Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

A tricked Yamaha R6 and me

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A tricked Yamaha R6 and me

I went to the office, and then went and got the car inspected. As I came back into town, I saw three Yamaha R6's. I drove nice and easy by them, with my cutout closed. They just looked over like "oh, a red trans am." They were lowered, with exhaust, and probably any other bolt ons.

So I flipped the electric cutout open, (I love this freakin thing!) and Wha! Very loud, but very mean as hell. We were going through town at about 45 and I dropped it in 2nd and tapped the throttle a couple of times. Got the lead guys attention! So we go down the road a bit until traffic clears.

The lead R6 comes beside me and drops it in gear. We were side by side at about 70. I drop mine into 3rd and GO! I got a jump on him and we locked in up to about 120 or so. When the next stop light came up, I rolled the window down, and he flipped his visor. "Man that's a fast car!" Me, "Thanks good run" and I drove off.

It just makes me feel all warm inside when I keep up with a crotch rocket.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Uhh, those things trap mid 120s and do low 11s. Do you have an extra 100 shot or something from whats mentioned in your sig? Ever take your car to the tracK and get your trap speed?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Its called the street and anything can happen. GOOD RUN! Car sounds mean.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

And with his mods he could prob keep up from a roll
Old 04-08-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, from a 0-60 run, the bike would stomp me good,ie. power to weight ratio. But, you give me a 600cc from about 60 on up, and things start to get interesting.

Boy, I can't wait to get the spray. If I had it today, I probably would have been able to keep up with a liter bike from 70 up. Don't underestamate a 6 speed on top end. Modded right with a good tune, and they fly.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

setxws6 u have one of the best price/performance mod lists for an ls1. its exactly what i want. i was wondering with the predator tune, what kinda horse power do u think your putting to the ground?? also how is that 10 bolt holding up?? do u do alot of races from a stop or are u a roll racer. i personally have a fetish for roll racing, whether it be 10 mph or 80 mph, im just curious if u think the 10bolt will hold up for that kinda racing.

looking forward to see what u can do with a some nitrous
Old 04-08-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well deetsnai, I personally believe that my car is putting out every bit of 400rwhp. Now I've never dynoed my car, but in the quarter mile with a big time sliping clutch, 315 drag radials, and heavy wheels all the way around, I ran about 114 mph. Now that I have the stage 3 clutch in I know it's way better. And with light weight wheels and tire, I should be able to trap at least 117. That's right there with the majority of cammed only cars mph.

The predator is great. If you know what you are doing you can easily have a good tune with it. I think a custom tune would only give me about 5 more Hp. Not worth it to me. Plus it was great for adjusting the fuel trim when started modding up the car. The headers and the cam change the fuel curve up a bit. You can do a search and find a few different threads on how to tune with the predator.

As far as the 10 bolt...I'm comfident that mine will hold up for a while. Why? Because I'm not putting anything sticker that a Nitto Drag radial on. Also, because I'm leaving the stock 3.42 gear in, which is a stronger ring and pinion that a 4.10 for example. I have a rearend girdle and keep the fluid level good with Royal Purple. Because of all of these reasons it has held up geat. Besides, I'm not a avid drag racer at the track, where a 12 bolt would come in handy. No, my car is a beast that rules the streets. ( At least in my area)

I like leaving from a dig or from a roll. Both can be fun. It's just the dig that needs more attention. 6 speeds are king from a roll though.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you have one mean car!!!! That sounds about right from a 70 roll. Any lower speed and I would have called Good kill.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

After owning a TSP 231/237/headers/true duals/bolt-on Formula, selling it, buying the bike in sig...I'm not believing this story at all.

My "little" 600 would flat out OWN my Formula at any speed.

You must have a freak car, or the bike was in the wrong gear (both of which are logical possibilities).

Nice run anyways.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well 5 point 7, I don't know what to tell you. It did happen. It was a 03-04 R6 lowered, exhaust, and I would guess that he had intake mods,etc. After we raced and we stopped at the next stop light, I even asked him if its was a 600...he said yep. He and his buddies look like they weren't noobie riders. He was pretty surprised.

We were rolling about 70mph. I heard him drop it a couple of gears. So I dropped mine into 3rd.

Not to disrespect your sold Formula. But I've actually heard and seen that a really large cam on stock heads really hurts tq. I'm not sure.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

You're right, my old car wasn't a tq monster...but tq isn't an issue when you're in your cam's rpm range. Not to mention steep gears eliminates that shortcoming.

You guys didn't go from a dig, you went from a roll. C'mon, trap speed determines who wins roll races. R6's and Gixxer's are so similar it's not even funny. Your TR224 traps mid 120's?

If so, congrats. You should be a record-holder.

Last edited by 5POINT7; 04-09-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, one thing your not thinking about, is power to weight ratio. In the 1/4 mile, and R6 has awsome 0-60 times. This is where the power to weight ratio comes into play. I can't 0-60 like that, because my engine has to get 3600 hundred pounds moving. However, once I'm going, lets say 70, I already have momentum.

The bike has a faster accelaration in the quarter, which is why it will trap a higher speed, because it got to 60(or whatever speed) faster from a stand still than me. SO the bike still has xxxxx amount of space before the 1/4 mile is up, which gives him more area to accelarate. But from a roll is different, the bike didn't have the advatage of get the faster accelration. From a roll, my momentum is there and it's just all out horsepower.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice job, wanna try me in my 05 zx6r! not to be an ***...but dont push your luck w/the liter bikes. 180 hp on a frame/body about 20lbs heavier (if that nowadays if youve felt the 05 zx10r's). that equals a big ouch in many ways: pavement from looping a wheely, lowsiding through a turn, and killing 95% of cars on the road. damnit i want one. anyways, nice job, hopefully i'll be able to keep up w/myself sometime soon.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Teching In

i watch this board a long time ago,but registered right now.
this is a great forum,i love it
BUT I HAVE TO RAISE THE BS FLAG ON THIS STORY
i own a hayabusa,wich is suposed to be the fastest/quickest bike so far.
but thats nothing new.they run 9s in the 1/4 @ 140+mph right of the showroomfloor.but thats nothing new.they run 10s even with the biggest moron ride it.
the news is that a good rider can hit 9s IN THE QUARTER WITH EXACTLY AN R6.at 135mph.
IT WAS DONE BY RICKEY GADSEN!!!!bike was just lowered and regeared,everything else stock!!!!!
I dont know if you guys have an idea about the acceleration of a busa,but i have buddies with 600cc bikes an they can keep up with me till 100mph no problem,then i pull away.they beat the **** out of a 98viper(they trap like 119mph)on a regular basis.no way you can hang with a proppery ridden 600 bike,sorry.maybe rider sucked..
a 600cc bike does 0-120mph in about 8,5seconds.an f-body ls1 would need 600rwhp to do so at least,at very least.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 to what balkanbusa said.

"Setxws6", have you ever ridden a sport bike?
Old 04-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

ok 4 god sake maybe the rider didnt wanna push the bike to hard or somthin he was there u wernt let it go hes sharing a story to entertain us SHUT THE **** UP
Old 04-09-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

boy...some people just hate to see a bike get beat!! everytime theres a LS1 vs bike thread you have the idiots that have to come on a say " BS...No WAY" " my 600 runs 9s"

his race could have definately happed.
last summer i was making 416rwhp and RAN away from a gxr 600...i beleive it was a late 90s maybe a 2000. we went from 40 to 80 and then he wanted to go again, we went from 70-120 and got beat BOTH times. as i topped out 4th (125mph) he started to gain some ground back but by then it was to late.

this guy is probably close to 400rwhp and definately could hang with a 600 from a roll.
you guys that dont wanna believe this, go some else and cry. we dont wanna hear how fast your stupid bike is. you guys forget anything can happen on the street...if the rider sucked at racing his bike...to bad he got beat case closed.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Teching In

seems like there are to many idiots riding bikes,who dont have a clue what they are doing.
didnt day couldt not happen,but cmon guy a statement like:the bike begann to pull allittle at 120+mph,BULLCRAP!!!!
if that was the case,then the bike was in wrong gear and came slowly into its powerband and then started gaining.its 0-140where bikes RULE,and at140+ a ls1 better bring at least 500+rwhp to the battle.
a good friend of me owns a 98viper.410rwhp and for sure more torque than an n/a ls1 and when he races 600cc bikes from 60mph he gets FLAT OUT CRUSHED.not even a race.

TO ALL NONBELIEVERSID YOU EVER RIDE A 600cc or BIGGER SPORTBIKE?
GO AND TRY IT;THE ACCELERATION IS AN UNBELIEVABLE RUSH,MOST FIRST TIMERS ALMOST **** IN THEIR PANTS!!!

i myself couldnt imagine the power of bikes before i rode on a zx12r as a passenger.i was laughing at them.at that time i had a 80s vette with a383stroker and nitrous.i tought i was the hottest streetracer in town.HAHAHA,what a joke compared to the bike,didnt even need to race to find out who was faster.the acceleration scared the living **** out of me,i was so happy when the ride was over,WAAAY to much for my nerves was that.

SO PLEASE GUYS GO RIDE A 600cc SPORTBIKE AND THEN COME BACK WITH STATEMENTS LIKE 400hp ls1 kills bike blabla
those little beasts are in the 10s with a more or less experienced rider.
dont want to offend anyone,but if you never were on one fast bike,you cannot imagine the power and speed.120bhp and under 400pounds.ls1:400hp with 3800lbs,cmon guys.
BETTER BRING AS MUCH RWHP AS MUCH CCS A BIKE HAS.
its only a matter of time till someone with boltons post he can hang with a r1
Old 04-09-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

balkanbusa, i dont give a **** on the following excuses:

"he just got the bike and didnt know how to drive yet."
"his bike probably wasnt running right."
" the bike was in the wrong gear"...haha..he had 2 (TWO) chances with me and he got shut down BOTH times. on the street you usually get 1 chance....and you better be riding 100% when you get that chance.
"he was just playin with you"

there are more than a few cammed ls1's hanging or beating 600's from a roll. this isnt the 1st time this has happened. we heard all your excuse's before.

both bike and LS1 driven to FULL potential, the outcome might be different....but like i said on the street anything can happen and when you race you car/bike it better 100% tuned and working and the driver better be top notch...if not tooo freaking badd.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well Busa man, again, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not some one that bullshits and makes up stories, just so people on here I never have met will be impressed or something. It was an experiance that happened to me yesterday and I thought I would share.

I totally understand how fast sportbikes are. THERE FAST! Amazing power to weight ratio. Especially the liter bikes and the hayabusa. It would take a lot to keep up with those bikes.

Back when I had just bolt-ons and my stock clutch, I knew a guy with a Kawasaki 600cc. He had a few bolt-ons and it was a carbed bike around 2000 model. He had a year of experiance. We rolled from about 65 and I had the move. He pulled me up to about 85 or so and put about 2-3 cars on me. But then we locked in up to about 130 or so.

So now that I have my cam and clutch and a few other things since then, Why can't I keep up with a 600cc sportbike at 70+?

Oh, and I've never heard of a 600cc bike going in the 9's stock. Must be something extravagant.

Quick Reply: A tricked Yamaha R6 and me