Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed a GT Mach 1 - A religous experience!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Killed a GT Mach 1 - A religous experience!

On my way to church last sunday Killed a mod'd Mach1 - GT in a fairly close run. A younger guy with his girl in the car did the usual rev thing as they passed. I dropped from 3rd down to 2nd. Actually gave him time to let the rev's come down, additionally let him hit his gas first and then I nailed it. Realized this was more than I was used to I pushed my Firehawk harder than usual. Ran it up in 2nd quickly, passed him shifting into 3rd and stayed on it hard through 4th. Still only held 1/2 to 3/4 car length until I let off. It was a good run and probably one of the faster newer M 1 GT's I've raced. We did the sign off wave as I turned left under the freeway and he turned right. I was impressed that he did the run with his girl in the car. I don't think I will be as nice to the next M1 GT owner. I will not give up the 1/2 car length at the start.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:18 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2kHawk05
On my way to church last sunday Killed a mod'd Mach1 - GT in a fairly close run. A younger guy with his girl in the car did the usual rev thing as they passed. I dropped from 3rd down to 2nd. Actually gave him time to let the rev's come down, additionally let him hit his gas first and then I nailed it. Realized this was more than I was used to I pushed my Firehawk harder than usual. Ran it up in 2nd quickly, passed him shifting into 3rd and stayed on it hard through 4th. Still only held 1/2 to 3/4 car length until I let off. It was a good run and probably one of the faster newer M 1 GT's I've raced. We did the sign off wave as I turned left under the freeway and he turned right. I was impressed that he did the run with his girl in the car. I don't think I will be as nice to the next M1 GT owner. I will not give up the 1/2 car length at the start.
Good run I wouldn't say that you killed it but you won non the less.. Just one ? You have all of those mods in your sig and you only pulled a 1/2 car lenth on him all the way through 4th, sounds like that car was running pretty good..The only thing that bugs me is that you say Mach1 GT.. First, our cars are nothing like a GT Mustang. Different motor, gears, suspention, interior, etc.. And they are alot faster.. The one you raced probably didn't have too many mods done to it either.. Thats all I have to say try not to get the Mach1 confused with the GT..

Last edited by dan03mach; 09-23-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah nice kill, but please don't confuse the Mach with the GT. Totally different car.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, it's either a Mach 1 or a GT.

GT has the 2V SOHC engine and the Mach 1 has the 4V DOHC engine...totally different animals
Old 09-23-2004, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Nice kill, you either ran a modded Mach or a really modded GT, did it say GT if it did Im sure it was a modded dressed up GT.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Hawk said "I will not give up the 1/2 car length at the start." Seems to me he did pretty good since he let the Mach get the jump on him like that. Good Kill
Old 09-23-2004, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Hawk said "I will not give up the 1/2 car length at the start." Seems to me he did pretty good since he let the Mach get the jump on him like that. Good Kill
So lets say with an even start he would have won by........................a car??? I guess thats a pretty religious experience. Either way I agree, its either a lightly modded Mach or a heavily modded GT.....................I love the whole Mach 1 GT Mustang though.

Good kill either way.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

yeah....nice of you to let him have a move on ya.....next time i say just kill it and Git R Duun! haha....oh yeah big difference between GT's and Mach 1's.....Mach's will sometimes give you a run for your money....GT's BARELY give u a run...unless of course the guys got heads, cam, gears, exhaust, etc. but thats the same way with every car really....nice kill
Old 09-23-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, nice kill, but you gotta brush up on your knowledge of mustangs, or the lack there of...
Old 09-23-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Well, nice kill, but you gotta brush up on your knowledge of mustangs, or the lack there of...
For real, never heard of Mustangs doing cam swaps (plural, four of them) or swapping heads. Mostly only Vortechs, Powerdynes, and recently KB's.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MillaTK
My bad, I just realized you were probably talking to the person that started the thread, not the SS clone guy. Whoops.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

DAyum mach 1's are so clean looking for a stang
Old 09-23-2004, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
For real, never heard of Mustangs doing cam swaps (plural, four of them) or swapping heads. Mostly only Vortechs, Powerdynes, and recently KB's.
I will be doing a cam swap (all 4 ) around christmas time. Should give me some good gains with my heads ported at the same time.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
My bad, I just realized you were probably talking to the person that started the thread, not the SS clone guy. Whoops.
good one!

Oh and SSclone was talking about a GT at that point, so it will only be 2 cams
Old 09-23-2004, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Ok - this is my 3rd time to attempt to reply. Thanks to Ravenous for the acknowledgement of giving up a 1/2 car length at the start. Quite frankly, I never paid that close attention to how many valves the Mach 1 has vs. the GT. I do know I have not lost to any Mach 1 or GT, Cobra or Saleen S281 yet. Any and most of them Mod'd. Believe me, I know there are plenty Mustang productions out there that will smoke me. I am not the guy out there, on the hunt looking for a race. I have lost plenty of races too. A couple C5's (before mods), A WS6 car (before mods) and a Z06 (after mods). The Z06 was heavily mod'd as the owner claimed it was an 11.50 car (cam, heads, polished, ported, etc. etc.) and he actually made excuses about wheel spin when he did not just absolutely smoke me. My question to that is, If you have all these mod's, why don't you have the tires to match the hp? Don't make excuses. My goal is to get MT Street ET's asap. Only after I get the PCM re-programmed. My SES light continues to bug me and I cannot get it to stop. PO171 & PO174. Lean on bank 1 & 2. I have checked & rechecked for Vacuum leaks. bought a MAF Translator - that did not help. What is the definition of insanity? Spending a couple grand to make your car go faster, run out of cash and then you cannot get it running right. Fear of an internal engine melt down and losing your engine.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok - this is my 3rd time to attempt to reply. Thanks to Ravenous for the acknowledgement of giving up a 1/2 car length at the start. Quite frankly, I never paid that close attention to how many valves the Mach 1 has vs. the GT. I do know I have not lost to any Mach 1 or GT, Cobra or Saleen S281 yet. Any and most of them Mod'd. Believe me, I know there are plenty Mustang productions out there that will smoke me. I am not the guy out there, on the hunt looking for a race. I have lost plenty of races too. A couple C5's (before mods), A WS6 car (before mods) and a Z06 (after mods). The Z06 was heavily mod'd as the owner claimed it was an 11.50 car (cam, heads, polished, ported, etc. etc.) and he actually made excuses about wheel spin when he did not just absolutely smoke me. My question to that is, If you have all these mod's, why don't you have the tires to match the hp? Don't make excuses. My goal is to get MT Street ET's asap. Only after I get the PCM re-programmed. My SES light continues to bug me and I cannot get it to stop. PO171 & PO174. Lean on bank 1 & 2. I have checked & rechecked for Vacuum leaks. bought a MAF Translator - that did not help. What is the definition of insanity? Spending a couple grand to make your car go faster, run out of cash and then you cannot get it running right. Fear of an internal engine melt down and losing your engine.
Nice kill on the Mach.

Save yourself the hassle and just buy a 12 bolt now if you plan on running ET Streets. I see you list "SLP clutch package" in your sig (whatever that is) so I'm assuming you have an M6.

You questioned why one would mod their car and not buy the right tires. There is no tire that's going to hold 5 or 600rwhp on the street without getting them hot/sticky. I can roast 315 Nitto DR's well into 3rd gear. It's different at a prepped track. So the answer to your question is that it's very difficult to maintain traction on the street with a high hp car regardless of the tire.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteTXMach
I will be doing a cam swap (all 4 ) around christmas time. Should give me some good gains with my heads ported at the same time.
have fun with that

Does not sound fun to swap four cams out..at all.

All of this "we don't drive GT's" is funny as **** btw. Looks like some more wars are going on in the mustang world

"I don't drive a GT"

It sounds a lot like:

"I don't drive a neon!"

jk guys heh

-Todd
Old 09-23-2004, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

[ Nice kill on the Mach.

Save yourself the hassle and just buy a 12 bolt now if you plan on running ET Streets. I see you list "SLP clutch package" in your sig (whatever that is) so I'm assuming you have an M6.

You questioned why one would mod their car and not buy the right tires. There is no tire that's going to hold 5 or 600rwhp on the street without getting them hot/sticky. I can roast 315 Nitto DR's well into 3rd gear. It's different at a prepped track. So the answer to your question is that it's very difficult to maintain traction on the street with a high hp car regardless of the tire.]

Thanks for the 12 bolt advice when the Street ET's are purchased. Only a mod at a time and the mod's seem to be getting further & further apart. I still need to get the darn PCM re-programmed. It's killing me...
Old 09-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I still need to get the darn PCM re-programmed. It's killing me...
That's a must.

Just pick up some drag radials if you want to keep the stock 10bolt rear end. It'll last for a while on those. ET Streets will grenade it sooner than later.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:37 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Y2kHawk05 if you are ever in the DFW area look me up I would like to run your car sometime.. Mine doesn't really have that much stuff done to it just exhaust and gears mainly.. I think it would be a good run.. I don't even have stickys right now. I burned up my ET Streets at the track 2 weeks ago..