Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got killed by a Supra

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanSSull
Only 25 psi? Holy crap! (Just joking around)

Supra's are fast, but they are fast because they are good RWD cars, with a turbo stock. They aren't the greatest thing to man. Just like the Cobra, it has FI stock. It really saves you money, and thats what makes it go. I'm not complaining I didn't have a blower or something stock. I'm just saying that these cars may be overrated considering, or some people forget that.
While that is true, you have to also remember supras are inline 6 3.0L ... That is 2 less cylinders than our ls1's and 2.7 less liters.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Z28ID
Supras are fast because they have turbo so i think if you want to beat a supra get TT for your ls1.

WORST ARGUMENT EVER
Old 12-31-2004, 08:36 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

nice death. those things are killer. I see a red early 90's one coming up i95 from the city occasionally, never ran him past 100 or so but when I did I killed him, from a roll of about 50. weird. maybe he wasnt racing from what I've read in this thread! lol
Old 12-31-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1998camaroz28
nice death. those things are killer. I see a red early 90's one coming up i95 from the city occasionally, never ran him past 100 or so but when I did I killed him, from a roll of about 50. weird. maybe he wasnt racing from what I've read in this thread! lol
Could have been NA. Only way to tell is the 17" rims and a fmic ( if they have ). Also, some 97-98 have turbo badges on the back (dealer option)
Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Nice death.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was in Ocean City a few years back. My buddy had a 2002 z 28 automatic with full exhaust, gears, and tire. We were out and about. We saw a supra. Gorgeous car. You could have eatin off this thing. It was a targa. Black 100% stock looking except rims. We started talking. I commented on how nice his car was. He asked my buddy if he wanted to run. I yell across how much power you making. Get a reply of over 600 rwhp. I am thinking hmm maybe theres a chance because he had two of his buddies with him as well. Boy was I wrong. We went from a 40 mph roll and that damn thing put a bus length on us in matter of seconds. We caught up and we both gave him the thumbs up and went on our way. I was very impressed.

I thought about buying one but they have them at the dealser ship locally for in the $40K range. This is 10 year old car now going for as much as it did when new. They had a warranty for 5 years also. It was tempting cause these cars hold their vaule but not at $40k.

Nice death non the less. It does make you bend over backwards for more mods.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
If he is BPU+ or BPU++ A cam alone isnt going to be enough. LOL Forget APU. Bastages.
Please don't start the war of the acronyms.....

And a cam will be enough for the dyno queen, if you can get him to go from a dig!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Those cars are just awesome. Ive always wanted one, but couldnt afford to buy and mod it. Like someone else mentioned, they make crazy power, pull like a freight train, and can still pull a 1.0 on the skidpad. I would love to have a freeway monster like that! IMO they are beautiful cars!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Nice death, I had a GN do that to me from a dig whe nI first got the blower. Boy who was I kiddin it looked like I took off in reverse and I think I had at the time like 345rwhp on a vortech tune.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackTA98 LS1
While that is true, you have to also remember supras are inline 6 3.0L ... That is 2 less cylinders than our ls1's and 2.7 less liters.

exactly! How about 181ci.

that's pretty small last time I checked. 346ci for us.

Them supras are beasts too. Quick and can be even faster with major work. I well-rounded sports car with a mean top end. Even the old ones had a mean top end when modifed.

Check out this local Lexus performance shop over here in maryland.

I've seen some amazing stuff here where I had my hemi 4x4 truck dynoed. That japanese stuff can be fast, extremely fast. I would of never saw it until I was there with my own eyes. I seen a modified 3.0L put up nearly 1000rwhp. They do some amazing work here, they are sponsors of Lexus's race division. Very good tech people on turbos, etc.

www.swiftracing.com

look at the is300 setups, they even have gs400 upgrades now. Damn, those japs can build some really potent engines and when they are modified, simple amazing. Like I said, you have to see to believe, I know I seen that is300 that day. Holy sh*t.

OH, for those of you who don't know. Lexus is Toyota. Check out that link. I think you guys will be suprised. I know I was last year when I took my truck there for a dyno. OF course, you should of seen those guys faces when I put my hemi on their dyno. They were suprised too for a N/A engine. Too bad I had the governor on, lol.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 01-05-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by titanium barchetta
Please don't start the war of the acronyms.....

And a cam will be enough for the dyno queen, if you can get him to go from a dig!
Ironically if you owned a supra it wouldn't be a dyno queen cuz everyone here is a professional race driver.

There is a NA-T stock block in the 9s.. dyno queen or not..thats fast (an NA-T even!!!).. and the BPU level cars play with Stock vipers... BPU+ and BPU ++ get confusing but there is a general agreed guideline by Supra guys.. .APU cars are usually the big *** single cars with 1000+rwhp and they are far from dyno queens. If you watched a Camaro run 12 flat @ 135mph would you say it had more in it or would you just call it a dyno queen.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Ironically if you owned a supra it wouldn't be a dyno queen cuz everyone here is a professional race driver.

There is a NA-T stock block in the 9s.. dyno queen or not..thats fast (an NA-T even!!!).. and the BPU level cars play with Stock vipers... BPU+ and BPU ++ get confusing but there is a general agreed guideline by Supra guys.. .APU cars are usually the big *** single cars with 1000+rwhp and they are far from dyno queens. If you watched a Camaro run 12 flat @ 135mph would you say it had more in it or would you just call it a dyno queen.
I think titanium barchetta was being a little ironic. The majority of the supras modified are street cars, not drag cars. Not saying that there aren't any, but most want to go from a roll, not from a stop light. That's what he's trying to say I think. Correct me if I am wrong titanium barchetta.

Besides an ls1 on a cam will run 11s. It's been proven here before and plenty of power to be a drag car. I think the dyno queen term was him being sarastic. But as for the NA-T stock, there's always one crazy luck of the draw block, there's not many. That site I showed above (www.swiftracing.com), was building up there blocks for the 1000rwhp. They had no intensions of running a stock bottom end with that power. Last I checked, the motor was similar to the motor used on the supras. I will call them today and confirm this. The only thing you don't get from a small block is torque. That's the difference from a 3.0L putting up 1000rwhp and a 5.7L putting up 1000rwhp.

Hey, like I said before, I like anything that goes fast, rice, german or american; fast is fast in my opinon.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 01-06-2005 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Question

just curious what does not having a wing have to do with anything?
Old 01-06-2005, 07:18 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by BlackTA98 LS1
Could have been NA. Only way to tell is the 17" rims and a fmic ( if they have ). Also, some 97-98 have turbo badges on the back (dealer option)
no fmic, no 17inchers. so n/a? either way its hot....
Old 01-07-2005, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
I think titanium barchetta was being a little ironic. The majority of the supras modified are street cars, not drag cars. Not saying that there aren't any, but most want to go from a roll, not from a stop light. That's what he's trying to say I think. Correct me if I am wrong titanium barchetta.

Besides an ls1 on a cam will run 11s. It's been proven here before and plenty of power to be a drag car. I think the dyno queen term was him being sarastic. But as for the NA-T stock, there's always one crazy luck of the draw block, there's not many. That site I showed above (www.swiftracing.com), was building up there blocks for the 1000rwhp. They had no intensions of running a stock bottom end with that power. Last I checked, the motor was similar to the motor used on the supras. I will call them today and confirm this. The only thing you don't get from a small block is torque. That's the difference from a 3.0L putting up 1000rwhp and a 5.7L putting up 1000rwhp.

Hey, like I said before, I like anything that goes fast, rice, german or american; fast is fast in my opinon.
Gotcha.. well I guess my Z was a dyno queen then..cuz I never liked to bother racing from a dig, and I built it more for highway racing than anything. LOL My mods and my cam were not exactly matched up to win 1/4 mile races.