Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ls1 vs 5.0...Dig, and Rolls

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
If you end up somewhere near Charlotte, shoot me a msg and we can meet up, grub, run etc.
For sure dude! Curious did you ever Dyno the car with the 12.4 setup? The 16 5.0 has the corsa sport exhaust I feel like he got a decent couple of ponds from it... I don't know but it sounds fantastic ethier way
Old 05-14-2016, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowmotive
For sure dude! Curious did you ever Dyno the car with the 12.4 setup? The 16 5.0 has the corsa sport exhaust I feel like he got a decent couple of ponds from it... I don't know but it sounds fantastic ethier way
No.. did not dyno it. It was stock power.. catback didnt do much other than a little weight reduction. Others will argue that but they argue just to argue. 2015 GT Auto 3.15 gear. Most dyno at about 360-370ish stock.

I have dynod with my current setup and it made 401rwhp. Same catback, Lund racing Flex fuel tune with E85 as far as power mods. Other mods on the car are BMR springs, BMR vertical links, BMR CB005 cradle lockout kit(to help with wheelhop), and drag pack(17x4.5, 17.9.5). Still have stock airbox, manifolds, and cats.

Best et so far is 11.81, and best trap 117.4.

Planning on cat delete, and stall converter next. Will end up with twin turbo kit around fall.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

No.. did not dyno it. It was stock power.. catback didnt do much other than a little weight reduction. Others will argue that but they argue just to argue. 2015 GT Auto 3.15 gear. Most dyno at about 360-370ish stock.

I have dynod with my current setup and it made 401rwhp. Same catback, Lund racing Flex fuel tune with E85 as far as power mods. Other mods on the car are BMR springs, BMR vertical links, BMR CB005 cradle lockout kit(to help with wheelhop), and drag pack(17x4.5, 17.9.5). Still have stock airbox, manifolds, and cats.

Best et so far is 11.81, and best trap 117.4.

Planning on cat delete, and stall converter next. Will end up with twin turbo kit around fall.
Damn dude that's so solid for minimal ****!! How much did your mph change after the tune? I've heard lots of great stuff about Lund..and way to do it right... Suspension the power. Good stuff
Old 05-14-2016, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Damn dude that's so solid for minimal ****!! How much did your mph change after the tune? I've heard lots of great stuff about Lund..and way to do it right... Suspension the power. Good stuff
My 12.4 run was 109.8mph.. but that was a good 60ft 1.85. I ran multiple 110-111s also. So tune + e85 has gained me 7-8mph.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Here is my 12.4 slip. Catback and Invos

and a page of my 11.8 runs. Car is dead nuts consistent though.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

My 12.4 run was 109.6mph.. but that was a good 60ft 1.85. I ran multiple 110-111s also. So tune + e85 has gained me 7-8mph.

Jesus I didn't know e85 was worth that much. I stopped street racing just before e85 was a thing... (used just be 110-116 Octane) Now I'm coming back and bolt on cars have it! Thats dope though... Can you only run e85? Or can you build a fuel system to do both? The luxury to race fuel was versatility providing you didn't get a **** about your o2s
Old 05-14-2016, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

Jesus I didn't know e85 was worth that much. I stopped street racing just before e85 was a thing... (used just be 110-116 Octane) Now I'm coming back and bolt on cars have it! Thats dope though... Can you only run e85? Or can you build a fuel system to do both? The luxury to race fuel was versatility providing you didn't get a **** about your o2s
Honestly, I don't notice a HUGE difference between 93 and E85 driving the car. I guesstimate it may be giving me 15ish rwhp extra. I have a flex fuel tune, so I can run whichever I want.. 93 or E85, or a mix of the 2. The car will automatically adjust itself. All that is needed to run flex fuel on the 2015+ GTs is the tune. Stock injectors, fuel system etc work fine. Once you upgrade the intake manifold and run higher rpms, you just need some bigger injectors.

I wouldn't run a dedicated E85 tune because the only locations close to me with E85 are about 35min-1hr drive for 2 locations I go to. I usually run to one of them the day before a track day and top off the tank, and my 5gallon jug. 1/4 track is 2hr drive, so I can leave the house with about 3/4 tank, and end up there with a little more than 1/4 tank.. good enough to run for most of the day. the cheaper E85 near me is 1.69/gallon... hard to pass that price up for the extra little boost it gives.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

Here is my 12.4 slip. Catback and Invos

We would have be a great race when you were 12.4!! I trapped 89 in the 1/8 also and 112 in the 1/4.. My 60' is only a 1.9x..but now you're movin!!!
Old 05-15-2016, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Honestly, I don't notice a HUGE difference between 93 and E85 driving the car. I guesstimate it may be giving me 15ish rwhp extra. I have a flex fuel tune, so I can run whichever I want.. 93 or E85, or a mix of the 2. The car will automatically adjust itself. All that is needed to run flex fuel on the 2015+ GTs is the tune. Stock injectors, fuel system etc work fine. Once you upgrade the intake manifold and run higher rpms, you just need some bigger injectors.

I wouldn't run a dedicated E85 tune because the only locations close to me with E85 are about 35min-1hr drive for 2 locations I go to. I usually run to one of them the day before a track day and top off the tank, and my 5gallon jug. 1/4 track is 2hr drive, so I can leave the house with about 3/4 tank, and end up there with a little more than 1/4 tank.. good enough to run for most of the day. the cheaper E85 near me is 1.69/gallon... hard to pass that price up for the extra little boost it gives.

Oh for sure. That's cheap as ****. Seeing that gay flex fuel badge on cars back when they were marketing that **** hard.. I never ever would've thought oh more power!
Old 05-15-2016, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

We would have be a great race when you were 12.4!! I trapped 89 in the 1/8 also and 112 in the 1/4.. My 60' is only a 1.9x..but now you're movin!!!
Would have been a good door to door race for sure. Those are the kind of races I like... you keep looking over and pushing on the steering wheel to inch a little more forward.

Oh for sure. That's cheap as ****. Seeing that gay flex fuel badge on cars back when they were marketing that **** hard.. I never ever would've thought oh more power!
Not as big a deal on NA, but on boosted setups, E85 is liquid gold. You can make another 100rwhp on E85 vs 93 on boost depending on setup.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

Would have been a good door to door race for sure. Those are the kind of races I like... you keep looking over and pushing on the steering wheel to inch a little more forward.

Not as big a deal on NA, but on boosted setups, E85 is liquid gold. You can make another 100rwhp on E85 vs 93 on boost depending on setup.
**** yes!! Haha... I slowly push my gas peddle what feels like through the firewall... "cmonnnnnn butch goooo" lol
Old 05-15-2016, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

**** yes!! Haha... I slowly push my gas peddle what feels like through the firewall... "cmonnnnnn butch goooo" lol
lol, yeah I probably have a dent bulging on the other side of my firewall.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

lol, yeah I probably have a dent bulging on the other side of my firewall.
Hahaaha
Old 05-20-2016, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slowmotive what bolt-ons do you have? I wouldn't be afraid to pull a little weight out of the car too. It can be done tastefully while keeping a full interior and no1 will notice it unless they know what to look for.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71
Slowmotive what bolt-ons do you have? I wouldn't be afraid to pull a little weight out of the car too. It can be done tastefully while keeping a full interior and no1 will notice it unless they know what to look for.
As of this week I have lid, filter, pulley, 1 3/4 long tubes, tsp xpipe, ls6 intake (just installed 2 days ago) ported tb, 4.10 gears... What could I removed without gaining rattles and retaining a insulated cabin for good ac... I'm in Florida it's totally necessary lmao
Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

As of this week I have lid, filter, pulley, 1 3/4 long tubes, tsp xpipe, ls6 intake (just installed 2 days ago) ported tb, 4.10 gears... What could I removed without gaining rattles and retaining a insulated cabin for good ac... I'm in Florida it's totally necessary lmao
There's a thread here somewhere stickied that covers all the weight reduction items. Since you already have LT's I'm guessing you removed all the emissions junk. I'd remove the traction control while your at it. The obvious things are spare tire, jack etc. Maybe Hio can help with some of the less obvious things, Its been some years since I sold my Z.

Have you done all the free mods too? little things like coolant bypass on the TB, making sure your TB blade opens all the way etc.

The best cheap mod I did was making a SUX2BU ram-air intake using 4" dryer duct running from the holes in the front bumper to the lid. I picked up ~3 mph with that alone. It might sound dumb but I run at the track with no air filter too. I did back to back and it makes a difference. I usually took my passenger seats out for the track too... only a few bolts so why not?

With a 3800 stall, bolt-ons and minor weight reduction my 2000 Z28 hit 11.47 @ 117. I was running almost the same tires as you have now, 245 nitto 555R's on stock snowflakes which are pretty light. Going to a 28" tire might actually slow you down at your power level. I had 3:23 gears so I stayed with a 26" tire.

To help your 60' and drop a few lbs remove the front sway bar. I used cheap KYB AGX shocks set to full soft in the front and full firm in the rear.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

There's a thread here somewhere stickied that covers all the weight reduction items. Since you already have LT's I'm guessing you removed all the emissions junk. I'd remove the traction control while your at it. The obvious things are spare tire, jack etc. Maybe Hio can help with some of the less obvious things, Its been some years since I sold my Z.

Have you done all the free mods too? little things like coolant bypass on the TB, making sure your TB blade opens all the way etc.

The best cheap mod I did was making a SUX2BU ram-air intake using 4" dryer duct running from the holes in the front bumper to the lid. I picked up ~3 mph with that alone. It might sound dumb but I run at the track with no air filter too. I did back to back and it makes a difference. I usually took my passenger seats out for the track too... only a few bolts so why not?

With a 3800 stall, bolt-ons and minor weight reduction my 2000 Z28 hit 11.47 @ 117. I was running almost the same tires as you have now, 245 nitto 555R's on stock snowflakes which are pretty light. Going to a 28" tire might actually slow you down at your power level. I had 3:23 gears so I stayed with a 26" tire.

To help your 60' and drop a few lbs remove the front sway bar. I used cheap KYB AGX shocks set to full soft in the front and full firm in the rear.

Dude, we'll appreciated info!

I have a potz ported throttle body it opens all the way and I bypassed coolant when I installed it... No more egr, or a. I. R... When I ran the 12.5 I was touching my Rev limiter trough the traps so that's why I was saying I need a 28 hahah and I deadhooked the 1.98 but my stock stall isn't liking anything faster as far as a 60'... I just did the ls6 intake swap and msd wires... I'm ready for a retune just from that but my tuner wants 300 bucks... Eh... Also I got a knock reading today but I was on E and it was the tank with seafoam in it so I hope it wasn't the ls6 intake
Old 05-20-2016, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

I have a potz ported throttle body it opens all the way and I bypassed coolant when I installed it... No more egr, or a. I. R... When I ran the 12.5 I was touching my Rev limiter trough the traps so that's why I was saying I need a 28 hahah and I deadhooked the 1.98 but my stock stall isn't liking anything faster as far as a 60'... I just did the ls6 intake swap and msd wires... I'm ready for a retune just from that but my tuner wants 300 bucks... Eh... Also I got a knock reading today but I was on E and it was the tank with seafoam in it so I hope it wasn't the ls6 intake
yeah, it sounds like your car would probably pick up .5-.7 with just a 3800 -4000 stall and retune
Old 05-20-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a 12.5 with 1.96 60' with my 3.42 gears and an extremely similar mod list as you. But I trapped 2 MPH lower
Old 05-20-2016, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

yeah, it sounds like your car would probably pick up .5-.7 with just a 3800 -4000 stall and retune
Yea I want a stall bad I've seen 11.6-11.9 with my setup and a stall. Just not sure how light they are... Kid otw modding is coming to a slow stop lmao

Quick Reply: Ls1 vs 5.0...Dig, and Rolls