1 Fbodies is putting headers on one. A fight from start to finish
Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Geez Mike, you're such a Ford
I thought I was a C4 nut swinger
Old 11-13-2013, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I never lost to a LT1 one with a 96-98 Cobra so we are even(stock to stock). Like I said its a very difficult car to drive stock. I listened to some of the racers of those cars(Bob Cosby,Mike Smith,David T.Modfather back in the late 90s) on how to launch and where to shift. I ran mid 13s at 102-103 MPH in 12 different ones on radials since 1998. I saw Mike Smith run low 13s at 104 MPH at Cecil many times against LS1.com members. No LT1 stock is going to match that. Does that mean a stock LT1 will always lose to one on the street? Nope. Easier car to launch and drive.
Well I didn't get into the race until 05, so I can't speak to the launch years.

But, when I got the car, it had CAI, a screen-delete on the maf, dead AC, 3 steel 20s, a salad shooter on the passenger front, a TA aftermarket hood and that sweet giant spoiler. One of the first cars I raced was a Black on Black Cobra, which I later learned was a '96.

I took a car off the light and walked it to two… when we both had to slow for traffic. The driver seemed surprised… asked what I had in it, which at the time, I had no idea… told him I'd just got it and didn't know. But was a great guy, quite gracious, shot me a thumbs up and asked if I ever got out to the track. Which again, at the time I didn't know we even HAD a track… .

I was already in love with the car, but that sealed the deal… as I had no idea where it stacked up against its peers, particularly the Mustang and that experience remained consistent throughout its brief stock period.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
I dunno. just not impressed with the cobras. my buddies 96 with gears, dr's, aluminum flywheel, etc had a hard time hitting 98 mph.
You're such a clown
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I didn't get into the race until 05, so I can't speak to the launch years.

But, when I got the car, it had CAI, a screen-delete on the maf, dead AC, 3 steel 20s, a salad shooter on the passenger front, a TA aftermarket hood and that sweet giant spoiler. One of the first cars I raced was a Black on Black Cobra, which I later learned was a '96.

I took a car off the light and walked it to two… when we both had to slow for traffic. The driver seemed surprised… asked what I had in it, which at the time, I had no idea… told him I'd just got it and didn't know. But was a great guy, quite gracious, shot me a thumbs up and asked if I ever got out to the track. Which again, at the time I didn't know we even HAD a track… .

I was already in love with the car, but that sealed the deal… as I had no idea where it stacked up against its peers, particularly the Mustang and that experience remained consistent throughout its brief stock period.

Be honest and penny for your thoughts during header install on your Z? LOL.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Hey!

You can **** your own bed, if you're looking for a brand new straight-line mauler:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/17819718-post1.html

According to the OP. The COPO Camaro has, as an option, a 350 with a 4.0L Blower.

I suppose ya could choose the 427 and the 4.0L blower… but it'd likely come at a stout premium and, besides, who'd ya race?

Last edited by OVA1; 11-13-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Be honest and penny for your thoughts during header install on your Z? LOL.
Headers came after I found the track. I blame that damn clock. All I wanted was to go a Little Faster…

LOL! Everyone said: "YOu need a set of Headers", so I rejected the notion of spending a thousand bucks on parts for a car that I paid two thousand bucks for… and found a set of pre-loved Hookers. Which lead to the first build… because I snapped the heads off of several bolts taking off the driver side mani.

But you're correct… after the rebuild, which really only amounted to refreshing the block (Hot-tanked, honed cyl, Seals, Bearings, Rings, Mild cam, lifters, pushrods ) valve job on the heads, new rockers (1.6), seats, springs, retainers… Stall, ewp, etc, etc… it widened the margin of consistent victory over the forces of 'stang… k.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey!

You can **** your own bed, if you're looking for a brand new straight-line mauler:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/17819718-post1.html

According to the OP. The COPO Camaro has, as an option, a 350 with a 4.0L Blower.

I suppose ya could choose the 427 and the 4.0L blower… but it'd likely come at a stout premium and, besides, who'd ya race?
The Ford Cobrajet is the competitor to the COPO.. and it hands the COPO its *** on a silver platter.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 PM
***Repost Police***

I'll address this here since this was the thread it was referencing;
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
You asked for a blower cammed boosted 4.8....so I gave you one.

And yes I am the King
No, he never asked for a boosted 4.8. You asked this ridiculous question;
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Has anyone ever tried to run a termi motor n/a?
Which he responded to;
Originally Posted by Lawhead
A motor built around boost they always say that **** lol

How many 4.8s with a blower cam and 8.5:1 compression are out there setting records ?
Now anybody with a brain would assume that since he was referencing what it would be like to run a boosted Cobra without the blower, he would be talking about an N/A 4.8. AND, he never said anything about the 4.8 being boosted.
Originally Posted by Lawhead
Truck has a blower cam and 8.5:1 compression ?
Still don't see any mention of being boosted. Now I'm sure you're just trolling Doug, so I'm really only responding on the (hopefully) off chance that you aren't trolling.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
The Ford Cobrajet is the competitor to the COPO.. and it hands the COPO its *** on a silver platter.
Does it really?

Sounds like a fast car.

On what setup? Has it handed it it's ***, against the 427 with the 4.0L whipple?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I'll address this here since this was the thread it was referencing;

No, he never asked for a boosted 4.8. You asked this ridiculous question;

Which he responded to;

Now anybody with a brain would assume that since he was referencing what it would be like to run a boosted Cobra without the blower, he would be talking about an N/A 4.8. AND, he never said anything about the 4.8 being boosted.

Still don't see any mention of being boosted. Now I'm sure you're just trolling Doug, so I'm really only responding on the (hopefully) off chance that you aren't trolling.
Actually, it started when I noted that Cobrahs are NOT ****, without the blower… and asked Lawnhead if he'd like to test his Cobrah in a head to head run against my Miata. The only requirement being that he'd have to pull the belt off his blower and stage up.

It's no big deal… honestly. Because in simple fact, absent the blower… the Cobrah is just another NA Ford, wishing it had a blower so it could compete with Camaros.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Does it really?

Sounds like a fast car.

On what setup? Has it handed it it's ***, against the 427 with the 4.0L whipple?
The cobra jet destroys the copo.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Does it really?

Sounds like a fast car.

427 doesn't come with a blower and none come with a 4.0 Whipple. Quoted from article on the new COPO's.

"Under the hood, the COPO has a naturally aspirated 427, 350 or 396 cubic-inch engine or a supercharged version of the 350 cubic-inch engine. It will feature a 2.9L Whipple screw-type supercharger. Buyers figure out which engine they need based on their intended racing class."
Old 11-13-2013, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does it really?

Sounds like a fast car.

The Cobrajet has run 8's out of the box. The Copo isn't quite as fast as the Cobrajet.. although both a quick as hell... but track only cars. Will never see one of them on the street.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
The cobra jet destroys the copo.
Yeah, I've been lookin' at it… And it's true. That is a fine drag setup. High 7s. 0-60 less than a second. Bitch is fast.

BUT!

I am ONE POWERBALL Winning ticket away from changing THAT ****!

Just so ya know… There could be a shake up comin' on that score.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck buying one of only 69 made. You better have high connections in GM!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 PM
***Repost Police***

Actually, it started when I noted that Cobrahs are NOT ****, without the blower… and asked Lawnhead if he'd like to test his Cobrah in a head to head run against my Miata. The only requirement being that he'd have to pull the belt off his blower and stage up.

It's no big deal… honestly. Because in simple fact, absent the blower… the Cobrah is just another NA Ford, wishing it had a blower so it could compete with Camaros.
Wasn't paying attention to your comment, honestly.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown383LS1
427 doesn't come with a blower and none come with a 4.0 Whipple. Quoted from article on the new COPO's.

"Under the hood, the COPO has a naturally aspirated 427, 350 or 396 cubic-inch engine or a supercharged version of the 350 cubic-inch engine. It will feature a 2.9L Whipple screw-type supercharger. Buyers figure out which engine they need based on their intended racing class."
Thus 'the stout premium…' thing I mentioned. But it's true Chevy doesn't offer it as an established package. I wonder why? My guess is that it's a rotational mass issue.

I am here to tell you however, I intend to put 300 million dollars into finding out why… as soon as my retirement program kicks in.

Quick Reply: 2014 C7 Corvette vs 2014 GT500