Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Lt-1 Vs. Ls-what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe if the guys that you beat were to post in here and tell us their side of the story.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

A few weekends ago, I raced a LS1 Firehawk. We started from around 70ish. I actually stayed with him until around 90ish. After that, he put several cars on me within a matter of few seconds. It was absurd how badly and QUICKLY he walked my ***. I shut down probably about 110 or so. He definitely got up to 140ish. Yeah. I want a ******* LS1.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shackleford
A few weekends ago, I raced a LS1 Firehawk. We started from around 70ish. I actually stayed with him until around 90ish. After that, he put several cars on me within a matter of few seconds. It was absurd how badly and QUICKLY he walked my ***. I shut down probably about 110 or so. He definitely got up to 140ish. Yeah. I want a ******* LS1.
That's what I thought the first time I raced an LS1 with my modded LT1.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
That's what I thought the first time I raced an LS1 with my modded LT1.
Yeah, I am going to install a used Magnaflow catback system in a couple weeks. That will give me a few more horses and make the car accelerate just a little bit faster. Ha.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTXMach
Again, typing too fast at work owned me, big deal. You got the point, its not my fault your **** retentive.

omg!!!!!!!!!!

After your long statement complaining about "grammer" you owned
yourself by not typing a perfectly phrased sentence, then defend yourself by calling the correcting poster "****"..............
Old 03-04-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hugger1975
omg!!!!!!!!!!

After your long statement complaining about "grammer" you owned
yourself by not typing a perfectly phrased sentence, then defend yourself by calling the correcting poster "****"..............
*grammar
Old 03-05-2005, 01:49 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shackleford
haha, after consistantly getting my *** handed to me by LS1's just like you described .... thats exactly why I got rid of my old 97 ws6 (same as this kids SS) to get an LS1 .... and 100% why I call BS to this story.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:07 AM
12 Second Club

5-2 versus LSXs in the Vette (lost to Stock C5 when I was stock and a modded Z06 last year ) No losses in the Z (but no wins either ) Love my LT1s....

BUT story just doesn't sound right. I can see a stock LT1 M6 hanging with a stock LS1 A4 especially w/2.73s, but I highly doubt one will put 2-3 cars on a modded one at that speed. Just my $0.02
Old 03-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Launching!

allright, at least hear me out, im not trying to argue or anything at all, i never said i dislike ls1's, i really do like them, thats why i want one obvisuoly.all b.s. aside you dont think its possible for a 1996 camaro ss 6 speed, stock putting down 275-ish to the wheels, plus intake and exhaust, with a 3.42 gear, couldnt hang with a automatic basically stock t/a that weighs more, and puts down relatively the same number to the wheels?i clearly dont see why not.my car will run 13.3-4, no doubt, and ive seen several ls1's especially early auto. models go into the high 13's even 14's.i will see if they will register to post and tell you what happend, i just want to know why this is such a big deal that everybody thinks lt1's are so slow.honestly, has any ls1 guys in here while there car was stock race a lt1?chances are yes, but more than likely the car was owned by a 16 year old and it probally was a 1993 auto with 180k on the clock, and from that point on you got a bad perception of lt1's by the get go.but have any of you honestly raced an extremely low mile, perfect running car ss car m6, with a pretty good driver.from a first gear roll lt1's are pretty strong b/c they make good torque at such a low rpm, so that will benefit from a first gear roll, now granted i was spinning the tires, but i know how to drive my car and if you play with it it will hook.is it honestly so impossible to believe?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaredwayt
allright, at least hear me out, im not trying to argue or anything at all, i never said i dislike ls1's, i really do like them, thats why i want one obvisuoly.all b.s. aside you dont think its possible for a 1996 camaro ss 6 speed, stock putting down 275-ish to the wheels, plus intake and exhaust, with a 3.42 gear, couldnt hang with a automatic basically stock t/a that weighs more, and puts down relatively the same number to the wheels?i clearly dont see why not.my car will run 13.3-4, no doubt, and ive seen several ls1's especially early auto. models go into the high 13's even 14's.i will see if they will register to post and tell you what happend, i just want to know why this is such a big deal that everybody thinks lt1's are so slow.honestly, has any ls1 guys in here while there car was stock race a lt1?chances are yes, but more than likely the car was owned by a 16 year old and it probally was a 1993 auto with 180k on the clock, and from that point on you got a bad perception of lt1's by the get go.but have any of you honestly raced an extremely low mile, perfect running car ss car m6, with a pretty good driver.from a first gear roll lt1's are pretty strong b/c they make good torque at such a low rpm, so that will benefit from a first gear roll, now granted i was spinning the tires, but i know how to drive my car and if you play with it it will hook.is it honestly so impossible to believe?
Hold on! Back up you said your SS was stock? Exhaust and CAI is by no means "stock".

ok, check this out.i went to a meet /car show where a bunch of f-body boys hang out down here in tampa, and i rolled up in my stone stock 1996 camaro SS.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:02 PM

Just Posted:
….. its possible for a 1996 camaro ss 6 speed, stock putting down 275-ish to the wheels, plus intake and exhaust, with a 3.42 gear, couldnt hang with a automatic basically stock t/a that weighs more, and puts down relatively the same number to the wheels?
First Post:
he (the 2000 ta he raced) was a a4 with a slp lid.bellow and a set of loudmouth .keep in mind my car is stone stock with some bald *** good-years.
There it is! The standard “oh ****, they’re calling BS on my story, I better add more mods to my car and remove mods from the other persons car” …. PWND.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
There it is! The standard “oh ****, they’re calling BS on my story, I better add more mods to my car and remove mods from the other persons car” …. PWND.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:10 PM

....for a 1996 camaro ss 6 speed, stock putting down 275-ish to the wheels, plus intake and exhaust, with a 3.42 gear, couldnt hang with a automatic basically stock t/a that weighs more, and puts down relatively the same number to the wheels? i clearly dont see why not.my car will run 13.3-4, no doubt, and ive seen several ls1's especially early auto. models go into the high 13's even 14's.
My WS6 put down 309hp to the wheels (that would be right around 350fwhp) with only a lid ... my old LT1 was in the 250rwhp range if I remember correctly (which would put it around 280fwhp). I would say a 70 hp difference is no where near the same number ... it's the same difference between you an a 80's camaro (with their 180hp) ... and we all know how fast they were.

P.S. You're using the the advertised HP (275), which is your Fwhp, NOT RWHP. Please, just stop trying.

.....honestly, has any ls1 guys in here while there car was stock race a lt1?chances are yes, but more than likely the car was owned by a 16 year old and it probally was a 1993 auto with 180k on the clock, and from that point on you got a bad perception of lt1's ......
Hey, for the 9th time, I OWNED AN 97 WS6 LT1. It had 32,000 miles on it when I purchased it, and left me at 60,000 miles. I had intake, exhaust, tuning, and 3:73's .... all of that put together seemed to put me on a somewhat even playing field with LS1's. I would never really win, but I could hang, or would only lose by a car or two.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Launching!

my car comes with intake and exhaust its an SS, rated at 310 hp, not 275, and i will guarentee my car will put down 275 wheel, yes WHEEL.ok your car put down 309 to the wheels with a lid and it a ws.6 and probally a m6, and what year is it?is it a early model auto?a lid isnt stock.if you would like i will show you numerous posts on many sites where lt1' put down 275 stock, and ls1 auto's do the same if not less at a higher rpm.sorry brother, numbers dont lie......
Old 03-05-2005, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=xphantomws6x]My WS6 put down 309hp to the wheels (that would be right around 350fwhp) with only a lid ... my old LT1 was in the 250rwhp range if I remember correctly (which would put it around 280fwhp). I would say a 70 hp difference is no where near the same number ... it's the same difference between you an a 80's camaro (with their 180hp) ... and we all know how fast they were.

I would definately not compare the difference between an LT1 and LS1 with that of an LT1 and an 80s model. 250-260 RWHP equates to more like 300 FWHP. Sorry that just hit a nerve man.

At any rate 275 RWHP is a bit of a stretch on an M6 LT1. The last few I have read or seen in mags have been putting down 260ish RWHP which is still about 30-40 less stock for stock vs an LS1. And the "exhaust and CAI" on the SS doesn't amount to enough to take a modded LS1 like you said. Please quit bouncing around with your stories.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02BlueFormula
And look at this first line does it make any sence?
sense.

BTW, I had 2 LT1's before my present 98 LS1. Ain't no way a slightly modded LS1 loses to a stock LT1. Unless there was something wrong with the car and an orangutan was behind the wheel.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:03 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by METALBEAST

I would definately not compare the difference between an LT1 and LS1 with that of an LT1 and an 80s model. 250-260 RWHP equates to more like 300 FWHP. Sorry that just hit a nerve man.

At any rate 275 RWHP is a bit of a stretch on an M6 LT1. The last few I have read or seen in mags have been putting down 260ish RWHP which is still about 30-40 less stock for stock vs an LS1. And the "exhaust and CAI" on the SS doesn't amount to enough to take a modded LS1 like you said. Please quit bouncing around with your stories.
Actually, No, it was not off topic .... Try rereading his post then mine. He is stating He puts down 275 to the wheels. BS. 275rwhp is a HUGE stretch for a stock LT1. I am sorry but this guy is retarded.

His stock SS includes a slightly upgraded intake and exhaust ... it is by NO means equivillent to an aftermarket system. Every stock LT1 I know have has dyno'd in the 235-265 range, the higher part of that range being the WS6/SS models. Stock LS1's dyno in the 280-315 rwhp range, which is a good average of 50rwhp higher ... (about the same difference of an LT1 and a 80's f-bod....which is what I was saying before, Metalbeast.)

Also, comparing an auto LS1 to a manual LT1 is benchracing at its very finest. Autos have a much higher drivetrain loss then an M6 would, so obviously they will dyno lower ... but it is made up for in the lack of shifts, and swiftness of shifts. Why do you think most 10 second and lower cars are Auto's????

Bottom line here, is this story is BS. A slow roll would have the auto LS1 drop to its sweet *** first gear, and while you sat and spun your tires he would hook right up and proceed to put buslengths on you.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Actually, No, it was not off topic .... Try rereading his post then mine. He is stating He puts down 275 to the wheels. BS. 275rwhp is a HUGE stretch for a stock LT1. I am sorry but this guy is retarded.

His stock SS includes a slightly upgraded intake and exhaust ... it is by NO means equivillent to an aftermarket system. Every stock LT1 I know have has dyno'd in the 235-265 range, the higher part of that range being the WS6/SS models. Stock LS1's dyno in the 280-315 rwhp range, which is a good average of 50rwhp higher ... (about the same difference of an LT1 and a 80's f-bod....which is what I was saying before, Metalbeast.)

Also, comparing an auto LS1 to a manual LT1 is benchracing at its very finest. Autos have a much higher drivetrain loss then an M6 would, so obviously they will dyno lower ... but it is made up for in the lack of shifts, and swiftness of shifts. Why do you think most 10 second and lower cars are Auto's????

Bottom line here, is this story is BS. A slow roll would have the auto LS1 drop to its sweet *** first gear, and while you sat and spun your tires he would hook right up and proceed to put buslengths on you.
That is what I was trying to say in the LT1 M6 vs LS1 auto comparo. Most LT1 M6s dyno in the 260 range. Now I have saw quite a few early LS1 autos dyno in the 270-low280 range (I remember the first test Motor Trend did of an M6 98 Z28 and Formula, Z28 dynoed 282 RWHP and the Formula dynoed 286 RWHP). So with a good driver, an LT1 M6 stock could DEFINATELY keep up with an early LS1 auto. At the track most early LS1 autos I have seen are not much faster than the LT1 M6s (or my buddy Dexter's 93 Formula a4 when it was stock). Just my $0.02.

But yes this story = BS
Old 03-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Launching!

there you go metal beast, its not that hard to forget, bte i have a old motor trend sitting right in front of my face that dynoed 274.6 rwhp on a m6 Z28, so thats that enough said that is saying though my ramair intake 3" y-pipe and slp TOL make me loose a good 25 rwhp?thats odd.granted this number may be rare, but very possible none the less, so lets try and put 2 and 2 togther, a car with 275 plus rwhp and a good drivrer vs. an auto with 280 rwhp at a much higher rpm, yea, your right totally impossible......damb
Old 03-06-2005, 12:20 PM
STF Veteran

there you go metal beast, its not that hard to forget, bte i have a old motor trend sitting right in front of my face that dynoed 274.6 rwhp on a m6 Z28, so thats that enough said that is saying though my ramair intake 3" y-pipe and slp TOL make me loose a good 25 rwhp?thats odd.granted this number may be rare, but very possible none the less, so lets try and put 2 and 2 togther, a car with 275 plus rwhp and a good drivrer vs. an auto with 280 rwhp at a much higher rpm, yea, your right totally impossible......damb
You seem to be implying that because the LS1 hp and tq peaks are higher, that it doesn't have anything under the curve to compare to an LT1... yeah, ok. Last dyno graph I saw of a stock SS LS1 showed torque over 300 ft/lbs (to the wheels mind you) by 2500rpm and it stayed above 300 until about 5000-5500. The LS1 peaks higher because it makes all of the power of the LT1 at low rpm and then doesn't fall off at higher rpm.

BTW, if you are really running 13.3-13.4 stone cold stock (which seems to keep changing), then you are running one of the fastest stock LT1s I've ever seen. Most I've seen are in the 13.8-14.2 area. It's like the 12.9 SS and WS6 LS1 cars, they exist for sure, but I've personally never seen one. If you can show off a 13.3 timeslip, then I'll accept that maybe you beat an LS1 on a trip to 100mph... but carlengths by 140? Ram air or not, that LS1 pulls like a beast above 100mph for a N/A engine.