Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Evo vs LS1 Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like the Wing on the EVO'S and STI'S. I grew to like them. Have you seen them with out the wing? Ill. I use to not like the EVO's, but now I do. WEIRD. I was actually thinking of trading my Low 12 second WS6 for an EVO so that I can drive it in the Winter and Summer.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:25 AM
11 Second Club

Old 09-21-2005, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, I used to like the STi and hate the Evo, but the Evo grew on me and thats what I ended up buying I love it and the best thing is, most domestics automatically think they will kick your ***, but its nice to see the look on their face when you pull on them and then slow down and wait for them to catch up

Nice kill, I imagine it has a nice turbo upgrade
Old 09-21-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude

Why even be a an LS1 enthusiast? Oh well, Love the Evo, but I love the LS1, and I am an LS1 enthusiast. Wouldn't mind the EVO as an addition, but not as a replacement.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bboyferal

Why even be a an LS1 enthusiast? Oh well, Love the Evo, but I love the LS1, and I am an LS1 enthusiast. Wouldn't mind the EVO as an addition, but not as a replacement.

I actually wouldn't mind owning something like an EVO in addition to my T/A but never as a replacement.

BTW: I like them better minus the wing.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't mind them, but I just can't stand their wing and their sound. But most importantly: I can't see spending $30K+ on a Lancer just because it now has turbo, AWD, and suspension upgrades. Low $20K's would make more sense, but hey, there's actually people out there willing to pay twice the price of a basic Lancer, so I guess it only makes sense for Mitsu to have the price tag that high.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:16 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry but I disagree with your comment. Put it this way for $30K your getting one of the best handling cars in the world, turbo, awd, room and tons of potential> It cant even be compared to a Lancer, thats like saying your WS6 is just a V6 with a ram air hood, its not huge difference right? Same here. An exhaust on any 4 cylinder can sound good, if you get the right exhaust. Most guys get some cheap exhaust which is why most imports sound like crap, then again its all subjective. Personally I love the sound of a Mustang with an exhaust way more than any exhaust I have ever heard on any LS1/LT1 etc..

The wing is not for looks, it has a purpose, I have driven all kinds of cars over 150mph and believe me of all the cars I have driven none of them feel more planted to the road than the Evo does at those speeds. Im not trying to start a flame war, just my 02 cents, but your comparing apples to oranges with those two.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Sorry but I disagree with your comment. Put it this way for $30K your getting one of the best handling cars in the world, turbo, awd, room and tons of potential> It cant even be compared to a Lancer, thats like saying your WS6 is just a V6 with a ram air hood, its not huge difference right? Same here. An exhaust on any 4 cylinder can sound good, if you get the right exhaust. Most guys get some cheap exhaust which is why most imports sound like crap, then again its all subjective. Personally I love the sound of a Mustang with an exhaust way more than any exhaust I have ever heard on any LS1/LT1 etc..

The wing is not for looks, it has a purpose, I have driven all kinds of cars over 150mph and believe me of all the cars I have driven none of them feel more planted to the road than the Evo does at those speeds. Im not trying to start a flame war, just my 02 cents, but your comparing apples to oranges with those two.
I agree that the EVO's are packaged well, but for an optioned out MR your looking at 35,000-38,000, which is pretty damn expensive for an EVO in my opinion. Not trying to quote the highest price ever, just thats what my buddy saw for prices when he was looking for his MR. The cars def have a ton of potential, especially since they have forged engines, unlike the STI or the SRT-4. As for room I guess there is more room in an EVO over an F-body, but not a whole lot. Also its true about the exhaust, some people like it some dont, but it does depend on the quality of the system because I was listening to one of my friends WRX's yesterday who just got a turboback system and its sounds friggen mean! I guess its the 4-cams though that give it that tone but I really liked it. Of course I will always take the sounds of a nice rumbling v-8 exhaust system over a 4-cylinder, but thats just my preference. Of course QuikZ06 you have the best of both worlds, id love to have those two cars in my garage, they look badass from the pics in your sig!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

I prefer the DSM's over the evos... Not the way some ppl build them but my style. No body kit, stickers or any of that crap. Early 2g with the tiny wing... etc.

While they definately handle extremely well the EVO is still a modifed mac strut car where as the 2g DSM a 4 wheel SALA suspension. 1g DSM's have a suspension closer to the EVO's. The evos are alot more potent in stock form than any DSM ever was, hp, lateral grip etc... As for total modified potential in the right hands.. there are some differences.

Do Konis and GCs or even JIC's, ES master kit of bushings, big sways etc. do everything equal right down to tires and the DSM will out carve the EVO on the autocross course. .. A 2g DSM makes a much worse ralley car but a better road racer. I have had a MR owner riding shotgun for a tour of some twisties... "Oh my god is this glued to the road"

The AWD 2g DSM cars unibody is so stiff... Even a 1200hp car wouldn't need subframe connectors... They get a cage but you dont need to stiffen the bottom any. The evos are also plenty stiff as it was concieved for rally use. The chasis is one reason a full weight (AC etc) AWD DSM is'nt too far off from many f bodies in weight.

Once you have mastered the DSM you can build some extremely potent cars for much less than starting with a car you still have alot of payments to make on. There is also an advantage of having 5yrs to R&D and dial it in..

Oh and two steps are the shiznit for any drag vehicle. Msd was making those when most people including my aging *** still had GenI SBC's, holley carbs and recurved HEI distributors...
Old 09-29-2005, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Quik Z06

Well stated..I actually traded my 98 TA in for a 2005 EVO. I love my car, plus love the feel when boost kicks in.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DANS LS1
Well stated..I actually traded my 98 TA in for a 2005 EVO. I love my car, plus love the feel when boost kicks in.
I love boost too. That's why I'll soon be installing a turbo. LS1 for me, though.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
I don't mind them, but I just can't stand their wing and their sound. But most importantly: I can't see spending $30K+ on a Lancer just because it now has turbo, AWD, and suspension upgrades. Low $20K's would make more sense, but hey, there's actually people out there willing to pay twice the price of a basic Lancer, so I guess it only makes sense for Mitsu to have the price tag that high.

let me put this into terms for you.

look at the differences between the lancer, and the evo, and then think about you statement, and you will see how wrong you are.

things the evo has that the regular lancer does not.

all 4 brembo brakes cost? probably about 5k.

HID lights. about 1k

completely different drivetrain with forged rods, and crank, add a turbo, add a completely different transmission and add AWD to that transmission.

Add racing seats

aluminum fenders

aluminum hood

much nicer rims

stickier tires

TONS better suspension

etc....There's so much more into the evo than thel ancer that it actually makes the car WELL Worth the price that mitsu is offering. Whenyou break it down, it's a deal.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

offtopic but I used to live in Lombard and work in Addison. Good runs man, ya gotta fast little import. I wouldn't mind driving one as a daily driver but they's out of my price range!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
let me put this into terms for you.

look at the differences between the lancer, and the evo, and then think about you statement, and you will see how wrong you are.

things the evo has that the regular lancer does not.

all 4 brembo brakes cost? probably about 5k.

HID lights. about 1k

completely different drivetrain with forged rods, and crank, add a turbo, add a completely different transmission and add AWD to that transmission.

Add racing seats

aluminum fenders

aluminum hood

much nicer rims

stickier tires

TONS better suspension

etc....There's so much more into the evo than thel ancer that it actually makes the car WELL Worth the price that mitsu is offering. Whenyou break it down, it's a deal.
I agree, but I think that the evo rs and the evo VIII models are the best deals, the MR is getting way up there in cost. Your right though for the price you can really find another car with awd and a forged turboed engine. I mean the sti is about the same cost and its engine isnt forged and has that awful top-mount intercooler setup.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

**** that evo, a teenagers dream car!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blazinws6kush
**** that evo, a teenagers dream car!
LOL and a camaro isnt a teenagers wet dream? Get real.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

no not really kids like the imports now way more than domestics.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
I agree that the EVO's are packaged well, but for an optioned out MR your looking at 35,000-38,000, which is pretty damn expensive for an EVO in my opinion. Not trying to quote the highest price ever, just thats what my buddy saw for prices when he was looking for his MR. The cars def have a ton of potential, especially since they have forged engines, unlike the STI or the SRT-4. As for room I guess there is more room in an EVO over an F-body, but not a whole lot. Also its true about the exhaust, some people like it some dont, but it does depend on the quality of the system because I was listening to one of my friends WRX's yesterday who just got a turboback system and its sounds friggen mean! I guess its the 4-cams though that give it that tone but I really liked it. Of course I will always take the sounds of a nice rumbling v-8 exhaust system over a 4-cylinder, but thats just my preference. Of course QuikZ06 you have the best of both worlds, id love to have those two cars in my garage, they look badass from the pics in your sig!
lol....how much was a optioned out firehawk? 45k+ I don't even know, but I know it was up there...how about a optioned out SS....now compare those prices to the base v6...doesn't really make since to pay (don't know how much the base firebird was)15k or more jsut for a v8 and a t-56 tranny...right? You cang et a evo rs for 27 or 28k. WRXs sound that way because it is a boxer engine..not an inline 4cyl.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
no not really kids like the imports now way more than domestics.

maybe in your part of the world, but dont forget there are other places that are different. One of those is where im from.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
maybe in your part of the world, but dont forget there are other places that are different. One of those is where im from.
So you are from another planet, then...

I'm just messin'

Didn't think there was a place here in the US where domestics would be popular within a younger crowd.