Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I got drug, and I'm butt hurt. Real butt hurt. Feelings hurt bad.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

You can do it for 1k, stock with a nitrous kit and tune it yourself. Lol
Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 AM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
I know all dynos can read different, but a friend of mine had Speed Inc fit his '10 SS LS3 with 238/244 cam, UD pulley, 1 7/8" long tubes, 3" ORX, Magnaflow catback, coldair intake, tuned on there Dynojet it made 475whp. Besides pushrods, plugs and wires the car was otherwise stock. That **** cost waaaaay over $1000. Not every "cam only" LS3 Camaro is getting 500whp, and certainly not for $1000. Heck a dyno tune usually costs $400-500 alone, cam itself is $350-425, not to mention all the gaskets and bolts that need replaced. $1000 for 500whp, who is that guy trying to fool?
Dude, under $1000 means buying **** off of CL, Ebay and junk yards...the cost of dyno toons don't count in the LSx world. lol
Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4PointSlow
We are comparing the LS3 and the 5.0 Coyote, let's not stray off topic.

Here is a dynograph of a stock LS3 and a stock 5.0.

They make seem peak #'s, but under the curve there is simply no comparison. LS3 takes the cake.

The 5.0 would not do so well with the extra weight, 20-22 inch wheels, big brakes, etc. It's torque curve just isn't up to snuff with an LS3.

How is a 5th gen going to be faster with less power everywhere in the curve, as well as a 10% cut in torque throughout the curve on top of that?

Yet a stock 5.0 with 4 passengers can still beat a stock camaro ss because it needs the torque to move that heavy pig. I am sure if ford was making a heavier car the engine choice might be a little different.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

That car by jpc does not have a 5.0 liter in it, it's a 318 ci custom built motor by them and RGR. You need to get the facts straight. Even then it did it on a hub bearing dyno dynamics dyno not a normal dynojet.
Whine all you want... The engine was designed by Ford and is a 5L Ford built block with more cubes... kinda like an LS3 punched to 7L... it's possible, oddly enough.

Who cares about a "normal dynojet" in the 1st place? The power can be figured by using the weight(3,030), the 1/4 mile ET(9.9) and the mph(137)... no actual dyno needed. That car SMASHED 550whp.

You claimed it didn't... you were wrong. Bottom line: As it stands, the Camaro SS simply cannot keep up with the Mustang GT in N/A racing or in FI racing. That's why each company makes other models... so they can be competitive.

The Z/28 is the best road course pony car available(as is) and the Shelby GT500 is the fastest available(as is).... The GT bests the SS and the 1LE bests the Track Pack... it's a game of give and take and you're NEVER going to have all the wins, simply because you dream big. Settle on the ZL1 and while your outward vision sucks, you will have the nicest overall pony car in a driver sense.

Max out the SS and the GT for straight line racing and the GT wins, period.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
Its not cam only though. Headers are good for 15-30 rwhp on a ls3. You can not find me a CAM ONLY LS3 that can make over 500 rwhp period.
you misunderstand the "cam only" term.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

They make seem peak #'s, but under the curve there is simply no comparison. LS3 takes the cake.

The 5.0 would not do so well with the extra weight, 20-22 inch wheels, big brakes, etc. It's torque curve just isn't up to snuff with an LS3.

How is a 5th gen going to be faster with less power everywhere in the curve, as well as a 10% cut in torque throughout the curve on top of that?

Interesting graph if both are truly stock. The thing you can easily overlook between the 2 engines is the gearing and the fact that the 5.0 turns more rpm.....that's it's saving grace. The gear it pulls makes up for it's seemingly lack in power under the curve.

What most usually want to compare in the furd world is a base 5.0 to a Camaro that comes standard with larger brakes. A proper comparison would be track pak 5.0 vs 1LE. A 1LE mops the floor with a 5.0 in every way, the only #'s that are even close is acceleration. It's why we see vids/times of 5.0 every where from mid 12's to not getting out of the 13's depending on options. Apparently weight kills them big time.......and it's easy to see why from those 2 tq curves.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by big hammer
you misunderstand the "cam only" term.
Cam only, to be understood in GM terms, means ... "I have a camshaft replacement, no cylinder head replacement, but every bolt-on part known to mankind installed... including headers and cat-back exhaust if not full exhaust."

"CAM ONLY" to a Mustang enthusiast, usually means... someone messed up and forgot several items.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 433 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Cam only, to be understood in GM terms, means ... "I have a camshaft replacement, no cylinder head replacement, but every bolt-on part known to mankind installed... including headers and cat-back exhaust if not full exhaust."

"CAM ONLY" to a Mustang enthusiast, usually means... someone messed up and forgot several items.
LOL....one way much?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

What's f*cking retarded is that everyone seems to think every "cam only" car should all run a certain way. When "cam only" cars of the same model type can have completely different mods and run completely different. One car can have $1k in mods and the other $5k, yet 90% of the boneheads on this site think all cars should be about the same because they're both considered "cam only" and nothing else is specified.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
LOL....one way much?
That's how it goes... If it's one way, I'm in... but I didn't make it up. There was a "cam only" thing long before there was an LS1 thing... It meant what it said, not what it does in the LS world... To be sure, people would look at you REAL FUNNY if you said your 1990 Mustang 5L was a "CAM ONLY" and you meant anything but... I had the cam swapped... I knew hundreds of guys, for example, who used stock Mustang P7 CRAPPY heads with even an "E" cam... that never did well, but that was what they did... a "CAM ONLY" and it was horrendous!

Ask yourself... before you got into the LS scene, when did you ever hear anyone call their "build" a "cam only" and in that case, when did it mean what it does in the LS world? You know ....
Old 05-09-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's f*cking retarded is that everyone seems to think every "cam only" car should all run a certain way. When "cam only" cars of the same model type can have completely different mods and run completely different. One car can have $1k in mods and the other $5k, yet 90% of the boneheads on this site think all cars should be about the same because they're both considered "cam only" and nothing else is specified.
Lol lies. All bolt on cars run 11s and all cam only cars run single digits!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Guitar
Lol lies. All bolt on cars run 11s and all cam only cars run single digits!!!
D'oh! You slipped the secret truth!

He's got a point though... look how many differences we see with the same basic descriptions given.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried to say this a long *** time ago.

Anyone that thinks a 5.0 is quicker then an LS3 in the same car is ******* delusional.

Peak numbers don't mean nearly as much at the track as they do in commercials. Power under the curve keeps a car accelerations, and the LS3 makes more power then a 5.0 EVERYWHERE, even when they peak the same.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
I tried to say this a long *** time ago.

Anyone that thinks a 5.0 is quicker then an LS3 in the same car is ******* delusional.
To that, sure... if EVERYTHING is equal otherwise. If both cars weighed 2500 lb, the LS engine would have more traction concerns, for example.

Peak numbers don't mean nearly as much at the track as they do in commercials. Power under the curve keeps a car accelerations, and the LS3 makes more power then a 5.0 EVERYWHERE, even when they peak the same.
That all makes sense... except the 5L is still winning. You can't possibly think it's 100% about the 300ish lb weight difference. Sure, that can be 3/10ths, but there's much more to it than that. 3/10ths in the exact car is one thing... in an entirely different vehicle, it may not make the difference... The Mustang has a different gear set and that may just help acceleration over the long gearing in the heavy Tremec. Plus, rear gears can be optimized based on those trans gears.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sw07gt
You can do it for 1k, stock with a nitrous kit and tune it yourself. Lol
I said n/a.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Teching In

I know all dynos can read different, but a friend of mine had Speed Inc fit his '10 SS LS3 with 238/244 cam, UD pulley, 1 7/8" long tubes, 3" ORX, Magnaflow catback, coldair intake, tuned on there Dynojet it made 475whp. Besides pushrods, plugs and wires the car was otherwise stock. That **** cost waaaaay over $1000. Not every "cam only" LS3 Camaro is getting 500whp, and certainly not for $1000. Heck a dyno tune usually costs $400-500 alone, cam itself is $350-425, not to mention all the gaskets and bolts that need replaced. $1000 for 500whp, who is that guy trying to fool?
1badls3 has ebay obx 1 5/8 inch headers and a cam, that's it. Makes over 500 whp.

If modified correctly then it is easy to attain, just because someone has a poor setup doesn't mean it's the average.

I'm also not claiming 500+ whp is the average for cam only ls3s, it is however what they should be doing.

Last edited by 4PointSlow; 05-09-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Teching In

What about evangto87's Boss which makes 475whp with just bolt-on's? He still has stock heads and cams. No doubt cams would put him over 500whp.
Does evan have a coyote? No. We are talking about the LS3 and the coyote.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by It'llrun
To that, sure... if EVERYTHING is equal otherwise. If both cars weighed 2500 lb, the LS engine would have more traction concerns, for example.

That all makes sense... except the 5L is still winning. You can't possibly think it's 100% about the 300ish lb weight difference. Sure, that can be 3/10ths, but there's much more to it than that. 3/10ths in the exact car is one thing... in an entirely different vehicle, it may not make the difference... The Mustang has a different gear set and that may just help acceleration over the long gearing in the heavy Tremec. Plus, rear gears can be optimized based on those trans gears.
Yes the theoretical ls3 2500 lb car would also get out of the hole harder because it's making more torque, especially if said car is an automatic.

How is an engine with way less power/torque under the curve going to be faster?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

1badls3 has ebay obx 1 5/8 inch headers and a cam, that's it. Makes over 500 whp.
Surely... no tune, no intake work, no upgraded air intake or filter... not a thing... HOGWASH!

If modified correctly then it is easy to attain, just because someone has a poor setup doesn't mean it's the average.
Well now... thanks for that special information everyone already knows. The problem you're obviously not considering is... not everyone has the correct parts and more importantly, it takes thousands of hours... maybe 10's of thousands, and many, many, many changes along the way to figure out which parts are the correct parts... It's not like someone woke up one morning and thought, "Hey, nobody's ever done a good build on an LS series engine before, so I will today!" and then miraculously put together the correct parts.

In other words, TODAY, it's easy... because someone well ahead of you has already gone through all the trouble to make it... easy.

I'm also not claiming 500+ whp is the average for cam only ls3s, it is however what they should be doing.
Oh, well then... since you said it... that settles it! Shall we now call you HoHo Jr.?

Does evan have a coyote? No. We are talking about the LS3 and the coyote.
If it isn't a Coyote, what is it?

Yes the theoretical ls3 2500 lb car would also get out of the hole harder because it's making more torque, especially if said car is an automatic.

How is an engine with way less power/torque under the curve going to be faster?
It's hard to say while sounding nice that you seem incapable of grasping this whole issue...

How can any vehicle making less torque under curve manage to be faster... I could go with the easy answer and just remind you... they ARE.

That said, the engine making more power and more rpm can be an advantage and if the vehicles are both very lightweight, the engine making more torque down low will also have more traction issues. Traction issues can lead to losses.

As to how can this or that be faster... hp is the main factor in top speed... curve has no impact on top speed, just how quickly it's reached.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Do you know the difference between a Coyote and a Roadrunner?

You're assuming the theoretical car isn't on tire. No traction issues cars on tire the LS will 60 foot harder.

If the car has long gears it also favors the LS over the 5.0... because of the 5.0s narrow powerband.

The LS3 will always be faster, it makes more power and torque everywhere in the curve.

Besides past 6k rpm, by that time the ls would have shifted and be making more power in the next gear.... whereas the 5.0 would fall out of its peaky powerband in the next gear.

Quick Reply: I got drug, and I'm butt hurt. Real butt hurt. Feelings hurt bad.