Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ALL S.R.T-4 guys and ls1techers INSIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Not to be in the camp of the S.R.T 4 guys camp, but there is a small argument that the S R T 4 is not a neon. My logic comes from one of GM's best cars ever, the GTO. We all know that it was "just" a glorified tempest but damn was it fast. It looked like a tempest, smelled like a tempest, tasted like a tempest....but how many people that are not pretty well versed in car history know what the 64 GTO really was?

However, I still think the S R T 4 is a neon, just one you gotta look out for.

If I did my math correctly, it will cost about 2500-3000 dollars (minus installation?) to get the S R T into the mid 11's. Well my LS1 can do that pretty easily too. H/C, LT's should get me there with some tires and that isny that much money.

One last question, what does the federal government thing the S R T 4 is? A neon or not? What about insurence companies. I know my friends evo was considered a lancer untill about six months ago by his insurence company (I wonder why so many people with this "Evo" option package is getting so many 100+ speeding tickets"-insurence person)

-Todd
Hmm... I thought for a while, at least, they called it the Tempest GTO? I could be wrong, but that is what I saw on car and driver television the other day, at least(though, may not be the best source of info)
Old 07-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
So, what is the benefit of going with a small engine and small car?
For me personally it is the accomplishment. I grew up drag racing with my pops in his 62 shoe box Nova. It had a healthy little 327 that spun to 8500 rpm and ran low 10's @ 127. He also drag raced a 16' Texas Tunnel with a BBC.

I know V8's are fast and can be made so easily and cheaply. I guess I just like the satisfaction of doing it the hard/expensive way. Although I dont really like to spend more money(I'm a cheap ***) there is always that illusion.

I guess I like to be the underdog also.

Old 07-29-2004, 05:30 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I used to own a 4.6L GT. I remember using that "underdog" phrase before. After getting my *** dusted enough times, being the underdog wasn't nearly as much fun.

My 10-second Formula looked just like a V6 firebird, especially when I put the 16" chrome Firebird wheels/tires on it and went prowling. THATs being an underdog
Old 07-29-2004, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I used to own a 4.6L GT. I remember using that "underdog" phrase before. After getting my *** dusted enough times, being the underdog wasn't nearly as much fun.

My 10-second Formula looked just like a V6 firebird, especially when I put the 16" chrome Firebird wheels/tires on it and went prowling. THATs being an underdog

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I LOOOOOOVE sleepers.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:30 PM
FormerVendor

our opinion of a sleeper is way off from yours bud.....a formula is a sleeper here or a ls1 w/ a sleeper cam...not some go cart w/ a body kit and a leaf blower bolted on
Old 07-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bowtie4life
our opinion of a sleeper is way off from yours bud.....a formula is a sleeper here or a ls1 w/ a sleeper cam...not some go cart w/ a body kit and a leaf blower bolted on
Wow no love at all huh
Old 07-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Launching!

HMMMM!!! So a car that runs low 13's high 12's stock is a sleeper?

As far as the body kit and leaf blower. I said sleeper not ricer.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Your opinion of a sleeper is way off of mine, and probably a lot of other people as well.

A sleeper is something you don't expect to be fast, but is. If you pull up next to an LS1 thinking it isn't fast, you aren't a victim of a sleeper, you are a victim of stupidity.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by apathy
Your opinion of a sleeper is way off of mine, and probably a lot of other people as well.

A sleeper is something you don't expect to be fast, but is. If you pull up next to an LS1 thinking it isn't fast, you aren't a victim of a sleeper, you are a victim of stupidity.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

If you pull up next to an LS1 thinking it isn't fast, you aren't a victim of a sleeper, you are a victim of stupidity.
Very well Put!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Launching!

If you pull up next to an LS1 thinking it isn't fast, you aren't a victim of a sleeper, you are a victim of stupidity.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Exactly
Old 07-29-2004, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

For a little econobox, i respect that NeonNeonNeon4's have *****.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Banned

So there was a war between you guys here and the neon guys. Interesting. Mullets vs. ricers. Lets get ready to rumble. lol. why do you call them the neonneonneon guys?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Yes we have mullets don't we. Well if stereotypes were true i would say your a lying dick. Oh wait you have proven that. You act like your big and bad because you have a boxster. MY 17 yr old Gf has one, her favorite color is pink and loves her car because its cute. Most common owners of boxsters are recently divorced women. Almost no men drive boxsters, this makes you even more gay.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Banned

No, thats a stereotype; boxster owners like chicks not dicks. Well, I can't speak for all of them but I like *****.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Boxster owners are women. If a man buys a Porsche its at least a Carrera. The Boxster is mostly owned by divorced women. You might as well go buya Saab convertible. Get a car that has some power, one that is not mostly owned by women, then talk ****.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Banned

Let's see some facts to back that up. I bet the male/female ratio is about the same for the vette. Back up your claim. At the boxster forum there is like 3 chicks and 1,000 middle-aged men there. I don't think your are right. Now, the beetle is a chicks car. Or the eclipse to some extent. I go to a corvette club meeting in my county and half the members are middle-aged women. mmmm.... Just because your gf has a boxster doesn't mean ****. you need more than that pal. Actually, don't waste your time searching I could really not give two ***** how many chicks drive a boxster. I like mine and thats all that matters. Maybe your just pissed that your GF has a nicer, more expensive car than you. Get over it. BTW, I have a boxster S not a boxster. Oh, yeah, I see chicks driving around cumaros all the time. Mostly the v6 variety but thats still a cumaro right, just like a boxster s is a boxster.

Last edited by Porsche_Daddy; 07-29-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Porsche_Daddy
Let's see some facts to back that up. I bet the male/female ratio is about the same for the vette. Back up your claim. At the boxster forum there is like 3 chicks and 1,000 middle-aged men there. I don't think your are right. Now, the beetle is a chicks car. Or the eclipse to some extent. I go to a corvette club meeting in my county and half the members are middle-aged women. mmmm.... Just because your gf has a boxster doesn't mean ****. you need more than that pal. Actually, don't waste your time searching I could really not give two ***** how many chicks drive a boxster. I like mine and thats all that matters. Maybe your just pissed that your GF has a nicer, more expensive car than you. Get over it. BTW, I have a boxster S not a boxster. Oh, yeah, I see chicks driving around cumaros all the time. Mostly the v6 variety but thats still a cumaro right, just like a boxster s is a boxster.
Probably not the best idea to insult Camaros on an LS1 forum. Boxters were never made for drag racing, but they will rip the **** out of any F-body on an autocross. They are most definatly a lot of fun to drive, just don't expect much power.

-Todd
Old 07-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Banned

Yeah, I just like to give them alittle dose of there own meds. We're just breaking *****. Thats funny that you said autocross, because I just found out i'm going to an autocross next weekend. It will be fun to push the porsche the way it was suppossed to be. Not much but straight roads around here so it will be a nice welcome change. Going fast in a staight line is fun, but it's nice when you can let it all hang out in the turns with a capable car. Porsche has always claimed it's dominance not in the straights, but in the turns.

Oh, and I know that some of you guys aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree but if you can somehow find a way to spell boxster correctly maybe I can find the right way to spell cumaro.

Last edited by Porsche_Daddy; 07-29-2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've helped build up my friends 944, its got about 350 RWHP. My LS1 can hang with it...but i tried once on a curvy road....it was not pretty for the Camaro.