Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C5 ZO6 vs Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 PM
H8R
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Agreed that the 4V Modulars are bigger but you have to admit, they are impressive to look at..IMO. They look like an old school big block.
Flat V8's looked pretty damn awesome too. Those, also were made by Ford.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay z28
Really? We have resorted to comparing physical size to try to discredit an engine? How pathetic...
The butt hurt is strong. Still does not change the fact that one is a 427 and the other is a 281
Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by automach1
The butt hurt is strong. Still does not change the fact that one is a 427 and the other is a 281
The only butthurt I see here is you guys defending this charade

And jay no one is discrediting its a decent motor, just once again stating facts. It's physically bigger. It's heavier. It's not as common. That's it.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay z28
Really? We have resorted to comparing physical size to try to discredit an engine? How pathetic...
Um welcome to reality?
I see no discrediting going on at all, however if you think physical size (or weight) is not important then you may want to grab a physics book.
A smaller engine can be mounted lower and closer to the center of the car giving better weight distribution and better center of gravity. This equals all around better performance all else equal. This is why you see so so many LSx swaps and rarely see any mod motor swaps. Hell, you're more likely to see someone swap a mod motor out for an LSx than someone swap a mod motor into anything...

Originally Posted by automach1
The only butt hurt is from the mustang guys like yourself that have something to prove by joining a GM forum to defend the mustang in a street racing section. Doesn't get much more pathetic than that...
Fact of the matter is the 427 is smaller, lighter and makes more power/torque than the "little" boat anchor 281.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 427zm
...And jay no one is discrediting its a decent motor, just once again stating facts. It's physically bigger. It's heavier. It's not as common. That's it.
And more complicated especially when doing cams and heads.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 427zm
The only butthurt I see here is you guys defending this charade

And jay no one is discrediting its a decent motor, just once again stating facts. It's physically bigger. It's heavier. It's not as common. That's it.
Yet a 4.6 has been faster

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Um welcome to reality?
I see no discrediting going on at all, however if you think physical size (or weight) is not important then you may want to grab a physics book.
A smaller engine can be mounted lower and closer to the center of the car giving better weight distribution and better center of gravity. This equals all around better performance all else equal. This is why you see so so many LSx swaps and rarely see any mod motor swaps. Hell, you're more likely to see someone swap a mod motor out for an LSx than someone swap a mod motor into anything...

The only butt hurt is from the mustang guys like yourself that have something to prove by joining a GM forum to defend the mustang in a street racing section. Doesn't get much more pathetic than that...
Fact of the matter is the 427 is smaller, lighter and makes more power/torque than the "little" boat anchor 281.
I joined because of the copious amounts of butt hurt my old mach was causing due to a vid that a ls owner friend posted. I have no reason to defend the mustang or modular as the numbers speak for them self. The big heavy small cube motor is faster then ls anything.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by islander033
And more complicated especially when doing cams and heads.
And when doing the stage 5 y-pipe mod
Old 07-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Um welcome to reality?
While all your points concerning weight, center of gravity and motor size are valid, there is more to why LSx motors are usually swapped into cars more than a modular motor.
In reality, it really comes down to preference based on familiarity, price/ availability of parts and simplicity. In all honesty, who wants to work on a modular motor with double overhead cams, tensioners, multiple valves etc. They are complex, no doubt and most people are not accustomed to working on one. In addition, the cost for these additional parts add up quick. For example, just for replacing cams, four (4) of them are required, as wells as tensioners and 32 springs. Just replacing the springs alone are very time consuming adding to an already expensive parts list.

Most importantly though, people are very comfortable with pushrod, single cam engines. They have been around for so long and most of us who grew up in a house with an American V8, were familiar with this design. People who race, want something that can make real good power, cheap to build, easy to fix and can readily find parts. The LSx platform fits this bill perfectly.
However, I would not mistaken this for design superiority. The OHC cam motors are quiet common in Europe and has been around for a long time with some producing amazing power with small displacement and high rpms.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM
H8R
Staging Lane

As to the mod motor being "faster" not sure many guys have built a LSX powered chassis similar to the level John Mehovitz car... Seems most fast LSX cars are door slammers . I will say this though . What's the NA mod motor record?

Too bad the LT5 architecture wasn't more deeply researched and developed ....
Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by H8R
As to the mod motor being "faster" not sure many guys have built a LSX powered chassis similar to the level John Mehovitz car... Seems most fast LSX cars are door slammers . I will say this though . What's the NA mod motor record?

Too bad the LT5 architecture wasn't more deeply researched and developed ....

The dyno don't care about N/A and the drag strip lights don't care if it has a blower. The only people that care are the ones that have to pick their favorite motors strength and it's rivals weakness.

To say that a LSX car isn't up to Mihovetz car's par is BS, but nice try at reaching.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
The dyno don't care about N/A and the drag strip lights don't care if it has a blower. The only people that care are the ones that have to pick their favorite motors strength and it's rivals weakness.

To say that a LSX car isn't up to Mihovetz car's par is BS, but nice try at reaching.
does the dyno or strip care about hp\L?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 PM
H8R
Staging Lane

I'm not reaching... Or actually were you saying I wasn't reaching? You said "nice try at reaching" So, I haven't reached ?

Facts are facts. The LSX platform hasn't been pushed as far, don't worry though ... Its coming. I really don't get boners over cars that aren't mine... ****, the Ecotec went faster than an LSx has ...
Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by H8R
I'm not reaching... Or actually were you saying I wasn't reaching? You said "nice try at reaching" So, I haven't reached ?

Facts are facts. The LSX platform hasn't been pushed as far, don't worry though ... Its coming. I really don't get boners over cars that aren't mine... ****, the Ecotec went faster than an LSx has ...

So what do you have?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 PM

Cost would be the first thing that comes to mind ls motors are a dime a dozen in the yard, and to be honest much like old sbc N sbf any back yard mechanic can pretty much build one.... Most people are scared of modular motors due to the lack of push rods.... I feel both setups have advantages and disadvantages Modular's large size is deff makes it harder to swap into things as easy, but in that same respect stock modular block will handle much more power then ls base block.. People get all but hurt about modular's needing boost but in reality its just a different way of making power... I'm sure if ls motors in stock forum could handle the boost that modular's can ls guys would be all about boost.... Tell me it wouldn't be nice to make 800-900 hp without taking a valve cover off.... LS motors are bad *** don't get me wrong very cheap option to make good power just not necessarily better... And like stated modular has still gone faster...
Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

don't mach 1's explode after 500 hp on boost?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 PM
H8R
Staging Lane

So what do you have?
A spaceship
Old 07-07-2014, 09:52 PM
H8R
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 90notch5.0
Cost would be the first thing that comes to mind ls motors are a dime a dozen in the yard, and to be honest much like old sbc N sbf any back yard mechanic can pretty much build one.... Most people are scared of modular motors due to the lack of push rods.... I feel both setups have advantages and disadvantages Modular's large size is deff makes it harder to swap into things as easy, but in that same respect stock modular block will handle much more power then ls base block.. People get all but hurt about modular's needing boost but in reality its just a different way of making power... I'm sure if ls motors in stock forum could handle the boost that modular's can ls guys would be all about boost.... Tell me it wouldn't be nice to make 800-900 hp without taking a valve cover off.... LS motors are bad *** don't get me wrong very cheap option to make good power just not necessarily better... And like stated modular has still gone faster...
Stock 4.8's and 5.3's have done what you're mentioning ...
It comes down to this.. The Mod motor wasn't able to make big power without boost... Shops know this, enthusiast know this... We all know this? however, guess what it just so happens to do well? Be capable of handling boost.... Really though , the application of this was out of necessity . The mod motors couldn't compete without it. The LSx/LTx is just getting the pushrod motor dialed in. Still improving things decades later...
Old 07-07-2014, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

So I'll chime in on this d1ck measuring/troll contest.

FWIW, I picked a mod motor as my VERY first engine to completely rebuild by myself. TB to oil pan. I knew about as much as your average troll/bolt-on keyboard hardass on here. But guess what, I researched the forums (ya know the technical ones), read a couple of books, and learned by experience. IMO it was pretty easy to work on. I didn't buy any extra tools that was needed for a regular pushrod motor. Ring compressor, ring filer, torque wrench, digital calipers, etc. After fixing an issue that the machine shop F'd up on the head, it fired right up.

I pulled the head of a 5.4 DOHC w/ arp head studs WHILE in the car. If I can do it on my first rodeo, mod motors are not that hard to build.

Remember the days when people would talk **** about their own cars and not others? Sad times we live in.

-Mark
Old 07-07-2014, 09:59 PM
H8R
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
So I'll chime in on this d1ck measuring/troll contest.

FWIW, I picked a mod motor as my VERY first engine to completely rebuild by myself. TB to oil pan. I knew about as much as your average troll/bolt-on keyboard hardass on here. But guess what, I researched the forums (ya know the technical ones), read a couple of books, and learned by experience. IMO it was pretty easy to work on. I didn't buy any extra tools that was needed for a regular pushrod motor. Ring compressor, ring filer, torque wrench, digital calipers, etc. After fixing an issue that the machine shop F'd up on the head, it fired right up.

I pulled the head of a 5.4 DOHC w/ arp head studs WHILE in the car. If I can do it on my first rodeo, mod motors are not that hard to build.

Remember the days when people would talk **** about their own cars and not others? Sad times we live in.

-Mark
There's nothing more complex about the mod motor than any other OHC engine...
Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 PM

4.8 and 5.3 would on stock long blocks i dont see living very long and 800 plus horsepower.. Just because there are some stock long block dyno queens out there that dont see any real street time does not make it the norm.... and i am speaking more for the 03 cobra up engines and not all modular's came with forged bottom ends but blocks are still very strong.... **** was just reading a article on a stock 351 junk yard shortblock making over 1000hp for many pulls but does that make it the norm ??? not at all... What i can tell you is there are many cobra's out there making big power on stock untouched long blocks and to say it doesn't make it a bad *** motor cause it needs boost is a joke ... welcome to 2014 its a more efficient way of making power sorry if it goes against all your n/a beliefs but power is power no matter how its made.... Some would rather just turn up the boost then put heads, cam , intake , stroker ect to make the same power.... Plus not like GM didn't figure that out ZL1 and ZR1 are good examples.... Not to get into the whole zl1 gt500 debate but we know as far as power goes boosted to boosted gm ends up with the short end of the stick... I try to really not even hate on LS **** cause i truly do respect and like them just think its funny ls guys got to have so much hate for engines they know nothing about.....

Quick Reply: C5 ZO6 vs Ford GT