Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Street Racing downshifting ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street Racing downshifting ????

I THINK this is a place to ask this cause this is where all the street racers are but....when racing on the street with a M6 you downshift to second when 50 and under I have heard a lot. What's the highest speed you would want to downshift to 1 when roll racing? 25? 30? 35?
Old 07-13-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

30... downshifting into first isn't a good idea in the first place but when its a must, racing on the roll, I wouldn't go over 30, its hard on the clutch and the gears, when at all costs, doa high roll in second or do it from a stop, downshifting into first is hard on the car. Actually I'd say 25...
Old 07-13-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

20 mph would be down shifting into first, and 25 is pushing it since 30 mph is topped out for first gear...

other then that your gear selection is not to tough for you to figure out

Gray
Old 07-13-2004, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks. Wasn't sure. Just making sure I don't make LS1's look bad losing races I shouldn't.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBronco
20 mph would be down shifting into first, and 25 is pushing it since 30 mph is topped out for first gear...

other then that your gear selection is not to tough for you to figure out

Gray

i usually can get up to 45mph in 1st gear. 30mph topped out for first gear, what are u smoking
Old 07-13-2004, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

I'm suprised no one has mentioned double clutching. When you double clutch into first gear (or any gear, this should always be done when you are drastically going to be raising the RPM's) bring the rpm's up before you downshift, bring your tach up (while in neutral) to the rpm's you will land at and push into first gear at the given mph before you downshift. If you do this the tranny goes into first gear or any gear smoothly without burning the clutch or wearing synchros.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Double clutching serves no purpous... unless you're a Porsche Turbo on Leguna Seca... NA cars don't need to double clutch and neither do cars with SC, you're wasting your time.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:00 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6speedemon
Double clutching serves no purpous... unless you're a Porsche Turbo on Leguna Seca... NA cars don't need to double clutch and neither do cars with SC, you're wasting your time.
Try a 6th to 3rd shift at 70mph.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

While most of us wouldnt call what we do "Double Clutching" We all pull from the gear, try to match RPMs and synch into the gear we want to drop down to.

SouthFL is right
Old 07-14-2004, 07:41 AM
STF Veteran

granny shifting... not double clutching like you should've... now the mad scientist and i have to pick apart your engine and replace all the welds on the intake!
Old 07-14-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
granny shifting... not double clutching like you should've... now the mad scientist and i have to pick apart your engine and replace all the welds on the intake!

Old 07-14-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

I never do 1st. If in a roll race at a slow start I would do mid to top of 2nd.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What we do is not called double clutching. We have synchros, therefore we dont need to. Its called rev matching. you bring your RPM's up to like say 4 grand, while at 20-25 in first, and let out the clutch. It just goes into gear smooothly no, big lunge or anything. DONT EVER REFERE TO DOUBLE CLUTCHING AND FBODYS AGAIN.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm, first takes me up to 52 MPH with a stock rev limit and stock rear gears. Ive dropped back into first as high as upper 30's, but I wouldnt make a habit of it. Besides, dropping the clutch in first gear will make the car go sideways quite easily.
-T
Old 07-14-2004, 11:31 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think someone has been playing a little too much GT3. While he was wrong with the terminology ... "Rev Matching" is actually extremely good for our cars, especially when doing such a drastic RPM switch as to go from neutral or 5/6th gears, to 1st gear at 30 ish or so.

Btw gray ... 30mph??? I don't even think my first gear ends that low, and I have 4.10's.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have downshifted to first at 28mph before, spun like hell, and like UNIT told me "you wasted your time and a shift"......
Old 07-14-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Double clutching was an old throwback from driving very old performance cars or normal cars without synchros in their manual transmissions. Double clutching was the act of (for example):

Driving in third around 2k rpm, clucth in, select neutral, let clutch out, rev engine to 3K rpm, clutch in, select second gear, clutch out.

Basically this got the clutch, the tranny's main and countershafts, as well as all the gears and other components with rotating mass all moving at the proper speed before the final gear selection. This was important on cars without synchronizers as there was no way to get the gears dog teeth to match speed befor ethey engage.

Double clutching is not (so) important to do on a modern car with synchros. Revmatching, however, is quite beneficial. Revmatching is simply having the engine spun up to the proper RPM before engaging the clutch. The shifter does not need to be in neutral like doubleclutching. Revmatching will take alot of stress off of the clutch and all driveline components during vast RPM differences inherant of a big downshift.

-Tony
Old 07-14-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
I think someone has been playing a little too much GT3. While he was wrong with the terminology ... "Rev Matching" is actually extremely good for our cars, especially when doing such a drastic RPM switch as to go from neutral or 5/6th gears, to 1st gear at 30 ish or so.

Btw gray ... 30mph??? I don't even think my first gear ends that low, and I have 4.10's.
I don't have a play station 2 thanks... and if you watch road racing at all, ON TV, you would know that one doesn't have tog et the idea of LEguna Seca from GT3. I know what yall mean by rev matching. I tried 30 mph downshifting into first today, and its gotta be hard on the car, I wouldn't make a habit of it. I know what yall mean by rev matching at like 6th to 3rd, I've just never referred to it as rev matching, plus aren't you going to be using the brakes a bit? As miles per hour come down you should be able to get into third without much of a problem
Old 07-14-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Skarecrow

LOL how many times have you seen that movie?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:49 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a play station 2 thanks... and if you watch road racing at all, ON TV, you would know that one doesn't have tog et the idea of LEguna Seca from GT3. I know what yall mean by rev matching. I tried 30 mph downshifting into first today, and its gotta be hard on the car, I wouldn't make a habit of it. I know what yall mean by rev matching at like 6th to 3rd, I've just never referred to it as rev matching, plus aren't you going to be using the brakes a bit? As miles per hour come down you should be able to get into third without much of a problem
Obviously you have a tough time handling jokes. Once you hang out in this section for more then 50 some-odd posts, you will find that we are all buddy-buddy and joke around with each other constantly. Makes this section fun. If you can't handle the jokes, and are going to take everything as a personal insult ... we can put a note under your username that lets everyone know not to joke around with you.
As for your 30mph downshift ... if you actually rev-match it correctly, it will not be hard on your car .... that is the whole purpose of rev-matching. If you do it incorrectly, or do not do it at all, then it will be difficult.

And honestly no, I hardly ever watch road racing on TV ... I have better things to do with my life then watch a bunch of cars go in circles for a few hours.