Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2014 Stingray vs. 2013 Mustang 5.0 vs. Z06's vs. COPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not trying to start a war of finances here, guess I'm just upset ill never be able to afford a new vette!!!

Wah wah wah!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not comparable in almost every way! Look at those pics, the only thing that they share in common IMO is the color. Two totally different cars. Nice video! Still waiting to get a good look at the C7 in person! I have only seen two passing me on the highway. Not to many of them yet out here in Colorado.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hell I've seen them a few times here in michigan..and its winter.

Corvette is crazy cheap when you think about it.

A V6 Z71 extended cab Silverado is $40,000. 55k for a C7 is a steal.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
hell I've seen them a few times here in michigan..and its winter.

Corvette is crazy cheap when you think about it.

A V6 Z71 extended cab Silverado is $40,000. 55k for a C7 is a steal.
That is about as apples to oranges of a comparison as the $100k C7Z vs the $300k Ferrari...
Old 01-19-2014, 04:36 AM
On The Tree

I'm sure I'll get hated on for this but even if I could afford a new Z06, I wouldn't buy one.

I just have a problem with buying something and it losing value, or me losing money. I think high end cars are nice, but they really aren't for me. I'd much rather have per se' a mid year Corvette, Fastback Mustang or a 1st Gen Camero. These cars will never lose their value and will actually gain in value.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Heater
I just have a problem with buying something and it losing value, or me losing money.
Why are you in the car hobby then?

Not a dig at you, just kind of wondering the same about myself as I hate investments that lose money as well
Old 01-19-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RJDio
True. It is just different financial ideology. I'm old school, think things should be paid for with cash, own my home outright, etc....I have a neighbor that is a gen Y'er, masters deg in Biz and owns 2 successful businesses. Very smart and successful guy. At a Christmas gathering I had a disagreement with him regarding 'owning' things. He could pay cash for everything, but his view is to pay the minimum on everything, don't really 'own' anything, let the banks own it and take all the risks. I said that was what caused our banking collapse, and he agreed but his view is based more on business and if things get really bad he walks away with his cash while I'm left trying to sell everything. He is playing by the rules the banks themselves set up. When I see pro athletes, Kanye, Nic Cage, etc. go bankrupt, they take away their 'things' but they are still cash 'rich'...I sorta get it.
I just bought a new truck and financed 30k of it at 2.04 percent and a 517 a month payment. my old ford died I need a new one bought a 3500 gmc W/t with a few options this time. I see a huge difference between a truck or a car you need and vett or a camaro which are toys IMHO.

But there is also a huge difference between my fathers generation and mine. My father work for verizon which when he started was AT&T. he worked there 32 years and started with no degree. You cant even get in with out a degree these days. He was making 120k a year back in 2001. I have a degree and I cant seem to make more then 45k at my job. Finding a job that pays that good is hard. So I agree with someone who said 100k might as well be 300 if I cant afford it I cant afford it. I also dont see buying a 51k car sports car the same as buying a 51k truck its a luxury item but like I said thats my opinion.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Teching In

It's smart business to always hang onto your cash.why pay 100k upfront for a vehicle that deprecates when I can finance it for 0-3.9% APR? You can get at least a 10% annual return with that money from a financial investment firm( not including possible tax deductions if you own a business). So technically in 5-10yrs. You get the car for free because you didn't pay cash for it upfront. Not old school but definitely smart money wise.
Originally Posted by RJDio
True. It is just different financial ideology. I'm old school, think things should be paid for with cash, own my home outright, etc....I have a neighbor that is a gen Y'er, masters deg in Biz and owns 2 successful businesses. Very smart and successful guy. At a Christmas gathering I had a disagreement with him regarding 'owning' things. He could pay cash for everything, but his view is to pay the minimum on everything, don't really 'own' anything, let the banks own it and take all the risks. I said that was what caused our banking collapse, and he agreed but his view is based more on business and if things get really bad he walks away with his cash while I'm left trying to sell everything. He is playing by the rules the banks themselves set up. When I see pro athletes, Kanye, Nic Cage, etc. go bankrupt, they take away their 'things' but they are still cash 'rich'...I sorta get it.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nathanWS6
It's smart business to always hang onto your cash.why pay 100k upfront for a vehicle that deprecates when I can finance it for 0-3.9% APR? You can get at least a 10% annual return with that money from a financial investment firm( not including possible tax deductions if you own a business). So technically in 5-10yrs. You get the car for free because you didn't pay cash for it upfront. Not old school but definitely smart money wise.
It really depends on the person's situation.

Financing is still just that - financing. It is DEBT. How people tend to care about debt really depends upon their living situation and job security.

I grew up with the old man telling me if I can't buy it with cash, I didn't earn it - but I also look at it investment wise like you seem to be. I financed my jetski solely to build credit and because what I am making in the market far surpasses my interest rate. Same can be applied to vehicles, mortgages, etc.

All really comes down to the amount of risk each person wants to take on given their specific situation
Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Cool video...
Old 01-19-2014, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Why are you in the car hobby then?

Not a dig at you, just kind of wondering the same about myself as I hate investments that lose money as well

I love cars, but just because I love cars, doesn't mean that I can't be smart with my money.

I tend to like lower level performance cars and try to buy them after they have lost all the value that they are going to lose.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Great video.

Quick Reply: 2014 Stingray vs. 2013 Mustang 5.0 vs. Z06's vs. COPS