Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 formula vs 'modded civic'

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 formula vs 'modded civic'

im just cruising around with my two friends and i stop at a stop sign and i see this civic fly by with a fart cannon and some stickers...the usual ricer crap. i was in no hurry to go anywhere special, so i decided to turn and catch up. he gets caught at a red light, so i catch up and pull up next to him. needless to say, i have two race-crazy friends with me, and they convince me to try and race. i noticed a few guages and what not...so i rev up, and it sounds ok...but could be better considering my car is 100% stock, but he doesnt even flinch. i just say sorry to my friends and say i guess he doesnt want any, and i waited for the light. ends up he really did wanna race, cause he sure as hell took off at the light, surprised the hell outta me, cause i ended up popping out the clutch and spinning through 1st and second, and i even had to let off for a sec cause my back end was sliding left, and there was cars in the turn lane coming toward us. anyway, once i stopped spinning, he was only 1 car ahead, if that!! i ended up shifting from 2nd right to 4th, just to make my friends laugh. and i still took him by a few cars. all the ricers around here are the same...they think a new wing, stickers, and a fart cannon will give them all this hp and can take anyone. i saw one guy in a 3000gt, and was just being friendly and asked what he had under the hood, cause it was a nice looking car....and he tried to say he had a v8.....can you even fit a v8 in one of those ?
Old 09-05-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

You could fit a V-8 in one of those. The physical car is the same size as the LS1 F-bodies or close enough. However those are Single Turbo V6's. If it's the VR-4 it's a twin turboed V6. There was also the SL model which was a plain FWD NA V6. In any case unless it's got some mods a 3000GT can't take a LS1. Although from a stop they will get off the line faster due to better traction. I'm speaking about the VR-4.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
You could fit a V-8 in one of those. The physical car is the same size as the LS1 F-bodies or close enough. However those are Single Turbo V6's. If it's the VR-4 it's a twin turboed V6. There was also the SL model which was a plain FWD NA V6. In any case unless it's got some mods a 3000GT can't take a LS1. Although from a stop they will get off the line faster due to better traction. I'm speaking about the VR-4.

The twin turbo one only uses twin turbos when it is going like 120 or something. They weigh so freakin much they launch slowly.

Good kill btw. 2 to fourth. HAH.

-Todd
Old 09-05-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
What single turbo V6 are you talkin' about? The only turbo'ed 3000GT's are the VR-4's, which are TT'ed.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
They weigh so freakin much they launch slowly.
Keep thinking that way, and you'll happen upon one that will hand you your ***.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Clipper
Keep thinking that way, and you'll happen upon one that will hand you your ***.
I wasn't saying that they are slow at launch, I was saying that the AWD does have less as an impact as say from an EVO since the weight is a factor.

I see so few of them out there nowdays though. Especially ones that have engine mods.

-Todd
Old 09-07-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

If I recall correctly the Twin Turbo 3000gt produced close to if not 300hp....and that isnt at 120mph.

I may be wrong, who knows.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Usually when you ask someone what they have (at least in my experiences) they say their CI like 350, 383, 427. Not "its a v-8" So I would have to say no, probalby not
Old 09-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Beware of 3000gt's...
The VR-4s are about a 14 sec. flat car outta the show room. Boost controller, good downpipes, yadda yadda yadda, they can be quick cars. As far as them being heavy cars, they are heavy for an import, but they really dont weigh much more than an f-body. And you can fit a v8 in those cars, I have personally saw and got raped by an LS6 powered 300Z, it was quite impressive. I haven't saw a v8 in a 3000gt yet, but I'm sure its possible. And the twin turbo gts definately kick in waaaay before 120 mph, its just like a regular turbo, 2500ish rpms and they are pretty well spooled up and screaming.