Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

EVO VS LS1 (stock)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was about to race an EVO...kinda scared. but after he took off in one lane of the strip i was cruising, i never saw it again. scared or not we were gonna run for ***** n giggles...
Old 08-15-2004, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

I've made a decision to run, regardless of the opponent. Even if the other person is
obviously going to kick my tail, (like a Z06 w/BOV popping) I am gonna go. If nothing
else, I can use those races as a measuring stick.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry...Ive been gone the past few days, and need to set some **** straight.

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
Its all about track location, (west texas) it was about 80deg, w/65%hum. my times are on par for "wall dragway". My buddys '02 z28 ran a 13.92, a diff friend in a 99 T/A ran a 14.29 and a guy i know with an 11sec 2000 T/A said he ran a best of 14.2 out there when he was stock. all the cars listed are A4 and were bone stock at the time.

another thing that may have contributed to my times--about a week after i ran, my SES light came on due to a clogged cat on bank 2, i had the warranty replace it, and it seemed to be more responsive after that. im sure they dont colg up over night so i prob wasnt running its best that night at the track.
I think its funny how the only 2 guys that have said anything about my times dont even have f-bodys..
First off, yes I do have an Fbody. A high 12 second car with only intake, exhaust, and 3.73's. Not much invested to make it 12 seconds. As for your point on track location...I completely agree, yes humidity and a hot day will definatly raise your times. Now your 60' was ok, I mean I only hit a 1.998 on my 12.9 second pass. your not that much higher than me. But your mph was really really low. It seems like from the times.....that your car was being choked off by the cat. We wont know until you get back to track with your new cat.

By the way. I wasnt trying to flame you or anything on your times. I just hate to see ls1's post such slow times, no matter how the conditions are. That is mainly where we get all the ricers coming around saying they can beat us.

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
I understand that you are on an LS1 board, but would it kill anyone to actually respect ALL forms of automotive enthusiasm? whether it be import or domestic. I mean ive been hanging around here a bit and i see the posts that call EVO owners ricers etc...no real reasons to call them ricers. Just doing it out of hate or spite, whatever the reason. No real legitamte reason behind it. Because i drive an import doesnt mean im a ricer. I have owed chevy's also. suprisingly never a ford though.
Being ricer is not what you drive, well it can be depending on how stupid you make your car look, in essence it is a mentallity. Being ricer is mainly the attitude of my car is the best damned thing on the road and nothing is faster than me. Also check out the The ALMIGHTY Eagle Talon!..... lol post, that guy that natronathon wanted to race is the true definition of a ricer. Read my post from another ls1 vs. evo post from earlier this month.

Originally Posted by quote by me from another EVO Vs. LS1 post
I would just like to make a quick point. Everyone that i have seen with an evo talks smack all day long about how great their cars are. They all have that 'ricer mentality', which is "my car is awd and has a turbo with 16psi....of course I can take your ls1....its all power to weight ratio." I have yet to meet and evo, sti, or s.rt4 owner that dosnt think this way....and one that can beat me. (not including those few owners on this board who understand their cars are not gods gift to ricers.) Anway back to my point. Even after you kill them from a roll, from a dig, from what ever situation they want, they still dont want to give you credit for haveing a faster car. Its alway I missed a shift, or I didnt get a good launch, or I didnt double clutch and granny shift when I should have (hah, had to toss that in). HELLO...did you not hear me tearing my tires a new one through first....You 'were' 1.5 cars ahead of me on the launch, what happend when I blew your doors off when I hit 3rd?....

Geeze, anyway the point it the evo is a great car in its own right. They are quick, and when modded can give us one helluva run for our money. But out of the box these cars are nothing to write home about.
Sorry for the little rant guys. no harm no foul.

Fry
Old 08-15-2004, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frey51
First off, yes I do have an Fbody. A high 12 second car with only intake, exhaust, and 3.73's. Not much invested to make it 12 seconds. As for your point on track location...I completely agree, yes humidity and a hot day will definatly raise your times. Now your 60' was ok, I mean I only hit a 1.998 on my 12.9 second pass. your not that much higher than me. But your mph was really really low. It seems like from the times.....that your car was being choked off by the cat. We wont know until you get back to track with your new cat.

By the way. I wasnt trying to flame you or anything on your times. I just hate to see ls1's post such slow times, no matter how the conditions are. That is mainly where we get all the ricers coming around saying they can beat us.
Fry
It's cool I understand what your sayin

As for my car being choked off, it was. after picking it up from the shop it was a totaly diff car.
I just bought a stall, So some time in the next week or 2 im going to get it plus headers & duals put on at TSP. Hopefuly I can break a 12 by my next time at the track.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the stall is the 3200 you have in your coming soon list in your sig, you will be very happy. My buddy had a lt1 with a 3200 on it and it came out of the hole like a crack head that just stole your shoes. Good luck, and post up your new times when ya get'em

Fry
Old 08-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Some people just have a talent for finding arsehole import owners I guess

Seriously, Ive met many Evo owners and most of them were late 20s or older and really cool people. The only arogant idiot enthusiasts I see are the people who hang out in parking lots etc. And around here thats as much domestics as it is imports. Odd. Well Im about to move to AZ so maybe I will be on the same page as you guys soon.

Right now I live in CO. And about bad times, at this atatude a 14 flat stock F-body is quite respectable. Stock Mustang GTs run like 15 or so a lot of the time apperantly. A lot of the confusion about who can beat who comes from this. Up here force induction cars have and advantage and its possible an Evo would pull on an LS1untill a much higher speed than down in the southwest or in the New England/great lakes areas.

Anyway:
The Evo is definitely not a tank. I have yet to talk to anyone or read any mags that did not say it was some of the best handling this side of 50K. Mario or whoever might be used to the more linear power and RWD of the Fox platform. Not to mention that his old Fox quite possibly was a better handler with the right parts and braces. Add to that the settings he probably had which are more aggresive than the understeer prone safer setting used on virtualy all new cars, and he might feel that way. Tell him to use his downshifts to put weight to the front and quicken the turn in then use the AWD to get insane exit speeds

And 3500 for a clutch sounds like an after market clutch flywheel combo. The Exedy is a awesome clutch, claimed to be the best for the Evo, and its a little under 1500 at the shops that I have seen. A premo cromemoly or aluminum flywheel might make it 3500 if you throw in labor too. ACT 2600 clutches are like $400 though, and they will take cars into the 12s ans 11s no sweat.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by apathy
Is that dumber than buying a 14 second LS1?

The world may never know.
Or a 15 sec mustang????
Old 08-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Its all about track location, (west texas) it was about 80deg, w/65%hum. my times are on par for "wall dragway". My buddys '02 z28 ran a 13.92, a diff friend in a 99 T/A ran a 14.29 and a guy i know with an 11sec 2000 T/A said he ran a best of 14.2 out there when he was stock. all the cars listed are A4 and were bone stock at the time.

another thing that may have contributed to my times--about a week after i ran, my SES light came on due to a clogged cat on bank 2, i had the warranty replace it, and it seemed to be more responsive after that. im sure they dont colg up over night so i prob wasnt running its best that night at the track.
My friend has an '02 SS and he's had the cats clog 3 times already, all replaced under warranty. This has GOT to be a flaw in the cars' design, as I have owned a great deal of cars and never had a cat clog.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ironheart1
My friend has an '02 SS and he's had the cats clog 3 times already, all replaced under warranty. This has GOT to be a flaw in the cars' design, as I have owned a great deal of cars and never had a cat clog.
After this upcoming monday i wont have to worry about clogged cats any more. I have an Appointment with TSP for 9:00am on the 30th. Headers, dual, & Stall here i come, Man I can't wait
Old 08-23-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blubyeu2000
Or a 15 sec mustang????
I wouldn't know, mine is in the 13s.

Quick Reply: EVO VS LS1 (stock)