Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.br0 vs LS2 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Non oxygenated race fuel can slow down stock engines.

You're not really getting power from the timing with ethanol. Ethanol is full of oxygen which allows you to burn more fuel in a cycle for a net power gain

While its correct that ethanol does have energy per unit than gasoline, the high 02 content allows you to burn more units of it in a cycle than gasoline and that's why poppa can squeak an 11 second pass on it and not on regular gas
Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^ your retarded. Your acting like E85 is another form of BOOOOOOSSSSTTTTTTTT. Its higher octane and you run more timing and prevent detonation and make more power. Stop trying to over think this.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

So race fuel and face plated transmissions slow you down, and any weight reduction that isn't on purpose doesn't help the vehicle, check.

Last edited by V8EATR; 04-29-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2003Cobro
^^ your retarded. Your acting like E85 is another form of BOOOOOOSSSSTTTTTTTT. Its higher octane and you run more timing and prevent detonation and make more power. Stop trying to over think this.
You're wrong
Old 04-29-2016, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 431 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Most people do not plan to run race fuel on a strictly NA setup I would assume. The only reason I run the E85 at the track is because my tune allows it, and when you run at the track you try for your best times... how much is it helping me over 93? I figure a tenth or so.. My problem is the 1/4 mile track is a 2 hour drive for me, and I don't want to waste that long of a drive just to see what the car will do on 93 octane. If it were closer, yeah for the hell of it I may try it. Who knows, if I can get comparable DA to some of my E85 runs, I might try 93 at my local 1/8th mile track one weekend.

Honest truth though is I do not FEEL a big difference at all between the E85 and 93. They say you really cant feel 10-15hp anyway. The car still feels pretty damn quick on 93 too.
You would likely notice it more with a atick. More driver involvement.
Originally Posted by big hammer

You're not really getting power from the timing with ethanol. Ethanol is full of oxygen which allows you to burn more fuel in a cycle for a net power gain

While its correct that ethanol does have energy per unit than gasoline, the high 02 content allows you to burn more units of it in a cycle than gasoline and that's why poppa can squeak an 11 second pass on it and not on regular gas
Good post....a little research goes a long way
Unless you're this guy
Originally Posted by V8EATR
So race fuel and face plated transmissions slow you down, and any weight reduction that isn't on purpose doesn't help the vehicle, check.
Well 2 of 3 came from your camp.

But yea....if you ain't tuned for it or your engine can not utilize race fuel it can slow you down.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Teching In

So you get a tune for E85 with the same timing that you run on 91 and you will gain power from the super oxygen rich E85???
Old 04-29-2016, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

So you get a tune for E85 with the same timing that you run on 91 and you will gain power from the super oxygen rich E85???
Yes, you will. Hio and hammer are correct this time. The difference is small, but it is there. From pure power standpoint, the E85 will almost always have more power than race gas of the same octane, with the same compression ratio and timing.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my pump gas
Old 04-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I've seen race gas slow down fuel injected cars too. It can also make them run hot.....it burns slower and cannot always complete the burn with out added compression.
I've personally seen this: first hand. low compression motors with big camshafts and a guy who had a calibration sticker on his seat pants could notice the power loss between high octane race or av gas and 92 octane. I was pretty sure I could tell between 92 and 87 on my Z28... the dyno sure saw it though: 10rwhp loss from 87 to 106 octane as long as I kept same total timing.

Back in the craptastic years (mid 70s to early 90's) average V8 compression ratios where in the 8.0-8.5 range. "High performance" was 9 to maybe 10 to 1. Some crazy guys with amazing heads/intakes/carb/ tuning would get away with up to 11 to 1 on pump gas - but we all thought that they were friggin crazy. In reality those were the guys who had the $$$ to acquire the efficient head designs that everyone takes for granted nowadays. Back in the day, those combustion chamber and int/exh airflow paths were cutting edge and guarded jealously by those few who knew the black magic art that led to those designs.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 04-29-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer

Originally Posted by JC316
Yes, you will. Hio and hammer are correct this time. The difference is small, but it is there. From pure power standpoint, the E85 will almost always have more power than race gas of the same octane, with the same compression ratio and timing.
This is correct. But, the difference will be so little it wouldn't be noticeable. Literally talking a few hp difference at the same timing and compression, 93 vs E85, N/A wise. It's almost a moot point.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

So who is building all these engines and not tuning them for the octane they are running? That's putting long tubes and a larger maf housing in a car and not tuning for it and saying adding those parts made you slower.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So who is building all these engines and not tuning them for the octane they are running? That's putting long tubes and a larger maf housing in a car and not tuning for it and saying adding those parts made you slower.
I can recall several started race threads in this section where the fbody owner claimed "untuned" and they were racing like that.

Idiots
Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Exactly. Changing fuel and not tuning accordingly for the specific type used is pointless and shouldn't be done in the first place.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Looks like you still don't get it man
Old 04-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
This is correct. But, the difference will be so little it wouldn't be noticeable. Literally talking a few hp difference at the same timing and compression, 93 vs E85, N/A wise. It's almost a moot point.
This is what i am saying. It would be very insignificant. Hammer is billing it like running E85=nitrous. Thats retarded. Its the octane boost that allows for more aggressive timing curves and no spark retard because of detonation that makes the difference.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

This is what i am saying. It would be very insignificant. Hammer is billing it like running E85=nitrous. Thats retarded. Its the octane boost that allows for more aggressive timing curves and no spark retard because of detonation that makes the difference.
Actually E85 makes its gains on a stock NA engine in a similar way to nitrous just to a lesser extent man
Old 04-29-2016, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

It's not insignificant, about 10%. Hot rod did a test of this, identical timing and compression, race gas vs E85. The E85 had gains in the midrange and wasn't as touchy.

It's not like nitrous, but it's not insignificant either.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 431 Likes on 338 Posts

MT did a test on a flex fuel silverado. It picked up .3 and 3 mph in the qtr. Not really insignificant.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JC316
It's not insignificant, about 10%. Hot rod did a test of this, identical timing and compression, race gas vs E85. The E85 had gains in the midrange and wasn't as touchy.

It's not like nitrous, but it's not insignificant either.
So lets say on a coyote, how much power do you think e85 would be worth not increasing timing at all? Honestly, how much?

MT did a test on a flex fuel silverado. It picked up .3 and 3 mph in the qtr. Not really insignificant.
vs a conservative 87 tune, you bet. 93 would be worth some too. Of course its helpful, but its not a huge gain like you claim.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Lol no changes except fuel and it picked up 3mph. Thats ~30hp gain. Wow. Imagine if it had a TOON!!!!(truth the Car must have been getting some knock timing retard and didnt have any with the E85)

You guys are nuts. Guys add E85 on a NA car with a CORRESPONDING TUNE and arent gaining that much. So 30hp on a silverado no changes. Man when i go E85 i should gain about 250hp!! Sweet i cant wait.

Quick Reply: 5.br0 vs LS2 GTO