Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GTO beats up on LT1's, LS1's, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:39 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok...

I did not use the juice until the LT1 6 speed car came up next to me at 120 mph, then it was just silly how hard I pulled him...

i also beat a 2000 Firehawk 6 speed from a dig three times, by at least 2 cars each time.

I am a good driver, I cut 1.5 short time on my Camaro with stock 10 bolt, 3.23 gears, on 17 in BFG drag radials...I always get the lauch on most everyone I race on the street, period.

The people I raced were not good drivers...the passenger in the black LT1 is a good driver, and if he was running the black 6 speed car I imagine I would have gotten beat by 2 cars realistically (off the bottle)...

I didn't expect the GTO to run as good as it is, I also had to take mroe timing out today, it was getting .7 degree KR at zero timing advance, so I took a degree out (timing tuner) on motor to eliminate KR...I have heard the GTO's have low timing, but mine apparently doesn't (maybe its the CAI I have, not sure)

My mods are as follows...

Home made CAI kit, from LS2GTO.com (rubber elbow 4", aluminum tube 4", reducer 4"to3.5", stock MAF, K&N conical air filter....actually feels a little slower down low, doesn't spin tires as much as stock setup, but seems to pick up a little midrange and above...

NGK TR6 spark plugs gapped at .038 (actually would make car slower NA if anything), makes the car idle a little rough but cleans up as soon as you give it gas.

Walboro intank 340 gsm fuel pump, modified bucket like on the F-body's

NX wet kit, single nozzle, 15 lb bottle, heater and blanket (when in trunk, bottle gets ******* cold in this winter weather)...stock 150 hp jetting

ramchargers timing tuner, played with it alot, settled on -1 degree on motor (still don't know exactly why it gat KR on motor with no timing retard) and take out 4 degrees on 150 shot (still ahs .7 KR with 4 degrees out.

Metco valve cover breather (dipstick pushed out on 150 shot)

EVERYTHING ELSE IS BONE STOCK...down to the air in teh tires, programming, suspension, gears, etc...I will pick up a pair of Nitto DR's when the weather gets nicer

I have beaten every car from a dead stop I have raced, but have been beaten on kicks with 6-speed LS1 cars (if they get the jump just a little)...but I race from a dig whenever possible. With an auto, going from a kick against a 6-speed kind of sucks...

I will definately take it to the track when it opens, I bet 13.7 or so on motor and 12.0 or so on juice...

The other drivers as I said were kind of shitty, the black camaro is a god driver, but does not abuse his tranny/clutch like a great 6 speed driver...I kind of want a converter on the GTO, but with the juice, Nitto's+converter wouldn't work, would have to go with stickier tire, and don't want to as this is a dialy driver for my Fiancee and me on teh weekends...Camaro is for racing.

I know it seems implausible that a stock heavy *** GTO (with a heavy *** 270 lb driver) can beat all these cars, but remember, on the street the launsh determines everything, and the GTO launches great.

Come to Ft. Wayne and lets race...I know my GTO isn't all that fast, but it is kicking *** so far!

Last edited by SDB; 03-20-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll Race You Minus The Juice!
Old 03-20-2005, 08:52 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

its about 3 hours from Detroit...come on down...I may be up there at Livernois or APE in teh spring....

If your Camaro was stock I would gladly run you off hte juice, but damn you got a converter, that is a lot...ok ok, I will race you off the bottle, just be forwarned, my car picks up real good in second gear!!!

I no longer call it juice, I call it the no-passing-switch....

SDB
Old 03-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Banned

I wish I had my stock converter back in so we could run!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll run you on the juice. Ft. Wayne is only about 2 1/2 hours maybe we can hook up in about 2 weeks.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

i live 15 minutes from the fort. ill run you NA. what 1/4 mile track are you running at this time of the year? i would also love to see a 3.23 auto car cut a 1.5sec 60ft time. let me know, my car will be out of storage in about three weeks.
justin
Old 03-21-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SDB
its about 3 hours from Detroit...come on down...I may be up there at Livernois or APE in teh spring....

If your Camaro was stock I would gladly run you off hte juice, but damn you got a converter, that is a lot...ok ok, I will race you off the bottle, just be forwarned, my car picks up real good in second gear!!!

I no longer call it juice, I call it the no-passing-switch....

SDB

Let me know if you go to Milan. I would like to see this.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

bring the goat to irp this sat or on tuesday nights this summer look for a 2000 ss black with white hocky stick stripes on it. cam only tnt f1 & bolt ons. befor cam & juice 12.68 @107.8. bring money. i have'nt been beat by any goats i would like to see?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02 wife
I wish I had my stock converter back in so we could run!
Come on down, I will race you off the bottle...we hang out at Halls on Lima Rd. and Coliseum...Friday and Saturday nights, just ask for the little nice guy in the Black GTO
Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shoulder Shaker
I'll run you on the juice. Ft. Wayne is only about 2 1/2 hours maybe we can hook up in about 2 weeks.
hopefully the weather will be better in two wCome on down, I will race you on or off the bottle...we hang out at Halls on Lima Rd. and Coliseum...Friday and Saturday nights, just ask for the little nice guy in the Black GTO
Old 03-21-2005, 09:37 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Let me know if you go to Milan. I would like to see this.
I will try to get some friends to go to Milan, our local track (muncie) sucks...hopefully this spring I will bring the GTO and the Camaro up there on teh same day...
Old 03-21-2005, 09:39 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002z28
i live 15 minutes from the fort. ill run you NA. what 1/4 mile track are you running at this time of the year? i would also love to see a 3.23 auto car cut a 1.5sec 60ft time. let me know, my car will be out of storage in about three weeks.
justin
I did this at Norwalk on the dead of summer (last week of July) on a Mowtown Muscle track rental day, and my converter was toasted (bad stator), I was actually running .8 slower NA than previous with my old converter at Muncie (much worse track)...Now I have a Yank PT4000 converter, so the converter issue is solved.

My Camaro is still apart, getting nastier, hopefully be done before too long...

come to Halls on Coliseum and Lima
Old 03-21-2005, 09:41 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by (JRracing 24
bring the goat to irp this sat or on tuesday nights this summer look for a 2000 ss black with white hocky stick stripes on it. cam only tnt f1 & bolt ons. befor cam & juice 12.68 @107.8. bring money. i have'nt been beat by any goats i would like to see?
I would love to see a bolt on only car go 12.68 at IRP...never seen that before (unless we are talking no interior, gutted/weight reduction, 28 in. tall tires, skinnies, etc). I will try to come down on a Saturday...but if you want to race for money, I will have to bring my 2000 Camaro Z28...should be a good race with me off the bottle and you on the bottle...

Is IRP test-n-tune only on Tuesday nights? Can you test-n-tune on Saturday to get more runs in?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Banned

I might just come to Fort Wayne. Come to think of it I was there in 2000. My ex girlfriend and I visted her father.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Default body style

Don't get me wrong I love the GTO; it's interior and the engine. But does anyone else think it looks to much like a Cavalier from the outside (especially the ones w/out the ram air hood)?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Nice kills man....that's a mean goat you got there
Old 03-21-2005, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

My buddy's bolt-on massive weight reduction 93 Z-28 ran a 12.51.........

I wouldn't mind a race in IN. I drive through Indy on I70 every year in june-july timeframe on my way home from the AF in NJ on vacation. We can do on and off the bottle if you like. I am only N/A
Old 03-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by igotmyls1
But does anyone else think it looks to much like a Cavalier from the outside (especially the ones w/out the ram air hood)?

I clearly does NOT look like a Cavalier.

It looks like a Grand Prix.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

I raced my buddy Ed in his M6 04 GTO from a 50 roll and put3 cars on him before I shut down out of fear for cops. I was going about 85-90.

Nice kills BTW
Old 03-22-2005, 12:38 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by igotmyls1
Don't get me wrong I love the GTO; it's interior and the engine. But does anyone else think it looks to much like a Cavalier from the outside (especially the ones w/out the ram air hood)?
I refer to it as my Fat Cavalier...I am getting to like the understated/European look of the outside better and better (still don't actually like it though), but the interior is THE best interior of any car I have owned or driven. It is quiet, no wind noise, handles great, brakes great, feels VERY solid...makes me hate driving my Camaro (other than the Camaro is really fast!)...For a daily driver I love it. It has a better fit and finish and interior than the Vette and MUCH better seats....

SDB