Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2000 ss vs 97 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2000 ss vs 97 cobra

Yesterday my brother bought a 97 cobra, naturally we were going to run them. I had already figured i would win because my car is pretty damn fast stock. Well the cobra had a x pipe cat delete and flowmasters, 90mm MAF and KN filter, stock

My SS has a 205k cop car motor with 4 speed auto but 3.42 gears, the car has SLP lid, EGR deleted but not tuned out, and gutted cats, other than that it is stock.

Our best run was a 20 roll and he had a passenger so i gave him the hit, i ended up pulling a car and a 1/2 on him by 80 miles an hour

the passenger ended up getting a video but its in two parts, it was such a good run for a good video it sucks.
The passenger is a cobra guy and he was so adamant that the cobra would beat me but we run 4 hits and i pulled by every time. He was un impressed and still thinks the cobra is faster and that i would lose if he was not a passenger in the cobra.

Wondering what everyone else thinks around here
Old 04-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job.
Maybe if he had a some gear and got the hit but definitely without the passenger.
Maybe he should have let the passenger flag the race if he thought he could take your SS.

As for the 90mm maf on the Cobro, what's up with that?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Good kill ! Seems about right to me as expected lol
Old 04-13-2015, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds right to me as well. Nice job
Old 04-13-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Good job.
Maybe if he had a some gear and got the hit but definitely without the passenger.
Maybe he should have let the passenger flag the race if he thought he could take your SS.

As for the 90mm maf on the Cobro, what's up with that?
the cobra has a factory twin 50MM throttle body, and the 90MM MAF actually made a crazy difference, yeah all the dude could talk about was with gear the cobra would kill your ls, but if i had gear it would kill his cobra.... tit for tat i still come out on top....
Old 04-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

InB4 the next 20 pages that somehow transition to how great the 5.0 is and everyone measuring wieners/arguing about anything and everything that's not relevant to the OP.

Oh, and good kill!
Old 04-13-2015, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
the cobra has a factory twin 50MM throttle body, and the 90MM MAF actually made a crazy difference, yeah all the dude could talk about was with gear the cobra would kill your ls, but if i had gear it would kill his cobra.... tit for tat i still come out on top....
No doubt. That is why you always hope you have more than the next guy.

The reason he mentioned gear is only because of the small ci of the motor. The 4V will make power but it has to be revved high. Gear is just a good way to get them to the rpm range where they begin to make power. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
InB4 the next 20 pages that somehow transition to how great the 5.0 is and everyone measuring wieners/arguing about anything and everything that's not relevant to the OP.

Oh, and good kill!
you wanna see a whos dick is bigger contest you should talk to the Honda people in my town. the only thing faster than a honda to a honda guy is a honda..... i respect fast cars i love them, but jeez some people cannot accept anything
Old 04-13-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

No doubt. That is why you always hope you have more than the next guy.

The reason he mentioned gear is only because of the small ci of the motor. The 4V will make power but it has to be revved high. Gear is just a good way to get them to the rpm range where they begin to make power. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have.
the passenger im talking about gets his car tuned at fast lane, he has a supercharged 96. he is cobra to the core but wants to buy a Z06....
Old 04-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Teching In

the passenger im talking about gets his car tuned at fast lane, he has a supercharged 96. he is cobra to the core but wants to buy a Z06....
FastLane Motorsports in.........NC?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

FastLane Motorsports in.........NC?
yeah NC, its a 96 mystic, vortec, good stuff
Old 04-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Teching In

yeah NC, its a 96 mystic, vortec, good stuff

Small world. lol

I was just at their dyno day 2 weeks ago. I would have spotted a Mystic Cobra since there are not to many around.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you wanna see a whos dick is bigger contest you should talk to the Honda people in my town. the only thing faster than a honda to a honda guy is a honda..... i respect fast cars i love them, but jeez some people cannot accept anything
Around my area it's 90s model trucks with 350s, and Honda and Scion owners that are the worst offenders. Of course, the first question the majority of these people ask about my car is if it's a 305. If that provides some insight into exactly how far these people DO live under a rock. anyway, here's to hoping your thread doesn't get derailed as swiftly as most
Old 04-13-2015, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Small world. lol

I was just at their dyno day 2 weeks ago. I would have spotted a Mystic Cobra since there are not to many around.
yeah he has owned the mystic for years and its getting a forged short block and 18 LBS of boost with meth injection. then he is selling it for a Z06
Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
Around my area it's 90s model trucks with 350s, and Honda and Scion owners that are the worst offenders. Of course, the first question the majority of these people ask about my car is if it's a 305. If that provides some insight into exactly how far these people DO live under a rock. anyway, here's to hoping your thread doesn't get derailed as swiftly as most
lol if i dont derail it myself
Old 04-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Well, your car isn't stock, so quit that nonsense. That said, he did better than I'd have thought actually, good kill mang. They run decent considering, but Ellis Juans are damn strong.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gt4urass
Well, your car isn't stock, so quit that nonsense. That said, he did better than I'd have thought actually, good kill mang. They run decent considering, but Ellis Juans are damn strong.
yeah its slower than it was stock... untuned removal of the egr and no change in reading on the rear 02 from going through the cat being un tuned is slowing me down... my car was faster before i gutted the cats and deleted EGR, so you're right my car isn't stock, it was faster stock

The mustang had the best mod you could put in it, driver mod, my brother shifted the trans into euphoria LOL

his 99GT lost half its synchronizes and has bent forks, spinning he busted that car to a 13.8 at 106
(stock gears underdrive cobra pulley, filter, cat-less x pipe)
Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Teching In

yeah its slower than it was stock... untuned removal of the egr and no change in reading on the rear 02 from going through the cat being un tuned is slowing me down... my car was faster before i gutted the cats and deleted EGR, so you're right my car isn't stock, it was faster stock

The mustang had the best mod you could put in it, driver mod, my brother shifted the trans into euphoria LOL
Nice. The gears probably help you a little, don't know much about how those cars react to erg removal without a tune, but...tune it! Good run...get a better camera man next time
Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gt4urass
Nice. The gears probably help you a little, don't know much about how those cars react to erg removal without a tune, but...tune it! Good run...get a better camera man next time
blame the guy taking the video! he has the video its just in two separate bursts and part is missing :[ it sucks it was a beautiful pull for both cars

and the only thing you can hear in the video is the mustang, my flow master is hardly audible and i drove by the camera.....
Old 04-13-2015, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Shoulda had him by more

Quick Reply: 2000 ss vs 97 cobra