Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Iirc mine was 26 deg at wot.
Thanks! How's your car coming along?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:09 PM
Banned

By the way, where did all the stragglers from the Norfolk Facebook car page go? Funny how quiet they are now.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You think quite highly of yourself for only racing one time 10mins from your house after trolling for years.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedFuryZ28
Thanks! How's your car coming along?
Pretty much the worst luck ever. After the 6.0 I had a gen 4 5.3 also and threw it in after tearing it down, putting new bearings and gapping the rings in it along with morel lifters. It ran a total of 6.2 miles, started knocking and locked up. That was two weeks ago and have already pulled it back out, tore it apart, rebuilt it, and it's back up and running again.

I have no clue what happened, but it broke number one rod up towards the rod cap end. We checked, measure, rechecked, etc.. and the only thing we can figure, is that it had to have a hairline crack in it or something. Either way, it has almost 70 miles on it and only swapped a rod out. I hate cars at this point.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by RedFuryZ28
I'm going to get the shift points put in the proper spots. And add some shift extension. The timing is also pretty conservative. How much timing would be ideal? The AFR is pretty conservative too.

And it's an FTi converter.
Mine likes 26-27...The FTI 3600 is a pretty tight stall. Something like a 1.9 STR. I have a FTI 3800 with a 2.1 STR and its a good balance for the street. They make a hard hit 3800 & 4000 with a 2.5 STR and it hits like a ton of bricks at the sacrifice of some top end efficiency.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pretty much the worst luck ever. After the 6.0 I had a gen 4 5.3 also and threw it in after tearing it down, putting new bearings and gapping the rings in it along with morel lifters. It ran a total of 6.2 miles, started knocking and locked up. That was two weeks ago and have already pulled it back out, tore it apart, rebuilt it, and it's back up and running again.

I have no clue what happened, but it broke number one rod up towards the rod cap end. We checked, measure, rechecked, etc.. and the only thing we can figure, is that it had to have a hairline crack in it or something. Either way, it has almost 70 miles on it and only swapped a rod out. I hate cars at this point.
Bummer man...I hope your luck changes. Not to throw salt in the wounds but I bet it makes ya miss that old NA setup? Boost can be finicky but very rewarding when its working.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Bummer man...I hope your luck changes. Not to throw salt in the wounds but I bet it makes ya miss that old NA setup? Boost can be finicky but very rewarding when its working.
Thanks! You hit the nail right on the head. I really wished I had put an ls3 with a nice H/C/I setup on it almost every day... and I still may. I just really miss being n/a because it feels more raw to me and a nice cammed car is pure sex.

My alternator took a dump on me and only put out 12.41 volts coming out of it. With the deraile pusher fans, it just sucked it dry and made it go lean... death to the 6.0. I had a local shop rebuild it and he said it was completely smoked. He said he didn't even know how it worked at all, but now I had a 160amp vs the stock 105 so hopefully I won't have anymore problems.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 AM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Thanks! You hit the nail right on the head. I really wished I had put an ls3 with a nice H/C/I setup on it almost every day... and I still may. I just really miss being n/a because it feels more raw to me and a nice cammed car is pure sex.

My alternator took a dump on me and only put out 12.41 volts coming out of it. With the deraile pusher fans, it just sucked it dry and made it go lean... death to the 6.0. I had a local shop rebuild it and he said it was completely smoked. He said he didn't even know how it worked at all, but now I had a 160amp vs the stock 105 so hopefully I won't have anymore problems.
Sorry about all your bad luck.

I know guys around me that go through up to 4 JY motors a year on boost. They are real good at RnR motors. lol
Old 11-01-2016, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I feel your pain...I had one of the first prochargers around on a LT1 back in 2002-2003. It was a total pain in the ***...nothing fit right, the entire kit was ****. Procharger has since come a long way, but man it made me wish that I had just went FBO with that car, then cam & heads later.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nitrous is yay
Old 11-01-2016, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

I told Erek from day 1 when I heard you wanted a turbo setup. It was a bad idea. And car was just to great/nice of a N/A setup to change it.

And of course my own woes with putting 5 motors in my C-10, I knew first hand.

but live and learn right? lol
Old 11-01-2016, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Nitrous is yay
Yessth
Old 11-01-2016, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous makes you slow.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

I'm slow in the head
Old 11-01-2016, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by islander033
Sorry about all your bad luck.

I know guys around me that go through up to 4 JY motors a year on boost. They are real good at RnR motors. lol
Thanks man! I'm hoping this one will last until I see what direction I want to go with the car though lol
I feel your pain...I had one of the first prochargers around on a LT1 back in 2002-2003. It was a total pain in the ***...nothing fit right, the entire kit was ****. Procharger has since come a long way, but man it made me wish that I had just went FBO with that car, then cam & heads later.
Yeah it has definitely burned through a few things with the hotside that we thought were tied up lol. I am leaning towards just putting my car money back towards a nice n/a build and then selling all of the turbo stuff when the time comes.
Originally Posted by static low 92
I told Erek from day 1 when I heard you wanted a turbo setup. It was a bad idea. And car was just to great/nice of a N/A setup to change it.

And of course my own woes with putting 5 motors in my C-10, I knew first hand.

but live and learn right? lol
Yeah, Erek tried telling me that before I did it too lol. It has been nothing but a nightmare from the beginning of it all. My car alone has made him not want to ever work on another car again This last time still has us stumped... we honestly don't know exactly what happened. If it weren't for Erek, my car would be sitting right now. But it's running good now, so heads are up. The bumper is going back on this weekend, We're going to swap out the fuel pump, and then hopefully track down the goofy traction control issue. After that I'm throwing methanol on it and having a moderate tune on around 600-650rwhp it so it will live for a very long time lol. I almost hate my car right now, but hopefully that changes.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Good runs guys!
Old 11-02-2016, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

That's ok, I got the LT1 running ok N/A for you. If jake listens to King, **** gun get real.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

How was the power/power delivery? My buddy is debating getting a procharger for his, or going 383 stroker
Old 11-04-2016, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nick.H
How was the power/power delivery? My buddy is debating getting a procharger for his, or going 383 stroker
It made 430/440 on a bone stock LT1 down to the manifolds with 7lbs. It cracked #8 ring land with a wrong tune from PCM 4 less...stay away from those ******* idiots. So I had a shop install a 383 short block from Golen with blower cam and stock head/intake. Car never ran right after wards. The shop took like a year to finish the car then decided the only way they would touch is to put it back to NA. So I sold the blower kit and used that money to get the heads and intake ported. With blower pistons in the holes, I could only get the compression up to 10.1 and the quench was off. It still ran decent but nothing like it could have. Enough to pull a BPU Supra which made like 420whp.

After getting fucked around by that shop, I vowed to do all my own work from there on out. We have a nice lift with every tool under the sun, so doing this stuff is pretty easy. Need to open up shop on the side and help people out that are not as mechanically inclined. It's funny to think back 15yrs ago all these performance shops popped up and 75% or better went under because they were a bunch of **** sticks that really did not know what they are doing. The biggest thing I noticed was these shops took on huge debt by purchasing a dyno with a massive shop and had to take on more work then they could handle to try and pay the bills. When to do it right you need to work a regular job and do this stuff on the side only taking on 1-2 projects at a time unless you had the capital to buy the facility, equipment, and hire a good staff. But who can do that in this day in age with inflation where it's...anyway /rant

Sold the car in 2009 to Camonly and bought a LSjuan. The crank ended up breaking in the 383, luckily Golen offered lifetime warranty on that specific short block, so I got them to replace it(10yrs later!) and while it was apart we opted to put some mahle flat tops in it to get the compression up to 11.1 and the quench is right. So now its a Solid roller 383 on E85 tuned by Solomon and runs pretty good.

All that being said procharger has came along way and make a much better kit then they use to. The D1 will make 600whp on a 383 LT1 with good heads and intake. If just using the stock top end, 550whp on the 13-15lbs. The problem with forced induction on a 4th gen is you are cramming 10lbs of **** in a 2lb box. Overall I am more happy with a good NA setup.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 11-04-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
That's ok, I got the LT1 running ok N/A for you. If jake listens to King, **** gun get real.

The best improvement was when that 383 crank broke and I got Golen to replace it under warranty. Getting those blower pistons out in place of some mahle flat tops really helped it. The solid roller was the icing on the cake.

Quick Reply: Cwarta VS RedFuryZ28