Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2014 C7 Corvette vs 2014 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 159 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by OVA1
Oh Dude… I didn't want to get into this until it was done, BUT…

Brand new AFR210 base castings which were sent directly to LE for his signature wiz-kid magic. He's setting up the valve train now and, just to be sure… spec'd us up a nice little cam, to top it off.

You should have seen the plugs on that thing when I pulled the heads. SOAKED in Fuel. We knew it was dumping fuel…, just couldn't figure out why.

So, when I was yanking the top end to send the old heads off to the buyer, every single one of the bolts on the intake were finger tight.

Yeah… that's a little trick I did all by myself!

I had taken an enormous amount of time to manicure the intake gasket. Using my camera probe to look into each runner to be sure that, NO WHERE, was there any sign of overhanging gasket which might interrupt airflow.

It was, if I do say so myself… and rest assured: I DO, PERFECTION! Within the scope of human capability.

Then, I carefully applied the silicone 360* around the outside of the intake and set it on the engine, double checking with the camera that everything had remained still and that each runner was spot on, finger tightened the bolts and left to dry over night.

At which time THE CELEBRATION BEGAN!

Oh the Beer was a flowin' and the shots they were a slidin' down SMOoothe as BUTTERMILK.

The MOTOR: SHE WAS DONE!

When I recovered, I apparently never got back around to actually torquing those bolts down and I can only assume that under load the intake was leakin' like a sieve.

So… I expect to see some marked improvement in AF, if nothin' else.

that'll be great when it's done. a lot more fun than the silver cobra crew that don't know how to work on their own cars.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 AM
7 Second Club

Received 315 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Pic of said GM GT500?
That LS9 would make the GT500 unbeatable!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by islander033
lol I just caught what I wrote there. not even going to edit, anyways boy!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking the same thing when the 2010 Camaros came back! What took so long?
Well you were in good company there, friend.

Why did it fall off the face of the Earth?

We've all wondered that.

My feelings were that the General pulled the F-body out of a sense of fairness. So as to not be seen by the General's Public as those who'd RUN UP THE SCORE, when a competitor was down.

Why didn't the LS1 f-body sell enough to keep it available? All I read on this site is how it's the best car made to never sell (whoever said that, I liked it, I can't remember which user it was).
Well, it was a lot of car and it's price tag was beyond what the kids could or were willing to pay. I guess… I wouldn't give 30 large for one. That's for DAMN SURE.

I still won't do it. I'll buy me a 2010 F-body, most likely some time in 2020…

When the rest of you kids are focusing on hitting 88 mph… I'll still be looking to trim some time off the 1/8th mile ET. (Not big on change… Nor hope for all that matters.)

We, on this site, are the minority (car enthusiasts, can appreciate the entire car), but GM and Ford give precisely 0 ***** about a bunch of gear heads bickering on a site (as you so eloquently said before.)
That is fricken brilliant! (And thank you…)

Dey want da money, honey, and if it ain't sellin', give it a rest...and so the Camaro did...it took a 7 year nap and returned in the form of a tank.

The GT500 is atop the ZL1 right now. Competition is good, it breeds progress. In no time, I predict the Camaro will be back on top, and back and forth and back and forth.

(...aaaaaand bighammer with the Mustang 2 in 3....2....1....)
Ok… I can live witdat.

Ford needed one… the opportunity presented itself and for once… it was the perfect time to **** the bed, bore out the engine and slap a bog ol'e blower on the flag ship.

It worked, but it has always worked. That's what they've done for over a decade.

I, and I think you'll agree, just believe that its come to the time when such tactics will see diminishing returns… .

But TODAY! The GT500 is, without question… the fastest stock pony Car in the biz… and this without regard to it having been designed OUT of the Pony Car class, so as to push the Vette line.

This as a means to get some badly needed attention, in order to remain relevant.

Glad we found so much to agree upon. Great points… .
Old 11-11-2013, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by big hammer
that'll be great when it's done. a lot more fun than the silver cobra crew that don't know how to work on their own cars.
Pfttt.. No kiddin'… Right?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by OVA1
Oh Dude… I didn't want to get into this until it was done, BUT…

Brand new AFR210 base castings which were sent directly to LE for his signature wiz-kid magic. He's setting up the valve train now and, just to be sure… spec'd us up a nice little cam, to top it off.

You should have seen the plugs on that thing when I pulled the heads. SOAKED in Fuel. We knew it was dumping fuel…, just couldn't figure out why.

So, when I was yanking the top end to send the old heads off to the buyer, every single one of the bolts on the intake were finger tight.

Yeah… that's a little trick I did all by myself!

I had taken an enormous amount of time to manicure the intake gasket. Using my camera probe to look into each runner to be sure that, NO WHERE, was there any sign of overhanging gasket which might interrupt airflow.

It was, if I do say so myself… and rest assured: I DO, PERFECTION! Within the scope of human capability.

Then, I carefully applied the silicone 360* around the outside of the intake and set it on the engine, double checking with the camera that everything had remained still and that each runner was spot on, finger tightened the bolts and left to dry over night.

At which time THE CELEBRATION BEGAN!

Oh the Beer was a flowin' and the shots they were a slidin' down SMOoothe as BUTTERMILK.

The MOTOR: SHE WAS DONE!

When I recovered, I apparently never got back around to actually torquing those bolts down and I can only assume that under load the intake was leakin' like a sieve.

So… I expect to see some marked improvement in AF, if nothin' else.
Nice! The other day I was checking my cooling system after installing my brand new purdy & shiny aluminum radiator. Just blowing some air through a hose to check for loss of pressurization (nothing technical, just the eye-ball test sort of way) and for the LIFE of me, couldn't figure out why it was leaking air & not holding pressure.
Both hoses to rad were good, heater hoses good, water pump hoses good...but WAIT! I had to switch from the 95 style heater tube to a fox one when I installed the motor in the fox, and the fox has this gay little provision for TB cooling that I've always immediately disabled/deleted (as has anyone else I've ever talked to) protruding from the tube. JB weld & presto! She holds!
Now, dizzy install, o2 harness install, intake tubing, and e-fan wiring left! If I wasn't so damn busy all day and evenings with class, it woulda been done a month ago BTW Ova, what new gears are you going with? I didn't catch that anywhere yet.
that's correct s95. the mustang took a hiatus in the 70's, and it definitely should have taken one from 96-2010.
You won't seen me throw punches to defend the Mustangs of that era. They weren't as bad as LS1 tech brainwashing attempts to show them...well, the 96-98 GT's were.
Who's part of that crew?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

OMG! We could turn it on its *** and reinstate the Shuttle Program!

SOMEONE GET NASA ON THE PHONE!

LET'S LIGHT THIS CANDLE!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done plenty to my cars

But hey I bet you look awesome holding Pom Poms with your cheerleader outfit on.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawhead
I've done plenty to my cars

But hey I bet you look awesome holding Pom Poms with your cheerleader outfit on.
I do. I should post some selfies.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

hammer is so hard to **** with because he takes everything in stride. Damn you.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Didn't you just buy a HCI Lt1

Pot is meeting kettle here !
Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by "MAC"
lol **** you still beat me with out the blower them new 5.0's are strong.
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

It's a 5.4! LOL!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM
7 Second Club

Received 315 Likes on 244 Posts

Pics or gtfo!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Nice! The other day I was checking my cooling system after installing my brand new purdy & shiny aluminum radiator. Just blowing some air through a hose to check for loss of pressurization (nothing technical, just the eye-ball test sort of way) and for the LIFE of me, couldn't figure out why it was leaking air & not holding pressure.
Both hoses to rad were good, heater hoses good, water pump hoses good...but WAIT! I had to switch from the 95 style heater tube to a fox one when I installed the motor in the fox, and the fox has this gay little provision for TB cooling that I've always immediately disabled/deleted (as has anyone else I've ever talked to) protruding from the tube. JB weld & presto! She holds!
Now, dizzy install, o2 harness install, intake tubing, and e-fan wiring left! If I wasn't so damn busy all day and evenings with class, it woulda been done a month ago BTW Ova, what new gears are you going with? I didn't catch that anywhere yet.
LOL! Tell me about it Brother… Life's HARD! And lemme tell ya, to make it EVER so much Harder… ADD SHOTS! At 53, I don't wake up the next day, a little mussed, but ready to roll after 2:00pm.

No… I am ready to roll after a liver transplant or 2 days… which ever comes first.

Going wit duh 4.30s. That way I've still got some force-multiplying gear effect on the 25" Nitto out on the street and will be sittin' on a 4.10-ish with the 28s at the track, with the dual dumps opening things up nicely.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Didn't you just buy a HCI Lt1

Pot is meeting kettle here !

I didn't buy it. I traded a sled for it because he was a friend of mine and needed money.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Pics or gtfo!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

ROFLMNAO!

POST O'THE DAY!

Selfies…
Old 11-11-2013, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

I didn't buy it. I traded a sled for it because he was a friend of mine and needed money.
Weird I did the same thing with my Cobra guys machine shop took a dive after medical issues

But hey you acquired a built car and I'm the bad guy
I just happened to get a faster car that brings the hate !
Old 11-11-2013, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

ROFLMNAO!

Oh God… the records just don't hold up like they used to…

RE-POST O'TheDAY!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Weird I did the same thing with my Cobra guys machine shop took a dive after medical issues

But hey you acquired a built car and I'm the bad guy
I just happened to get a faster car that brings the hate !

difference is that it was slow when I bought it, and it's still slow.

Quick Reply: 2014 C7 Corvette vs 2014 GT500